Search this Thread

Old 2/21/07, 04:53 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
btw, Tom... those were off a 289 Cobra.
I stand corrected.

Well, that's closer to a 281.

Would love to stay, but I'm sick. I have been all week, but now I feel very achy. I'm taking some NyQuil and going to bed. Luckily, my daughter isn't getting sick, but my wife and I are passing it back and forth or somethin'.
Old 2/21/07, 05:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
but my wife and I are passing it back and forth or somethin'.
TMI

Old 2/21/07, 05:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Ducktail -
he'll say no.
I know it's a hassle but it will look great. Heck he can take the declid to the paint shop if he doesn't want to leave his car there.
Comes down to personal opinion. I love the stock wing and I think I remember him saying the same thing.
Tom is correct, I prefer the stock spoiler. It's not that I don't like the design of the Ducktail, it just doesn't work for me. It looks good on your car, Leo.

Graphics for the side of the car -
again, no. I think he found the 'line' for the vinyl.
JMO the side of the car need something wether it be louvers/scoops or vinyl. I think mine need something to I'm just to indecisive.
Personal opinion again. I only put the side stripes on to mimick the Mach 1. I purposely made them thinner so it would just resemble it, not copy it.
I tossed this idea around at one point. The only graphic I liked were the Saleen hash stripes. But, nothing bugs me more than me being a poser, that's why you'll never see a Cobra emblem on my fender. Like Tom said, it's just my opinion and doesn't reflect on anyone here.

Louvers -
good idea, but picking the right ones is the trick.
I'd say CDC or SHR depending on how much work you want to do.
I like the SHR.
I almost pulled the trigger on these already. Remember how close I was to the MRT louvers? Was on order, but they ****ed around with getting them paint matched. Took over 3 weeks, so I cancelled.
Another option was the Roush louvers. I liked the fact that the glass can be cleaned, but the 3 visible screws looks a little funny. That's why I don't have louvers on my car (yet).

Front end bra (When driving to and from car shows) -
no way... will scuff the paint and stripes.
Really even if he only uses to travel to shows when his car will be free of dirt. I said that like his car is ever really dirty.
But people will see it that way on the drive!
Pass. I had a front end bra on my 78 Celica back in the day. I thought I was cool, not so sure I'll feel like that again. Don't worry, Leo.. a little Z-6 and a rag will take care of any road grime and bugs.

Shorty headers (Make the engine bay look nicer) -
just askin' for leaks.
I doubt that there's plenty of people that have changed out they're headers and haven't had any problems.
I don't like messin' with them. I'm sure there are just as many people that have had problems (leaks and/or leaks that they don't know about) - but they won't tell any of us about it.
IMO, not worth the hassle for the small HP gains. Expensive and they'll take a good 10 hours of back breaking (and a few knuckles) labor to install. I'm not sure if any have a CARB approval, maybe the JBA's?

Saleen HID's -
rice (and I don't say that often).
Totally disagree. Putting on those cheap blue APC racing bulbs is rice. HID's not rice.
Personal opinion.
HID's are okay, but pricey!
One downfall is the fogs will look yellow compared to the HID's.
Besides, I think I can count on one hand how many times I've driven in the dark.

SSE center foglight grill (Would look amazing with your stripes) -
no way... too close together.
I have to disagree. I've seen several cars with stripes and the center fogs and think they look awesome.
Personal opinion, again.
I never went for the close fog light look. Funny, I bet if Ford installed the fogs close, aftermarket companies would make a grille that seperates the fogs and they'll sell like hotcakes!

Trunk mat: EDIT: Looking closer, I think it'll go right over the autograph. Well, I just saved $140.00!
I like the paint matched 'GT', but at $140!!??
For a few bucks more, one can get the CDC Detail Corral.
Old 2/21/07, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Hmmm....How much????
For the 'Powed by Ford' emblem?

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Would love to stay, but I'm sick...

Suck it up, Tom! Feeling sick is overrated.
Old 2/21/07, 05:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ducktail -
he'll say no.
I know it's a hassle but it will look great. Heck he can take the declid to the paint shop if he doesn't want to leave his car there.
Comes down to personal opinion. I love the stock wing and I think I remember him saying the same thing.
Tom is correct, I prefer the stock spoiler. It's not that I don't like the design of the Ducktail, it just doesn't work for me. It looks good on your car, Leo.
BOOOOOO!!!!

Louvers -
good idea, but picking the right ones is the trick.
I'd say CDC or SHR depending on how much work you want to do.
I like the SHR.
I almost pulled the trigger on these already. Remember how close I was to the MRT louvers? Was on order, but they ****ed around with getting them paint matched. Took over 3 weeks, so I cancelled.
Another option was the Roush louvers. I liked the fact that the glass can be cleaned, but the 3 visible screws looks a little funny. That's why I don't have louvers on my car (yet).
A friend/SDMC member has the CDC louvers and I think they're the best one's out right now when considering looks,ease of install/removal (if you change your mind). Plus he let me drive it and visibility was still good. I'd probably have these already if they offered them prepainted at a reasonable price.

Saleen HID's -
rice (and I don't say that often).
Totally disagree. Putting on those cheap blue APC racing bulbs is rice. HID's not rice.
Personal opinion.
HID's are okay, but pricey!
One downfall is the fogs will look yellow compared to the HID's.
Besides, I think I can count on one hand how many times I've driven in the dark.
The fact that they haven't made matching HID's for the fogs is the number one reason I haven't seriously considered these. Well that and the price.

Trunk mat: EDIT: Looking closer, I think it'll go right over the autograph. Well, I just saved $140.00!

I like the paint matched 'GT', but at $140!!??
For a few bucks more, one can get the CDC Detail Corral.
True. I like the fit and finish of the CDC one but I think having a pony/GT/custom text looks better than pouches.

For the 'Powed by Ford' emblem?
Yes.
Old 2/21/07, 05:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Let me put my 2 cent's in on the louvers. Most of the ones that are on the market right not envolve sometime of brackets, drilling or mounting on to the paint itself, which kept me away from doing it for awhile. I went with the DG Custom ones for a couple of reasons. The Paint match was spot on, not much of a blind spot and as far at the installation and removal, they mount directly to the glass and not the body. Cost was another one. I paid under $200 shipped. Just something to consider.
Old 2/21/07, 05:41 PM

Bill-I think the avic mod will be a waste considering how often you use the car. Plus it will be outdated by the time Chris get's it. I'd hold off on the new stereo untill your about to handover the car.
That does make sense.

I know, it makes sense to wait. But, it looks so cool! Let's see if the immature side gets the better of me.

The rad support/swaybar delete would also be a dumb mod for you considering you hardly ever go to the track I doubt you'll notice the extra weight of the front end during regular driving.
Excuse me? I am right here... Actually, it's not dumb. The ride quality will improve and if he does want to get more traction, it'll help some. Maybe not much, but some. Plus, like I said, it makes for good conversation at a car show.
I haven't crossed this off my list yet, it's still a potential. It will surely make it to the top if Leo beats me in a race.

SHR Faux gas cap replacement - I already explored this. I do like the polished one they have, but what Tom said makes sense.

MGW hangars/seat lever buckles - True, you barely see them, but I like them! Look for these on my car later this year.

Powdercoating Valve covers - Almost pulled the trigger on a polished FRPP covers. But, that was a 'pre-Shaker' decision. The polished covers will still be somewhat visible, but will be an eyesore next to the lame looking exhaust manifold.
Old 2/21/07, 05:48 PM
Bullitt Member

I know, it makes sense to wait. But, it looks so cool! Let's see if the immature side gets the better of me.

I have a tendency to let that happen to me quite a bit. Having to hear " why do you need that part, what's wrong with the one you have" from the wife also plays a big part in parts I get. The immature side usually wins and I end up in the dog house. Champagne tastes and a beer budget plays a big factor also.
Old 2/21/07, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
(289 Cobra emblem) Yes.
Leo, just a note about this emblem I have..
it came with 2 posts, but Kevin dremeled them flat against the backside so it can lay flat (like on the plenum cover).

the backside is recessed in a bit. By that I mean you have to use a thick double side tape or else the emblem will never stick to anything. See the pic below, see the thickness? Next time I'm at Kevin's I'll take a pic of the backside (possibly tonight).

Old 2/21/07, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by fxdwg2002
I went with the DG Custom ones for a couple of reasons. The Paint match was spot on, not much of a blind spot and as far at the installation and removal, they mount directly to the glass and not the body. Cost was another one. I paid under $200 shipped.
Got a link to where you bought them? Also, can you take some close-up pics of where the louvers contact the glass and wherever else looks important?

The immature side usually wins and I end up in the dog house.

That's why I use my MAD money!
Old 2/21/07, 06:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Bill,

Here's the link https://www.dgcustomauto.com/splashPage.hg they are here in San Diego.

Here's the pics, let me know if you want any other view. I was a little worried about how the paint would match up, but it was perfect. I just threw a coat of wax on it and was good to go.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-dsc01424.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-dsc01425.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-dsc01426.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-dsc01427.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-dsc01429.jpg  

Old 2/22/07, 07:25 AM

Here's the link https://www.dgcustomauto.com/splashPage.hg they are here in San Diego.
Thanks for the link, Steve. Price is great, especially with free shipping!

I may have to reconsider side louvers again...
Old 2/22/07, 07:33 AM

Next time I'm at Kevin's I'll take a pic of the backside (possibly tonight).
Leo, Finish Line has them for $14 each, it's where I bought mine from. I originally bought 2, but I can't find one of them for the life of me!

Make me an offer or put up something to trade for it (no junk, please! )

Old 2/22/07, 08:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bill,

Here's the pics, let me know if you want any other view. I was a little worried about how the paint would match up, but it was perfect. I just threw a coat of wax on it and was good to go.
That looks great. Especially if they're pre-painted I might have to pull the trigger on these.
Old 2/22/07, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by habu
That looks great. Especially if they're pre-painted I might have to pull the trigger on these.
Since Steve's is a VB like yours, you can see exactly how they'll look like.

I also like the fact that they attach at the glass, just incase you change the look down the road, there won't be any issues with paint fade.
Old 2/22/07, 09:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Since Steve's is a VB like yours, you can see exactly how they'll look like.

I also like the fact that they attach at the glass, just incase you change the look down the road, there won't be any issues with paint fade.
Exactly.

In other news... I'm ordering my C&L/Bamachips combo either today or tomorrow.
Probably gonna go ahead and get the MGW(is that right) pre-painted mirror covers AND a CDC Ducktail spoiler.
Old 2/22/07, 09:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

Oh Yeah.. on the powered by Ford badges.....on the car...

Kinda like why I didn't do the GT/CS front and rear covers. I don't have a GT/CS. As much as I like how they look, I've got a GT. The badge is the same way and for me the GT badge isn't something that I'd want to replace.

Now if someone was to offer a embossed valve/cam cover with Powered By Ford on it like the old V8s I'd be all over that in a second(Painted Ford Blue of course). Of course with the shaker you couldn't see it
Old 2/22/07, 09:15 AM

Probably gonna go ahead and get the MGW(is that right) pre-painted mirror covers AND a CDC Ducktail spoiler.
I heard from Ray that the C&L Trueflow Racer is on backorder (if that's the one you're looking at), so no harm calling in your order today since you probably won't get charged til it comes in stock.

What 3 Tunes will you pick?

Painted mirror inserts are from MWAG.

Is this the Ducktail that Leo's buddy is selling?
Old 2/22/07, 09:22 AM

Oh Yeah.. on the powered by Ford... on the car...

Old 2/22/07, 09:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Exactly.

Congrats. Have you started looking for a body shop to fill in the holes and repaint your decklid? Or are you going to use the plug method??? Any plans for a chin spoiler???

Oh Yeah.. on the powered by Ford badges.....on the car...

Kinda like why I didn't do the GT/CS front and rear covers. I don't have a GT/CS. As much as I like how they look, I've got a GT. The badge is the same way and for me the GT badge isn't something that I'd want to replace.
I plan on using the emblem in the engine bay not on the fenders. I don't like the way it looks on the fender plus I like my pony's.

Bill,

How does the inside/backside of the louver look? Reason I ask is because I remember reading a few peoples complaints that the backside was unfinished.

I heard from Ray that the C&L Trueflow Racer is on backorder (if that's the one you're looking at), so no harm calling in your order today since you probably won't get charged til it comes in stock.

What 3 Tunes will you pick?

Painted mirror inserts are from MWAG.

Is this the Ducktail that Leo's buddy is selling?
I would suggest 91Race,91 Torque, 87/91 Performance. I'm willing to bet Doug would through in the 87 as a freebie if you asked for all three 91 tunes.

Bill-Yes it's the one my friend is selling. I'll be hand delivering it this weekend.

+2

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)