Search this Thread

Old 1/21/07, 04:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh man, I didn't even realize. D'oh
Old 1/21/07, 05:16 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jackie (photolabgirl77) was talking to me about Optima batteries and I remembered I had a brand new one in my garage that I originally bought for the '89. I found out I needed top- and side-posts for the '89, so I bought another one and kept the top-post one for the Ranger down the road.

When my car sits for a week, the battery is dead, so I thought I would see if it would fit. She said that the one they had made the hood bulge, but the one I had fit in perfectly. The posts are not in the exact place, but they still work great. The only thing I did was slightly bend the NEGATIVE cable down because it came off the post and curved upward on the stock battery.

My stock battery had 500 Cold Cranking Amps (the smaller of the factory batteries because I don't have AAT). This Optima Battery is part number 8002-002 Red 34 and has 800 Cold Cranking Amps, and 1000 Cranking Amps. In case anybody doesn't know, the starter will only take what it needs to start the car, so these higher numbers are basically what it can handle, not what it gives out.

Attachment 17917 Attachment 17918 About the same size, but you can see the posts are inset (lower) on the stock battery. This is why I bent the nagative cable slightly. I don't think I had to, but it actually looks better, too.

Attachment 17919 Hood without any battery installed in the car.

Attachment 17920 Hood with the new battery installed.

Attachment 17921 I slid the battery toward the center of the car as far as it would go. There are removable tabs that you can remove for a physically bigger battery, but I left them in. Sliding it over toward the center of the car actually centers the strap on the battery and it tightens down more on this battery than on the factory one. You can even still use the insulation wrap around the battery.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-p1010203.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-p1010204.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-p1010205.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-p1010210.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-p1010207.jpg  

Old 1/21/07, 05:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Jackie (photolabgirl77) was talking to me about Optima batteries and I remembered I had a brand new one in my garage that I originally bought for the '89. I found out I needed top- and side-posts for the '89, so I bought another one and kept the top-post one for the Ranger down the road.

When my car sits for a week, the battery is dead, so I thought I would see if it would fit. She said that the one they had made the hood bulge, but the one I had fit in perfectly. The posts are not in the exact place, but they still work great. The only thing I did was slightly bend the NEGATIVE cable down because it came off the post and curved upward on the stock battery.

My stock battery had 500 Cold Cranking Amps (the smaller of the factory batteries because I don't have AAT). This Optima Battery is part number 8002-002 Red 34 and has 800 Cold Cranking Amps, and 1000 Cranking Amps. In case anybody doesn't know, the starter will only take what it needs to start the car, so these higher numbers are basically what it can handle, not what it gives out.

Attachment 17917 Attachment 17918 About the same size, but you can see the posts are inset (lower) on the stock battery. This is why I bent the nagative cable slightly. I don't think I had to, but it actually looks better, too.

Attachment 17919 Hood without any battery installed in the car.

Attachment 17920 Hood with the new battery installed.

Attachment 17921 I slid the battery toward the center of the car as far as it would go. There are removable tabs that you can remove for a physically bigger battery, but I left them in. Sliding it over toward the center of the car actually centers the strap on the battery and it tightens down more on this battery than on the factory one. You can even still use the insulation wrap around the battery.
You lucky duck! The Optima battery we tried will not fit and they only carried 2 kinds of Optima batteries there.
Old 1/21/07, 05:58 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by photolabgirl77
You lucky duck! The Optima battery we tried will not fit and they only carried 2 kinds of Optima batteries there.
Google that part number... plenty of places to get it online.

http://www.batteriesareus.com/index....products_id=28

That's a good price... just verify it is the 8002-002 Red Top 34 and it should be the same as mine. I don't know what the 800S/850S is.
Old 1/21/07, 08:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry, I am a little behind on this thread, but those talking about emblems, should take a look at these from think3d.biz...

The person making these with the chevron is about 3 weeks away from being done with his prototype. I plan on running these on my GO..
Old 1/22/07, 09:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

**** Happy Belated Birthday Leo

Jeesh to be 24 again
Old 1/22/07, 10:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Guys, I'm back from Mexico! I was sick for 1 day, but still had a great time.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-mexico_cruise.jpg  
Old 1/22/07, 12:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by flashfearless
Sorry, I am a little behind on this thread, but those talking about emblems, should take a look at these from think3d.biz...

The person making these with the chevron is about 3 weeks away from being done with his prototype. I plan on running these on my GO..
Looks good except it won't fit on the shaker.

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
**** Happy Belated Birthday Leo

Jeesh to be 24 again
Thanks.

Originally Posted by TacoBill
BACK.
Old 1/22/07, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Looks good except it won't fit on the shaker.
Thanks, Leo. Not feeling 100% yet, but I'll survive.

I think the 281 Chevron emblem is meant for the fender.
Looks good, but it'll be too close (in proximity) to my '281' badge on the Shaker scoop.
Old 1/22/07, 05:00 PM
GTR Member

Welcome back to the States, Bill! Why were you sick, did you drink the water?
Old 1/22/07, 06:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I new it was quiet around here!

Welcome back!
Old 1/22/07, 11:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Welcome back. Hope you're feeling better ! Didja have too much water or too much tequilla ??
Old 1/23/07, 07:56 AM

Welcome back to the States, Bill! Why were you sick, did you drink the water?
Originally Posted by Ray Man
I new it was quiet around here!
Welcome back!
Originally Posted by habu
Welcome back. Hope you're feeling better ! Didja have too much water or too much tequilla ??
Thanks.
I think I caught my cold/flu/fever (whatever it is I have) from my kid or someone at work. The virus was coarsing through my veins before even I step foot on the ship, it was a matter of inconvenient timing.

And no, didn't eat or drink anything while in Mex. Only booze I had was a Mango Margarita and a Corona w/lime.

As a side note, I saw no 05+ Mustangs on the streets of Ensenada during my visit there. Saw a couple, but they were beaters... definitely not show quality.
Old 1/23/07, 08:19 AM

The Red Top looks really good in the engine bay!

It doesn't look like Optima makes a Red or Yellow with the same post configuration as the stock battery... you figured they would.

Any close-up pics of how you modified the NEG cable?
Old 1/23/07, 02:03 PM
GTR Member

Thanks... I've read that the Red Tops are the way to go over the Yellow Tops because of something, but I can't remember. Are you sure it doesn't stand out too much in the bay? Nothing else is red!

It doesn't look like Optima makes a Red or Yellow with the same post configuration as the stock battery... you figured they would.
The cables went to the posts just fine. Looking at the two batteries, you wouldn't think they would, but they did.

All I did was bend the cable so it layed down more. After I tightened the terminal on the post, I just pushed it down with my hand. It looks better this way and doesn't go up into the hood:

Attachment 18020
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-p1010217b.jpg  
Old 1/23/07, 02:16 PM

Thanks... I've read that the Red Tops are the way to go over the Yellow Tops because of something, but I can't remember. Are you sure it doesn't stand out too much in the bay? Nothing else is red!
I think it goes with the whole Crimson theme, just on a smaller scale.
For my car, I'd get the Red Top for obvious reasons!

All I did was bend the cable so it layed down more. After I tightened the terminal on the post, I just pushed it down with my hand. It looks better this way and doesn't go up into the hood:
I see.
It looks good and either cable don't appear to be over-stretched.
What do you think about those 12V LED readouts that some guys install inline with the positive cable? Too rice or nice?
Old 1/24/07, 12:26 PM
GTR Member

I see.
It looks good and either cable don't appear to be over-stretched.
What do you think about those 12V LED readouts that some guys install inline with the positive cable? Too rice or nice?
Not rice, but I don't think I would like it.
Hey! I'm online at work!
Old 1/24/07, 01:10 PM

Hey! I'm online at work!
Me too!

It's a tough life...
Old 1/24/07, 04:35 PM
GTR Member

Me too!

It's a tough life...
Just isn't as easy with the new job. I actually have to work a little, if you can believe it.
Old 1/24/07, 09:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Just isn't as easy with the new job. I actually have to work a little, if you can believe it.
Now I don't feel so bad. The last job I had was pretty unlimited 'net and having my own office made it all that much easier to be "productive"

Where I work now...The monitor the heck out of it and only certain people gain outside-company access. So I have to be picky how much I surf. I'd go nuts if I had to not have 'net access.... What else am I supposed to do while I'm at work ?

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)