General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 4/16/07, 08:55 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
I understand where you're coming from, now hear me out.

Leo is like me. For club cruise-in's, car gatherings, etc., it's very casual and your car only needs to be 'presentable'. But for a car show, where you have to pay money, have seperate Classes, is being judged or People's Choice'd, the objective is to win.
This is the only reason why I passed the Knott's show. I'm not going to subject myself to extra prepping duties, pay money, and bake out in the sun (any my car) for nothing in return (no offense Leo ). Don't get me wrong, I don't expect to place everytime I enter, but having a shot at a trophy is what I'm striving for; just like setting a goal. At this upcoming Knott's show, there is no shot. Leo was being nice when he gave himself a 100:1 odds, truth is, it's more like 300+:1. The way it'll go down is that they'll have 3 celebrity Trophies, where each 'celebrity' will pick their favorite car among the 1100+ entries and those lucky 3 will get a trophy.

As far as being there just to check out other rides and get ideas, I'll be doing that too... but for free and without my car there.
I hear you. Actually, I feel the same way as you.

Recently, I've started taking a new approach to shows: driving my car there, seeing what's there, then leaving. If I'm going to sit in the hot sun all day, I'd rather do it IN the car then next to it.

I only actually show my car once or twice a season (fall and spring), and I try to stay away from all-mustang shows. Not because I don't have a good chance of winning, but because the "open" shows tend to have a mix of cars, therefore a nice mustang stands out just like a nice import or a nice truck does. It's more like a cruise-in that way. Competing against 20 other mustangs is neither fun nor "rewarding" to me. And, your car pretty much ends up looking like every other mustang there, no matter what you have done to it (assuming it's relatively stock).
Old 4/16/07, 10:24 AM
GTR Member

I really didn't even clean either car for this car show knowing it was only "People's Choice". I wiped them both down, yes, but didn't detail them. I like getting an award, but enjoy spending time with other TMS members more.
Old 4/16/07, 10:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Brian and I will be heading to the Mustang Cafe this Wednesday night. It'll just be a wipe down for me too.

First cruise-in for Spring, so there may be plenty of Stangs that'll show up.

After this, I have a C-17 carshow on May 10. It'll be all kinds of cars here, should be interesting.
Old 4/16/07, 11:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Mike-I'd respond but Bill pretty much summed it all up.
Old 4/16/07, 12:16 PM

Leo, going for your oil change soon? Just wonderin' since you bought sum earl from Wally World yesterday.
Old 4/16/07, 12:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Leo, going for your oil change soon? Just wonderin' since you bought sum earl from Wally World yesterday.
Yeah I've got 90 miles before I hit 15,000. I just need to stop by the local Kragens and pick up a Mobil1 filter and one more quart since they didn't have either at Walmart. Should I pick up a filter wrench while I'm there???

BTW-I may or may not have the stripes on before the this weekend.
Old 4/16/07, 02:57 PM
GTR Member

I'm looking into getting my next mod:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3170180

Maybe not exactly that one (or from there), but something similar. I have a store near me doing some research for a used one, since that may look more authentic that a brand new one.

Obviously, this is for the '89...
Old 4/16/07, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Should I pick up a filter wrench while I'm there???

I would. Get the claw kind, it'll remove all, no matter how tight the Dealer put it on. Who cares if the filter gets chewed up, you're going to toss it anyway. May want to pick up the socket cap one also.

The Mobil 1 filter recommends spinning the filter on by hand til it bottoms out, then +1 turn (thus the reason for the socket cap, incase you can't tighten it 1 revolution by hand).

No stripes? get on it! Go for the layout and install in one day, tape the perimeter of the transfer tape using some blue masking tape (so you can drive around for a day). Then the next day, peel everything off. Simple.
Old 4/16/07, 02:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper

Maybe not exactly that one (or from there), but something similar. I have a store near me doing some research for a used one, since that may look more authentic that a brand new one.

Nice!!!
Old 4/16/07, 03:02 PM

What are you planning on doing? Taking the 89 out back to shoot her??

Link shows: Remington Pump Shotgun 870 Wingmaster 16/26
Old 4/16/07, 03:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I would. Get the claw kind, it'll remove all, no matter how tight the Dealer put it on. Who cares if the filter gets chewed up, you're going to toss it anyway. May want to pick up the socket cap one also.

The Mobil 1 filter recommends spinning the filter on by hand til it bottoms out, then +1 turn (thus the reason for the socket cap, incase you can't tighten it 1 revolution by hand).

What's the socket cap one look like???

No stripes? get on it! Go for the layout and install in one day, tape the perimeter of the transfer tape using some blue masking tape (so you can drive around for a day). Then the next day, peel everything off. Simple.

I've been waiting for an extra set of hands. Last time I was about to do it I saw what a pain it's going to be trying to get it straight by myself.
Old 4/16/07, 03:12 PM
GTR Member

What are you planning on doing? Taking the 89 out back to shoot her??

Link shows: Remington Pump Shotgun 870 Wingmaster 16/26
That's correct!

The only thing any other Special Service Vehicle had on me at the show was a CHP vehicle with a vertically mounted shotgun in the passenger compartment. SCHP mounted theirs on the deck lid and my car already has the holes for the rack.

I've been toying with the idea for a long time, but after seeing that CHiP's car, I have to get one now!
Old 4/16/07, 03:20 PM

What's the socket cap one look like???

I've been waiting for an extra set of hands. Last time I was about to do it I saw what a pain it's going to be trying to get it straight by myself.
Looks like one of these..

I'd give you a hand if you were closer (WITH THE STRIPES!).

That's correct!

The only thing any other Special Service Vehicle had on me at the show was a CHP vehicle with a vertically mounted shotgun in the passenger compartment. SCHP mounted theirs on the deck lid and my car already has the holes for the rack.

I've been toying with the idea for a long time, but after seeing that CHiP's car, I have to get one now!
I think the Law Enforcement shotguns have a shorter barrel (to get in/out of the car easier plus other tactical reasons). I think those barrel lengths are illegal for civies to own. You may want to look into that.
Old 4/16/07, 03:27 PM
GTR Member

I think the Law Enforcement shotguns have a shorter barrel (to get in/out of the car easier plus other tactical reasons). I think those barrel lengths are illegal for civies to own. You may want to look into that.
You mean illegal to own the shorter ones?

I emailed all the Troops of the SCHP and so far 2 have replied. They were always kept in the trunk. (This would mean they didn't have to get them in and out of the car.) They used several models of the Remington 870, so any blued finish, walnut stock, 18-20" barrel shotgun would be authentic.

The one I showed is too long, but it was just to give a general idea.

I found FL gun laws: it's not illegal to buy (or carry) a shotgun of any length:

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/FLSL.pdf

It is in CA, though:

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/CASL.pdf

Do a search for "shot" in both of those pdf files... it comes up only 3 times in FL, but 11 times in CA!
Old 4/16/07, 03:52 PM
Cobra R Member

What stripes are you putting on? Details please

Hopefully, you're not putting Lemans style in graphite on, because if so I'm going to regret asking, as I'm still considering them. But everytime I think about them, I think about wanting the stealth look instead.
Old 4/16/07, 04:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by mikes rx
What stripes are you putting on? Details please

Hopefully, you're not putting Lemans style in graphite on, because if so I'm going to regret asking, as I'm still considering them. But everytime I think about them, I think about wanting the stealth look instead.
Just some rocker stripes that end at the door. Here's a pic to give you in idea. Keep in mind I'm putting them along the rocker and not like the CS in the pic.BTW-I got them in matte black.

http://www.baltimorestreetmods.com/i.../gtcsside2.jpg
Old 4/16/07, 05:39 PM

They used several models of the Remington 870, so any blued finish, walnut stock, 18-20" barrel shotgun would be authentic.
I'm pretty sure all the LE shotguns have a parkerized finish, not blued, and especially not in Florida with all tha humidity.

If you can legally own a 12GA w/18" barrel, that's what you need.
Old 4/16/07, 06:33 PM
Cobra R Member

Exclamation I've beat LEO on showing a NEW ITEM :)

Hey Leo, I've found a new product.

I'm not saying I like it, but I did find it first.

Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MUSTA...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 4/16/07, 07:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Can someone shoot me the info on the Knott's car show?
Old 4/16/07, 07:26 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mike, I totally agree w/ you about the shows..even though i had a good time seeing TMS members at the last show here, I didn't have a good time besides. here are my reasons why:
1. Too **** hot to be in the sun all freakin day (over 90 degrees)
2. Too many mustangs(there were over 400 cars ,and most of them were stangs) I couldn't possibly tell you which ones I liked best)
3. this was peoples choice(I was tired and lazy and did not vote for anything except toms cop mobile,so imagine how other people felt)and Tom was right about people getting a ton of their friends to vote for them just so they could win
4. 30.00 fee with nothing included(except a 4x6 photo(not good quality)
5. I was bored after about 3 hours
6. 50's music (can't stand almost all of it)

Car shows I would like better:
1. a mix of different manufacturers to make your ride more memorable
2. nite shows
3. shorter stays w/ judges judging and peoples choice(4 hours max)
4. Hot chicks everywhere(need some nice eye candy besides cars)
5. More food vendors(variety)
6. music from the 80's on up
Anyways this is JMO and I'm sure a lot of people love the shows the way they are

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)