General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 10/6/06, 10:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
That 91/93R is extremely 'snappy' at 3k RPM's in 2nd, I kid you not! It's like slingshotting out from the apex of a turn on a track.
I can't wait! Even though I'm going to go through the steps, first, starting with the 87P. How "dangerous" is the R really? Uncontrollable from a stop light like Doug suggests?
It's controllable. But, the throttle is more sensitive than the other 2 tunes, IMO.

Chirp 3rd with the sticky BFG's in stock tune form... I don't think so.
Finally, we agree...

Hey, I want to see you guys video! My luck may soon run out!
I was going to warn you! You don't want your car taken away from you just for peeling out. Over here we just get a ticket.
I think we just found a volunteer!
Old 10/6/06, 10:46 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That 91/93R is extremely 'snappy' at 3k RPM's in 2nd, I kid you not! It's like slingshotting out from the apex of a turn on a track.
I can't wait! Even though I'm going to go through the steps, first, starting with the 87P. How "dangerous" is the R really? Uncontrollable from a stop light like Doug suggests?
It's controllable. But, the throttle is more sensitive than the other 2 tunes, IMO.
Finally like a good ole' throttle cable!

Hey, I want to see you guys video! My luck may soon run out!
I was going to warn you! You don't want your car taken away from you just for peeling out. Over here we just get a ticket.
I think we just found a volunteer!
Crap.

Old 10/6/06, 10:58 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Before - - - - - - - - - Style One - - - - - - - Style Two
Attachment 10993Attachment 10994Attachment 10996
Not the greatest, but you get the idea.

QUIT talking about tunes.
You are making me want to get the SCTII and C&L CAI, **** that's like $740 from Doug or $675 from Brent
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn3678.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-test.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-test2.jpg  
Old 10/6/06, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
You are making me want to get the SCTII and C&L CAI, **** that's like $740 from Doug or $675 from Brent
Nice PS jobs! You're getting pretty good at it, Daryl.

Plunk down the extra cash and get it from Doug (when you're ready). Biggest selling point.. Brenspeed doesn't e-mail their tunes out or give you back-up copies (from what I've read here).
Old 10/6/06, 11:06 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Nice PS jobs! You're getting pretty good at it, Daryl.

Plunk down the extra cash and get it from Doug (when you're ready). Biggest selling point.. Brenspeed doesn't e-mail their tunes out or give you back-up copies (from what I've read here).
Yes, Leo will like the 3rd one. But, that may be hard to install & make look good. There are so many gaps to maintain and they all have to be the same distance from the trim ring to look good.

Remember how I had to trim mine because it was like a hair too close on one side? But it was SO noticeable.

Attachment 10997 Then fixed: Attachment 10998

I was going to say the same thing about going with Doug!

Just read through this:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...highlight=doug
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn3677b.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn3692.jpg  
Old 10/7/06, 03:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Before - - - - - - - - - Style One - - - - - - - Style Two
Attachment 10993Attachment 10994Attachment 10996
Not the greatest, but you get the idea.
Tom- I was responding earlier but left in a hurry to go see "employee of the month". I give a it was funny and entertaining.

Darly- Thanks. Your PS skills are awesome. I like number three the best. I don't want the gap between the trim ring and the vinyl or the powered by ford like Tom's though. Could you please make another one with those corrections???

Still have a 1/4 tank left before I can play with my 91tunes.
Old 10/7/06, 05:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I wonder if he would price match BrenSpeed
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Darly- Thanks. Your PS skills are awesome.
Thanks guys, but they really aren't that good Uhmm, Leo it's DarYl not DarLy
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
I like number three the best. I don't want the gap between the trim ring and the vinyl or the powered by ford like Tom's though.
Like this ?
Attachment 11005
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-test3.jpg  
Old 10/7/06, 07:53 AM
GTR Member

How much less is BrenSpeed?

Thanks guys, but they really aren't that good
They're pretty good!

Uhmm, Leo it's DarYl not DarLy
Same thing, just like vinly and vinyl.

Like this ?
Looks good, but re-read my comments above (even more so now).
Old 10/7/06, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Remember how I had to trim mine because it was like a hair too close on one side? But it was SO noticeable.
I bet if this was a factory installed option, that gap difference between the left and right (to the rear of the trim ring) would be within tolerance.

I didn't mention this before, but when looking at several GT500's at once (at the QMX), their front bumber vinyl stripe jobs are horrible! Factory decided to use 2 pieces (most likely to speed up production) and as a result, have an obvious overlap right at the forward part of the bumper that's uneven from each other, one had more than an 1/8" difference. And to boot, all 4 GT500's I looked at, all had inconsistant gaps.
It's a good thing I didn't inspect the stripes to the rear of the car; I'm sure I would've found more flaws.
Bottom line, totally unacceptable for a $50,000 car. If I were to get one (wait, let me check my bank acct... , nope, not yet), I'd have those vinyl stripes removed and pay $2500 and get them painted on, perfectly. Hey, what's another measley $2500 when the car's $50k?
Old 10/7/06, 08:07 AM

My title link works now!
Old 10/7/06, 08:12 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

The combo price is $675 Brent vs $749 Doug = $74 Difference.

Like this ?
If you are talking about all the curves and maintaining a constant gap, oh yea that looks like it would be a real PITA, it was just trying to do the Chop job. (Notice that at spots it looks really weird) One example of this is the sides of the trim ring they are not straight they are curved.
Old 10/7/06, 08:52 AM
GTR Member

I guess you did say that already a few posts back.

Like this ?
If you are talking about all the curves and maintaining a constant gap, oh yea that looks like it would be a real PITA, it was just trying to do the Chop job. (Notice that at spots it looks really weird) One example of this is the sides of the trim ring they are not straight they are curved.
That will be the problem. The pinstripe will have to be closer to the center part of the trim ring because of the curve.
Old 10/7/06, 09:04 AM

Think the SHR rear medallion in 'polished' (like my fuel door) would look good on my rear?

Attached Images  
Old 10/7/06, 09:08 AM
GTR Member

Think the SHR rear medallion in 'polished' (like my fuel door) would look good on my rear?
No, then it would like you had two fuel doors on your car.
Old 10/7/06, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
No, then it would like you had two fuel doors on your car.
Never thought of that... you may have just saved me $159 plus shipping.
Old 10/7/06, 09:43 AM

Can't hurt to ask.. I'd call him up versus e-mail though.
Old 10/7/06, 12:44 PM
GTR Member

Exclamation Tire Selection

This post gives everybody something to think about before buying replacement tires for either the stock rims or aftermarket rims. Since this may not happen this month, or even this year for some people, can you make this a bookmark on page 1, Daryl?

I have a habit of getting the best or close to the best when I buy things. I've learned in the past that you get what you pay for. But, when it comes to tires, the best isn't always the right choice. For somebody like Susan, she may want the best, because I just don't see her throwing the rear end of the car around in every turn.

I have great traction with the tires I bought, but when I finally get to try out the tunes, I'm sure I won't be able to slide the car around when "playing" as much with these sticky tires.

Here is the tire I have in a 255/45ZR18 99Y:

BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW

It's a freakin' great Summer tire with a Uniform Tire Quality Grading (UTQG) of 300 AA A and a Speed Rating of Y - 186 MPH. It's soft and grippy (the lower the number is in the UTQG, the softer the tire), and that's why there is no mileage warranty available for this tire.

However, if I could do it over again, I would highly consider these in a 255/45ZR18 99W:

Kumho ECSTA ASX

Kumho Tires are great tires and everybody I work with that owns a Mustang, Trans-Am, Camaro, etc. eventually goes to a Kumho for the quality and lower price tag. This is still a great All-Season tire with a UTQG of 420 AA A and a Speed Rating of W - 168 MPH. Also, it comes with a 30,000 mileage warranty. With the Kumho, I would still have great traction, but with the treadwear grade of 420 I'd be able to play around a lot more, too.

*WARNING* Scientific Content to follow: The 99Y and the 99W is the Service Description. The Z in the tire size says the tire has been tested to speeds in excess of 149 MPH. However, the Y and W in the Service Description says that the tire has been tested to a maximum speed of 186 MPH and 168 MPH, respectively. The 99 is the Load Index, and in this case 99 means a load carrying capability of 1709 lbs per tire. Also, if the 99Y is shown in parenthesis on the tire like (99Y), that means the tire has been tested to speeds in excess of it's maximum rated speed of 186 MPH!

If anybody else wants me to compare some tires for them for different sizes, I'll add them to this post for quick and easy reference in the future.
Old 10/7/06, 02:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks guys, but they really aren't that good Uhmm, Leo it's DarYl not DarLy
Like this ?
Attachment 11005
Good job. Looks akward though....Can you try one more thing? Black out color in the gap between the pinstripe and the center stripe and add a pinstripe around that area. I figure adding some vinyl around the entire trim ring might cut down on the akwardness.

Bill- +2 on what Tom said about the SHR rear emblem.
Old 10/7/06, 02:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Daryl-I think Doug would probably price match if you asked him. Look at it this way he can either make $675 or let you slip away and lose a customer to Brenspeed. If he says no just think that for an extra $74 you can have tunes emailed to you. Which is great if you decide to datalog your car while driving so that he can further tweak your tunes. Or another option is try finding a used C&L intake and then just get your tunes from Doug.
Old 10/7/06, 02:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Daryl- Found one for you. IT's the racer one though. Not sure if it matters to you. At $160 it's a great deal. I pm'ed him and asked to hold it for atleast a day figuring you'd be back on some time today. Just pm him to let him know if you want it or not.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...t=c%26l+intake

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)