General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 2/18/07, 10:46 AM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
I would say yes. I'm sure you both have more HP than me with the O/R pipes and the CAIs, plus I'm heavier. But if we got 1-2-3 in a car show, I'd like to see who was where.
Hey, leave your weight out of this!
I can't believe what I'm hearing.. Leo can take all of us with manuals??
Although I won't be able to actually race Leo anytime soon, I'll try and shoot some launch videos, both with and without the traction control.
It would be a good race.

Can't you just return them for a refund? The bulbs are the only thing you'll have to eat.
It's not worth the $15.
Old 2/18/07, 11:50 AM
Cobra Member

George at MGW has said that pricing for his intial run of 100 shifters will be set late next week and they will be shipping in 4 to 6 weeks. I emailed him my address and cell# and told him to let me know as soon as they are available.
Old 2/18/07, 12:49 PM
Cobra Member

As ya’ll can see, I’ve added a Future Mods Section to my signature so any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.
The MGW will be next and followed by the Bama Tunes setup, after that there will be know particular order. I will most likely get the stripes from BSM as soon as it warms up a bit.
Just a thought… If I fix my driveway so that I can lower the car or put some kind of spoiler on the front, is this considered a performance mod?
Old 2/18/07, 02:28 PM
GTR Member

As ya’ll can see, I’ve added a Future Mods Section to my signature so any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.
X-Pipe - Know about the "rasp" assoiciated with X-Pipes?
Sequential Taillights - Consider these. The "chase" is awesome.
Hood Struts - Consider these. I think they are better because of the absence of that bracket on the MRT hood struts.
Stripes - Don't want 12" wide?
Rims - If you are going to replace the tires, too, bump it up to 18s. 255/45R18s instead of 235/55R17s.

Just a thought… If I fix my driveway so that I can lower the car or put some kind of spoiler on the front, is this considered a performance mod?
Lowering springs? Yes.
Roush rear spoiler or a front spoiler? No.
Old 2/18/07, 03:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
X-Pipe - Know about the "rasp" assoiciated with X-Pipes?
Yeah, I like it. Nothing wrong with the H-Pipe "Old school" sound I just think the X-pipe sounds a little better.

Sequential Taillights - Consider these. The "chase" is awesome.

I will!

Hood Struts - Consider these. I think they are better because of the absence of that bracket on the MRT hood struts.

I like the look of the MRT better.

Stripes - Don't want 12" wide?

The notch in the Roush wing will only allow for 2 - 10 inch stripes. I may instead go with the GT500 spoiler as it will let me put the 1/4 inch pin stripes outside of the 10 inch instripes. If I was painting them on it would be different. I like 12s, but I think 10s would go better with what I want to do.

Rims - If you are going to replace the tires, too, bump it up to 18s. 255/45R18s instead of 235/55R17s.

The only problem I have with 18s is that you get a minor bump up in handling performance, a possible small hit in straight line performance and a higher cost in replacement for the tires. Looks wise for me it is a wash. 18s is as high as I would go. I had 255/45R17s on my 97 stang and I liked the look and size. That and I plan to hang onto the stock tires for as long as I can... I just don't have the money to play with.

Lowering springs? Yes.

No, I ment fixing my driveway so that I could do those mods. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 2/18/07, 03:55 PM
GTR Member

What should I ask for my Pypes H-Pipe if I advertise it here? It jumped up in price to $174.95 plus a possible wait. $100 plus shipping? $125 plus shipping? $125 shipped? $150 shipped? I don't want to mess with it on eBay. It has about 180 miles on it which is the same as 5 miles on it, really - I mean, what wear is being done?

Originally Posted by pville piper
No, I ment fixing my driveway so that I could do those mods. Thanks for the suggestions!
Fixing driveway = appearance mod.
Old 2/18/07, 04:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Track talk-
Of all the other stangs I've raced at the track that aren't S/C the only Manual that's beat me was a bone stock 05 with drag radials. Even then he only beat once out of 3-4 races. All four races were nose to nose. With that said I will admit it's 1,000 times harder to race with a stick.

Tom-
O/R H- Sell it for $100 local pickup or $130 Shipped.
Old 2/18/07, 05:47 PM
GTR Member

Track talk-
Of all the other stangs I've raced at the track that aren't S/C the only Manual that's beat me was a bone stock 05 with drag radials. Even then he only beat once out of 3-4 races. All four races were nose to nose. With that said I will admit it's 1,000 times harder to race with a stick.
The drag radials definitely helped him hook up. If we all had stock tires you would beat me with my extra weight and less HP (no O/R H-Pipe and no CAI). If Bill could hook up and shift flawlessly (and quickly) then he could beat you, but it wouldn't be by much.

Tom-
That's what I was thinking... I was going to take it to the FFW and sell it for $100.
Old 2/18/07, 05:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
John-

X-Pipe - If you like NASCAR, you'll like the X.
Sequential Taillights - I'm partial to the WebElectric kit (no splicing required! )
Hood Struts - Can't go wrong with the MRT's (no drilling required! )
Old 2/18/07, 06:03 PM

If Bill could hook up and shift flawlessly (and quickly) then he could beat you, but it wouldn't be by much.

That's what I was thinking... I was going to take it to the FFW and sell it for $100.
I've been practicing my launch today, have video, but can't post it until later tonight.
What I learned.. Best hookup was launching it from around 1700-1900 rpm's. I tried the TC both off and on with no real difference.

And, of course it wouldn't be by much (either of us winning), unless one of us screws up.

O/R: That's what I was thinking.. $100 shipped.
Old 2/18/07, 06:04 PM
GTR Member

X-Pipe - If you like NASCAR, you'll like the X.
I like NASCAR and hated the H... can't imagine the X.

Sequential Taillights - I'm partial to the WebElectric kit (no splicing required! )
But it's worth it.

Hood Struts - Can't go wrong with the MRT's (no drilling required! )
But it's worth it.
Old 2/18/07, 06:09 PM
GTR Member

I've been practicing my launch today, have video, but can't post it until later tonight.
What I learned.. Best hookup was launching it from around 1700-1900 rpm's. I tried the TC both off and on with no real difference.

O/R: That's what I was thinking.. $100 shipped.
Just dumping the clutch at those RPMs? What happened at lower RPMs? Higher?

I guess $100 it is!
Old 2/18/07, 06:16 PM
GTR Member

I think I told Leo on the phone the other day, but I got the new Zaino Z-CS Clear Seal and put it on half of my hood today after washing the entire hood. Since it's white, I can't tell any difference between the two halves. Like usual, it is hard to put on because you can't see what you are doing on a white car. It says not to wipe it off, but as I am putting it on, I feel like I'm wiping it off, too. I'll still use it for the protection, but I'd like to see how they apply it to a car and how they can do an entire car with 1/8 oz.

I tried taking pictures, but it was inside the garage. I think the first is with a flash and the second was without a flash.

Attachment 19870 Attachment 19872

You can see the TV and the lights in the hood along with other stuff (flag, stuff on the freezer that I cleaned up off the floor, etc), but you can see that stuff in the other half of the hood, too.

Maybe it's the fluorescent lights and I should wait until I see it outside.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn5059.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn5062.jpg  
Old 2/18/07, 08:29 PM
Cobra Member

John-X-Pipe - If you like NASCAR, you'll like the X.
I live in Alabama, I HAVE to like NASCAR!
Old 2/18/07, 09:43 PM

Just dumping the clutch at those RPMs? What happened at lower RPMs? Higher?
Here's the vids...

I didn't really 'dump' the clutch, but more of a 'let it out quickly' and give it gas type of launch (you manual guys know what I mean).

I found it rather difficult to get that 'grab & go' off the line. Even at the 1700 RPM launch, it still spun the tires slightly with a slight bog. It's obvious that it's my lack of experience launching this car. My prior launches concentrated on smoking the tires for a good show.

I need more practice before facing off against Leo.

2000 RPM's, TC on

1900 RPM's, TC on

1900 RPM's, TC off

1700 RPM's, TC off
Old 2/18/07, 09:53 PM

... I got the new Zaino Z-CS Clear Seal and put it on half of my hood today after washing the entire hood.
I want to try the Z-CS on my TR. I'll probably get a bottle on my next order.

I know you mentioned that the treated side looks the same as the other, but is sure looks nice and reflective!

Crap... I may have to order mine pretty soon.
Old 2/18/07, 10:00 PM

Chris' 1st drive!!

Before any of you freak out, I controlled the gas and clutch and was withing reach of the steering wheel at all times. Test drive was also conducted in an empty 'Sunday' parking lot.

This is what memories are made from, for the both of us.

So, if you have anything bad to say, bite me.

Old 2/18/07, 11:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+100

That is very cool. Bet he was stoked, probably still smiling ear to ear. Congrats Chris !
It's how my dad taught me, then when I was too old to sit in his lap he took me to the desert in Palmdale there was nothing to crash into(we had family up there at the time).

Sooooo. The master training the young padawan(sp??) to defeat the upstart apprentice(Leo) ?? How long before we get vids of Chris Burning out ?
Old 2/19/07, 05:43 AM
GTR Member

I need more practice before facing off against Leo.
This is what I was talking about. A lot more room for error with a manual.

I want to try the Z-CS on my TR. I'll probably get a bottle on my next order.
I needed some more Z-16, so I thought I would give the Z-CS a try.

Originally Posted by habu
+100

padawan(sp??)
+101
Padawan is correct.
Old 2/19/07, 07:28 AM

Padawan! Yes, that fit's perfectly.

Believe me, that was alot of fun, making both the little launching vids as well as Chris driving. I should've turned off the radar detector, stupid beeping noise.

Rumor has it that the GT pulled out from the parking lot for a 1/2 block blast running thru 3 gears with decent acceleration. Driver could not be positively identified as all can be seen was a mile wide grin.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)