General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 9/8/08, 10:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tom281
Please, you've saved that much money in fuel costs by not driving your car for the last 5 months. That's chump change to you Californicans.

The Mustang probably gets the same mileage as the Taco!

chump change, ehhh..
Old 9/8/08, 11:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
OK maybe chump change was pushing it......... but I did laugh as I was typing out "Californicans". My wife is heading out to your guy's neck of the woods this weekend, to meet up with her mom and sister and then fly down to Mexico for a 5 day vacation. She just turned 28 and her sister's bday is coming up so the three of them are going to go celebrate.
Old 9/8/08, 11:07 AM

She just turned 28 and her sister's bday is coming up so the three of them are going to go celebrate.
Without you? How thoughtful!

Wait, or are you the one who'll be having a vacation?
Old 9/8/08, 11:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've decided to go through with my ghetto spare front skinnies idea. I've already got Dan's 17's sold so it looks like all I need to do now is wait for the spares to arrive and then go down to local tire discount and get the smallest tires I can fit on the rim. Hoping to have these in time for Barona on the 19th. It's looking like the experiment will cost me less than $100 out of pocket.

Dan's wheels have been passed around like a TJ hooker.
Old 9/8/08, 12:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey bill.... a dyno tune costs less than the Fluidyne radiator....

I can't seem to get rid of the ones I have.... One guy was '' this close to buying, shipped and all... but he had to back out. Took some more pics of them and hopefully I can pass them on to some one else like a debutante on prom night.
Old 9/8/08, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by habu

You're 100% right Brian!

Only thing is I already have it in and filled. Though I have new D-Specs and springs sitting in the garage that I can dump for cash if need be, but that's pretty desperate.

I called ST this morning, but Adam was busy doing something so I spoke with John (?) and explained what's going on. Without looking at the car, he's suspecting an air leak and/or tune issue. Waiting for a call back from Adam to check scheduling.
Old 9/8/08, 01:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Without you? How thoughtful!

Wait, or are you the one who'll be having a vacation?

Exactly........... on both counts.
Old 9/8/08, 01:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I can't seem to get rid of the ones I have.... One guy was '' this close to buying, shipped and all... but he had to back out. Took some more pics of them and hopefully I can pass them on to some one else like a debutante on prom night.
Ouch!!! That blows. I'm just waiting on the $$$ to arrive befor I ship them out. Guy doesn't have paypal so he's sending cold hard cash.
Old 9/8/08, 01:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

You're 100% right Brian!

Only thing is I already have it in and filled. Though I have new D-Specs and springs sitting in the garage that I can dump for cash if need be, but that's pretty desperate.

I called ST this morning, but Adam was busy doing something so I spoke with John (?) and explained what's going on. Without looking at the car, he's suspecting an air leak and/or tune issue. Waiting for a call back from Adam to check scheduling.
Dude, sorry I couldn't help myself, ya know ???

John is a good guy. He knows his stuff like Adam. Wonder what would cause an air leak ?? The tune should be pretty solid, but the stuff with the knock sensors has me wondering. Speaking as a man that has NO flipping idea.

Obvious method for he air leak is a can of carb cleaner and go over any pipe work and see if the idle changes. (another guess)
Old 9/8/08, 02:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by JedCranium
The Santa Margarita Show.

Great turn out today, Santa Margarita FORD in a nice dealership! I won 3rd place, it was a tuff category they placed all "signature Stangs" in one big CAT (Roush, Saleen). I'll post a few as a tease in my next post.

Jed
Wow Jed, you must have had some severe competition. Can't wait to see the other winners in your photos.
Old 9/8/08, 02:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
You're 100% right Brian!

Bill that would be great if its just an air leak. I think if it is an air leak it must be pretty small. The experiences I've had with air leaks on newer vehicles is that it starts stumbling just above idle. I've had a few times were a piece of piping or a filter would come loose and the vehicle would idle fine but the slightest throttle would cause it to stumble and die. Unless its very small I don't think you could have driven for 500 miles even very modestly without noticing the issue.

This is a long shot and I don't think it would explain why it wouldn't turn over right away but one time I was playing with the user programable settings on my sct tuner and I set the neutral rev limiter to like 2k or something like that. I didn't know but the computer wont recognize neutral and gears on a stick for that purpose. Well I pulled out of work on to the main road and wasn't I surprised, it fell flat on its face as soon as I got on the road, scared the crap out of me I thought I blew something up for a second. It had very similar symptoms to what you described and when I did get it restarted it blew smoke almost like it was flooded and had a raw fuel smell. I think maybe the S /C set up with the boost a pump allowed to much fuel to get in the cylinders between the time the computer gave the signal and it died. It's just a thought and not likely but you might want to make sure the neutral rev limiter isn't on and set to like 4500RPM.
Old 9/8/08, 03:07 PM

Obvious method for he air leak is a can of carb cleaner and go over any pipe work and see if the idle changes. (another guess)
Interesting idea. My luck, I'll spray it on my chrome camcovers and discolor them.

Originally Posted by Robbieg
... one time I was playing with the user programable settings on my sct tuner and I set the neutral rev limiter to like 2k or something like that.

... It's just a thought and not likely but you might want to make sure the neutral rev limiter isn't on and set to like 4500RPM.
I saw that menu option when scrolling through the Optional Parameter menu on the SCT.

So on a manual, what should the setting be for the neutral rev limiter?

I saw a bunch of other menu items like global spark, air/fuel, etc.. but was too chicken to start messing with them.
Old 9/8/08, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Man
you must have had some severe competition. Can't wait to see the other winners in your photos.
Heard that George, Danny, and Ashley showed up at the show too! And Jed was crying like he would be the only one there.
Old 9/8/08, 03:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Interesting idea. My luck, I'll spray it on my chrome camcovers and discolor them.

I saw that menu option when scrolling through the Optional Parameter menu on the SCT.

So on a manual, what should the setting be for the neutral rev limiter?
It should be set the same as your rev limiter, so if your limiter is set to 6400RPM you want the neutral to also be set at 6400RPM that way there is no conflict.
Old 9/8/08, 03:18 PM

It should be set the same as your rev limiter, so if your limiter is set to 6400RPM you want the neutral to also be set at 6400RPM that way there is no conflict.
Hmm.. I'll have to check that. Although it still doesn't explain why the bog when it's just cruising and why the plugs show such a lean condition.

I strongly suspect Gremlins running around in my motor.. them bastards.
Old 9/8/08, 03:19 PM

Leo, been following your Steeda sale. Whatcha going to do? Trade or sell them?
Old 9/8/08, 03:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Leo, been following your Steeda sale. Whatcha going to do? Trade or sell them?
Right now I'm leaning towards selling them outright. I just have to work it out with him and see if he's willing to wait until I get the BMR stuff so I don't have to uninstall and reinstall everything twice.
Old 9/8/08, 03:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

That is not necessarily true...... you can have them both set at different points, for different reasons. I used to keep my neutral setting at 4500rpm and the "drive" setting at 6800rpm. Why? So I could keep my rpm pretty constant near 4500rpm on launch....... then be able to shift comfortably at 6500rpm (via the shift light) and still have a window of 300rpm in case I was a little slow on the shift.

Hmm.. I'll have to check that. Although it still doesn't explain why the bog when it's just cruising and why the plugs show such a lean condition.

I strongly suspect Gremlins running around in my motor.. them bastards.
Bill, I've been researching MMR for a little while........ you will find many varying opinions on them. Some of which are good, some of which are very negative. Hopefully it's just a tune issue, specific to your compression ratio and application. Get it on the dyno, asap.
Old 9/8/08, 04:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

That is not necessarily true...... you can have them both set at different points, for different reasons. I used to keep my neutral setting at 4500rpm and the "drive" setting at 6800rpm. Why? So I could keep my rpm pretty constant near 4500rpm on launch....... then be able to shift comfortably at 6500rpm (via the shift light) and still have a window of 300rpm in case I was a little slow on the shift..
Tom, do you have an automatic or a Manual.
Old 9/8/08, 04:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Just sold my stock springs for a six pack of beer to DonW. I never thought I'd start trading parts for beer.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)