General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 10/16/08, 07:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JedCranium
I might enter that show what the heck maybe 3 for 3? You guys want to go?
I'm not planning crap until I get the car back. But at worse, I can go as a spectator like Leo.

Originally Posted by JedCranium
Hey check out this link what do you think of this product?

MAGDEN>
Looks pretty cool... and expensive.

But do we need it? Probably not. There comes a point where we really don't need to monitor everything.
Old 10/16/08, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Saleen deal fell through. So looks like I'll be keeping the Vortech. In other news the following items from American Muscle are on the way.

What do you guys think should I switch to black bullits or keep the anthracite?
Hey Leo, don't get all bummed about the Saleen SC. It's not like the Vortech is a POS or anything, lots of guys would give their left nut for your setup.

In a matter of 2 weeks, Leo went from content with his NA car to FI with new wheels and rubber.

I know you don't like chrome, so with those 2 choices, I vote for the Black Bullits. It'll have a more sinister appearance on your black car... IMO.

On your rear tires, get the widest you can afford. If AM can't get the 555 wider ones, get the rear tires elsewhere.
Old 10/16/08, 09:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
I think you should go chrome bullitts. After having the factory polished units, I think you're going to miss a little bit 0' bling out there.
Not a fan of chrome. I had chrome bullits on my 04 and ended up regreting it. I felt they took attention away from the rest of the car plus they were a PITA to maintain. I already have to deal with a black car don't need the equivalence of it for my rims.

Originally Posted by NYNY53
Leo why have you not advertised the sale of the rims and tires here at TMS? I don't frequent the other forum so I can't see the pics you have posted lol

Just curious

Sorry to hear the Saleen option fell through, I always thought if I was to go blown it would be a Saleen setup. I really like Tom281 setup with his Saleen. I really like the look of the Saleen, very clean and a strong appearance.
Mainly because the majority of TMS is midwest or east coast guys and I'd rather avoid shipping.

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Hey Leo, don't get all bummed about the Saleen SC. It's not like the Vortech is a POS or anything, lots of guys would give their left nut for your setup.

In a matter of 2 weeks, Leo went from content with his NA car to FI with new wheels and rubber.

I know you don't like chrome, so with those 2 choices, I vote for the Black Bullits. It'll have a more sinister appearance on your black car... IMO.

On your rear tires, get the widest you can afford. If AM can't get the 555 wider ones, get the rear tires elsewhere.
I'm still excited about the Vortech it's just that the oppurtunity for a Saleen Supershaker was within reach.

Yeah I've been pretty bi-polar lately.

I like the idea of black to especially after seeing Dan's car. Only thing is I wonder if it will take away from the retro look I'm going for.

Called AM and said the biggest they've got available is 285. Nitto does make a 295 for the 555's. Tried looking for 305's and nobody makes one that's not a drag radial. So it looks like the biggest I can go is 295 since I don't want to drive on drag radials. (I'm sure Brian will agree that driving on DR's is akward.) Difference between both size's is I'd have about 3/4" more rubber on the road if you count both rears or both fronts together. I'll probably just stick with the 285's. The convenience of getting the rims and tires from AM is that they come mounted and balanced. It's almost not worth hassle of finding 295's somewhere else.

Last edited by LEO_06GT; 10/16/08 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10/16/08, 09:44 AM

Leo, sounds like you got it all figured out. So your wheels & tires setup will basically look like Brian's sans the Shelby center cap. Sound about right?
Old 10/16/08, 10:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Leo, sounds like you got it all figured out. So your wheels & tires setup will basically look like Brian's sans the Shelby center cap. Sound about right?
Pretty much. Mine will have a pony cap like the one below. The color of the anthracite or deepness of the dish may vary slightly but they should look identical from a distance.

Looking at pics on the forum of people with 285's and they still look small. For some reason this car makes big tires look unimpressive.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/bucecap.html
Old 10/16/08, 10:02 AM

update...

Made my final payment with Greg. Still waiting word on the new intake.

Darn rings from MMR cost $300!
Old 10/16/08, 10:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Made my final payment with Greg. Still waiting word on the new intake.

Darn rings from MMR cost $300!
Ouch! Good thing is it won't be long now.
Old 10/16/08, 10:13 AM

Looking at pics on the forum of people with 285's and they still look small. For some reason this car makes big tires look unimpressive.
Here's that comparison pic I posted a while back..

When compared to the stockers, the 285's are pretty impressive!

stock Pirelli 235/55/17 vs BFG KDW 255/35/20 and BFG KDW 285/30/20

Old 10/16/08, 10:17 AM

Ouch! Good thing is it won't be long now.
To think, the cost of my set of piston rings could have bought 2 deep dish Bullits.

Somethings not right here.
Old 10/16/08, 10:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry the Saleen fell through, the Vortech isn't anything to cry over either. You'll be happy with the Vortech.

Wow you're finally ditching the stock wheels. Black or Anthracite, that's a toss up I think they'd both look great ! Funny you talk about the 295, I think that when I need new rears 295s are what I'm going to get.

here are some pics from the last couple of days.

Old 10/16/08, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by habu
Where's all the babes on the beach?
Old 10/16/08, 10:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

http://www.americanmuscle.com/bucecap.html
I could never figure that out. On mine the 285s look small but when I take them off the car they're freaking huge

Where's all the babes on the beach?
This is the best I could do.

There was a he/she/it that we couldn't figure out what it was walking by twice and everytime we didn't have the camera ready. Since we were there during the week and not the weekend most of the people had left.

OK not a babe but our dog out havin a blast

Last edited by habu; 10/16/08 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10/16/08, 10:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Here's that comparison pic I posted a while back..

When compared to the stockers, the 285's are pretty impressive!

stock Pirelli 235/55/17 vs BFG KDW 255/35/20 and BFG KDW 285/30/20

Not saying the 285's are small it's just they look small once they're on the car.

Sorry the Saleen fell through, the Vortech isn't anything to cry over either. You'll be happy with the Vortech.

Wow you're finally ditching the stock wheels. Black or Anthracite, that's a toss up I think they'd both look great ! Funny you talk about the 295, I think that when I need new rears 295s are what I'm going to get.

Nice pics.

Crazy huh? I'd never thought I'd ditch them either. I tried my best to keep them but with the blower I dont think the 255's are going to cut it. The traction issues I had with the stock tires after the 4.10's and DS is what pushed me over the edge. What's the point in having all the hp if you can't get it to the ground right?

Are you considering the 295's because your having traction issues or because you just want a bigger tire?
Old 10/16/08, 10:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I could never figure that out. On mine the 285s look small but when I take them off the car they're freaking huge
IMO it's the rear bumpers on these cars. The bumpers on the new egde stangs hid the tires alot less.
Old 10/16/08, 10:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Black wheels on a black car is too much IMO....... and charcoal looks too much like stock IMO...... What about black chrome? That would look cool.
Old 10/16/08, 10:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

Not saying the 285's are small it's just they look small once they're on the car.

Nice pics.

Crazy huh? I'd never thought I'd ditch them either. I tried my best to keep them but with the blower I dont think the 255's are going to cut it. The traction issues I had with the stock tires after the 4.10's and DS is what pushed me over the edge. What's the point in having all the hp if you can't get it to the ground right?

Are you considering the 295's because your having traction issues or because you just want a bigger tire?
Well depends. Nothing wrong with a bigger tire. I have traction if I ease into 1st. If I do that and then nail it I pretty much get traction. Any additional rpms when I let out the clutch and traction is kaput. I'm usually slow in 1st then really get on it in 2nd & 3rd, it gets me through just about any situation

IMO it's the rear bumpers on these cars. The bumpers on the new egde stangs hid the tires alot less.
That's gotta be what it is.

Originally Posted by tom281
Black wheels on a black car is too much IMO....... and charcoal looks too much like stock IMO...... What about black chrome? That would look cool.
Not a bad idea at all

Forgot to add. +10 on Leo and not running DRs on the street. You can really feel the lack of a decent sidewall and they move way too much to feel comfortable, IMO. I like taking off/on ramps at a decent clip and there are twistys around my place, but normal street driving.... Nope it ain't for me. My .02

Last edited by habu; 10/16/08 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10/16/08, 11:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Anyone planning on attending? I'd like to go but not enter.
http://www.ocmustangclub.org/calenda...ier%202008.pdf
I think I might make this one but have not registered yet
Old 10/16/08, 01:09 PM

Leo, find a pic of a black stang with anthracite bullits? Just curious how the side profile would look.
Old 10/16/08, 01:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Leo, find a pic of a black stang with anthracite bullits? Just curious how the side profile would look.
Yeah but I got it on my laptop at home. I'll post it later.

BTW-The Bi-Polarness continues....Spoke with Adam for the first time today and asked him questions about all sorts of stuff. So anyways this is what the outcome of the conversation.

Going with KB BAP instead of GT500 pumps (Adam said it was a waste of money unless I plan on going over 500hp. Which I won't because I don't plan on getting forged internals anytime in the forseeable future.)

Getting guages installed same day. Going with a boost, WB A/F, and Engine/Coolant temp (He only runs boost and WB A/F but If I insisted on a third he recommended Coolant temp over fuel pressure.) He said all other guages were just more things to look at and stress about.

Since I don't want the engine to go boom and explained I didn't have the pockets for that situation he recommend I go no higher than 420rwhp. So regardless of what numbers he get's on the initial pulls I'll be staying at 420.

He warned me that more than likely my tranny would go at some point in time and told me to start budgeting for that.

He told me I'd lose 1psi with the intercooler but that it would obviously be made up for with the 3.33 pulley I got.

I am now 100% sure I'm going with ST.
Old 10/16/08, 01:45 PM

I am now 100% sure I'm going with ST.
Yeah right. There are DAYS between now and November 7th.

I'll be happy with 420 with my setup.. and that's without forking over $$ for an IC and pulley.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)