General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 10/13/06, 08:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tom, love Mach 1 in the Shaker inlet. Kinda cool that you dont' notice it unless you're really paying attention. I wouldn't change a thing.
Old 10/13/06, 08:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Oh, and Leo I would take door number 2. more bling for your buck. The Saleen 1/4's just don't do it for me.
Old 10/13/06, 08:13 AM
GTR Member

So tell us how bad your wife yelled at you for using her oven as a paint curing booth.
She didn't even notice!

I'm not sure if the 3M idea will work for the long run. It would be pretty embarrassing if that emblem fell off and went skimming accross your hood in traffic.
I'm going to use some clear Permetex. That sucker won't go anywhere until I want to take it off (even then it might be difficult). And, it will look cleaner without the clips.

I received my QOOP posters in great (shipping) condition and everything looks good. I'll try and make it to Kinkos by the weekend. Tom, please post how your posters look on the foam backing.
Will take some soon. Glad they showed up in great condition.

I think Susan can use a set of those Borla Stingers... Maybe she'll barter something she has with you in exchange for the Stingers.
No comment on that one, but I am up for offers.

Pass. I thought of it at one point (like you are now), but came to my senses within a week.
Wouldn't look good on your scheme, I think it would on my car as a coupe.

Originally Posted by fxdwg2002
Tom, love Mach 1 in the Shaker inlet. Kinda cool that you dont' notice it unless you're really paying attention. I wouldn't change a thing.
Thanks! And welcome from Iraq! Well, I already painted them gloss black, but I'm sure they will look just as good (if not a hair better). I'll post pics along with my posters soon. I couldn't have anybody (read:Leo) think it said "Mach|1", ya know!
Old 10/13/06, 08:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
So tell us how bad your wife yelled at you for using her oven as a paint curing booth.
She didn't even notice!
She didn't? Give me her cell number.

I'm not sure if the 3M idea will work for the long run. It would be pretty embarrassing if that emblem fell off and went skimming accross your hood in traffic.
I'm going to use some clear Permetex. That sucker won't go anywhere until I want to take it off (even then it might be difficult). And, it will look cleaner without the clips.
What's Permetex? Double side tape or something?

I received my QOOP posters in great (shipping) condition and everything looks good. I'll try and make it to Kinkos by the weekend. Tom, please post how your posters look on the foam backing.
Any concern that O-Max didn't laminate the face of the QOOP poster to protect it from fingers, water, etc.?

I think Susan can use a set of those Borla Stingers... Maybe she'll barter something she has with you in exchange for the Stingers.
I'm just playing eBay, just getting the bidder and seller together for whatever.

Pass. I thought of it at one point (like you are now), but came to my senses within a week.
I have to agree, on a PW coupe/fastback (btw- which is correct? My club show app defines mine's as a fastback. ) it may look pretty good. On Black, not too sure.

Thanks! And welcome from Iraq!
+1
Old 10/13/06, 08:30 AM
GTR Member

She didn't even notice!
Sent you a PM... I dare you to call her. She would get a kick out of it.

Like RTV, but stronger... used in building engines.

Any concern that O-Max didn't laminate the face of the QOOP poster to protect it from fingers, water, etc.?
Well, I asked them not to laminate it cause I thought it would get too glossy. I'm not sure where to put that at a show... don't want to have too many things (posters). Maybe in the front seat (the top will be down).

I'm just playing eBay, just getting the bidder and seller together for whatever.
I see...

I have to agree, on a PW coupe/fastback (btw- which is correct? My club show app defines mine's as a fastback. ) it may look pretty good. On Black, not too sure.
Coupe is what Ford calls it, but it is modeled after a fastback.

+1
See, Leo, that's how it's done! Come back and chime in any time, Steve! Make it a daily stopping point... you'll have to check back at least daily to keep up! But you might be on a pretty tight schedule over there?
Old 10/13/06, 08:42 AM

She didn't even notice!
Sent you a PM... I dare you to call her. She would get a kick out of it.
Your wife will be calling you shortly.

Hope that stuff won't pull the scoop paint off when you decide to remove it for whatever reason.

Well, I asked them not to laminate it cause I thought it would get too glossy. I'm not sure where to put that at a show... don't want to have too many things (posters). Maybe in the front seat (the top will be down).
Front seat is a good idea.

I see...
No, I see!

Coupe is what Ford calls it, but it is modeled after a fastback.
I see...

+1
See, Leo, that's how it's done! Come back and chime in any time, Steve! Make it a daily stopping point... you'll have to check back at least daily to keep up! But you might be on a pretty tight schedule over there?
Let's ask Leo how busy he was over there.
Old 10/13/06, 08:49 AM
GTR Member

Hope that stuff won't pull the scoop paint off when you decide to remove it for whatever reason.
Can't see me wanting to take it off, but if it does pull of paint, I'll just touch it up! I'd be more concerned if, say, the 281 emblems pulled off paint. I still may use the thin 3M tape... there's as much chance of it flying off as the 281 emblems (probably even less because of the wind pushing on it when driving). You know as well as I do... that's some strong stuff!

(My wife said she got a phone call, but she was busy and couldn't answer it) I have to go! I have cars to clean! And pictures to take!
Old 10/13/06, 09:12 AM
GTR Member

Pictures of the posters: I think that's a good place to display it... it hides the mark on the air tube made my the inner trim ring.

Attachment 11604 Attachment 11605 Attachment 11608 Attachment 11609

The smaller one is ever so slightly bowed (might be because of the lamination?). I'll just put a heavy book on it tonight and it'll be fine.

Pictures of the emblem:

Attachment 11610 Attachment 11607

Like my texture? Being gloss still makes it hide, but when you see it, you KNOW that the rib is not part of the emblem. The guy did a good job hiding all the other ribs. (Any white marks on the emblem is just a glare from the sun. I just washed the car, so I still have to dry inside the engine compartment.) - It's amazing what I have to pre-point out for all the ****'s around here!

After thinking about it, yet again, I went ahead and used the clips. I don't know why I ever doubted them. You can barely see them, especially since I painted them gloss black on the ends to match the emblem and the rest of the clips flat black. And, so what if you see them? They're clips! So what? There's a big ol' ugly clip (clamp?) holding on the rubber tube to the radiator over-fill container (you can see it in the bottom left picture above). Talk about ugly. I may change that out for a black zip-tie.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn3957.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn3958.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn3963.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn3960.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn3961.jpg  

Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn3962.jpg  
Old 10/13/06, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Pictures of the posters: I think that's a good place to display it... it hides the mark on the air tube made my the inner trim ring.

Like my texture? Being gloss still makes it hides, but when you see it, you KNOW that the rib is not part of the emblem.
That's a great place to mount the poster. I may have mine mounted on a poster board and copy you.

Can you explain a few things how the posters are mounted?
Kevin's: Were both sides laminated first, then bonded to the board and trimmed to the edges of the laminate?

QOOP: Guess they just bonded it to the board, then was trimmed to fit or was it pre-fit prior to bonding?

Mach emblem looks fine, don't worry about it blending in or anything.
Just one question, what's a Mach 11?
Old 10/13/06, 09:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
fine, don't worry about it blending in or anything.
D A M N You Bill, you beat me to it
The posters and placement look great Tom.
Old 10/13/06, 10:06 AM
GTR Member

Kevin's: Were both sides laminated first, then bonded to the board and trimmed to the edges of the laminate?
When something is laminated, it goes though a machine and both sides are covered (like a BlockBuster card). I don't think you can laminate just one side. I don't know if its trimmed pre- or post-bonding.

QOOP: Guess they just bonded it to the board, then was trimmed to fit or was it pre-fit prior to bonding?
Yes, just bonded. But I don't know when it was trimmed.

Mach emblem looks fine, don't worry about it blending in or anything.
It's just right... between hidden and not blending with the rib.

One would have to be a ****ing moron to actually think that.

D A M N You Bill, you beat me to it
You ****ing moron.

Thanks! Not the emblem?
Old 10/13/06, 10:17 AM

Daryl, looks like we got someone's blood pumping this morning.
Old 10/13/06, 10:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks! Not the emblem?
For some reason that support bar just bugs the **** out of me. I love the Mach1 Emblem idea and it does look good, but what do I know, I'm just a F***ing moron
Old 10/13/06, 10:32 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
For some reason that support bar just bugs the **** out of me. I love the Mach1 Emblem idea and it does look good, but what do I know, I'm just a F***ing moron
I meant to put a after saying that, but I'm sure you knew I was kidding. You finally come back and I call you names!

Well, the emblem IS meant to be chrome and then you would never see that rib. For me, the "hiding" factor GREATLY out weighs the "rib" factor. Also, I forced a flash on the camera so everything could be seen - the rib isn't as noticable when it's not being lit up.

My two lawn guys were just hear looking at the cars. They didn't even notice the emblem at first (just the way I wanted it to be). When they did see it, they loved it. (They didn't think it said Mach 11, either! - like anything else, the pictures don't do it justice.) So far, that's 2 on the WOW list. BTW, they're coming back to mow tomorrow so they don't get any grass on the cars.

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Daryl, looks like we got someone's blood pumping this morning.
Nah, I'm not that sensitive.
Old 10/13/06, 10:40 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I meant to put a after saying that, but I'm sure you knew I was kidding. You finally come back and I call you names!
I knew it was a joke. Like I told Bill yesterday, I don't take life that seriously.
I am sure it is less noticable in person, but you know us **** people here.
And true, you would have to know absolutely nothing about cars to think it actually said Mach 11
Then again would you be at a CAR show if you didn't know anything about them.
Old 10/13/06, 10:47 AM

See how you are? (I didn't forget...)

... For me, the "hiding" factor GREATLY out weighs the "rib" factor. Also, I forced a flash on the camera so everything could be seen - the rib isn't as noticable when it's not being lit up.
No need to explain, it looks fine JUST THE WAY IT IS.

My two lawn guys were just hear looking at the cars. They didn't even notice the emblem at first (just the way I wanted it to be). When they did see it, they loved it. (They didn't think it said Mach 11, either!
They are Gardeners for Pete's sake! Not critical Mustang enthusiasts.
btw- Were they listening or looking?

Nah, I'm not that sensitive.
Only when you retain water...
Old 10/13/06, 10:54 AM
GTR Member

My two lawn guys were just hear looking at the cars. They didn't even notice the emblem at first (just the way I wanted it to be). When they did see it, they loved it. (They didn't think it said Mach 11, either!
They are Gardeners for Pete's sake! Not critical Mustang enthusiasts.

btw- Were they listening or looking?
Crap.

Old 10/13/06, 11:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Tom, Bill and Leo,
First off thanks for the welcome. Yeah we have pretty busy days and not so busy days. We should be getting outta here in about a week, but with the weather out here it might be kinda hard. Got a bunch of Thunderstorms running though here (Rain in Iraq...go figure!).

As far as the Mach 11 is concerned, are you able to trim back part of that fin and conceal it a little better?

I try and keep up with what's going on around here. Been getting a bunch of great ideas for when I get home. I've already spent money on new wheels (No Leo, I haven't forgotten about you) and new axle backs. I've already got my Xmas wishlist together.

Everytime I mention it to the wife I get one of these
Old 10/13/06, 11:08 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by fxdwg2002
As far as the Mach 11 is concerned, are you able to trim back part of that fin and conceal it a little better?
I definitely don't want to do that in case I ever wanted to take it off. I like it the way it is and I'll forward on any positive and/or negative comments I get tomorrow at the car show. Those last two attachments really look bad because of the flash. I should have taken one without the flash.
Old 10/13/06, 11:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I definitely don't want to do that in case I ever wanted to take it off. I like it the way it is and I'll forward on any positive and/or negative comments I get tomorrow at the car show. Those last two attachments really look bad because of the flash. I should have taken one without the flash.
Can you take one from just a little farther back, but with the sun shining toward the scoop from over your shoulder ??

I agree no trimming of the scoop

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)