General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 11/2/06, 08:18 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Maybe your car didn't need it to be reset?
This was before My CAI and tune..I had the dreaded throttle lag and this was supposed to be a fix for it..NO FIX FOR ME!!
Old 11/2/06, 08:41 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boltzman
This was before My CAI and tune..I had the dreaded throttle lag and this was supposed to be a fix for it..NO FIX FOR ME!!
We all had the dreaded throttle lag - no fix for that - it's in the programming. You should have seen it in the 2005 models! We just need to get Daryl to get his tune. To really appreciate the tune, I'm going to put it back to stock in about a month - it'll feel like I'm dragging an anchor.

That "fix" is just to make sure the computer knows where the throttle is when it's all the way up and all the way down - kind of like a calibration. Won't get rid of that lag, but would reset the throttle pedal location (if it was messed up).

Well, there is a fix for the throttle lag... a tune!
Old 11/2/06, 08:43 PM
GTR Member

The lag was worse in the autos,no??
Old 11/2/06, 09:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
I've yet to install them as I pray every night that someone will steal them and give me an excuse to buy some I really like.

Too funny, Leo!
Let me make a couple phone calls and I'll see if I can make that happen.

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
What do you guys think of this in a satin finish?
http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1064
Like Tom said, a little too much overkill on the satin stuff. UPR tries to make covers for just about everything imaginable in the interior compartment. Up next wil probably be some satin seat covers.

Originally Posted by metroplex
So how well do these mods work:

Leaky brake cap fix: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...8&postcount=11
Any recommendations for special PTFE tape?
I've had my original teflon tape wrapped around since March 11. No leaks yet.

As karman pointed out, there's different options to fix the leaky cap issue. The rubber liner inside the cap is probably the most tight and secure way to keep the fluid from coming out. Like my post referenced in my 'How To' link, I do state that it a 'cheap fix', and probably one of the quickest.
Old 11/2/06, 09:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

I haven't had the issue with the leaky brake cap, I checked this last weekend when I did my oil change and no drips or leaks. If it does I know where to go to get the answer.

I think I have the throttle lag/response issue or whatever, but I'm gonna get a C&L and Dougs tunes before the year is out (I hope) and after I get exhaust so I didn't want to try and "recalibrate" anything and am waiting for the tune to fix it.

That is the throttle lag is how the car just doesn't respond until your over 2500 rpms or so, right ?? There are times when I step on it and it just doesn't accelerate the way I think it should. ?? I dunno ?
Old 11/2/06, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by habu
That is the throttle lag is how the car just doesn't respond until your over 2500 rpms or so, right ?? There are times when I step on it and it just doesn't accelerate the way I think it should. ?? I dunno ?
Brian, your lag woes will go away once you load a 91 Octane tune.

When you look at my older videos (stock except for the Stingers), it ran okay, but not like it does now. With the 91 Race tune, get out the way!
Old 11/3/06, 12:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Oh yeah... I see your vids and it's where I want to be. Still a little afraid to go O/H on the exhaust though. Now that I've gone through the first oil change and I'm over 2K miles I don't mind doing a couple of things to the car.
Old 11/3/06, 07:28 AM

Oh yeah... I see your vids and it's where I want to be. Still a little afraid to go O/H on the exhaust though. Now that I've gone through the first oil change and I'm over 2K miles I don't mind doing a couple of things to the car.
You don't have to run an O/R pipe if you feel uneasy about getting rid of the cats (and the hassle of re-installing them for smog checks), there are alternatives. There's been a recent write-up on the FRPP catted X-Pipe that I have linked in my 'How To' page that you may want to check out. Coupled with a good axle-back exhaust, it'll sound great!
Old 11/3/06, 08:14 AM

I just received my Moleskin kit yesterday. If I have time this weekend, I'll try and install them. The only PITA thing will be to clean off the Velcro glue off the window wiper channels.

I'll be sure to take pics of the process.
Old 11/3/06, 09:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by TacoBill
You don't have to run an O/R pipe if you feel uneasy about getting rid of the cats (and the hassle of re-installing them for smog checks), there are alternatives. There's been a recent write-up on the FRPP catted X-Pipe that I have linked in my 'How To' page that you may want to check out. Coupled with a good axle-back exhaust, it'll sound great!

Cool my thought was to get the FRPP X-Pipe and the stingers. It wouldn't be OMG loud but an improvement.

Thanks !
Old 11/3/06, 10:45 AM

Cool my thought was to get the FRPP X-Pipe and the stingers. It wouldn't be OMG loud but an improvement.
Here's a link to the set-up you're thinking about, FRPP X-Pipe with Stingers.

I'm sure the difference in sound is more apparent when running through the gears versus just revving.
Old 11/3/06, 04:20 PM
GTR Member

I just received my Moleskin kit yesterday. If I have time this weekend, I'll try and install them.
The only PITA thing will be to clean off the Velcro glue off the window wiper channels.
I'll be sure to take pics of the process.
very interested in seeing how to clean the old glue off
Old 11/3/06, 07:49 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
I got my tune today. We got 283 HP and 308 lb/ft out of the K&N intake (corrected by SAE standards).
Our cold New Hampshire air gave an actual reading of 298 HP and 324 lb/ft.
If you really want to make cheap power move North.

Here's the graphs: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...&postcount=114

baseline: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...3&postcount=77
Old 11/3/06, 09:52 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by karman
If you really want to make cheap power move North.
You should get closer to 300 if you open up that air pump's exhaust a little. You have the IN, now you just need the OUT.

-----------------------------------

Bill, here's the tires you need with your "aggressive" negative camber:

http://www.nittotire.com/tires_neogen.asp

The first tires made for lowered vehicles with excessive negative camber! They have a different inside shoulder to reduce the amount of irregular treadwear.
Old 11/3/06, 10:25 PM

Bill, here's the tires you need with your "aggressive" negative camber...
I need some BFG tires. Nitto, Yokohama, and the rest sound too 'import' to go on a Mustang... just a personal thing I guess.

I'm not too concerned with the addt'l tire wear as a result of the -camber. Not only will it be minimal, but I won't see any appreciable wear until a few years down the road. In all honesty, I'll swap tires out by then.
Old 11/3/06, 10:29 PM
GTR Member

I need some BFG tires. Nitto, Yokohama, and the rest sound too 'import' to go on a Mustang... just a personal thing I guess.
You just need to get over that!

Many, many, many, many Mustang owners love there Nittos and Kumhos. Nothing wrong with them at all. (They aren't rice.)

And who cares if the wear will me minimal... you NEED those tires. What's a grand? I bet they are at least $250 a piece...
Old 11/4/06, 07:35 AM

You just need to get over that!
I can't.. I need therapy.

Many, many, many, many Mustang owners love there Nittos and Kumhos. Nothing wrong with them at all. (They aren't rice.)
Hey, I didn't say, "rice". I said, "import". Nor did I mention that they were inferior in any way.

If it weren't for Pirelli creating a US manufacturing facility, I'd feel the same way about them too.

I have the same dilemma with the DVD/NAV units, but all the cutting edge and reliable models are engineered in Japan. So, I guess I'll have to make exceptions to my rule.

I know, I have issues. (see top reply )

And who cares if the wear will me minimal... you NEED those tires. What's a grand? I bet they are at least $250 a piece...
A grand! $250 a piece??
Old 11/4/06, 07:56 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
You should get closer to 300 if you open up that air pump's exhaust a little. You have the IN, now you just need the OUT.
In this town, the quieter the exhaust the better. Look at how many times Dustin has been pulled over for other stuff. I would probably be looking more towards a lighter driveshaft.

My tuner said I would also pick up a couple HP without those big 18" wheels, but we agreed they look to good to change.
Old 11/4/06, 08:07 AM
GTR Member

Bill, you do have issues.

My tuner said I would also pick up a couple HP without those big 18" wheels, but we agreed they look to good to change.
20s are big... 18s are perfect! Yeah, you don't want to get rid of them!

In this town, the quieter the exhaust the better.
You should try these:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...mufflers.shtml

A little louder than stock (nothing obnoxious at all)... and will really open up that engine. You know the principle, I'm sure - the engine is basically a big air pump - you can't pull more air in unless you can get rid of it just as efficiently.
Old 11/4/06, 09:46 AM

Bill, you do have issues.
Thank you.

You should try these:
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...mufflers.shtml
A little louder than stock (nothing obnoxious at all)...
Edelbrock?
Until they come up with a good apology to the club... I'm boycotting.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)