General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 3/16/07, 10:15 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Slow day...
I'm tellin ya..Tom ,got a question for ya or anyone else who might know. What needs to be added to a fiberglass hood so that you can use hood struts w/out damaging the hood?
Old 3/16/07, 10:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Slow day...
No kidding...

Boltzman I'd help you out if I knew.

Anyway.. not specifically Mustang related, anyone watch the F1 qualifying ?? Anyone care ? I for one cannot wait for the race tomorrow evening !

Only 2 days 'til I get some Bama power .... this is worse than Christmas !
Old 3/16/07, 10:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boltzman
I'm tellin ya..Tom ,got a question for ya or anyone else who might know. What needs to be added to a fiberglass hood so that you can use hood struts w/out damaging the hood?
Yup, slow day..
I didn't drive the Mustang all week.. how's that for slow?

I haven't seen hood struts on a fiberglass hood (yet). There was a discussion on this a while back, dunno if someone came up with a solution.

Originally Posted by habu
Anyway.. not specifically Mustang related, anyone watch the F1 qualifying ?? Anyone care ? I for one cannot wait for the race tomorrow evening !

Only 2 days 'til I get some Bama power .... this is worse than Christmas !
Nope and yay!
Guessing you're planning on installing everything in one shot?
Old 3/16/07, 11:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Yup, slow day..

Nope and yay!
Guessing you're planning on installing everything in one shot?
Yeah. I am just much more comfortable installing all at once if I can.
Old 3/16/07, 11:26 PM

Yeah. I am just much more comfortable installing all at once if I can.
It's doable, you'll just be busy for a few hours!

Think about getting a baseline dyno run before installing the mods?
Old 3/17/07, 12:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

It's doable, you'll just be busy for a few hours!

Think about getting a baseline dyno run before installing the mods?
But where ? I've seen that there are a couple of places none seem close by. I don't suppose you just drive up and say, hey... can I get a baseline pull?
Old 3/17/07, 12:23 AM

But where ? I've seen that there are a couple of places none seem close by. I don't suppose you just drive up and say, hey... can I get a baseline pull?
Closest I found to me is Swanson Performance in Torrance. I was going to get mine dyno'd there, but decided against it because it would've been just trivial since I never baselined mine.
Old 3/17/07, 12:28 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Closest I found to me is Swanson Performance in Torrance. I was going to get mine dyno'd there, but decided against it because it would've been just trivial since I never baselined mine.
I would recommend getting it done.

It wouldn't be trivial at all. I dynoed my 2000 V6 once it was complete, to see the "final results".

We all pretty much know what they will run stock, so you can see the final product. Besides, if nothing else, you can compare it to the CRANK hp and tq to see if you have at least compensated for drivetrain loss.
Old 3/17/07, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by mikes rx
We all pretty much know what they will run stock, so you can see the final product. Besides, if nothing else, you can compare it to the CRANK hp and tq to see if you have at least compensated for drivetrain loss.
I know what you mean, but after all the mods and work put into it, I don't want to be dissapointed by a number if I don't hit some expected target. It's too easy to get caught up in the numbers game...

Now, baselining is different, you can actually see increases (or decreases) when adding mods one at a time. Of course, all this HP datalogging will cost some $$$.
Old 3/17/07, 12:45 AM
Cobra R Member

I know what you mean, but after all the mods and work put into it, I don't want to be dissapointed by a number if I don't hit some expected target. It's too easy to get caught up in the numbers game...

Now, baselining is different, you can actually see increases (or decreases) when adding mods one at a time. Of course, all this HP datalogging will cost some $$$.
This is a saying that my dad taught me a LONG time ago: Figures lie and liars figure.

Even if you did baseline the car, there would be different conditions (ie-air temp, humidity, type of dyno, location of dyno, etc) that would give inaccurate information anyway.

My suggestion would be (if you are really interested in getting the numbers) to just run it 3 times on a dyno, just to see what you have.

Or, you can do what I think about the car: the car is plenty fast, we've made it faster, and it hauls butt. No need for a dyno. [On the v6, that was a different story, because any increase was beneficial]

As stated before: "Figures lie and liars figure". Really, who cares if the car has 310 hp or 320 hp. It will still shoot you off like a rocket from a stand-still either way.
Old 3/17/07, 12:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Late night for everybody huh??
Old 3/17/07, 12:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'd like to have a baseline, but realistically I'm putting it all together next weekend, and the CAI/Tuner if I can't wait 'cause it gets in early next week, I don't think I'm gonna be able to get a run in in time. The basic numbers I've seen is 276+ or so Stock, so I know where I am, roughly.

However once I get these done I'd be very interested to see what I'm putting out and then again once I get the UDP's.

Of course, all this HP datalogging will cost some $$$.
one of the other reasons I'm putting it off for the moment. I want to get that CS front fascia and a ducktail and paint before I start putting more Performance mods on the beast.
Old 3/17/07, 12:50 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Yeah...just got back from a St. Patty's day party

remember, I'm EST, not PST. So technically, I guess it's "early morning" for me
Old 3/17/07, 12:52 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
watching some thing about restoring Sherman tanks on the History channel and I went from calling it a night to being throughly interested.

One has that 500CU ? 4V DOHC aluminum Ford V8... there was a post somewhere that had some guy that put the same motor, modified, into a 69 Mustang !!!!! I think it had over 1000 HP?? so it's slightly related.
Old 3/17/07, 12:56 AM
Cobra R Member

Chuck, the Redline Tuning struts seem like they can be used on aftermarket hoods. Here is the info off their website:

Aftermarket Hoods - Will the QuickLIFT kits work with my aftermarket hood?
We get a lot of questions about whether aftermarket hoods of all types (fiberglass, carbon fiber etc.) will work with our QuickLIFTs. With most high-quality hoods, the answer is yes, however, you must understand the following to find out for sure if yours will work.

First, we design our QuickLIFTs to fit the stock hood and fender, unless specified in the kit. That means that we have carefully calculated what gas-spring length, force and size is required to lift and hold the hood up, along with the correct bracket geometry and mounting locations so that the QuickLIFT fits without interference.

To determine whether our QuickLIFT will work on your aftermarket hood, just compare the mounting area on the aftermarket hood on your vehicle to the corresponding photos of our installation manual. The most important area to examine is the hood bracket mounting area. You will want determine whether the hood bracket mounting area is the same as the stock hood because that is what we designed the kit to work on! Anything beyond this does not matter! For a more detailed explanation, read the next paragraph.

More details to determine fit...Since most aftermarket hood manufacturers generally mold from the stock hood frame and then design a new hood skin to mount to this 'copy' of the stock frame, most aftermarket hoods will work with our QuickLIFT kits. Carefully look at the mounting surface on the hood where the bracket should mount (shown in the installation manuals located here) looking for similar angles, flats or other key features to determine that they didn't modify the shape or size of the hood's frame. If aftermarket companies make modifications to the shape and size of the hood frame, it usually reduces the amount of room there is to mount a bracket or might require a different bracket than what is supplied. In general the hood type (carbon fiber, composite, fiberglass etc.) has no effect on whether our QuickLIFTs will work, it is solely the mounting area that is of concern.

Aftermarket hood bracket kits...Nearly every QuickLIFT kit we sell includes the hardware needed to install the QuickLIFT on an aftermarket hood. You should only order the aftermarket hood/hardware kit if you already own a QuickLIFT and are installing a new hood - thus the need for two new hood brackets and hardware. The kit doesn't come with fender brackets so don't order thinking you are getting all of the hardware minus the gas springs.

Our warranty does not support kits for aftermarket hood applications, but we have found that in 99% of the cases our QuickLIFTs will work with no problems. But, for this exact reason we do not allow returns on our QuickLIFTs. We stand behind our products and cover all components included for 2 years from defect or failure (4 year limited warranty for QuickLIFT Elites), but we do not allow test fitting and returning. All of our kits will work on the designated vehicles, but some aftermarket hoods will not work and there is no way we can test all of them.
Old 3/17/07, 08:08 AM
GTR Member

Thanks Mike. Thats what I figured..It really is a question if you can fit new brackets on the aftermarket hood. I dont have the quicklifts though..I guess I'll have to sell mine and take it from there. It seems I've been buying a lot of mods lately only to have them not fit or not liking the way they look ,etc. I think that should be explained to all noob stang owmers wantint to mod.Be prepared to lose money on mods that you will have to buy over and over
Old 3/17/07, 04:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Be prepared to lose money on mods that you will have to buy over and over
That's part of the game, but it's fun.

http://www.bashperformance.com/cart/...TSR%2DFF%2DL20
Old 3/17/07, 07:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Cool mod for those of us without cats.
http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCa...hrower-kit.htm