General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Old 9/12/08, 12:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by superfly s197
Yeah. I'm down. I'll try to keep up Is there anything I should bring? Prepare for?
To lose repeatedly.
Old 9/12/08, 12:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Brian- UCA install.
http://www.stangnet.com/Tech-Article...ll-080218.html
Old 9/12/08, 01:46 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
To lose repeatedly.
A*shole. I'm going to pop your tires now
Old 9/12/08, 04:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JonCo
So... I went to my shop got the boost/vac gauge fixed. After he dismantled the dash he realized it was just a bent connector in the gauge itself. So now we're in business. While I was there I decided to get dyno tuned. Results were... not what I was expecting.

378.8 rwhp @ 5400
383.2 ft/lb torque @ 4350

This was done on a Mustang Dyno.

Apparently I'm only seeing 7psi tops. He checked the entire system and everything else looks good. The previous tune I had was a mess. Car was jittery which is why I wanted to have it re-tuned by someone I trust, that other shop screwed me majorly. Anyways, the previous numbers were BS. Either a file copied and given to me to make me think I was getting something I was or something.

He says I'll need a smaller pulley to get the 10+ psi I'm after to get the power I want. Other then that he was kinda dissapointed in how low the numbers were. But what he did do was give me 35ft/lb of torque down much lower, so in theory the car feels MUCH faster. Pulls a lot harder then before and of course runs like a dream now. No hiccups or anything, smooth solid power band. I'm happy with the way its running now much more then before. I can finally enjoy all the money spent.

He mentioned the L/T's and intercooler affect psi numbers. Truth in this? Tom, what pulley size were you running with your set-up?
Glad to hear you go it ironed out. I'm sure it's a relief to have it running right. I wouldn't worry about the numbers to much, now that it's running right you can easily change out pulley and/or tune and get were you want to be
Old 9/12/08, 05:42 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Robbieg
Glad to hear you go it ironed out. I'm sure it's a relief to have it running right. I wouldn't worry about the numbers to much, now that it's running right you can easily change out pulley and/or tune and get were you want to be
Yeah exactly. I'm really excited to have the car running so much smoother now. Its like my shop was saying, its not about peak power but the entire power band. And he worked wonders with my power band to make it all feel faster quicker in the entire power band.

I may just jump in get a smaller pulley, new tune and *maybe* 3.73 gears and call it a day. Deff new pulley and tune. Might just order it this weekend or next.

I'll give Vortech a call to see what they think.
Old 9/12/08, 05:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I may just jump in get a smaller pulley, new tune and *maybe* 3.73 gears and call it a day. Deff new pulley and tune. Might just order it this weekend or next.
I know everybody says not to do it but I have 4.10's with the S/C and I love it.

I'm looking at suspension upgrades right now. I would like to get it to hook up a little better. I dont get any wheel hop so that's good but if I don't play it just right off the line I will spin all the way to 4th with little effort. I would like to be able to come off the line a little harder without breaking loose. I was looking at the BMR drag race rear package level 1. They have a level 2 but it looks like for the most part it just offers more adjustability and quite frankly I'm not sure I would know what to do with all those adjustments and be worse off

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/2005MustangPACKAGES.htm
Old 9/12/08, 05:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by habu
The only thing I need is a wake up call when Leo finally crosses the finish line. Handicap Smandicap

I literally just laughed out loud here at my desk..... that was friggin hilarious, hahhahaa

378.8 rwhp @ 5400
383.2 ft/lb torque @ 4350

This was done on a Mustang Dyno.

Apparently I'm only seeing 7psi tops. He checked the entire system and everything else looks good. He says I'll need a smaller pulley to get the 10+ psi I'm after to get the power I want.
He mentioned the L/T's and intercooler affect psi numbers. Truth in this? Tom, what pulley size were you running with your set-up?
Very weird to see a centri make the same or even more torque than HP..... doesn't seem right. Your boost psi is affected by many things including the 'cooler and long tubes. The cooler takes more psi to push through it, so if you start at 10psi you'll lose maybe 2psi or so. Longtubes increase your outgoing flow, therefore diminishing boost psi also. Remember though that although you're "losing" boost, you're gaining power by having a cooler intake charge (via the cooler) and again gaining power by reducing your exhaust restrictions (via the long tubes). That said, your HP numbers still seem low, however you said it is a Mustang dyno which personnnally I believe can run 10%-15% lower numbers than a DynoJet model depending on how it's set up.

To answer your question, I was running the 3.8" pulley on my non-cooled setup, and then when I added the 'cooler I went to a 3.33" pulley and only managed to see about 2 more psi, which makes sense because again the 'cooler "steals" some boost. But the car pulled much harder and ran much more consistently since the intake charge was always cool.

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Wish I was close enough to get in on this and kick both of your *****!

You're much closer to me...... bring it! Oh by the way, you should update your signature with some track times and maybe change those HP/TQ numbers at 10psi since soon you'll "only" be running 8.9 psi.
Old 9/12/08, 07:09 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by tom281
The cooler takes more psi to push through it, so if you start at 10psi you'll lose maybe 2psi or so.
So my 1.2 psi pressure drop through my intercooler isn't too bad, I guess?

Is that loss linear? or a percentage? With the 8.7 psi spring I'm using now, the boost goes right to 7.5 psi on the guage. With the spring that came in the wastegate, I actually only seemed to have a .8 psi drop. Both work out to a 14% loss. So, I'm wondering if I'll have a 1.4 psi drop with the 10.1 psi spring.

You're much closer to me...... bring it! Oh by the way, you should update your signature with some track times and maybe change those HP/TQ numbers at 10psi since soon you'll "only" be running 8.9 psi.
If the above is true, I'll only have 8.7 psi !!!
Old 9/12/08, 07:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

LOL I don't know Tom........ try it and find out I guess.
Old 9/12/08, 07:43 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
luis, your job is to get these races on video! "Handicap Smandicap" - rofl

I'd go, but I'd have to bring a Camaro with me...and I'd hate to smash you guys, though it's only setup for the 1/8 right now
Old 9/12/08, 07:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Jed- Nice pics! Love the beer and chicken wing pics!

Brian- Like Leo mentioned, the Shaker on Don's car fits, but just a little high for my taste. For that reason, I went with a centri setup.
Also, I think Greg will be re-locating my IAT sensor like you will be doing.

Jonathan- Numbers do seem low, but I have nothing to compare them too yet as mine may be even lower.

Luis- You heading back that night after the track?

Tom2- Here's my upcoming answer to not having a cooler.. Name:  water_alcohol_methanol_injection.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  46.4 KB
Old 9/12/08, 08:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Here's my upcoming answer to not having a cooler.. Attachment 63280
What, you can't drink the beer fast enough from the can you have to have an alcohol injector?
Old 9/12/08, 08:17 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tom281
literally just laughed out loud here at my desk..... that was friggin hilarious, hahhahaa
No problem, I'll be here all week. Make sure to tip the waitresses !!!!

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Jed- Nice pics! Love the beer and chicken wing pics!

Brian- Like Leo mentioned, the Shaker on Don's car fits, but just a little high for my taste. For that reason, I went with a centri setup.
Also, I think Greg will be re-locating my IAT sensor like you will be doing.

Jonathan- Numbers do seem low, but I have nothing to compare them too yet as mine may be even lower.

Luis- You heading back that night after the track?

Tom2- Here's my upcoming answer to not having a cooler..

Now you're talking Bill. Those two things will help you out dramatically.

Luis, don't do it. When I went to the Q and drove back that night it sucked. It was nice because no one at all was on the road but it still sucked.

Last edited by habu; 9/12/08 at 09:09 AM.
Old 9/12/08, 09:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Just remember Bill that you have to keep refilling that container...... and if you accidentally run out or spring a leak somewhere, your tune won't know it- but your engine will...... KABOOM.

Otherwise, meth is a cheap alternative to an actual 'cooler....... and will potentially provide cooler IATs when setup and functioning properly.
Old 9/12/08, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by habu
Now you're talking Bill. Those two things will help you out dramatically.
So the meth injection is acceptable to this tough 'kooler crowd?

It's priced just right at less than $400 (little more if upgrading to SS lines and fittings) and get this... uses windshield washer fluid (happens to be the perfect 50/50 water/meth mix)!
Picture that, some cool blue fluid in that tank!

But this will be a mod down the road, have to knock down the bill that's still on the climb.
Old 9/12/08, 09:38 AM

Just remember Bill that you have to keep refilling that container......
I think I can remember to keep an eye on it at least once a week.

Can read about it here.
Old 9/12/08, 09:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Oh I know all about it..... let me say that I don't have actual first hand experience (decided on the actual 'cooler, FWIW) but I've read a TON of info about it.

Look here too, they do alot with meth injection and are one of (IMO) the best shops around for S197s addicted to meth. http://alternativeauto.com/ They have a kit that is right up your alley.
Old 9/12/08, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the link Tom. Lots of good info there.

Here's one setup on a 06 with a Paxton 2200 HO. 40 rwhp increase, not too shabby.

Old 9/12/08, 09:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Looks like a cool kit...... Did you see the vortech specific setup at Alternative? Close to 500rwhp..... you could do that easily since you have forged internals!
Old 9/12/08, 10:06 AM

Looks like a cool kit...... Did you see the vortech specific setup at Alternative? Close to 500rwhp..... you could do that easily since you have forged internals!
I did! 12 psi pulley plus Meth..

Someone please whack me in the head for thinking such thoughts being in debt with this car!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)