General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 11/27/06, 08:26 AM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
*Tom, cover your ears*

Center your tips in less than 10 minutes!

Loosen up the mid-pipe clamp and have a buddy center the tip within the bumper cut-out (can adjust in/out, and around in all directions). When centered, tighten back up the mid-pipe clamp.

Repeat for other side.

Tip: Use the finger gap method to center the tip (as in sliding your finger between the exhaust tip and the sides of the bumber cut-out).
It seems one side will always fall right into place and the other side is a pain. So, tighten the mid-pipe clamp on the good side down tight (40 lb-ft is the torque spec) and then do what Bill said to make the other side match.

You can do it yourself. Whichever tip you are adjusting, just leave the mid-pipe clamp loose enough so you can adjust it, but tight enough so it stays where you put it. Then go behind the car and move the tip to where you want it - then go back under the car and tighten it down.
Old 11/27/06, 11:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 89Trooper
It seems one side will always fall right into place and the other side is a pain.
Exactly. The drivers side is perfect but the pass. side pipe after the x-pipe seems to want to hang down lower and it all seems rather loose. I tightened it all up very, very tight but still it doesn't seem right. I did some more on Sunday to make it a little better. I have the late-shift here at work until Friday and I have to be in Ontario for the next couple of days. It's gonna have to be OK til Saturday... Thanks for the tips though. I will try again. I wasn't gonna let the shifter beat me and I won't let the exhaust do the same.

On a small side note, I love the sound. Parking in the underground parking structure today already seeing if I can set off a couple alarms...
Old 11/27/06, 12:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

One set of wheels and tires sold one more to go. This has worked out perfectly as I've now offset the cost of my new wheels by almost half. If I can get this last set to sell I'll have paid about 50-60 for my new wheels and tires. Best part of all is I'll be able to start thinking about what mod is next. Although it would probably be best to wait untill after Christmas since I'm sure the wife will be taking a few things off my list.
Old 11/27/06, 04:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Story time....

On my way back from getting my car registered today when a silver stang pulls up along side me gives me a thumbs up and screams "Leo06GT". I felt like a celebrity. Well once I got home I checked allfordmustangs.com and it turns out it's a fellow SDMC/Forum member.

This is what he posted-

"Ahhh...the unmistakable roar of Leo's GT rumbling by on the 94 East.

Thanks Leo...I think I ca-rapped meself. (Read: That 'stang sounds SA-WEEET!!!!)

Ha ha! Nice ride man...nice to finally see it up close.

Peace out!"
Just a feel good story I thought I'd share.
Old 11/27/06, 05:20 PM
Cobra Member

A belated happy birthday to you Bill, and a belated congrats to you and Leo for you wins!
I just got back from the Texas and turkey day with the inlaws. 1600 miles o drivin... nearly 400 of which was in the Houston area and had the after burners kicked in coming home (I'm thinken a radar detector may be useful afterall ) and managed 22.4 mpg with the stang. Speaking of which, Dubh is about to be a virgin no longer... Mod #1 has been ordered and with any luck I will have it on this weekend. I ordered the GTAs today, $251.99 shipped, not too shabby for a price! I know, I'm a wimp compared to Bill and his exhaust, but it's my daily driver!
Now I just need to resolve what I'm gonna do about a tuner and get the money up for that...
That and a Steeda shifter are on my list next.... maybe an X-pipe depending on what the GTAs sound like.
Old 11/27/06, 10:13 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Just a feel good story I thought I'd share.
Cool story... you're famous!
Old 11/27/06, 10:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Cool story... you're famous!

Wow! This is probably the slowest day this thread has ever seen. Is everybody OK?
Old 11/27/06, 10:23 PM
GTR Member

Due to the fact that I don't plan on ever doing any autocrossing or any "canyon-carving", I may be the guinea pig for this mod:

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/05Mustang/RS-1.jpg

I have a theory. I think that doing this mod will soften the ride up a little bit, or even a lot. If you think about it, every time the tire goes over a bump, it pushes up on the lower half of the strut assembly. Not only does it compress the spring and strut, but it tries to rotate the sway-bar. The sway bar reacts on the the other strut assembly and also puts force on the frame itself. All of this adds to the harshness felt by the driver. Now think if the sway bar was removed: just the strut and spring would be compressed and I think this would be a lot less harsh and will bring back some ride comfort.

To test this out, I'm going to remove everything shown in the link above except for the crossmember in the morning. If I see an improvement in ride quality and the car doesn't lean excessively then I might as well buy the radiator support for the weight reduction. Other people on TMS have this and use their cars as daily drivers and find there is not much body sway unless you are really carving corners (which I normally don't).

Another plus: Unless everything is dead on perfect, there will always be a pre-load on the sway-bar caused by the sway-bar links. This leans the body when the car is standing still and also affects turning. No sway-bar and no sway-bar links = no pre-load.

More info can be found here:

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/2005MustangCHASSIS.htm

If you plan to drag again, Leo, here's almost 30 more lbs off the nose! From BMR: The factory radiator crossmember is built overly strong because it must also support the additional loads of the front sway bar. With the swaybar removed, the crossmember only needs to support the weight of the radiator. Our lightweight crossmember only weighs 5.5 lbs. as compared the OE 16.5 lbs. Combined with sway bar removal, expect a 26.5 Lb. weight reduction!

$149.00 with free shipping.

Found this from a daily driver on another forum:

"
My sway bar has been off for 4k miles now, I still go through corners pretty hard. I push my car to its limits in the curves before and I haven't had to alter my driving for not having the sway bar. Yes it does have a little more body roll, I can live with it even going through a 35mph posted curve at 55."

Old 11/27/06, 11:17 PM
GT Member

Whats up guys have a question??

I have to take my car in for a oil change and to see if they can correct the notchy gear shifting problem I have.
first question- has the dealers said anything to anyone negative about the off road pipe you have instaled?? Will I run into any problems from them??
Question two- on other posts , other people have experienced notchy gear shifting.Some guy stated that jacking your car up on the drivers side so the tire is 8 inches of the ground and pumping your clutch in and out slowly for 5 minutes will correct the problem. The cause of this problem is stated that there is a air pocket in the hydrolic clutch line which is NOT allowing the throw out bearing to fully engage, causing NOTCHY SHIFTING. Does this make sense?? Anyone else with this problem??
Thanks
Congrats on the new wheels Leo
Old 11/28/06, 12:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Due to the fact that I don't plan on ever doing any autocrossing or any "canyon-carving", I may be the guinea pig for this mod:

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/05Mustang/RS-1.jpg

I have a theory. I think that doing this mod will soften the ride up a little bit, or even a lot. If you think about it, every time the tire goes over a bump, it pushes up on the lower half of the strut assembly. Not only does it compress the spring and strut, but it tries to rotate the sway-bar. The sway bar reacts on the the other strut assembly and also puts force on the frame itself. All of this adds to the harshness felt by the driver. Now think if the sway bar was removed: just the strut and spring would be compressed and I think this would be a lot less harsh and will bring back some ride comfort.

To test this out, I'm going to remove everything shown in the link above except for the crossmember in the morning. If I see an improvement in ride quality and the car doesn't lean excessively then I might as well buy the radiator support for the weight reduction. Other people on TMS have this and use their cars as daily drivers and find there is not much body sway unless you are really carving corners (which I normally don't).

Another plus: Unless everything is dead on perfect, there will always be a pre-load on the sway-bar caused by the sway-bar links. This leans the body when the car is standing still and also affects turning. No sway-bar and no sway-bar links = no pre-load.

More info can be found here:

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/2005MustangCHASSIS.htm

If you plan to drag again, Leo, here's almost 30 more lbs off the nose! From BMR: The factory radiator crossmember is built overly strong because it must also support the additional loads of the front sway bar. With the swaybar removed, the crossmember only needs to support the weight of the radiator. Our lightweight crossmember only weighs 5.5 lbs. as compared the OE 16.5 lbs. Combined with sway bar removal, expect a 26.5 Lb. weight reduction!

$149.00 with free shipping.

Found this from a daily driver on another forum:

"My sway bar has been off for 4k miles now, I still go through corners pretty hard. I push my car to its limits in the curves before and I haven't had to alter my driving for not having the sway bar. Yes it does have a little more body roll, I can live with it even going through a 35mph posted curve at 55."
Sounds like a good Idea Tom keep us posted. As for me I don't really want to tinker with the car to that extent. I like going to the strip but don't ever really plan on trying to make the car run sub 12's or anything like that. I'd like to get it into low 13's or even a 12.99. As of right now I don't have anything more than gears and slicks for the rear planned in the performance dept. If that doesn't get me into the above times then oh well.

Originally Posted by 2006muzzy
I have to take my car in for a oil change and to see if they can correct the notchy gear shifting problem I have.
first question- has the dealers said anything to anyone negative about the off road pipe you have instaled?? Will I run into any problems from them??
Question two- on other posts , other people have experienced notchy gear shifting.Some guy stated that jacking your car up on the drivers side so the tire is 8 inches of the ground and pumping your clutch in and out slowly for 5 minutes will correct the problem. The cause of this problem is stated that there is a air pocket in the hydrolic clutch line which is NOT allowing the throw out bearing to fully engage, causing NOTCHY SHIFTING. Does this make sense?? Anyone else with this problem??
Thanks
Congrats on the new wheels Leo
Thanks. I don't have any idea what to tell you as far as your problem goes. What I can tell you though is that I took my car in for the 10,000 mile service and nobody said a word about my k&n or O/R H. I don't think they really care untill something breaks and they don't feel like paying for it.
Old 11/28/06, 08:34 AM
GTR Member

Sounds like a good Idea Tom keep us posted.

I don't have any idea what to tell you as far as your problem goes.
Well, it's off:

Attachment 14639

I didn't even have to jack up the nose to take it off, either. I turned the wheels all the way in one direction and I could reach the sway-bar connection on one side and the link connection on the other side. Then I just turned the wheels all the way the other direction to finish. After that, I pulled it all out from the front. I'll let you all know how the car handles on the way to work today and if my theory is correct.

Tony - I never heard of that problem (or that fix), either.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn4406.jpg  
Old 11/28/06, 10:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
On my way back from getting my car registered today when a silver stang pulls up along side me gives me a thumbs up and screams "Leo06GT". I felt like a celebrity.
Leo the Celebrity!

Everyone at my party who saw your car said that it was sweet!

Originally Posted by pville piper
A belated happy birthday to you Bill, and a belated congrats to you and Leo for you wins!
Thanks John!
Let us know how you like the GTA's.

Originally Posted by 2006muzzy
Hey Tony! As far as I know, Dealers won't give you any grief over any mod UNLESS you're there for a warranty claim on a related item.

First I've heard of the stock shifter being notchy... Now, my Saleen Short Throw Shift Block feels notchy.

I'll let you all know how the car handles on the way to work today and if my theory is correct.
I'm curious how it'll handle too. Keep us informed.
Old 11/28/06, 10:37 AM
GTR Member

I'm curious how it'll handle too. Keep us informed.
I did a quick drive around the neighborhood (turning through turns quicker than you should in a sub-division). I even did a U-turn sliding through half of it. I don't feel any difference in body roll.

I car pool today and I drive. I'll tell my friend to be on the lookout for something different about the car, but I won't tell him if it's sound, power, handling, etc. I'll see if he notices anything.

I'll report back when I get to work.

I sent BMR an email explaining how I want the weight reduction (I have to lose 170lbs to come down to the coupe weight), and how I want to get rid of the pre-load. I explained that I am a daily driver and don't do any road racing. I asked if other than slightly more body roll, would any damage be done to the car. I'll post the reply here, too.
Old 11/28/06, 01:24 PM
GTR Member

As of right now I don't have anything more than gears and slicks for the rear planned in the performance dept.
Be careful with getting slicks. Normally, the tire to the ground is the "weak point". If you make them grip better, then you'll surely find your second weakest point - whether it be your axles, gears, driveshaft, etc. You really want the tires to slip first before something else breaks.
Old 11/28/06, 02:08 PM

Be careful with getting slicks. Normally, the tire to the ground is the "weak point". If you make them grip better, then you'll surely find your second weakest point - whether it be your axles, gears, driveshaft, etc. You really want the tires to slip first before something else breaks.

We don't want to hear Leo's last words being...
Old 11/28/06, 02:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

We don't want to hear Leo's last words being...
Thanks for the heads up guys. Well looks like the 04 wheels and tires will be shipping off tomorrow. Don't worry Bill I've kept the guy well informed of the status and probably called him more times than necessary so you should get another postive comment on your ebay profile.
Old 11/28/06, 02:22 PM

... so you should get another postive comment on your ebay profile.
That's always a good thing.

btw- I finally got my Plasma yesterday.
Old 11/28/06, 02:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

That's always a good thing.

btw- I finally got my Plasma yesterday.
Where's the pics? Is that why you skipped work? Did you get a deal on it or did you just say screw it?
Old 11/28/06, 02:38 PM

Where's the pics?
No pics, but here's the model I got, TH-42PX6U.

Is that why you skipped work?
Of course! I can't find a better reason!

Did you get a deal on it or did you just say screw it?
Well, I didn't get the kind of Black Friday deal I was hoping for, but Costco had them on sale (ended yesterday) for $1299.99. So, I guess I did say 'Screw it!'
Old 11/28/06, 02:50 PM

Incase I don't come on later tonight, I'll be off to the LA Autoshow in the morning.

My plan is to be there for the Press breakfast at 7:30am

Bum around and take pics of Mustang stuff
Be at the Ford Conference at 11:40am (supposed to be some interesting news)

And finally, hit the Press luncheon for some grub

Then I'm outta there!

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)