General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 1/26/07, 09:40 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by pville piper

Well I am having a wonderful time here in Toronto, Canada... Yesterday it was -16 C with a wind chill of about -25... I don't need a C to F conversion to know it is freaking cold!!! Today is not too bad... a bit warmer but it is snowing. Hope ya'll are staying warmer than me... Can't wait to get back to Bama Monday!
Cold east of you too. My heated garage was down to +6 C today (@42 F).
Outside is about the same as you.
Old 1/26/07, 10:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Looks good. You'll just have to be very carefull going over speed bumps and driveways. I think it's going to be nearly impossible not to scrape the chin spoiler if you do decide to get it.
Thanks. The jury is still out on the CDC but will more than likely get it. I'll have to get used to worrying about scraping, never had a car that was lowered before.

I am so glad I'm in So Cal when I hear about super cold weather or people putting their 'Stangs away for the winter.
Not to pour salt into the wounds.
Old 1/27/07, 08:43 AM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, we're getting ready to head off to the Monster Jam in a little while. It doesn't start until 7:30 tonight, but there is a Pit Party starting at 3:00. I ended up making $385 on the tickets I sold, so it should be a fun night!
Old 1/27/07, 09:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Have fun at the Jam!

Take a pic of a Monster Ford truck if you get the chance and post it here.
Old 1/27/07, 03:35 PM

I finally made it to the gas station today!

It was such a treat taking her out for a tiny cruise (if only to get gas). I was going to have Chris shoot some mini vids, but it started to sprinkle right after pulling from the station! So, had to cut the trip short and make a bee-line straight back to the stable.

What's everyone paying for Super? Mine was $2.639.

Anyways, here's a few pics from today.

Old 1/27/07, 06:15 PM

Bill

Still gotta pick your brain a little more! I just sent back my (quiet) Borla's the wife got me for Christmas. She'd asked me what I wanted & I told her those; then when I got 'em, I told her I'd made a mistake & wanted the louder ones! Didn't make too many points there! Cost me $59 just to ship 'em back! They were shipped directly from Borla in California (to Oregon) then when they gave me the return shipping instructions, I had to send them clear to Pennsylvania! Jeese!

Now, I need to have some persuasion. I think I want to go with the stinger's, but I guess I need some nudging? I think I want it to say BORLA, so will probably pay the extra $'s over FRPP? I don't think I'll mess with the factory H-pipes, least for now; so do you think, just go with the axle-backs, or do the cat-backs? The only other thing I think I want to do is the cold air deal. I'm really only after the sound, don't care about performance gains. Do you like the K&N OK? Did it give you the better sound? My understanding is that you don't get involved with the re-tune with that. Correct?

So, Borla stinger's & K&N? What say you?

Anybody else, feel free to chime in!

Thanks!

Jim
Old 1/27/07, 06:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Its a shame that a beautiful car like that doesn't get driven. Shame on you Bill.
Old 1/27/07, 06:58 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by habu
I am so glad I'm in So Cal when I hear about super cold weather or people putting their 'Stangs away for the winter.
Not to pour salt into the wounds.
Plenty of salt on the roads here as there was snow mixed with freezing rain! As to putting the stangs away I saw 2 at the restaurant I ate at... Felt sorry for those ponies!
Can't wait to free mine from the airport!
Old 1/27/07, 07:01 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by flashfearless
Its a shame that a beautiful car like that doesn't get driven. Shame on you Bill.
You know, Bill took me for a ride in his car... 1, maybe or 2 miles worth. I tell tell you I am feeling pretty honored right as that 1 to 2 miles is a pretty significant portion of his odometer... And will be for some time to come!!!

Old 1/27/07, 09:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Plenty of salt on the roads here as there was snow mixed with freezing rain! As to putting the stangs away I saw 2 at the restaurant I ate at... Felt sorry for those ponies!
Can't wait to free mine from the airport!
I can't wait for you to free your Stang either. We all should be driving them and having a blast, except for Bill . He does his in short but powerfull blasts. So he doesn't have the miles on it, but man those 650 miles are awesome !!

But if Mother Earth doesn't want to cooperate, what can you do ??
Old 1/27/07, 10:33 PM

Now, I need to have some persuasion. I think I want to go with the stinger's, but I guess I need some nudging? I think I want it to say BORLA, so will probably pay the extra $'s over FRPP?
First of all, welcome back to TMS, Jim!
Do yourself a favor and just get the FRPP Stingers. They are the exact same exhaust with the exception of the stamping. I know that you're brand loyal, heck, I had Borla's on my C4 Vette. When it came to picking the exhaust for my car, I found out that Borla manufactures the Stingers for Ford Racing and the savings were substantial. Knowing that, I went with the FRPP ones and used the savings on another mod.
So that is what I recommend for you, get the Ford Racing ones, then use your savings to buy your cold air intake. It'll be like getting the CAI for free!

I don't think I'll mess with the factory H-pipes, least for now; so do you think, just go with the axle-backs, or do the cat-backs?
I would just get the Stinger axle-backs (M-5230-5GT). Ford already uses 2" mandrel bent tubing (except that little pinch section near the axle) all the way to the back, so an actual 'cat-back' (IMO) would not really be beneficial, and for you, add no increase in 'better sound'.

The only other thing I think I want to do is the cold air deal. I'm really only after the sound, don't care about performance gains. Do you like the K&N OK? Did it give you the better sound? My understanding is that you don't get involved with the re-tune with that. Correct?

So, Borla stinger's & K&N? What say you?
I love my K&N CAI.
I initially chose the K&N because it doesn't require a tune. Another choice would be the Airaid CAI system, which also doesn't require a tune.
As far as sound, the suction from the CAI really isn't that loud.
Another thing to keep in mind is that the K&N is not CARB Approved (not sure about the Airaid either) meaning that you'll have to swap back in the stock airbox when it comes to smog inspection. Of course, this only applies to CA folks.

Here's a video clip of the K&N...
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...t=MVI_7499.flv

And Jim, we all said that we'll just do the 'this and that' mod and that's it... you'll be doing more than this, I promise!
Old 1/27/07, 11:49 PM

Yes, you're right, Alan...
It's one of my New Years Resolution that I get out and drive it more.

You know, Bill took me for a ride in his car... 1, maybe or 2 miles worth. I tell tell you I am feeling pretty honored right as that 1 to 2 miles is a pretty significant portion of his odometer... And will be for some time to come!!!
John, 2 others share the honor with you, Leo and Brian.

I feel confident that I'll be in the quad digits soon.

... except for Bill.. He does his in short but powerfull blasts. So he doesn't have the miles on it, but man those 650 miles are awesome !!
Hey Brian, those have been all lucky miles! I've managed to avoid the silver bracelets for some the stunts I've pulled... I better go find some wood ASAP!

In RPM cycles, I might have 2000 miles of 'regular' driving!
Old 1/27/07, 11:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Hey Brian, those have been all lucky miles! I've managed to avoid the silver bracelets for some the stunts I've pulled... I better go find some wood ASAP!

In RPM cycles, I might have 2000 miles of 'regular' driving!
yeah, gotta stay away from those things. But burnouts aren't gonna make that happen. Took my mom out today and had a little fun, not much. Once I backed off she looked at me and said "and you HAVEN'T gotten a ticket in this thing yet"...

didn't have the heart to tell her I got my ticket on the 4th day I owned the car

Wait 'til she get a load of the C&L/Bamatune when I get it.
Old 1/28/07, 12:07 AM

... didn't have the heart to tell her I got my ticket on the 4th day I owned the car
You're a bad boy, Brian.

I wouldn't tell my mother (or wife) either!
Old 1/28/07, 02:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Jim- Like Bill said save yourself the cash and just get the FRRP version. I've got the K&N intake as well and have to say I'm more than happy with it.

+1
BTW-91 octane is $2.50 here in SD.
Old 1/28/07, 04:29 AM
KdF
Bullitt Member

Quick question to y`all............

Has anyone had their clutch slip??

My boy`s friend <just got back from Basic> in the Marines and going into sand-hell wanted a ride , so I had to , just out of Honor. So i took him out to Burn-out alley <a road a few blocks from the house> and reved it in 2nd to 5200 and dumped it. It got up and went tho it kinda felt like it was spinnin real good but I got this nasty-assed smell , Not rubber as I remember it , but I have the Perrellie`s .Now...is that the rubber <new compound tires> or was my clutch slippin and burning?????

the smell lingered in the garage for a few hours , but it still drives fine.
Old 1/28/07, 05:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

That smell probably was your clutch if you dumped it in 2nd at 5000+rpms. That is VERY hard on the clutch and it will likely slip. If you want to do a burnout, use 1st gear, and don't rev up to more than 3000, your just asking for something to break if you go higher!
Old 1/28/07, 08:46 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
BTW-91 octane is $2.50 here in SD.
93 is $2.26 here in FL (in St. Cloud, at least).
Old 1/28/07, 09:58 AM

OK Bill. Thanks! That's what we'll do!

Actually got to get the Stang out over the weekend & made a trip to Boise. Little icey coming home, but no problems. I was surprised after hearing so many folks talking about their batteries going dead, Blackie had been sitting there for over 3 months & she just started right up. Heater worked good, too!

Thanks for your help!

You know, I think the main reason I don't talk much on this forum is that after I saw my name displayed, I went back to the moderator and tried to change it to just a "handle" like all the rest of you guys use & never received a response. I got a little jittery about using my real name. Oh well, just will always be a Newbie.

Jim
Old 1/28/07, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Danford
You know, I think the main reason I don't talk much on this forum is that after I saw my name displayed, I went back to the moderator and tried to change it to just a "handle" like all the rest of you guys use & never received a response. I got a little jittery about using my real name. Oh well, just will always be a Newbie.
Jim, I sent Galaxie a PM about changing your user ID. Hopefully, he'll hook you up.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)