General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 12/3/06, 01:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found a thread on another site about guys wanting to paint their K&N inlet tubes. Probably more work than it's worth but I'm interested in seeing how it turns out.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ad.php?t=68485
Old 12/3/06, 08:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Found a thread on another site about guys wanting to paint their K&N inlet tubes. Probably more work than it's worth but I'm interested in seeing how it turns out.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ad.php?t=68485
Depending on the theme of the engine bay, guess it can look good painted. I would like to see some pics once that guy paints his.
Old 12/3/06, 01:03 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT;792250[COLOR=blue
I hope I don't have to remove the shroud as it was a PITA for Bill and I to get it alinged last time.[/COLOR]
I'm afraid you are going to have to remove the whole thing. I can't see how you can get to the bolts under the scoop from the top. There are 4 or 6 bolts that hold the scoop to the shroud (I had to remove these to swap my damaged scoop). After those come off, I think you can get to the duct attachment. Let us know how it goes.
Old 12/3/06, 06:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, miss a couple of days and it's hard to catch up.

Was at the John Force Holiday Car Show today and whew !! I have rarely seen that many cars out on display. I'll post pics a little later on. I don't think my 1GB card could have possibly held everything if I attempted to take a pic of each of the cars there.

Anyway. It's been a couple weeks, but I finally got my video and a so-so pic of the exhaust. Yes, before you ask, I chessed out and spent 40 bucks and had it fixed. Turns out I had the X-Pipe upside down and that's why nothing lined up and I couldn;t get it to tighten up or align worth a ****.

And the movie, I think you have to click on it to get it to play

Now the shifter. I wasn't gonna drag my DSLR under the car while I was working and the batteries have been dead due to me losing the charger, luckily I finally got a charger this afternoon... which is why I got the video.

The car looks dirtier than it is.
Old 12/3/06, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
I'm afraid you are going to have to remove the whole thing...
I'm afraid Tom is correct, the shroud will have to come off.

I took a look at mine today and even if you loosen the 2 bolts at the rear of the scoop, the duct will still stay attached.
Old 12/3/06, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by habu
Turns out I had the X-Pipe upside down and that's why nothing lined up and I couldn't get it to tighten up or align worth a ****.

Now the shifter. I wasn't gonna drag my DSLR under the car while I was working and the batteries have been dead due to me losing the charger, luckily I finally got a charger this afternoon... which is why I got the video.
Had the X upside down, huh?

The Hurst ball looks pretty cool! How's the throw? Shifting into the gates feel like stock or notchy?

And please tell me thats a stick of lip balm on your console and not some wierd feminine product.
Old 12/3/06, 09:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Had the X upside down, huh?
Yes, I am a dunce.

The Hurst ball looks pretty cool! How's the throw? Shifting into the gates feel like stock or notchy?
Throw = Short
Notchy, but I think I have the bolt from the bottom of the shifter to the trans linkage too tight.

And please tell me thats a stick of lip balm on your console and not some wierd feminine product.
Chapstick. I tore off the plastic wrapping opening it... honest.
Old 12/4/06, 01:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Depending on the theme of the engine bay, guess it can look good painted. I would like to see some pics once that guy paints his.
Here's a pic someone posted on that "other" site.

I'm afraid Tom is correct, the shroud will have to come off.

I took a look at mine today and even if you loosen the 2 bolts at the rear of the scoop, the duct will still stay attached.
I'm assuming I'm going to have to but I really hope I don't have to.
Old 12/4/06, 01:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Brian- Glad to hear you got your pipes fixed. The shifter looks good but not on my mod list since I have an auto.
Old 12/4/06, 01:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Just finished checking out mossmustang.com and found a bunch of new products.
http://www.mossmustang.com/Browse/Pl...wProducts.aspx

Here's some that I have questions about.

"A windage tray keeps oil in the pan where it belongs. The factory windage tray does very little to keep your oil where it belongs, in the pan. See gains of up to 15HP on stock engines, even more gains on modified engines with our performance windage tray. The unique screen allows oil to quickly return to the pan, and keeps oil from splashing on the crankshaft and rods, decreasing drag and increasing horsepower. Easy bolt on installation, requires no modifications, includes all hardware and easy to follow instructions. Works with stock and most performance oil pans."

Do you guys really think this will add 15hp? Or any significant hp for that matter?
---------

"The rear braces will beef up your Mustang's ability to get the power to the pavement during cornering."

Fact or Fiction?
-----------
Just something to make you say WTF and something for Tom and Susan.

Old 12/4/06, 02:31 AM
KdF
Bullitt Member

"The rear braces will beef up your Mustang's ability to get the power to the pavement during cornering."

What , and fishtail faster?

I do like the convertable cover , but who owns a Mustang and takes their bicycles?

And what are you doing up at this hour Leo???
Old 12/4/06, 02:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Uhhh...Catching up on what I missed while I watched football and of course looking for new ways to spend my cash. Like this ornament I'm getting from cal-mustang.

While searching for stuff do buy I found another wtf item. Who would buy this? And if anyone did would they eat them? I couldn't and wouldn't I'd put them on my desk or something.
Old 12/4/06, 07:43 AM

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...4&d=1165163849
Yuk. I'll stick with black.
It kind of reminds me of those silver painted street performers.
Attachment 15065

(Re. Shaker shroud) I'm assuming I'm going to have to but I really hope I don't have to.
Looks like there's no way around it, unless you just take a hacksaw to the rear duct where it exists the scoop. (Please don't do this, I'm just kidding.)

A windage tray keeps oil in the pan where it belongs.
Do you guys really think this will add 15hp? Or any significant hp for that matter?
Doubt it.
Internal lubrication is one thing I wouldn't want to mess with as the the last thing I need is to burn up the engine by installing some 'oil' mod in hopes for 15hp.

Fact or Fiction?
When did you start Autocrossing?
What? You didn't? Save yourself the money and buy something else.

... and of course looking for new ways to spend my cash. Like this ornament I'm getting from cal-mustang.
I have a similar ornament, but it's a ceramic '53 Corvette Coke-a-Cola SE. I bought it back when I had my '92.

... Who would buy this? And if anyone did would they eat them? I couldn't and wouldn't I'd put them on my desk or something.
Hey! I bought some car cookies a while back, they were yummy.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-street_artist2.jpg  
Old 12/4/06, 08:24 AM
GTR Member

Doubt it.
Internal lubrication is one thing I wouldn't want to mess with as the the last thing I need is to burn up the engine by installing some 'oil' mod in hopes for 15hp.
Actually, it will. But it won't add HP like a CAI, but it frees up HP like underdriven pullies. As the engine starts to rotate faster and faster, the crank starts to suck up oil. The rods have to be drawn through this oil and it causes a drag on the engine. The windage tray stops the "wind" and keeps the oil in the pan where it belongs. I have one on the engine I built for the '89:

Attachment 15066

But I would never, NEVER start messing with the '06 engine like that.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn0919.jpg  
Old 12/4/06, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
But I would never, NEVER start messing with the '06 engine like that.
Exactly. The way I see it, if this windage tray is such a benefit, why didn't the factory install it?

Speaking of UD pullies, I had a set installed on my '85 GT. Did I notice a difference (SOTP butt meter)? Not really. I also noticed that my battery couldn't hold a charge worth a darn and I saw my dash lights brighten everytime I revved it.
Old 12/4/06, 09:50 AM
GTR Member

Exactly. The way I see it, if this windage tray is such a benefit, why didn't the factory install it?

Speaking of UD pullies, I had a set installed on my '85 GT. Did I notice a difference (SOTP butt meter)? Not really. I also noticed that my battery couldn't hold a charge worth a darn and I saw my dash lights brighten everytime I revved it.
There is a benefit... the factory doesn't install them because of $$$ savings. But not enough of a benefit to drop the oil pan to install one. If I own the car long enough to ever have to drop the pan (like to change the oil pan gasket), then I would consider throwing a windage tray in.

That's the way UD pullies work. They are also on the '89, but I think of that as my race car so I don't care if the water temp and volts fluctuate at a light. The water temp is at 180 put creeps up to 200 or higher depending how long the wait at a red light is. Even the headlights get brighter when I pull away from a red light.
Old 12/4/06, 09:59 AM
Team Mustang Source

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...4&d=1165163849

I'm assuming I'm going to have to but I really hope I don't have to.
:gay: all in one, IMO. Just my .02, but that pic is a good example of when someone doesn't stop adding things to the stang just to add them. There is a fine line between tasteful and tastless.

On a windage tray.... If you can free up HP, then good, but I don't think that we're getting to the point where a windage tray is needed. It doesn't hurt, but there is only so much you can do before you start messing with engine internals and if you're willing to go that far, then just get a blower. Cheaper more reliable HP. YMMV
Old 12/4/06, 10:09 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by habu
:gay: all in one, IMO. Just my .02, but that pic is a good example of when someone doesn't stop adding things to the stang just to add them. There is a fine line between tasteful and tastless.
Yes... too much crap.

Your Mileage May Vary?
Old 12/4/06, 12:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yuk. I'll stick with black.
It kind of reminds me of those silver painted street performers.

Agreed.

Looks like there's no way around it, unless you just take a hacksaw to the rear duct where it exists the scoop. (Please don't do this, I'm just kidding.)

I'd never do that....

Doubt it.

Not really considering it just wondering if it actually did what it stated. I'd never attempt to mess with the engine considering I just recently learned how to replace an H-pipe.

When did you start Autocrossing?
What? You didn't? Save yourself the money and buy something else.

Thanks mom.

Hey! I bought some car cookies a while back, they were yummy.

Old 12/4/06, 12:23 PM

Here's a pic of me in the rearview cam on the concept Mustang (Richard took the pic).

Pretty amazing, huh? (me, not the LCD/Camera technology )
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-q1010148.jpg  

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)