General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 3/15/07, 08:48 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats what his avatar was..Just goes to show ,I hardly watch any TV anymore
Leo I meant if I had to buy side louvers that it would drive me crazy and take me longer to decide than you(Cuz you are very thorough )
Old 3/15/07, 09:45 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by mikes rx
To put the lowering issue to REST!!!!:

I am NOT going to lower the car, whether it's easy or not, whether the ride quality is good or not. Here are the reasons:

1) I don't want to deal with having to use a spring compressor.
2) I don't want ANY change in ride quality. The low profile 18's made the ride a little stiffer, and that is stiff enough (no jokes, please)
3) I've heard that the factory suspension isn't made to "accomodate" the lowering springs like the SN95s...[I've heard that replacing the struts and shocks are a good deal, because they can't handle it.]
4) I've heard that a panhard bar MAY be needed
5) All of this adds up to $$$$, and I'm trying not to spend too much more on the car. There comes a point when common sense comes back in to the equation, and that it is just a car, and it won't be kept forever.

Like I said, I had lowering springs in my 2000, and loved them. But, I also like having a nice smooth ride that doesn't hit bumps too bad (it's bad enough that the car is a vert and has the 18s now). Also, I like not having to worry about ground clearance (if I scrape the chin spoiler, I'm screwed, because I probably won't spend another 6 hours doing that job again). Furthermore, on the 2000, it was less expensive, and all that was needed was an alignment afterward. No issues with shocks/struts/panhard bar.

Yes, it looks good, but it comes with some cons that I don't want to deal with. The car (for my purposes) is a convertible highway cruiser...

THE END
I agree.
I don't feel it is worth it to me to lower the car.
Being able to corner at .9 g at highway speed is good enough for me.
Old 3/15/07, 09:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Dang! Logged off for a few hours and I'm 2 pages down!

Tom, your new avatar is tupid. Congrats on the 10k mark. Not sure when I'll hit that mark.. unless my Taco dies and the Mustang becomes my new daily.

Mike, cut loose of some cash for your ride, can't take it with you. And, drop that thing and get rid of the 4x4 look.

Leo, Congrats on your upcoming 14k mark. It's practically used up, ready to sell it? Keep the louvers on, can always sell them anytime.
Old 3/15/07, 11:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boltzman
Thats what his avatar was..Just goes to show ,I hardly watch any TV anymore
Leo I meant if I had to buy side louvers that it would drive me crazy and take me longer to decide than you(Cuz you are very thorough )
Not sure if that's a compliment or your being sarcastic. Hard to tell online.

Originally Posted by TacoBill

Leo, Congrats on your upcoming 14k mark. It's practically used up, ready to sell it? Keep the louvers on, can always sell them anytime.
Don't worry you didn't miss much just a lot of BSing. I'm actually at 14,000 right now. I'll take a pic before moving it again. I'll keep them, FOR NOW. I might take a drive down DG before and ask for a test fit before making a FINAL decision.
Old 3/16/07, 03:44 AM
GTR Member

Was just playing around with my avatar to see if a .gif file worked. That was supposed to be animated. I forgot to change it back.

I wasn't going to use that one, it's just a .gif file I had.
Old 3/16/07, 06:14 AM
Cobra R Member

Tom, your new avatar is tupid. Congrats on the 10k mark. Not sure when I'll hit that mark.. unless my Taco dies and the Mustang becomes my new daily.

Mike, cut loose of some cash for your ride, can't take it with you. And, drop that thing and get rid of the 4x4 look.

Of the "usuals" on this thread, do I have the most miles?? I just crossed 16K. Although, mine's an 05, so Leo has me beat on the miles/year.

With regard to lowering: I don't think it looks like a 4x4. For some reason (and I'm thinking it's weight), the verts seem lower than the coupes. Look again...I see no 4x4 look going on.

But, then again, I'm also used to my dad's REAL 4x4 truck, so it's all relative
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-2005-mustang-028.jpg  
Old 3/16/07, 06:33 AM
Cobra R Member

And Tom, what's happening with the aeroform bar?? Keeping it or selling it?

I still think that the car looks good with it, so you know what my vote is. Looks different than stock, but good.
Old 3/16/07, 07:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
With regard to lowering: I don't think it looks like a 4x4. For some reason (and I'm thinking it's weight), the verts seem lower than the coupes. Look again...I see no 4x4 look going on.
I'm just messin' with you, Mike.

Your car looks awesome as is!
Old 3/16/07, 07:14 AM
GTR Member

But, then again, I'm also used to my dad's REAL 4x4 truck, so it's all relative
The 4x4 look is there.

Attachment 21749

And our cars are only 175 lbs heavier than the coupes - a big improvement over previous years. And I removed 30lbs be getting rid of the front swaybar and heavy-azz crossmember.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-compare.jpg  
Old 3/16/07, 07:16 AM
Cobra R Member

I'm just messin' with you, Mike.
I know you are. It's all good.

Your car looks awesome as is!
thank you
Old 3/16/07, 07:18 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
The 4x4 look is there.

Attachment 21749

And our cars are only 175 lbs heavier than the coupes - a big improvement over previous years. And I removed 30lbs be getting rid of the front swaybar and heavy-azz crossmember.
I wouldn't call that a 4x4 look.
Also, I like the slight forward slance that the factory has. Lowering the car gets rid of it.

And, I still think that the rear of the verts looks lower than the coupes. 175 lbs would do that though. Imagine someone sitting in your trunk...that would bring the car down
Old 3/16/07, 07:19 AM
GTR Member

And Tom, what's happening with the aeroform bar?? Keeping it or selling it?

I still think that the car looks good with it, so you know what my vote is. Looks different than stock, but good.
Fed-Ex is picking them up today. He gave me a full-refund since both were blemished.

It's one of those things that's not for everyone... plus my hearing is way too good and I hear some wind noise (a little whistle or rustle). He said he only had 1 other person tell him about wind noise and try as he might, he can't hear anything.
Old 3/16/07, 07:22 AM
GTR Member

I wouldn't call that a 4x4 look.
Also, I like the slight forward slance that the factory has. Lowering the car gets rid of it.

And, I still think that the rear of the verts looks lower than the coupes. 175 lbs would do that though. Imagine someone sitting in your trunk...that would bring the car down
I would!

But, not as bad as my 2003 and your 2000.

There is still a slight forward rake. The rear gap is about 3/8" more than the back after lowering it with the Ultra Lite Springs. You can see the rocker panel angle versus the driveway angle. Plus, the car is on a slope, so the rear looks lower in that pic. I should have taken that picture in the middle of the street. But the Ultra Lites do get rid of some of the rake, which is a good thing.

Our stock springs are a higher spring rate front and rear to handle the extra weight (they have totally different codes). I measured my car versus a friend's coupe when they were both new and all corner measurements were within 1/16". So, the verts are very close to the coupes. Could vary, of course, or it could be an optical illusion.
Old 3/16/07, 07:25 AM
Cobra R Member

Fed-Ex is picking them up today. He gave me a full-refund since both were blemished.

It's one of those things that's not for everyone... plus my hearing is way too good and I hear some wind noise (a little whistle or rustle). He said he only had 1 other person tell him about wind noise and try as he might, he can't hear anything.
sorry to hear that you aren't keeping it. I agree that it isn't for everyone. My dad had a 94 olds cutlass vert (which, if you don't know, has a "rollbar" built in, and so I got used to the look.

I haven't heard any wind noise, but since I have the squeak issue with my top, I wouldn't hear it anyway.
Old 3/16/07, 07:28 AM
Cobra R Member

I would!

But, not as bad as my 2003 and your 2000.
My 2000 didn't have a 4x4 look, it had a lowrider/hydraulics look. One of the reasons that I changed out the springs was that the rears were sagging (as were most 99 and 00 model year stangs, GT or V6), and Ford wouldn't replace them under warranty (they said it wasn't a problem--)

The rears were sagging so bad, that after I put the Steeda sport springs in the rear, the car went UP slightly...no lie.
Old 3/16/07, 07:29 AM
GTR Member

Plus, I love how lowering it makes the car look loooooonger. The stripe on the side helps with that, too.

I kid about this pic, saying the car is so long now, it won't fit in a picture:

Attachment 21750
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn3703.jpg  
Old 3/16/07, 07:31 AM
GTR Member

My 2000 didn't have a 4x4 look, it had a lowrider/hydraulics look.
Off the show-room floor I bet it did!

Here's my 2003 GT 4x4 when brand spankin' new:

Attachment 21751

Yuck!
Attached Images  
Old 3/16/07, 07:36 AM
Cobra R Member

Here's pics of the olds cutlass my dad had. You can see the resemblences:
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-oldsmobile-2a.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-oldsmobile-002a.jpg  
Old 3/16/07, 07:38 AM
Cobra R Member

Off the show-room floor I bet it did!

Here's my 2003 GT 4x4 when brand spankin' new:

Attachment 21751

Yuck!
Yeah, the 99-04's were TERRIBLE.
Old 3/16/07, 08:18 PM
GTR Member