General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 11/5/06, 03:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Did you get the "Mustang Coupe Kit", or just a length of mole skin for evaluation? Since they have a "coupe kit", and a "convertible kit", I would think (expect) they would be pre-cut to the length (and width) needed for the specific cars. Because what would be the point of having specific kits?
My guess is I received the Coupe Kit.
With any kit, I believe that you'll get one long strip of Moleskin. The length will depend on whether you have a coupe or convertible.

No chance the width will be cut down. Out of the box width will work, but I went for a total custom fit. Really, all it takes is a measuring scale, pencil, straight edge, a box cutter, and all of about 30 seconds.

Specific kits are only to different (type of) car window lengths.

---------------------------

This guy knows what I'm talking about when I say the road is "busy" with lowered cars:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...8&postcount=11
I don't think it's as bad as he says, but I would like a strut that operates in the proper range.
To me, the ride quality isn't bad at all. But, I may have a different opinion if I drove it every day... doubt it though.

I too am curious how much the ride will smooth out when specific dampeners are installed... if any at all. The ride can only smooth out so much with lowered springs.
Old 11/5/06, 03:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bill- Your radar looks much better after the adjustment. Good job on the moleskin write-up. I'm just glad the tint shop I went to already knew about the problem and installed the moleskin for me.

I can't believe my Packers lost today that should have been an easy win. Oh well maybe next week.
Old 11/5/06, 04:07 PM
GTR Member

Shouldn't the convertible kit cost more since we need more material? But it's the same price as the coupe kit for some reason.

---------------------------

I too am curious how much the ride will smooth out when specific dampeners are installed... if any at all. The ride can only smooth out so much with lowered springs.
That's why I use the word "busy" and not "stiff". Of course, struts made for lowered vehicles won't smooth out the ride all the way (since we have stiffer springs). But, they can "clean up" the ride a bit by working in a range the strut is designed for (instead of already being compressed down halfway into it's operating range).

I'm not going to get them anyway - maybe down the road when the stock stuff starts to wear out. At a car show, who sees the struts??
Old 11/5/06, 04:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm not going to get them anyway - maybe down the road when the stock stuff starts to wear out. At a car show, who sees the struts??

Agreed, you can put them at the bottom of your list.
Old 11/5/06, 04:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Anyone here planning on the painted radiator cover from MWAG. I'd like to but think it would be a waste to get a black one since that car is already black. Although I've been thinking of possibly getting one in a different color to give the engine bay some contrast. Possibly a Tungsten or Alloy. Any suggestions???
Old 11/5/06, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Shouldn't the convertible kit cost more since we need more material? But it's the same price as the coupe kit for some reason.
Same price? Quick! Go order the convertible kit before they catch that error!

That's why I use the word "busy" and not "stiff". Of course, struts made for lowered vehicles won't smooth out the ride all the way (since we have stiffer springs). But, they can "clean up" the ride a bit by working in a range the strut is designed for (instead of already being compressed down halfway into it's operating range).

Agreed. No big rush to swap them out.

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Anyone here planning on the painted radiator cover from MWAG. I'd like to but think it would be a waste to get a black one since that car is already black. Although I've been thinking of possibly getting one in a different color to give the engine bay some contrast. Possibly a Tungsten or Alloy. Any suggestions???
Ehh.. not for me. I like the OEM black plastic one.
For you, not too sure about the 'contrasting' color options... just my measley opinion though.
Old 11/5/06, 05:37 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
I like the black one, too. Seems like a lot of money when you could just paint your own with that same type of paint I used to paint my speaker covers.

It was always an area that I didn't want to draw too much attention too, so why paint it a color that stands out?
Old 11/6/06, 07:54 AM
GT Member

Hey everyone, I'm back !! sorry that I haven't been around in a long time.It's gonna be great talkin to Bill, daryl, susan and Tom. I have 6000 miles on the mustang and I'm getting ready to put her away for the winter. It's unbelievable that everyone has done such a great job with all their mods. I have made a few myself.the have the Diablo preditor tune, underdrive pully,flowmaster and O/r x-pipe ( which I hate). If any one is in the market in buying a O/r pipe, I suggest getting the H-pipe. The x-pipe is way too raspy. It almost sounds like a ricer. I'm ordering a H-pipe this week. It's crazy how much different the 2 types of pipes sound. i love that deep muscle car sound that the O/r H-pipe creates. GOOD TO BE BACK!! Bill- great vids on you tube. The vid that I was making turned out not so good. I scraped the project!!
have a great day everyone
Old 11/6/06, 08:01 AM

Welcome back Tony!

Do stay up on this thread as often as you can, topics change daily.

And, tell us if you're thinking about a certain mod before buying it, we just may be able to offer you some feedback on it, good or bad.
Old 11/6/06, 08:03 AM
GTR Member

Yeah, welcome back!

We will need more pics... you can see all of ours in our signatures!
Old 11/6/06, 08:09 AM
GT Member

Thanks

Originally Posted by TacoBill

Welcome back Tony!

Do stay up on this thread as often as you can, topics change daily.

And, tell us if you're thinking about a certain mod before buying it, we just may be able to offer you some feedback on it, good or bad.
i sure will. in fact , i'm mad at myself for getting the x-pipe put on. I hate it sooooooooooooooo much. After watching your vid with the h-pipe , I have decided to rip that pipe off asap. i was gonna put my factory h-pipe back on but the O/R pipe sounds awsom. Question- when your decelerating does your car make a whaling sound around 3000 rpm?? The x- pipe makes this horrible high pitched raspy farting sound that drives me nuts
Old 11/6/06, 08:11 AM
GT Member

Thanks Tom

Yeah, welcome back!

We will need more pics... you can see all of ours in our signatures!
I know , I know . I have a lot of catching up to do. Great to be back
Old 11/6/06, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by 2006muzzy
Question- when your decelerating does your car make a whaling sound around 3000 rpm?? The x- pipe makes this horrible high pitched raspy farting sound that drives me nuts
Leo (he's got a black 06) will be able to give you an accurate feedback on the "whaling sound around 3000 rpm" with the O/R H with the Flowmaster A/T.

Tom will be getting this same set-up by the end of the week (hopefully).

I have the FRPP Stingers, so it's a bit different.
Old 11/6/06, 08:42 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Tom will be getting this same set-up by the end of the week (hopefully).
Hopefully by next Tuesday so I can put them on Wed and Thurs. I doubt they will be here by tomorrow for this weekend.

------------------------------

Here are some videos I made just playing around. Nothing fancy, but I do need a new camera.

You can hear the engine and exhaust pretty good, though. They are all with the top up and the windows rolled up.

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...stangs/Videos/

All the clickity clackity noises are the camera itself - it went nuts when going over any slight bump and even during shifting - I didn't even hear those noises until I watched the videos and I was like, WTF is that?

The first one is coming out of my development. The truck that I pulled out behind was probably going 60, so I hit close to 70 before slowing down. I didn't floor it around the corner, but I did get on it pretty good in 1st - and it would have been next to impossible to chirp in 2nd while already going so fast.

The second one is going onto the Turnpike. I tried narrating, but it's too hard when watching traffic. I was going 60 through most of the long turn and shut it down just around 95. The speed climbs too fast to call out.

The third one is going through another toll booth (I pay $2 each way, but it's so much better, and quicker!). I go from about 30 to right around 80 after the booth once the car gets out of my way! Speed limit is 55 but we all go 65 (80 is a little high, though and cops sit right after that bumpy bridge at the end of the video). I need that Solo S2!

The fourth one is pulling into work before the security gate. I slid it around the corner a little, but you can't tell in the video that much. At 21 seconds, you can see Expedition Everest in the background until it goes off the left of the screen.
Old 11/6/06, 09:16 AM
GT Member

Awsome !!! I just ordered the H-pipe. Once that comes in the X-pipe is going on ebay. Thanks for the help guys !!
Old 11/6/06, 09:22 AM
GTR Member

Awsome !!! I just ordered the H-pipe. Once that comes in the X-pipe is going on ebay. Thanks for the help guys !!
What kind of H-Pipe did you get? Also... what underdrive pulleys did you get? I had them on my '03 GT and was thinking of getting them to free up some of that parasitic HP loss. Any cooling or charging issues?

I just got an email from Brenspeed - the H ships out today! I waited 4 weeks for it, but it doesn't seem as long as the 4 weeks I waited for the car to ship!
Old 11/6/06, 09:26 AM
GT Member

x pipe vid

I got this vid off You tube. this is what my car sounds like. it's not good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfKP6HVt6UI
Old 11/6/06, 09:32 AM
GT Member

Hello

What kind of H-Pipe did you get? Also... what underdrive pulleys did you get? I had them on my '03 GT and was thinking of getting them to free up some of that parasitic HP loss. Any cooling or charging issues?

I just got an email from Brenspeed - the H ships out today! I waited 4 weeks for it, but it doesn't seem as long as the 4 weeks I waited for the car to ship!
that's where i ordered mine from. 4 weeks?? YIKES!!!
No issues with the underdrive pulley. It's a Motoblue underdrive pulley kit
Old 11/6/06, 09:40 AM

I got this vid off You tube. this is what my car sounds like. it's not good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfKP6HVt6UI
Ouch! That hurt my ears!

My O/R H sounds nothing like that!
Old 11/6/06, 09:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Bill, Tom, thanks for convincing me not to get the painted radiator cover. You've save me over a $100.

i sure will. in fact , i'm mad at myself for getting the x-pipe put on. I hate it sooooooooooooooo much. After watching your vid with the h-pipe , I have decided to rip that pipe off asap. i was gonna put my factory h-pipe back on but the O/R pipe sounds awsom. Question- when your decelerating does your car make a whaling sound around 3000 rpm?? The x- pipe makes this horrible high pitched raspy farting sound that drives me nuts
Describe this "whaling" sound you speak of. I love my O/R H and flowmasters and I think you will to. The sound difference is unbelivable.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)