General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/07, 11:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 89Trooper
John - I did a lot of critical analysis on the way to work today with the shifting. Although I have never shifted directly from 5th to 3rd before, I did it this morning every time I downshifted with no problem at all.

I tried it going 80mph from 5th to 3rd... going 55 from 5th to 3rd... I even tried going directly to 2nd from 5th and it slid right into gear (I didn't let the clutch out, though).

I granny shifted, power shifted, and speed shifted... all with no problems. I even tried going from 3rd to 5th and from 2nd to 5th and it went right in.

I'm serious about the transmission possibly being the culprit. The guy I work with has an '06 and needed his transmission changed already. If you continue to have problems, you may want to have them look at it before swapping shifters.
Though I would chime in with my experience with this shifter. I remember the old transmission/shifters in the Fox bodies and the stock in my '06 is MUCH better.
With that being said, I had a learning curve hitting 3rd in this car, but have pretty much nailed it ever since.
I do not have any problem going from 5th to 3rd, but have never attempted to go from 5th to 2nd (even if I don't let the clutch out)and I don't think mine would slide right in but I will try it this evening. (I'm talking about the shifter )
I also would like to see the MGW shifter's final price and look as I too would really like to swap to a shorter throw. I don't drive crazy (too much) but when I do I want the throw short.
I do have a question though. Sometimes when I am getting on it and really shifting as fast as I can my shift from 2nd to 3rd actually grinds. Not a long grind just a quick chirp as it goes into 2nd. I'm not for sure if my feet are rocking too fast for my hands or if the synchros just cant match the shift speed. Any thoughts? It does not happen all the time just when I am really trying to grab the gear quick. And second, wouldn't a shorter throw help prevent that? Shorter distance for the arm to travel?

Thinking about buying a new digital camera, one that can do video as well as take pics.
Looking at SONY DSC-H5 . Any Pros/Cons of this unit?
Old 2/6/07, 12:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
... and I don't think mine would slide right in but I will try it this evening.
You wish!

I do have a question though. Sometimes when I am getting on it and really shifting as fast as I can my shift from 2nd to 3rd actually grinds.
Your brain-hand-(left) foot synchro is off.
I've done plenty of quick shifts and no grinding here... but then again, I'm a few years younger than you.

And second, wouldn't a shorter throw help prevent that? Shorter distance for the arm to travel?
If your hand was lagging behind your foot, then yes.

Thinking about buying a new digital camera, one that can do video as well as take pics.
Looking at SONY DSC-H5 . Any Pros/Cons of this unit?
Looks good to me. Looks like it'll capture videos in MPEG format at 30FPS so no issues there. Also, having a large dia lens will show an improvement in picture quality over a Point & Shoot.

Right, so it is just the Saleen mod that is causing the hard-shifting problem? Instead of changing shifters, why don't you just go back to the stock set-up?
Yes, it's the Saleen adapter. I've read the numerous threads on it (before I got mine) on the sensitivity of adjusting that nut.. too tight it wont go in to gear, too loose and you're taking a chance of it falling off.

I have no gripes on the stock shifter, just looking for a mod to do, and to tighten up the throw distance a bit. It's what happens when you start getting bored or running out of ideas what to do next.
Old 2/6/07, 04:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Well on the way home I ran her up to 85 and attempted to downshift from 5th to 2nd, without letting the clutch out of course. Although it did not slide in as Tom's did, it did go in. I just had to wiggle it a bit and apply a small amount of force.

I still want a shorter throw, so if the price is right the MGW shifter may be one of my next mods.
Old 2/6/07, 05:26 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
Well on the way home I ran her up to 85 and attempted to downshift from 5th to 2nd, without letting the clutch out of course. Although it did not slide in as Tom's did, it did go in. I just had to wiggle it a bit and apply a small amount of force.

I still want a shorter throw, so if the price is right the MGW shifter may be one of my next mods.
Did you try 5th to 3rd, too?

Another reason I don't want to change the shifter is because, like other mods, there is a price to pay.

Like springs - look much better, but you pay for that with a slightly harsher ride.

The stock shifter in my '89 was very mushy because of the rubber to absorb vibration. I changed it with a BBK shifter and it was a much shorter throw, had the stops so you could slam it into gear... but I then felt every bit of vibration through the shifter.

Our's are just so good the way they are, I'm afraid to mess with it. The factory always compromises with performance and comfort, and I don't think the slight increase in shifting performance justifies a loss of shifting comfort (like the Steeda springs most definitely do with the huge increase in looks).

Eventually, you make the car not as fun to drive any more. My '89 is VERY powerful, turns corners like it's on rails, and sounds awesome... but I would absolutely HATE to drive it every day. I sacrifice a lot of drivability and comfort for the performance.
Old 2/6/07, 05:45 PM

Eventually, you make the car not as fun to drive any more. My '89 is VERY powerful, turns corners like it's on rails, and sounds awesome... but I would absolutely HATE to drive it every day. I sacrifice a lot of drivability and comfort for the performance.
I will agree with you there, Tom. As most of us get older (there are exceptions of course), we become less tolerant with loud exhausts and harsh suspension on a daily driver. As a teen, this is what we were after for our dailys'!

With that said, I'm still planning on getting a short throw shifter and the 4.10 gears. You see, not having to drive it everyday, I do seek a car that's "VERY powerful, turns corners like it's on rails, and sounds awesome". Makes sense?
Old 2/6/07, 05:50 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
With that said, I'm still planning on getting a short throw shifter and the 4.10 gears. You see, not having to drive it everyday, I do seek a car that's "VERY powerful, turns corners like it's on rails, and sounds awesome". Makes sense?
Yep. If I didn't drive it almost every day, I would do the same thing. And, I'd still have the H-Pipe, too.
Old 2/6/07, 05:54 PM

Yep. If I didn't drive it almost every day, I would do the same thing. And, I'd still have the H-Pipe, too.
Well, there ya go!

When I turn over the reigns of the Mustang to Chris, it'll be perfect for him... fast, lowered, and loud! Until then, guess I'll act like a teenager.
Old 2/6/07, 08:37 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
John - I did a lot of critical analysis on the way to work today with the shifting. Although I have never shifted directly from 5th to 3rd before, I did it this morning every time I downshifted with no problem at all.

I tried it going 80mph from 5th to 3rd... going 55 from 5th to 3rd... I even tried going directly to 2nd from 5th and it slid right into gear (I didn't let the clutch out, though).

I granny shifted, power shifted, and speed shifted... all with no problems. I even tried going from 3rd to 5th and from 2nd to 5th and it went right in.

I'm serious about the transmission possibly being the culprit. The guy I work with has an '06 and needed his transmission changed already. If you continue to have problems, you may want to have them look at it before swapping shifters.
I accidentally let the clutch out from 3rd to 2nd at 80 mph.
I was trying for 4th really quickly.
It is a good thing I have been driving for decades, it gets a little squirrely when you do that.
Old 2/6/07, 10:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by karman
I accidentally let the clutch out from 3rd to 2nd at 80 mph.
I was trying for 4th really quickly.
It is a good thing I have been driving for decades, it gets a little squirrely when you do that.
In the infamous words of Bill, where is the video

Tom, I have always been able to downshift from 5th to 3rd with no trouble. Was just testing my 5th to 2nd to see if it jived with what you experienced.
Old 2/7/07, 06:06 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT

Did you match the revs when trying to put it into 2nd from 5th?

When I come to a light or something and really want/need to stop fast, I'll downshift through every gear without matching revs and that, of course, really helps the car slow down. I couldn't match revs even if I wanted to since my right foot is probably also on the brake.

Other times, when coming to a more leisurely stop, I'll rev the engine slightly to match the revs going into the next lower gear and it'll slide in much easier.

Try it around 60mph... have it in 5th, push in the clutch, and as you are moving the shifter from 5th to 2nd, rev the engine. You still don't have to let the clutch out, but I bet it'll go into 2nd gear much easier.
Old 2/7/07, 09:47 AM

I'm sure Leo has no problems up or down shifting in his car.
Old 2/7/07, 11:06 AM
Cobra Member

Another reason I don't want to change the shifter is because, like other mods, there is a price to pay.

I have to agree with you there Tom, it's one of the reasons I did not go for lowering springs. Mine is a daily driver and I like to take trips with it and there are several stretches of interstate that have heaved pavement and it is bad enough with the stock setup. And the fact that I wouldn’t get it into my own driveway!
I tried the 5th to 3rd the last couple of nights and didn't have a problem with the shifter. It could be that when I've had the problems before I had a narrow window of opportunity due to a short passing lane coupled with the adrenalin pumping and finished off with the embarrassment of missing a shift.
Anyway, I still feel that the shifter could be much improved and that the MGW shifter sounds like it will go a long way to solving the problems without creating new ones. I’ll let ya’ll know as intend to get one as soon as they are available.
Old 2/7/07, 11:32 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by pville piper
Anyway, I still feel that the shifter could be much improved and that the MGW shifter sounds like it will go a long way to solving the problems without creating new ones. I’ll let ya’ll know as intend to get one as soon as they are available.
Please do... and if you show that no problems are created and no (or minor) comfort is lost, maybe they'll get my money as well.
Old 2/7/07, 12:56 PM
Cobra Member

Please do... and if you show that no problems are created and no (or minor) comfort is lost, maybe they'll get my money as well.
What... ANOTHER MOD! You must have a very understanding wife!
Old 2/7/07, 01:33 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by pville piper
What... ANOTHER MOD! You must have a very understanding wife!
Bill and I, both! I just don't tell her what anything really costs. I think the Shaker mod was somewhere around $250. And I do all the bills!
Old 2/7/07, 01:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm sure Leo has no problems up or down shifting in his car.
Nope! Shifts perfect everytime. Feels even better now thanks to Doug at BamaChips.
Old 2/7/07, 01:42 PM

... And I do all the bills!
+1... money laundering at its best!

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Nope! Shifts perfect everytime. Feels even better now thanks to Doug at BamaChips.
We can all thank Doug for his magic!
Old 2/8/07, 08:22 AM

Zaino Show Car Polish Releases Z-CS Clear Seal

"... award winning gloss and protective durability in ONE simple wipe on step. Wipe on, and walk away, you're done."

"Zaino is pioneering the industry with Z-CS, a self curing transparent sealer that doesn't require any buffing or final wiping. Z-CS dries clean and without residue. Use Z-CS on paint, glass, wheels, plastic, or trim for the protection, durability, slickness, and gloss that Zaino is most popular for."

"For up to 9 months protection."

"For show car owners, integrating Z-CS with regular use of Z-2 or Z-5 PRO will provide the wettest-looking, deepest, most distortion-free finish you can imagine."

"Less than 1/4 ounce of Z-CS will complete an average sized vehicle."

Sounds great to me, but it's $29.95 for a 6 fl. oz. bottle!

Costs a lot, but I'll probably pick up a bottle on my next order.

link
Old 2/8/07, 08:39 AM
GTR Member

"... award winning gloss and protective durability in ONE simple wipe on step. Wipe on, and walk away, you're done."

"Zaino is pioneering the industry with Z-CS, a self curing transparent sealer that doesn't require any buffing or final wiping. Z-CS dries clean and without residue. Use Z-CS on paint, glass, wheels, plastic, or trim for the protection, durability, slickness, and gloss that Zaino is most popular for."

"For up to 9 months protection."

"For show car owners, integrating Z-CS with regular use of Z-2 or Z-5 PRO will provide the wettest-looking, deepest, most distortion-free finish you can imagine."

"Less than 1/4 ounce of Z-CS will complete an average sized vehicle."

Sounds great to me, but it's $29.95 for a 6 fl. oz. bottle!

Costs a lot, but I'll probably pick up a bottle on my next order.

link
I like how it says that you can use it by itself or over other products (since I stopped using Zaino).

So, a 6 oz bottle will last 216 months?
Old 2/8/07, 08:51 AM

I like how it says that you can use it by itself or over other products (since I stopped using Zaino).

So, a 6 oz bottle will last 216 months?
Yup, looks like it can be used over any wax/polish as long as it's cured.

According to them...
What is the shelf life of Z-CS?
5+ years.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)