General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 1/6/07, 08:25 AM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In FL, the strip across the front of the windshield is a must. Plus, it somewhat hides the radar detector.

For $9 at Wal Mart, I got 20% tint with the "Good" rating. The "Better" and "Best" tint both had metallic layers which would have messed with the radar detector. This is still good tint that won't turn purple and will help with the glare of the sun ALOT. We don't put it at the legal limit - it's a lot lower, but not low enough to be annoying. I put it so it goes across in the middle right at the lower edge of the rear-view mirror (about 7 3/4" down the windshield on the far left and right sides.

Here's the tint laying on the outside waiting to be trimmed. Then I'll just cut a "U" for the rear view mirror and slide it into place.

Attachment 16840
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn4659.jpg  
Old 1/6/07, 11:17 AM
GTR Member

Here's the front done. On the one showing the legal limit, you can see some bubbles, but the sun will suck them out. I took an inside shot to show it around the mirror - that is a PITA.

Attachment 16851 Attachment 16852 Attachment 16853 Attachment 16854
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn4660.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn4661.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn4662b.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn4663.jpg  
Old 1/6/07, 04:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 89Trooper
In FL, the strip across the front of the windshield is a must. Plus, it somewhat hides the radar detector.
It's a must because of the sun?
It came out good on yours, but I'm not a big fan on front windshield tint.

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Here's the front done. On the one showing the legal limit, you can see some bubbles, but the sun will suck them out. I took an inside shot to show it around the mirror - that is a PITA.
Couldn't see the bubbles, but I'm on a laptop right now.

The trim around the mirror looks good.
Old 1/6/07, 04:05 PM

No comment on those Steeda strut covers?

I think they look pretty nice and the price is right too.

edit: I just read Leo's comment on the Steeda covers... guess he doesn't like them.
Old 1/6/07, 04:23 PM

Here's some pics of my 'freebie' MGW Shaker ****.

Originally, I thought this **** would be stupid and if I were get one, it be in chrome. But, since this was free (friend from my club gave it to me), obviously I couldn't complain. Also, it's not a permanent mod, swap takes less than 10 seconds.

After installing it, I think it looks pretty good. And, I'm glad it's in the satin finish instead of chrome (I can't stand fingerprints on chrome stuff).
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-img_2756.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-img_2757.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-img_2758.jpg  
Old 1/6/07, 05:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Tom-Not a big fan of the tint on the front windshield but you did an awesome job on it.

Bill-As a friend I feel it's my duty to tell you the radio **** looks out of place. It would look better if the factory head unit had two *****. JMO.

I hope in the future you guys will extend that courtesy and let me know if whatever mod I do or plan on doing doesn't look to good.
Old 1/6/07, 05:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Here's a vid of me getting owned by DonW last night at the track.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/d...ae00b732e6.htm

And a pic someone took of my car.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-48.jpg  
Old 1/6/07, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Bill-As a friend I feel it's my duty to tell you the radio **** looks out of place. It would look better if the factory head unit had two *****. JMO.

I hope in the future you guys will extend that courtesy and let me know if whatever mod I do or plan on doing doesn't look to good.
Thanks Leo for being honest. Like I said, it's not a permanent mod and I can pull the ol' switch-a-roo in no time flat. The Shaker **** was never on my list of things to buy from MGW because I never really liked it the first time I saw it.

Now, other mods we all do, look good in placement and quality. But, not all is to our liking... which is a good thing. Can you imagine every black GT running around town modded exactly like yours?

However, if I see a mod that looks just tacky, I'll tell you as nice as possible.
Old 1/6/07, 05:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks Bill I knew I could count on you.

So what do you really think about the painted calipers?
Old 1/6/07, 06:03 PM

Here's a vid of me getting owned by DonW last night at the track.

And a pic someone took of my car.
If that race was straight up, it totally wasn't fair. Isn't Don running a custom built motor along with 4.10 gears?

Nice pic, is that a white brain bucket you're wearing?

So what do you really think about the painted calipers?
I think they came out fine. I do like the black over other colors and especially over the grunge.

I would've liked it if the calipers themselves had a smooth finish instead of that rough cast look. But, that's Ford saving a buck there, they put zero thought as to the cosmetic appearance of our brakes.
Old 1/6/07, 06:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

[quote=TacoBill;814301]If that race was straight up, it totally wasn't fair. Isn't Don running a custom built motor along with 4.10 gears?

He's a KB blower with a 10lb pulley,4:10 gears, stall converter, etc, etc.
It was awesome seeing getting to see the difference side by side.

Nice pic, is that a white brain bucket you're wearing?
Nope I got a black one.

I think they came out fine. I do like the black over other colors and especially over the grunge.

I would've liked it if the calipers themselves had a smooth finish instead of that rough cast look. But, that's Ford saving a buck there, they put zero thought as to the cosmetic appearance of our brakes.

Your right about the calipers looking better if they were smooth. The G2 kit would've looked a whole lot better. Hmmm....so maybe it would be worth it to polish them and then rough them up and paint them.
Old 1/6/07, 07:08 PM

He's a KB blower with a 10lb pulley,4:10 gears, stall converter, etc, etc.

Your right about the calipers looking better if they were smooth. The G2 kit would've looked a whole lot better. Hmmm....so maybe it would be worth it to polish them and then rough them up and paint them.
I thought Don was running some non-stock stuff.

Polishing the calipers look's like way too much work. Just the thought of having to disconnect them and deal with bleeding the brakes just turns me off (But, I could do it if I have to).
Old 1/6/07, 09:51 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
It's a must because of the sun?
It came out good on yours, but I'm not a big fan on front windshield tint.
Tom-Not a big fan of the tint on the front windshield but you did an awesome job on it.
Thanks and thanks! Yes, that strip of tint REALLY helps with the sun glare - I've had one on every car I've owned (tinting is usually the first thing I do to a new car).

For it to look good, it has to be done right. More is not better. And less is not better. If it's put across at the legal limit it looks stupid - and why bother? If it's put across too low it looks stupid, too - I've seen tint as low as half way down. I think right across where the lower edge of the rear-view mirror mount is, is perfect.
Old 1/6/07, 10:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I thought Don was running some non-stock stuff.
He's had his engine rebuilt after he blew up his stock engine and he's got L/T's I think.
Polishing the calipers look's like way too much work. Just the thought of having to disconnect them and deal with bleeding the brakes just turns me off (But, I could do it if I have to).
No doubt it's alot of work I'm just saying that it would look alot better if done that way.
Old 1/7/07, 12:30 PM
Cobra Member

I think that black is not a bad choice Leo, although for your car silver might have been a good choice. I like the way the stock calipers look when they are clean. I was thinking that red may be an option with my red interior. I've seen red done on black before and I like it.
I can't believe how many people still stop and tell me how much they love my car. How many times I pull up to a light or am driving down the road and get a thumbs up. It is quite a trip. You must get a lot of compliments as well. Your ride looks sweet, aggressive without going over the top.
Old 1/7/07, 03:06 PM
GTR Member

Some final pics of the tint (except for the back window, of course). You can still see some light coming through the back window, but the car looks a lot better - too bad nobody will see any of the tint at a car show. It looks darker than 20%, but that's what it is (the '89 next to the '06 also has 20% on it). I took the pics right after I put the top up... the wrinkle-look of the top goes away pretty quickly (actually, I think it was down for over 2 weeks).

I put a before pic for comparison (I flipped it so it was the same angle).

Attachment 16942 Attachment 16940 Attachment 16941
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn4664.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn4665.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn3666r.jpg  
Old 1/7/07, 08:03 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks 100% better w/tint Tom How does it look close up around the bubbly area where the pony is by rearview mirror?
Old 1/7/07, 08:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

+1 looks way better with tint. I can't believe you waited so long.
Old 1/7/07, 09:30 PM

+1 looks way better with tint. I can't believe you waited so long.
+2

I'm glad Tom is no longer a member of the Fishbowl Club.
Old 1/7/07, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by pville piper
You (Leo) must get a lot of compliments as well. Your ride looks sweet, aggressive without going over the top.
Yes, I agree, his ride is coming along quite nicely.

I can't help from being proud of his ride as I feel a direct connection with some of his mods.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)