General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 9/9/08, 07:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question... my boost/vac gauge is still not going into vac and rest only at 0 and up. Autometer sent me a new module for the boost/vac and it still doesn't read correct... They mentioned something about the guage may not be hooked up to a constant 12v so at ignition it sets vac when the car is on. Something to that effect?

Im going to the shop Thursday. Anyone else have any other ideas? Its annoying. Course nothing like what your going through Bill...
Old 9/9/08, 08:00 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by JonCo
question... my boost/vac gauge is still not going into vac and rest only at 0 and up. Autometer sent me a new module for the boost/vac and it still doesn't read correct... They mentioned something about the guage may not be hooked up to a constant 12v so at ignition it sets vac when the car is on. Something to that effect?

Im going to the shop Thursday. Anyone else have any other ideas? Its annoying. Course nothing like what your going through Bill...
This may be a simple idea... get a mechanical boost/vacuum gauge.

It has 1 plastic line that you tee into manifold vacuum (like the line running to the fuel pressure regulator).

You'll still have 2 wires to hook up, though... for the light!
Old 9/9/08, 08:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
So I take it your vac/boost gauge is electric? Mine is mechanical, so I can't help you there.
Old 9/9/08, 08:01 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
The Tacomobile is in the hands of RET as of this evening.

All we can do at this point is pray.
man, what's the deal today, don_w's back posting, and the troopers back! How's everything going Trooper? Your turbo strangeness just makes a supercharger more appealing to me, less parts in a Supercharger
Old 9/9/08, 08:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Yeah its electric. The shop who installed my kit said it was better then mech gauges which were dated technology. I just think now he made more money off the electrical gauges then the cheaper mech gauges. What's really the difference? I'm clueless really...
Old 9/9/08, 08:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 89Trooper
I turn and stop all day long! For almost 2 years now without a front swaybar.

I'll concede to this:

You don't need them... as long as you don't enter a road race...
Exactly....you dont NEED anything as long as you are willing to accept the trade off you get from not having it....like springs. You dont NEED springs....but boy, don't it feel better when they're in the car then when they're in the garage....

It's all a trade off.
Old 9/9/08, 08:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by StangMahn
man, what's the deal today, don_w's back posting, and the troopers back! How's everything going Trooper? Your turbo strangeness just makes a supercharger more appealing to me, less parts in a Supercharger

I dunno about that, I'd be tempted if I could do it all over again to go with a turbo set up.
Old 9/9/08, 08:06 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by StangMahn
Everything is going fine here... I'll try to check back more often! The turbo is still running strong...

The pressure loss in the intercooler can happen in a supercharger system, too... unless you don't have an intercooler, of course!

It all depends on the system, too... one could have a .5 psi loss, or even a 2 psi loss.

The spring change was surprisingly easy! 6 bolts off the wastegate and change the spring... maybe even easier than a pulley swap! I have to get under the car, though...
Old 9/9/08, 08:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
welcome back Tom. hows the hunt for a exhaust note ?, Ya know I ought to check my cabin filter

Hey Bill.... Figures 'bout RET. Just got off the phone w/Adam, he was outta town, and was trying to get you. Either way both are good guys. Was RET able to give you any type of initial indication of what the problem might be ??
Old 9/9/08, 08:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Well most electric gauges usually have a self calibration when they start up so if the 12v is not connected properly it might not be self calibrating properly which sounds like what Autometer was saying. Do you know if it has 2-12v wires, one for constant and one for a keyed switch of is it just one 12v lead?
Old 9/9/08, 08:09 PM
GTR Member

Yeah its electric. The shop who installed my kit said it was better then mech gauges which were dated technology. I just think now he made more money off the electrical gauges then the cheaper mech gauges. What's really the difference? I'm clueless really...
Don't know exactly how an electrical vacuum gauge works. But all you really need is something that sucks and blows on a gauge... and that's what a mechanical one does.

My mechanical AutoMeter gauge was dead on to the hi-tech boost gauge on the dyno... even surprised the dyno shop guys!
Old 9/9/08, 08:13 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by fabman
Exactly....you dont NEED anything as long as you are willing to accept the trade off you get from not having it....like springs. You dont NEED springs....but boy, don't it feel better when they're in the car then when they're in the garage....

It's all a trade off.
Nah... you need springs.

Actually, I need a swaybar less since I have lowered springs.

All kidding aside, my car sways MUCH less through hard turns with my Steeda springs and no front swaybar, than it did with the factory springs and front swaybar installed.

Daily driver = absolutely no need for a swaybar.
Road racing = definitely need a swaybar.

You'll never SWAY me on this topic!
Old 9/9/08, 08:16 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by habu
welcome back Tom. hows the hunt for a exhaust note ?
I ordered and installed the SpinTech mufflers. They sounded awesome when starting up and at idle... awesome when revving up... awesome when driving around town... awesome when driving 70 on the Turnpike... and totally crappy when going between 50 and 65.

There was an awful harmonic that sounded like it was ripping out my eardrums!

The Flowmasters were back on the next day!
Old 9/9/08, 08:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Robbieg
Well most electric gauges usually have a self calibration when they start up so if the 12v is not connected properly it might not be self calibrating properly which sounds like what Autometer was saying. Do you know if it has 2-12v wires, one for constant and one for a keyed switch of is it just one 12v lead?

I dont know if you all remember me mentioning the guages not working period at one point. The shop i went to corrected a nightmare of wiring, since then the boost/vac has been acting out of wack. I'm hoping there able to see a simple wire connection or something on Thursday... At this point I'd just spend the extra $80 and get a mech gauge and try the install myself...

Don't know exactly how an electrical vacuum gauge works. But all you really need is something that sucks and blows on a gauge... and that's what a mechanical one does.

My mechanical AutoMeter gauge was dead on to the hi-tech boost gauge on the dyno... even surprised the dyno shop guys!
If I have to I'll switch and call it quits on this electrical bussiness... Waste of $200.
Old 9/9/08, 08:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Nah... you need springs.

All kidding aside, my car sways MUCH less through hard turns with my Steeda springs and no front swaybar, than it did with the factory springs and front swaybar installed.

Finally I have more than an army of one.
Old 9/9/08, 08:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Just checked my air filter and it's amazingly clean. Took me about 5 minutes to remove and reinstall everything.
Old 9/9/08, 08:20 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Finally I have more than an army of one.
You always knew I was with ya!

Plus, the added weight of the Turbo was countered by getting rid of that rediculously heavy front mount!... right Leo?
Old 9/9/08, 08:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont know if you all remember me mentioning the guages not working period at one point. The shop i went to corrected a nightmare of wiring, since then the boost/vac has been acting out of wack. I'm hoping there able to see a simple wire connection or something on Thursday... At this point I'd just spend the extra $80 and get a mech gauge and try the install myself...
:
Yeah, I do remember now that you say that. I am on vacation this week and next week and I'm not doing anything, if you want some help looking at it I'll be happy to give you a hand, 2 heads are better than 1.
Old 9/9/08, 08:23 PM
GTR Member

If I have to I'll switch and call it quits on this electrical bussiness... Waste of $200.
You'll be much happier... I could see using newer technology for an Air/Fuel ratio meter, maybe... but not for a vacuum gauge. Sometimes simpler is better.
Old 9/9/08, 08:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Nah... you need springs.

There is a reason for that...the front roll couple of the stock sway bar and stock spring rate is quite low, with the stiffer after market springs your wheel rate went up even though the sway bar was disconnected....add to this that the center of gravity is now closer to the roll center of the car effectively shortening the moment arm against the roll center, your car will naturally roll less....it's simple geometry. It probably handles as good as you need it to for what you are doing....which is perfect in this case.

(Look back a few pages for a dissertation on roll couple)

Like I said, it's a trade off. It would certainly be much faster through the corners with the sway bar....but in this case, we've traded corner speed for....what, a few pounds right?

If you like it....then it's a good trade.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)