General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 3/6/10, 06:46 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I will give that a try. Thanks for the info. So far I havent been having that good of luck due to going thru nothing but brokers and they wanted outrageous prices.
Old 3/6/10, 08:04 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
https://themustangsource.com/showpos...ostcount=34640

click it!
Old 3/6/10, 09:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That things a tank Brian! I would rather get what David's getting.

Congrats to both!
Old 3/6/10, 11:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by StangMahn
Congrats Dave, looks great

so what are your first mods ??
Old 3/7/10, 07:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Pretty sweet David!

I read your post and read the complaints/minor issues. Keep in mind that it's a 7 year old car that probably was a DD. So considering that, it's in pretty decent shape.

Is there a Mustang shop nearby? I was wondering if it may be a good idea to take it there for a thourough inspection (check for fluid leaks, worn components/bushings, cylinder leakdown test, etc..). I know you mentioned your Uncle will take a look, but a shop will have a lift plus the tools needed for a good once over.

Whatever the shop charges for this service, it will be worth it in the long run.

Originally Posted by habu
so what are your first mods ??
Congrats on finally getting the truck Brian!

So speaking of first mods, what's yours??
Old 3/7/10, 07:57 AM

Got a chance to do fix and a mod yesterday on the TR.

As some of my FB peeps already know, I finally was able to get my front door subs working again! Gary and I have been PM'ing back and forth on this issue and came up with bypassing that 5V regulator alltogether. Well, it worked like a charm, now I have the door subs back.

Down side at this point is I get the amp 'pop' thru the subs when the system turns on. Not really a big deal.
After some surfing on the net concerning this issue, I found wiring kits (like the Crutchfield one) that include a 1.5k resistor that gets soldered inline with the remote turn-on wire. So this is the route I'll go if I start to get sick of that pop noise; they're only like 99 cents at Radio Shack.
(Not really showing anything here, just my mess.)
Ponies on The Run (Again)-hu.jpg

Mod.. Got a chance to install the oil filler cap breather. After seeing Brian's and Leo's, mine seems to be a slightly revised breather. Not only is the filter oil red, but it fits much more snug with almost no play in that billet connector to camcover.
Now hopefully, no more residual oil to clean up.
Ponies on The Run (Again)-cfm.jpg
Old 3/7/10, 08:20 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
looks like a mess bill!

I'm going to take it to my mechanic to let him give it a thorough look over, and while it's up on the lift, I'll take a good look at it, and see what all the car has really had done to it.

First mods are going to be to replace a few things, mostly the cowl, it's broken on the drivers side in the corner. I'll also replace the headlights with the correct ones and the 3rd brake light needs to be replaced, some doofus painted a good bit of it, for no particular reason that I can see. And I need to replace the airfilter.

First real mod will probably be to get it retinted, the tint that's on it is purpling and bubbling, then I'm going to attempt to put on sequential taillights.

get ready bank account! here I come!
lol
Old 3/7/10, 08:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
Got a chance to do fix and a mod yesterday on the TR.

As some of my FB peeps already know, I finally was able to get my front door subs working again! Gary and I have been PM'ing back and forth on this issue and came up with bypassing that 5V regulator alltogether. Well, it worked like a charm, now I have the door subs back.

Down side at this point is I get the amp 'pop' thru the subs when the system turns on. Not really a big deal.
After some surfing on the net concerning this issue, I found wiring kits (like the Crutchfield one) that include a 1.5k resistor that gets soldered inline with the remote turn-on wire. So this is the route I'll go if I start to get sick of that pop noise; they're only like 99 cents at Radio Shack.
Bill, if you read this thread I posted a few years ago it has the info you need for the pop issue and the radio shack part number. If you have any questions let me know.

https://themustangsource.com/showthread.php?t=450830
Old 3/7/10, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Robbieg
Bill, if you read this thread I posted a few years ago it has the info you need for the pop issue and the radio shack part number. If you have any questions let me know.

https://themustangsource.com/showthread.php?t=450830
Robbie, that's the v-regulator I had installed back when I put the Alpine in. Sub amps never got the signal to turn on. Looking back, I wired it backwards.

In thinking ahead, I routed the remote turn-on wire near the driver's side sail panel so I don't have to hassle pulling the headunit out again. I think the 1.5k resistor idea will work just as good (seeing they include it in kits), plus be a lot easier to solder than messing with those PITA 3 prongs on the regulator.

I'll get to this later on. After messing with this project yesterday, I don't feel like tearing into it again any time soon.

Speaking of which, I'll have to revise the Alpine how-to.
Old 3/7/10, 09:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
Robbie, that's the v-regulator I had installed back when I put the Alpine in. Sub amps never got the signal to turn on. Looking back, I wired it backwards.

In thinking ahead, I routed the remote turn-on wire near the driver's side sail panel so I don't have to hassle pulling the headunit out again. I think the 1.5k resistor idea will work just as good (seeing they include it in kits), plus be a lot easier to solder than messing with those PITA 3 prongs on the regulator.

I'll get to this later on. After messing with this project yesterday, I don't feel like tearing into it again any time soon.

Speaking of which, I'll have to revise the Alpine how-to.
That was a good idea running it to the side panel, thats much better than pulling the head unit. And yes those little 3 prongs are a major PITA to solder!
Old 3/7/10, 09:25 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
It shouldn't after soldering need be touched but what about having something like this attached to the 3 pronger ?You have reached your maximum guest watch list limit of 10 items.
Please remove some items from your watch list in My eBay if you want to add more.
This item has been added to your guest watch list in My eBay.

Old 3/7/10, 09:49 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
It's a bummer you had to pull the deck Bill. I always dread pulling that thing out. With so many wires and little bxoes and RCA's and everything from teh stereo and all those sharp metal pieces behind the dash, I'm always worried something is gonna get stripped bare or something. Plus I had to put some washers behind the head unit to get it to set flush with teh black cover panel. Of course everytime I get in there I lose washers on teh carpet and bla bla bla.

Anyway. Congrats on getting some more bass/mid-bass back in the car.
Old 3/7/10, 09:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

it's what a 15 min top to pull a head unit out ! lazy's It'd help to listen to tunes while doing so but withpower off NOT going to happen.
Old 3/7/10, 12:58 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats David and Brian!

Looks like a nice starting point for a car you were looking for David! And a decent price too!

And that truck definitely brings back memories of my grandpa's truck! Looks like it'll be a fun project!

Bill, I hear ya on not wanting to tear back into the system so soon, but I'd do it now while you still remember how everything is wired up and you know it will take like half the time this time... At least that's how it always is for me! LOL! Get it done and over with... Then you can start working on the A/C...
Old 3/7/10, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Iceknyght
Bill, I hear ya on not wanting to tear back into the system so soon, but I'd do it now while you still remember how everything is wired up and you know it will take like half the time this time... At least that's how it always is for me! LOL! Get it done and over with... Then you can start working on the A/C...
Well, since I had nothing better to do today, I did it.

Went to Radio Shack and bought a 5-pack of 1.5k resistors for only 99 cents.

Had Chris give me hand and soldered in the resistor.

And like magic, the pop is gone.

As for the A/C..
Old 3/7/10, 08:31 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey I'll call Dave again for the AC.

My day started with attending the Toshiba PGA in Newport Beach. The CPK Catering kitchen was down there so I shot it! I looked for Tiger but he was a no show.

Next stop driving up Pacific Coast Hwy rolling into Huntington Beach man it was a beautiful day! I wish I drove the ROUSH, it was windy by the beach...

Saw this Surf Sailing dude having fun!

Then I stop by the Naval Weapons Station in Seal Beach. They commissioned a new cruiser got a few shots even if it was forbidden!

USS DEWEY (DDG-105)>

CLASS - BURKE Flight IIa As Built.
Displacement 8373 Tons (Full), Dimensions, 509' 5" (oa) x 66' 11" x 20' (Max)
Armament 1 x 5"/62 RF, Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile (ESSM), 96 VLS Cells,
2 SH-60B helicopters, 8 Harpoon Missiles, 6 x 12.75" TT.
Machinery, 100,000 SHP; 4 GE LM-2500 Gas Turbines, 2 screws
Speed, 30+ Knots, Range 4400 NM@ 20 Knots, Crew 370.
Operational and Building Data
Construction began May 2 2005 at Northrup Grumman.
Christened January 26 2008 at Pascagoula, MS.
Commissioned March 6 2010 at Naval Weapons Station, Seal Beach, Calif.

I was under the Stang Saturday and I welded my exhaust. I eliminated a vibration I was getting, gone now! Next week I think I'm going to paint my mufflers black. During this week I'm going to do the mask and prep. Muhahah!

Last edited by JedCranium; 3/7/10 at 09:05 PM.
Old 3/7/10, 09:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks for sharing the 105 pics Jed
Old 3/7/10, 09:26 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
Thanks for sharing the 105 pics Jed
You're welcome! I had the opportunity to board the USS Antietam (CG 54) when it was docked in San Diego, it's a bad azz ship it's a Ticonderoga class missile cruiser. I love WAR machines!

Old 3/8/10, 07:38 AM

I'm going to take it to my mechanic to let him give it a thorough look over, and while it's up on the lift, I'll take a good look at it, and see what all the car has really had done to it.
Keep us updated David on what happens.

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
it's what a 15 min top to pull a head unit out ! lazy's It'd help to listen to tunes while doing so but withpower off NOT going to happen.
I can probably pull the deck 8 mins flat.

Originally Posted by JedCranium
Hey I'll call Dave again for the AC.

My day started with attending the Toshiba PGA in Newport Beach. The CPK Catering kitchen was down there so I shot it! I looked for Tiger but he was a no show.

I was under the Stang Saturday and I welded my exhaust.
Yeah, my whole A/C problem has been a thorn in my side. Though I want to get it fixed, I really don't want to spend a stupid amount of money repairing it.

Was a nice day yesterday in SoCal!

No pics of the weld repair? Show us the beads!
Old 3/8/10, 08:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

funny how after a few times, pulling the deck now is sorta old-hat. I know I never, ever would have touched it before if not for Bill and everyone else's encouragement. Now it's not a problem at all ... .but with luck I won't have to do it again for some time.

Well my POS Ford stranded me yesterday and I found the gas, whoops I mean MASSIVE gas leak. Starting the engine and idling the gas FLOODS out of the top of the carb. I've seen some weird stuff with carbs before but never something like this. SOOoooo.... it's going to be 200 bucks to get a new one which is too bad really, but what can you do. She's a tough ol ***** to start and get running and hopefully a tune up will help. If not dropping in a BBF may have to happen faster than I wanted, ....

Hell I ain't spending money on the Mustang as much anymore, so why not, right ?

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)