General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 11/22/06, 10:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 89Trooper
I have NEVER hit the chin spoiler even one time on anything on this car.

and if I was doing the rotor swap today I would still use the stock pads. Unless you've been doing some Autocross racing lately...
That top sentence sealed the deal. I think Leo will add the Ultralites back on his list.

Interesting point.. I'd pull the wheel and see how much pad is left, then make the call.
Old 11/22/06, 10:54 PM

Sunset Showdown music video

If you have 7 minutes to kill...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV3UhAyvEaE

Pics by me, Kevin, and Bill (JedCranium)
Old 11/23/06, 01:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
Have any idea how many guys here use their Mustangs as a daily AND have both a CDC Classic & Eibach Pro/BMR/Steeda/Roush/etc. lowering springs combination? Lots.
You just have to be careful. The 'look' is worth it IMO.

On the rotors, yes, it's fairly straight forward. Having a breaker bar would be a plus when doing it yourself. Check out my 'How-To' to see what's involved.
However... I think you mentioned that you are near 10k miles. If so, I would recommend installing new brake pads along with the new rotors.
Leo now has 2 choices! Can't beat that!

Went to dinner with some friends - here's my catch up post.
Those don't show enough. Daryl PM'd me back and said his is the same as mine - a lot of room on one side, and not so much room on the other. I knew it had to be that way, but it makes me feel better that he checked.

Do it! The only way I would really worry about it is with the Eibach springs (like on my '03 GT). That was a 1.5" drop. The Ultra Lites are only 7/8". Your car will look soooooo much better slightly dropped. I have NEVER hit the chin spoiler even one time on anything on this car.

Like Bill said, the rotors are a very easy swap. If you have a helper, you can swing off the calipers, slide off the old rotors, slide on the new rotors, and then put the calipers right back on without the need to "hang" them. You might be surprised on how little brake pad wear you have. I'm slowly gaining on 7K and if I was doing the rotor swap today I would still use the stock pads. Unless you've been doing some Autocross racing lately...

Very worth it!
OK, OK fine you guys convinced me.
Old 11/23/06, 01:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by fxdwg2002
You couldn't afford it I love wrenching on stuff, so I usually just work for beer. Now that you know where I'm at, drop by anytime.
Thanks for the offer I'll keep that in mind.
Old 11/23/06, 03:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I think you all understand what I'm trying to say. Just in case. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.
Old 11/23/06, 04:41 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

Try not to over induldge; hard not to though... as I'm sure I'll eat my fair share of tryptophans.

Looks like I'm in for another 'camping' stint, but this time at Best Buy for their Black Friday specials.
Old 11/23/06, 09:11 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Happy Thanksgiving everyone !!!

Bill you will NEVER see me camping out for anything, not even if I was .......... camping. (Famous Ron White words)
Old 11/23/06, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
Bill you will NEVER see me camping out for anything...
You haven't lived until you spend an entire night outside a retail store in the cold! You really get in touch with your inner self to test your strength, will, and patience. Or, it can be pure stupidity!
Old 11/23/06, 09:24 AM

MWAG Strut Covers

Doesn't look good for the home team... read it and weep (post #72 and down)!

For those who didn't order a set, consider yourselves fortunate.

I recall a cliche about never buying a first run of anything until they work the bugs out....
Old 11/23/06, 09:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Happy thanksgiving to all !!

Bill happy thanksgiving and many thanks to everything. I didn't know you were the camping type on deals. Where are you camping out I want to drive by and say hi. All I can say is every year it gets earlier and earlier. I remember when I started doing this, it was 1/2 hour earlier, now its a day. I started 2000. If I was you, to kill time, I would detail the car.
Old 11/23/06, 09:36 AM
Bullitt Member

What are you buying bill?
Old 11/23/06, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by st06vert
Happy thanksgiving to all !!

Bill happy thanksgiving and many thanks to everything. I didn't know you were the camping type on deals. Where are you camping out I want to drive by and say hi. All I can say is every year it gets earlier and earlier. I remember when I started doing this, it was 1/2 hour earlier, now its a day. I started 2000. If I was you, to kill time, I would detail the car.
I might go to the Best Buy in Signal Hill. It just opened a couple months ago and it's off the beaten path, which may help with keeping the crowds down.

Good idea with killing time, but I have no dirt left on my car to wipe off!

What are you buying bill?
I'm thinking 42" Plasma and the $249 notebook.
Old 11/23/06, 09:52 AM
Bullitt Member

I might go to the Best Buy in Signal Hill. It just opened a couple months ago and it's off the beaten path, which may help with keeping the crowds down.

Good idea with killing time, but I have no dirt left on my car to wipe off!

I'm thinking 42" Plasma and the $249 notebook.

I might go to bb too. Anyways have fun. Entertain the people and do some burnout on the lot.

You shouldnt clean the car too much you'll never know when you will need to clean it. lol
Old 11/23/06, 09:56 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
You haven't lived until you spend an entire night outside a retail store in the cold! You really get in touch with your inner self to test your strength, will, and patience. Or, it can be pure stupidity!
Try building a snow cave and sleeping overnight in below zero temps.

I've done it just for fun.
Old 11/23/06, 09:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey bill I think thats a good choice on the plasma.

Oh by the way I hate bestbuy, I will only buy from them when they are losing money on the item.
Old 11/23/06, 10:26 AM
GTR Member

Doesn't look good for the home team... read it and weep (post #72 and down)!

For those who didn't order a set, consider yourselves fortunate.

I recall a cliche about never buying a first run of anything until they work the bugs out....
That one guy on the post hit the nail on the head. Take them on and off for the car shows. No real reason to have them on with the hood closed and it's not like it takes 20 minutes to install each side. I took mine off now - I can't believe I didn't notice the hood bulging like that!

Another option is to remove the underhood heat shield and dremel away the area under the hood where they make contact, then replace the heat shield to cover the hole (there's a second layer of hood in that area). I doubt the heat shield itself will make as much of a mark - and the hood won't bulge.
Old 11/23/06, 10:32 AM
GTR Member

The stock H-Pipe is back on. My lovely Flowmaster sound is back. I finished it up this morning - we aren't going to my parents' house for Thanksgiving until later this afternoon. Guess I'll be forced to watch the Bucs game.

I started it up, let the exhaust get nice and hot, and I'll retorque everything tomorrow morning after it cools. It's amazing how you can align the tips with the mid-pipe clamps loose. In, out, up, down, left, right. My neighbors must think I'm nuts as I slowly walk up to the rear of the car making sure the tips "disappear" under the car at the same time. Then I lay on the ground behind the car examining the tips (it's still jacked up in the front, so the rear is angled down). They are now perfect!

Oh well - have to go mash some potatoes...
Old 11/23/06, 12:33 PM
KdF
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Urp!

AAhhhhhhhhh.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

<looks around> Oh , I just hadda share.

PIE NEXT!!!!!
Old 11/23/06, 02:02 PM

That one guy on the post hit the nail on the head. Take them on and off for the car shows. No real reason to have them on with the hood closed...

Another option is to remove the underhood heat shield and dremel away the area under the hood where they make contact, then replace the heat shield to cover the hole (there's a second layer of hood in that area). I doubt the heat shield itself will make as much of a mark - and the hood won't bulge.
Like I said over in that other thread... UNACCEPTABLE. These covers were not sold as 'For Show Use Only'.

Yes, dremeling the point of contact area is a fix, but why should we be forced to mame and disfigure our hood when it should have been engineered with sufficient clearance from the start.

My point can't be argued. I'm 100% right on this.

It's amazing how you can align the tips with the mid-pipe clamps loose. In, out, up, down, left, right... They are now perfect!
I remember telling this to everyone back in February, yet many have chose to bend their hanger rods.
Adjusting the mid-pipe clamps will also relieve any clamping issues over the axle caused by preload.
Old 11/23/06, 02:07 PM

Entertain the people and do some burnout on the lot.
With my Tacoma truck??

I don't think a 42" Plasma will fit in the GT (nor will I want to attempt it).

Hey bill I think thats a good choice on the plasma.
Me too. I've read nothing but good reviews on it. I just hope I score one.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)