General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 3/30/07, 07:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I average around 15-16 MPG and I drive exclusively in town driving.

One thing I did notice with Doug's Race Tune concerning the idle RPM. With it stock, 87P, 91P & 91T the RPM would rush over 1k at start, go back to about 1k till warm then settle to 800-900. With the 91R Tune, I start the car it jumps to 1k then drops immediately to 800-900 with no 1k warm up idle. Does anyone else's do this?

I like the black stripes on the cup holder bezel. Would definitely like to see the finished product installed for an overall look.
Old 3/30/07, 07:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by habu
Got band exhaust clamps from a Napa for $10 a piece !! But the exhaust leak is getting worse, it should be OK driving to Gardena and back to Whittier so I can fix it before CBad Saturday, right ?

On the Bamatune... where is your idle normally. Mine is about 800-900 and sometimes hangs at around 1000 and I have to blip the throttle before it drops to 750 and raises back to the 800-900. It's a little annoying.

Does yours trumpet right around 2500 or so ? I find I don't get on the car as much as I used to to avoid unwanted (police) attention. I noticed this week driving it I rarely go above 2500 and short shift to fifth. In doing so I'm getting about 12mpg. Does this all sound right ?
exhaust
You should be able to swap in the new band clamps without too much issues. Sounds like you're doing it, so take note of the rotational position of the rear pipes and adjust so they don't hang down as low as it is now.
To make it easier on yourself, I'd pull the axle-backs off completely to make it easier to slide those rear pipes back far enough to access the band clamps. Just remember, all the tip adjustments can be done at those mid-pipe band clamps.

Bamatune
+1 on what Tom said. Only when cold does the RPM's rev a little high, but when warm, it settles down.
Can't hurt to double check your CAI connections as well as that tube that runs from the camcover to the side of the C&L airtube.

trumpet
Yes, it's there, but I really don't notice (or care) about it. I guess if you focus on the trumpeting and perceive it as annoying (Tom.. ), it can get to your nerves. Leo and I really don't care about it, it's just the way it is.

MPG
12 mpg? Did you mean 21?
I have no idea what I'm averaging, but I'd guess it's a genuine 12.

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Finally got my 3M tape from CDC although I think it's only enough for one louver. I'll find out tomorrow when I try and install them. I'll also be putting on the rocker stripes. I'll make sure to post pics when I'm all done.
You don't have to tape all the way around. Take a look at my DG louver album and see where mine's were taped. Have to allow for water drainage.

Daryl did a write-up on the rocker stripes, it's in my how-to. You may want to give it a once over.

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
As far as the trumpeting, yes it was right around 2500. That's when the exhaust sound would go from good to awful in that window where it would brrrrrreeeeeppp. In the higher gears it was more noticable because you go through that window slower and it would trumpet longer. At the right speeds and in the right gear it would just BE in that window breeeeeeep-ing away.
If I were to hang in that 2500 zone in 5th, it wouldn't be for too long because a cop would pull my a$$ over!

As far as the other gears, why would I maintain the engine at 2500? I have a manual, that means I have full control!
Old 3/30/07, 09:02 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On start up it's closer to 2K rpm and drops pretty quickly. It will hang at 1K sometimes driving around coming to a light until I blip the throttle.

MPG... I mean 12 not 21. I WISH is was 21. I drive streets and this week it's been the small bursts to work < 2 miles. So maybe that's it. I'll reset it going to West End alignment and see if it gets better.

trumpeting I don't care for. It's keeping my foot off the throttle and that's no fun. Aside from that no additional rattles, vibrations or sqeaks that are horrible.
Old 3/30/07, 09:17 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
I average around 15-16 MPG and I drive exclusively in town driving.

With the 91R Tune, I start the car it jumps to 1k then drops immediately to 800-900 with no 1k warm up idle. Does anyone else's do this?
90% of my driving to work is highway speeds (70-80mph). I think my mpg would even be better if I didn't drive 8-10 mph over all the time. And I never drive the Mustangs around town - to the movies, WalMart, grocery shopping, etc. That's what makes having a beater nice.

I have the 93R tune, but it shouldn't make any difference. I watched this morning and it does hang at 1k for awhile while warming up.

Originally Posted by TacoBill
trumpet
Yes, it's there, but I really don't notice (or care) about it. I guess if you focus on the trumpeting and perceive it as annoying (Tom.. ), it can get to your nerves. Leo and I really don't care about it, it's just the way it is.
I have no idea what I'm averaging, but I'd guess it's a genuine 12.

If I were to hang in that 2500 zone in 5th, it wouldn't be for too long because a cop would pull my a$$ over!

As far as the other gears, why would I maintain the engine at 2500? I have a manual, that means I have full control!
After hearing the deep, mellow tone of the Flowmasters, the brepping sound really didn't appeal to me at all (as you know).

As far as the RPM range, I meant the brepping was longer in higher gears, but a very quick "brep" in 1st. Also, I meant if I WERE to hold it at 2500 it would be brepping away... not that I did do that or would do that.
Old 3/30/07, 09:27 AM
Cobra Member

"I'm a Ford Mustang! You're an American classic -- fast, strong, and bold. You're not snobby or pretentious, but you have what it takes to give anyone a run for their money."

Go figure!
Old 3/30/07, 09:31 AM
GTR Member

How many times did you take the test until you got that one??
Old 3/30/07, 09:45 AM

Also, I meant if I WERE to hold it at 2500 it would be brepping away... not that I did do that or would do that.
Well duh!

Same scenario applies to the rev limiter.. if I WERE to hold it at 6250 it would be coughing away... not that I did do that or would do that.
Old 3/30/07, 10:07 AM
Cobra Member

How many times did you take the test until you got that one??
Once, I didn't even know the stang was on there. You basically have to put in the most boring answers and you end up with the mustang.
Old 3/30/07, 09:36 PM
Cobra Member

Wow... Quiet day today. Did everybody actually work at work today?

Or did they take off like me!
Old 3/30/07, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by pville piper
Wow... Quiet day today. Did everybody actually work at work today?

Or did they take off like me!
Yeah, quiet day today..

Leo, Brian and myself will be going to a car meet tomorrow morning in Carlsbad. It's going to be a special trip for me. I'm expecting to break the 1000 MILE mark!
Old 3/30/07, 10:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Yeah, quiet day today..

Leo, Brian and myself will be going to a car meet tomorrow morning in Carlsbad. It's going to be a special trip for me. I'm expecting to break the 1000 MILE mark!
Is it tomorrow or Sunday? I thought Leo said it was Sunday? I was planning on hitting the Good Guy's car show at Del Mar this weekend also.
Old 3/30/07, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by fxdwg2002
Is it tomorrow or Sunday? I thought Leo said it was Sunday? I was planning on hitting the Good Guy's car show at Del Mar this weekend also.
Ck PM.
Old 3/30/07, 11:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by fxdwg2002
My bad it's tomorrow from 7-9 and after that I think Bill,Brian and myself are going to cheeburger if you want to come with.

Well I finally installed the dam louvers today. I was in the process of doing the rocker stripes untill Bill told me there wouldn't be enough time for them to dry before morning. (FYI I was about to put them on about an hour ago.) I'll post pics of the louvers tomorrow although you guys have already seen the test fit pics.

BTW-I'm getting a matte black magnetic panel from "Cowtown" for dirt cheap so If I don't like it I'll make sure to offer it to one of you.
Old 3/30/07, 11:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
My bad it's tomorrow from 7-9 and after that I think Bill,Brian and myself are going to cheeburger if you want to come with.

Well I finally installed the dam louvers today. I was in the process of doing the rocker stripes untill Bill told me there wouldn't be enough time for them to dry before morning. (FYI I was about to put them on about an hour ago.) I'll post pics of the louvers tomorrow although you guys have already seen the test fit pics.

BTW-I'm getting a matte black magnetic panel from "Cowtown" for dirt cheap so If I don't like it I'll make sure to offer it to one of you.
Where are we meeting leo? do you wanna drive up together? You have my number. Give me a call.
Old 3/31/07, 06:39 AM
Cobra R Member

updated cupholder bezel pic

here is what it looks like with black for all the grooves. The pic looks a little bad, as MGW's quality is much better than this can show

Unfortunately, I won't know what it looks like inside the vehicle until next week, but it gives a good idea.

EDIT: see updated pics
Old 3/31/07, 06:12 PM

Made it back from the Cbad Meet and Cheeseburger-Cheeseburger! And we survived!!

It was nice meeting Steve (fxdwg2002) and his son, Zachary.

There were plenty of Mustangs, Corvettes, and exotics there at the Meet.

Afterwards, Brian, Leo, Steve, and I headed over to Cheeseburger Cheeseburger for lunch. Great cheeseburgers there!
In fact, Leo went for the BIG ONE POUNDER, not because he was starving, but we think he just wanted his pic up on the wall (of everyone who put away one of those monster burgers).

I really didn't want to mention it, BUT.. Leo lost AGAIN in an impromptu street race! Once again fell prey to the TacoBill GT... as well as Steve (he claims he missed 3rd.. ). Brian was the smart one in the bunch, didn't want to tangle with the Taco.

Old 3/31/07, 06:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

CC Meet

Click Here for Full Gallery.

Old 3/31/07, 07:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Enroute to Cheeburger and Cheeburger pics.

Full Gallery

Old 3/31/07, 07:06 PM
GTR Member

Cool pics... and video... did you finish it??

Why does Brian have a plate up front?
Old 3/31/07, 07:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Good Guys Car Show

After Cheeburger Steve, his son Zachary and I headed out to the "Good guys" car show.
Click here for full gallery.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)