General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 10/2/08, 10:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TacoBill
btw Brian, I wouldn't trust the in-dash water temp gauge at all, it's basically an idiot gauge.
Also, my kaboom wasn't related at all of not having an IC, but rather the lack of the additional fuel pressure. At that point, even the knock sensors couldn't retard the timing enough.
to a point, yes it's an idiot gauge. However outside the "norm" operating temps it is accurate from what I've been told.

Yes true the lack of an IC did not kill your motor but detonation did. That detonation was lack of fuel. Detonation in any form is murder to our non-forged motors.
Old 10/2/08, 10:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JedCranium
I got a good deal on the ROUSH rims. I bought them on Ebay w/ tires for 2K. There's no way I would of bought then new I don't feel they are worth the price that ROUSH asks for.

Jed
Heck no, not at $500 a rim + tires. I'm strongly leaning towards the Redlines. I'll prolly call tirerack tomorrow to see if they fit the GT500. If they do, I think I might splurge

So I'm checking on the status of my brakes and they haven't moved in 2 days from where they were... Weird. Might as well find out whats going on with them tomorrow. Be awesome to get the rims and brakes at the same time for a big makeover.

After all these mods I'll have to bury my CC... Lol, its getting worked out recently
Old 10/2/08, 10:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey, just because you're hung like a moose, it doesn't mean you have to do ****.
Yes it does.

Originally Posted by JonCo
Heck no, not at $500 a rim + tires. I'm strongly leaning towards the Redlines. I'll prolly call tirerack tomorrow to see if they fit the GT500. If they do, I think I might splurge

So I'm checking on the status of my brakes and they haven't moved in 2 days from where they were... Weird. Might as well find out whats going on with them tomorrow. Be awesome to get the rims and brakes at the same time for a big makeover.
I've got some GT-500 rims and tires for sale.

Old 10/2/08, 10:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by JedCranium
I got a good deal on the ROUSH rims. I bought them on Ebay w/ tires for 2K. There's no way I would of bought then new I don't feel they are worth the price that ROUSH asks for.

Jed
Originally Posted by Ray Man
Yes it does.

I've got some GT-500 rims and tires for sale.

I actually thought about a set of those. I'm just to fixed on the looks of 20's. I wanted to actuallt drop to 18's but I don't know if I could get used to them. How much outta curiosity?
Old 10/2/08, 11:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I actually thought about a set of those. I'm just to fixed on the looks of 20's. I wanted to actuallt drop to 18's but I don't know if I could get used to them. How much outta curiosity?
I was trying to get close to what I paid for them but it looks like prices have fallen since I bought them. I 'd be happy with $1150.00 + shipping. They are basically mint with about 600 miles on them.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...&postcount=440

Last edited by Ray Man; 10/2/08 at 11:10 PM. Reason: added link to photos
Old 10/2/08, 11:59 PM
Cobra Member

Just got back from Irwindale...

9.2 was the best I could pull off

It was fun, no missed shifts. I really need to learn how to launch. Next time I run, I'll make sure it's in Barona. I need the Track junkie to show me the ropes
Old 10/3/08, 12:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by superfly s197

9.2 was the best I could pull off

It was fun, no missed shifts. I really need to learn how to launch. Next time I run, I'll make sure it's in Barona. I need the Track junkie to show me the ropes
That's not bad at all. Especially considering all you have is an O/R H and your doing the shifting yourself on your first stick shift car. Back when all I had was an intake and tune I was running 9.0 most the time with a few 8.9's here and there. I bet once you get the intake, tune, pulleys, and delete plates in you'll be running 8.7-8.8. Did Brian go to??
Old 10/3/08, 12:44 AM
Cobra Member

No sign of Brian. I kept forgetting to ask Taco for his number

Well, thanks. I feel a better about that time. I had fun today

8.7-8.8 will be my goal once I get the mods in. Go-mods FTW lol.

When is the next Barona trip?
Old 10/3/08, 12:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

No sign of Brian. I kept forgetting to ask Taco for his number

Well, thanks. I feel a better about that time. I had fun today

8.7-8.8 will be my goal once I get the mods in. Go-mods FTW lol.

When is the next Barona trip?
Right now it's looking like November. Probably won't go again until the Vortechs in.
Old 10/3/08, 12:54 AM
Cobra Member

Sounds good
Old 10/3/08, 07:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
What do you all think of the Shelby CS40 rims

.. looks too big pimpin' to me.

Sorry Jon, I have no input on that Q.

Originally Posted by habu
to a point, yes it's an idiot gauge. However outside the "norm" operating temps it is accurate from what I've been told.

Yes true the lack of an IC did not kill your motor but detonation did. That detonation was lack of fuel. Detonation in any form is murder to our non-forged motors.
The factory temp gauge is not accurate, it's only an indicator whether the engine is cold, warming up, 'normal', getting too hot, or ready to shut down. If you want 'accurate', there's no substitute for a real coolant tap water temp gauge. btw, our temp gauge isn't even monitoring the coolant temp at all, but rather the CHT.

True.. but to further clarify, it was the lack of fuel under boost which killed it. Under NA conditions, detonation is more forgiving. I haven't read of an instance where a NA motor blew because of detonation. Not saying it can't, but I haven't come across it.
Old 10/3/08, 07:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Glad you had fun Luis! How many runs did you get in?

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Right now it's looking like November. Probably won't go again until the Vortechs in.
Is November the last month for Barona?

So what did you decide about the IC?
Old 10/3/08, 08:02 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

.. looks too big pimpin' to me.

Sorry Jon, I have no input on that Q.
Yeah and way more expensive for the CS40. Redlines fit the budget, now to determine if they fit. I'll have to make some phone calls.
Old 10/3/08, 08:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Ray Man
I was trying to get close to what I paid for them but it looks like prices have fallen since I bought them. I 'd be happy with $1150.00 + shipping. They are basically mint with about 600 miles on them.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...&postcount=440
They look awesome. Prices for everything seem to be fluctuating
Old 10/3/08, 08:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Brian, no offense meant yesteray. You commented about your ET at the track, and the problem with either the driver, tune, or heat. With your car making the kind of power that it does, then I would think it's not a tune. Heat can be a major factor but I don't believe it would slow you down that much, I mean the car made a good amount of power on the dyno in high heat conditions too. So, yes I would believe it to be more of a driver thing which is exactly the same problem everybody has at first. The pansy comment was in sarcasm, all in fun, no harm meant-sorry.

To anyone else, as far as the whole show/go debate goes- if you have seen my car LOL I think you know that I'm a fan of both.....

JonCo, sorry don't have anything for you on big brake kits. I have the Rotorpros rotors and pads and am very happy with them for my application (aggressive street driving)..... thanks.
Old 10/3/08, 08:52 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Lookout Monica! Jed was polishing up his Jedi skills tonight!
JEDI LOL
Old 10/3/08, 09:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Did Brian go to??
+1 on what Leo said. Congrats, it will only get better. Did I go, no After all of that got a call from work changing the tires and after I was done fixing the problem at work I was in no mood to drive out to Irwindale for maybe on run.
[quote=superfly s197;5646976]
The factory temp gauge is not accurate, it's only an indicator whether the engine is cold, warming up, 'normal', getting too hot, or ready to shut down. If you want 'accurate', there's no substitute for a real coolant tap water temp gauge. btw, our temp gauge isn't even monitoring the coolant temp at all, but rather the CHT.

True.. but to further clarify, it was the lack of fuel under boost which killed it. Under NA conditions, detonation is more forgiving. I haven't read of an instance where a NA motor blew because of detonation. Not saying it can't, but I haven't come across it.
Duly noted.
Originally Posted by tom281
Brian, no offense meant yesteray. You commented about your ET at the track, and the problem with either the driver, tune, or heat. With your car making the kind of power that it does, then I would think it's not a tune. Heat can be a major factor but I don't believe it would slow you down that much, I mean the car made a good amount of power on the dyno in high heat conditions too. So, yes I would believe it to be more of a driver thing which is exactly the same problem everybody has at first. The pansy comment was in sarcasm, all in fun, no harm meant-sorry.
No offense taken. My comment was in jest as well. I am well aware that it's likely a driver problem, but am hopelessly optimistic that it could be something else. I also realize that I'm probably not driving it as hard as I could be. But one thing... I am launching at, to me, a HUGE RPM. That is just waaaaayyyy too much fun.

Speaking of making power under heat. The car did roughly 6-8 dyno pulls when it was tuned. FRPP tune was consistently at 440-445. The only reason that it was so many tunes was the X-Cal kept erasing the ECU and then promptly dying... having Adam to start over... and over and over. The last three were 470, 443 and then 455. The middle pull was another X-Cal Snafu... so heat isn't that bad I guess.
Old 10/3/08, 09:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I would bet that's your heat-loss right there- from 470 down to around 450.
Old 10/3/08, 09:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thank you for your order.

Old 10/3/08, 12:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Nice avatar Leo.....

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)