General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 1/4/07, 04:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well the wait is over Bill.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...7&postcount=24

My sorry attempt at a write-up. Still incomplete since I'm waiting for the paint to dry before putting the wheels back on.
Old 1/5/07, 07:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Hard to see the calipers when they are black, but would probably look good when you got closer to the car.
Attachment 16785
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-boltzmanblk.jpg  
Old 1/5/07, 07:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Well the wait is over Bill.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...7&postcount=24

My sorry attempt at a write-up. Still incomplete since I'm waiting for the paint to dry before putting the wheels back on.
I'm surprised how well the calipers cleaned up after you scrubbed them.

It looked like it was a PITA painting around all the little nooks and crannies, but I wouldn't worry too much about it as I doubt you can see it once the wheels are on.

I can't believe how much of the black paint on the rotor hat got marred and scraped off! That doesn't look good at all... makes me want to look at mine.
Let us know what Rotorpros says about that.
Old 1/5/07, 10:59 AM
GTR Member

I knew brake cleaner worked good! Looks good Leo... looking forward to the pics with the wheels back on. I still think for me the stock silver is the best since my two problems: red sticking out too much & black blending in with the rims too much. What else is there? Green? Purple? With your rims and your car, I think black will look great!

I can't believe how much of the black paint on the rotor hat got marred and scraped off! That doesn't look good at all... makes me want to look at mine.
I just caught a glimpse of mine with one of my "bolt" pictures. You can see the marks from the rim, but it doesn't look like Leo's:

Attachment 16801
Attached Images  
Old 1/5/07, 11:09 AM
GTR Member

Well, it was tinting day and I got 4/5 done. I had the top down for easy access to the small rear windows, and now I can't put the top up to do the rear window because the first thing it does is lower all four side windows automatically before raising the top. If I did the rear window first, I wouldn't have wanted to put the top down for a few days because I don't know if any material lays on the rear window when it's folded.

Well, the tint is 20% and it was pre-cut perfectly. The rear side windows were a snap, and the front windows were only harder because of having to handle more material. For reference, my rear window is about the same size as our front windows.

I had all the mole-skinned wiper channels out so I could easily slide the tint down into place. The only place it had to go under something was the front edge of the front windows.

Here are some pics. It's hard to tell it's 20% because of all the light coming from everywhere. When the doors are shut and the top is up, it will look a lot darker:

Attachment 16802 Attachment 16803 Attachment 16804 Attachment 16805 Attachment 16806 Attachment 16807
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn4651.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn4652.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn4653.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn4654.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn4655.jpg  

Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn4656.jpg  
Old 1/5/07, 11:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

is there any reason besides looks that one would paint their calipers?
Old 1/5/07, 11:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I knew brake cleaner worked good! Looks good Leo... looking forward to the pics with the wheels back on. I still think for me the stock silver is the best since my two problems: red sticking out too much & black blending in with the rims too much. What else is there? Green? Purple? With your rims and your car, I think black will look great!

Thanks. I'll post pics in a few hours as I still haven't put the wheels back on. I got lazy yesterday and just left it jacked up. Tom I think red would be fine since you do have a red interior and at car shows I assume you have the top down so it will look good.

I just caught a glimpse of mine with one of my "bolt" pictures. You can see the marks from the rim, but it doesn't look like Leo's:

I'll be calling them here shortly and will let you know what they say.
Old 1/5/07, 11:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by flashfearless
Nope.

Tom-Your tint looks great if you wouldn't have told us I'd believe you took it to a shop.
Old 1/5/07, 11:42 AM
GTR Member

Tom I think red would be fine since you do have a red interior and at car shows I assume you have the top down so it will look good.
It would have to be the correct shade of red. The red that I have seen - no way. It would have to be a crimson sort of red.

Tom-Your tint looks great if you wouldn't have told us I'd believe you took it to a shop.
Thanks! I still have the rear window to go, though. The only problem will be the access to it.
Old 1/5/07, 12:04 PM
Cobra Member

It's good for about 15 hp.....

Old 1/5/07, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Here are some pics. It's hard to tell it's 20% because of all the light coming from everywhere. When the doors are shut and the top is up, it will look a lot darker:
Looks great, Tom!

I think the 20% looks really good on your car. I also see thay the pre-cuts don't go all the way up to the windows edge, which is a good thing. Mine go all the way up and was 'feathered', but thet top section of my drivers side tint is edging off the glass. My installer (wife's cousin) already said that he'll replace it no problem, but just not on my priority list to take it down there.

btw- should we keep calling you 'Tom' or would you prefer 'Tommy'?
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-tommy_shelly.jpg  
Old 1/5/07, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by pville piper
It's good for about 15 hp...
I think it'll shave a 1/10 off your quarter time.

Seriously, I'm pretty sure it's just for appearance... just like the Shaker, right guys? Doh!
Old 1/5/07, 02:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Updated brake caliper thread.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...827#post812827
For full gallery just click on the link in my sig.

So what do you guys think? Anyone planning on adding it to there mod list?
Old 1/5/07, 03:22 PM

Updated brake caliper thread.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...827#post812827
For full gallery just click on the link in my sig.

So what do you guys think? Anyone planning on adding it to there mod list?
It looks a lot better than the previous grunge look.
I'm glad you went with black instead of another color.

Guess the big question is, are you happy with it?

As for me, The bright silver matches my theme failry well. So, I won't plan on this mod anytime soon. If and when I do, I'll have the difficult choice on deciding what color to go with.
Old 1/5/07, 04:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
It looks a lot better than the previous grunge look.
I'm glad you went with black instead of another color.

Guess the big question is, are you happy with it?

As for me, The bright silver matches my theme failry well. So, I won't plan on this mod anytime soon. If and when I do, I'll have the difficult choice on deciding what color to go with.
I'm happy with it and like it better than the "grunge look" I had going. Although I'm not 100% satisified I can live with it. The biggest benefit is that getting them clean for a show will be easier than if I had left them stock. I know for you it's not a problem since the car only gets driven to shows. I'd say my biggest complaint would be that I spent so much time on this mod and it will probably never get noticed unless I point it out.

ATT everyone else-I'd only recommend this mod if:
1)Your calipers are very visible (Daryl & anyone else with his style rims don't bother)

2)It's a daily driver and painting would hide the dirt better I.E Me!

3)Your going to paint them red. (I think trying to get a color match with anything other than red will be a PITA.)
Old 1/5/07, 05:36 PM

I know for you it's not a problem since the car only gets driven to shows.
That's not all... I do take it out to the gas station and for everyone's entertainment, my test run videos.

I'd say my biggest complaint would be that I spent so much time on this mod and it will probably never get noticed unless I point it out.
That's a good thing! The last thing you want to see and hear from people standing around your car at shows is them pointing at the calipers making disrespectful comments about them.
Old 1/5/07, 06:42 PM
GTR Member

Looks great, Tom! I think the 20% looks really good on your car. I also see thay the pre-cuts don't go all the way up to the windows edge, which is a good thing. Mine go all the way up and was 'feathered', but thet top section of my drivers side tint is edging off the glass. My installer (wife's cousin) already said that he'll replace it no problem, but just not on my priority list to take it down there. btw- should we keep calling you 'Tom' or would you prefer 'Tommy'?
Thanks!

I could have moved the tint up and over to go to the edges of the window if I wanted, but I like to keep the edge of the tint a good 1/8" away from the edges of the window.

Tom is fine. I actually saw that plate in the picture when I posted it.
Old 1/5/07, 07:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think it'll shave a 1/10 off your quarter time.

Seriously, I'm pretty sure it's just for appearance... just like the Shaker, right guys? Doh!
You guys are a riot.

The point of the question was it considered a tactic for reducing any amount of potential rust in your brake system?
Old 1/5/07, 08:59 PM

The point of the question was it considered a tactic for reducing any amount of potential rust in your brake system?
I believe so. I don't think the factory calipers would rust out anytime soon, so painting them would probably be more to hide the grunge look of them (after exposure to the elements).

Leo, any word from MidWest on the replacement strut covers? Alan got a replacement set to try out.
And thanks Alan for showing us these... http://www.steeda.com/products/steed...overs_s197.php
Old 1/6/07, 01:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I believe so. I don't think the factory calipers would rust out anytime soon, so painting them would probably be more to hide the grunge look of them (after exposure to the elements).

Leo, any word from MidWest on the replacement strut covers? Alan got a replacement set to try out.
And thanks Alan for showing us these... http://www.steeda.com/products/steed...overs_s197.php
I called them earlier today but Dan wasn't there so I left a message. The lady said I wasn't on the list. I'll try again Monday hopefully the new mold works out.

BTW-Just got back from the track where I got runner-up in my 9.00-9.99 class. Can't believe it I got second with a 9.004 the guy that got first had a 9.003. Talk about bad luck. Atleast I still got a trophy and I still get my pic on the site and my name in the SD paper.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)