Search this Thread

Old 6/26/08, 09:07 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes and yes.
Old 6/26/08, 09:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

So you apple savoy people what are the new iphones improvements over the current iphone??
Old 6/26/08, 09:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JonCo
Robbie do you use those visor mounts to hold your radar? Why not upgrade to what me and Bill use. That billet mount off the rear view mirror? I purchased another one to use with my V1

I do use the visor mounts but I attach it on the trim for the headliner not on the visor itself so its tucked way up there out of site. I really like the one you and Bill have , I think its the best Ive seen but I like to have it out of site for theft reasons. If you were looking into the car to see if there was something to steal you would never notice mine.
Old 6/26/08, 09:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
So you apple savoy people what are the new iphones improvements over the current iphone??
The new iPhone has several improvements over the current model:

-3G Capabilities.

-Full GPS Support.

-Inclusion of the App Store.

-Improved Battery Life For Enhanced Talk/Video/Browsing/Standby Time.

-Exchange Support For Your Business.

-Audio Output Improvement.

-Slight Weight Reduction.

-Colored Backing (Black or White).

-Other Software Enhancements w/ iPhone 2.0 Software.
Old 6/26/08, 10:37 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by XxDevilR6xX
The new iPhone has several improvements over the current model:

-3G Capabilities.

-Full GPS Support.

-Inclusion of the App Store.

-Improved Battery Life For Enhanced Talk/Video/Browsing/Standby Time.

-Exchange Support For Your Business.

-Audio Output Improvement.

-Slight Weight Reduction.

-Colored Backing (Black or White).

-Other Software Enhancements w/ iPhone 2.0 Software.
I love apple, but not so sure about the new phone...
It will not have full GPS support, no turn-by-turn direction stuff. It'll do the google maps thing showing you where you are, but that's it.

All of the software updates, app store, exchange support, iPhone 2.0 software will be pushed to the iPhone 1.0.

The iPhone 2.0 will be more difficult to unlock and MUST be activated at a AT&T store, no getting an iPhone from the Apple Store and hacking it anymore. I've also understand that the 3G plan is $20 more per month.

I would by one but the 20 bucks per month increase and the not-so-full GPS support kinda drives me away.
Old 6/26/08, 10:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by habu
It will not have full GPS support, no turn-by-turn direction stuff. It'll do the google maps thing showing you where you are, but that's it.
Brian, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.

As we all know, the current generation iPhone does not have full GPS support as it uses Wi-Fi/Cellular triangulation methods to identify your position. However, the next generation 3G iPhone will in fact use a global positioning system which will include "Turn by Turn" tracking using the nearest satellites for accurate geo-positioning. In addition to the GPS system, the phone will retain it's ability to use Wi-Fi/Cellular tracking for use indoors and while out of satellite reach.

For additional information: iPhone GPS Capabilities

Last edited by TheDarkKnight; 6/26/08 at 10:58 AM.
Old 6/26/08, 11:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

IPhone - less for the phone but more money over all?!:

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2008/06...ne-costs-more/
Old 6/26/08, 11:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by superfly s197
Are you going to Cars & Coffee?
Nope.
It's going to be a long day already so I'll need my beauty sleep.

Originally Posted by Robbieg
I really like the one you and Bill have , I think its the best Ive seen but I like to have it out of site for theft reasons.
I like my mount too, but was kinda pricey.

However, the next generation 3G iPhone will in fact use a global positioning system which will include "Turn by Turn" tracking using the nearest satellites for accurate geo-positioning.
I just hope the tracking reception is 100x better than the current phone reception. Otherwise, you'll get lost in no time flat.

That's been my one and only complaint with the iPhone.. the sh*tty reception.
Old 6/26/08, 11:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

Brian, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.

As we all know, the current generation iPhone does not have full GPS support as it uses Wi-Fi/Cellular triangulation methods to identify your position. However, the next generation 3G iPhone will in fact use a global positioning system which will include "Turn by Turn" tracking using the nearest satellites for accurate geo-positioning. In addition to the GPS system, the phone will retain it's ability to use Wi-Fi/Cellular tracking for use indoors and while out of satellite reach.

For additional information: iPhone GPS Capabilities
So you're saying that Google Maps now will be able to tell me, vocally, that I need to turn at a specific street at a specific distance from the street ? or is google maps, the only one that is shown, just going to show you where you are ? Otherwise the current phone does the same thing. It lists where to turn but it doesn't tell me when to turn.

To me to have something running that tells me when I'm approaching a point in which to turn, merge, etc... is the point of the turn-by-turn available to most GPS units. The iPhone doesn't seem to come close to this. The phone would need to be powered up and not dimmed after x amount of time and certainly would not need to be "unlocked" to see the screen. Hands-off, turn-by-turn... I don't think they have it in iPhone 2.0 . Don't get me wrong, it's cool stuff and I gthink that it's all very usefull for a low-buck replacement for your Garmin/TomTom/Magellan, but it won't replace them.

Last edited by habu; 6/26/08 at 11:49 AM.
Old 6/26/08, 11:57 AM
Bullitt Member

So you're saying that Google Maps now will be able to tell me, vocally, that I need to turn at a specific street at a specific distance from the street ? or is google maps, the only one that is shown, just going to show you where you are ? Otherwise the current phone does the same thing. It lists where to turn but it doesn't tell me when to turn.

To me to have something running that tells me when I'm approaching a point in which to turn, merge, etc... is the point of the turn-by-turn available to most GPS units. The iPhone doesn't seem to come close to this. The phone would need to be powered up and not dimmed after x amount of time and certainly would not need to be "unlocked" to see the screen. Hands-off, turn-by-turn... I don't think they have it in iPhone 2.0 . Don't get me wrong, it's cool stuff and I gthink that it's all very usefull for a low-buck replacement for your Garmin/TomTom/Magellan, but it won't replace them.
I wasn't aware that you were comparing the iPhone's GPS capabilities to a navigation unit. Of course they are unequivocally different, but retain certain similarities. The iPhone's GPS system is simply designed for you to geographically assess your location via visual reference. It does not have the ability to vocalize directions like a GPS unit, but it's primary design is to be a phone, not a navigation device. The GPS function in the 3G iPhone will simply allow you to follow a precise tracking point along the maps within Google Maps. It's a nice addition to the iPhone and one casual navigation users like myself will certainly enjoy but it won't replace a full-fledged navigation unit for serious road travelers.

Last edited by TheDarkKnight; 6/26/08 at 12:03 PM.
Old 6/26/08, 12:00 PM
Bullitt Member

So is there a BBQ going on this weekend?

Last edited by TheDarkKnight; 6/26/08 at 12:02 PM.
Old 6/26/08, 01:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

I wasn't aware that you were comparing the iPhone's GPS capabilities to a navigation unit. Of course they are unequivocally different, but retain certain similarities. The iPhone's GPS system is simply designed for you to geographically assess your location via visual reference. It does not have the ability to vocalize directions like a GPS unit, but it's primary design is to be a phone, not a navigation device. The GPS function in the 3G iPhone will simply allow you to follow a precise tracking point along the maps within Google Maps. It's a nice addition to the iPhone and one casual navigation users like myself will certainly enjoy but it won't replace a full-fledged navigation unit for serious road travelers.
It's just when the sales-pitch, and I do love apple products, says it's turn-by-turn they are comparing themselves to full fledged GPS units. The iPhone just can't be that device. It comes awfully damned close. Close enough, but I flinch when I hear turn-by-turn. Ya know ? Having been in a couple cars that basically tell you where to go, turn etc I am spoiled as to what turn-by-turn can be. It likely clouds my otherwise sound judgement.

Still I'd buy it just for the goodies. If it wasn't 20 bucks more a month I'd sell my Gen I to some dude overseas for 500 bucks and buy the new one for 200... Then spend the 300 bucks on my car

So is there a BBQ going on this weekend?
Yep. BBQ at my place. Well my Mom&Dad's place. It'd get cramped in my 1-bdr apartment. PM me your email address and I can send you the invite. I have to take blame here for not sending it to you earlier.
Old 6/26/08, 01:41 PM
Bullitt Member

It's just when the sales-pitch, and I do love apple products, says it's turn-by-turn they are comparing themselves to full fledged GPS units. The iPhone just can't be that device. It comes awfully damned close. Close enough, but I flinch when I hear turn-by-turn. Ya know ? Having been in a couple cars that basically tell you where to go, turn etc I am spoiled as to what turn-by-turn can be. It likely clouds my otherwise sound judgement.
Absolutely, I entirely understand where you're coming from, turn by turn with vocal commands is definitely something I'd like to see in the iPhone someday. Who knows, with the App Store's endless possibilities, it's very possible to see a third party developer enhance the current GPS function to include this feature.
Old 6/26/08, 02:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Yep. BBQ at my place. Well my Mom&Dad's place.

GREAT! See you then!
Old 6/26/08, 02:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Ray Man
IPhone - less for the phone but more money over all?!:

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2008/06...ne-costs-more/

True it's a little more a month but that's to be exected based on the new features and 3G speed. I heard that Verizon may pick up IPHONE compatability down the road. CPK is going to test IPHONES for their Regional Directors soon. If that happens I'll be in like flint because we get a Corp discount from Verizon . The only drag is I would need to wait longer to see if this merger happens. I think I'll just bite the bullet and go for it I waited long enough

Ahhh the price of being a techno winnie

Luis C & C probably not this time.

Jed

Last edited by JedCranium; 6/26/08 at 02:37 PM.
Old 6/26/08, 03:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tom281
GREAT! See you then!
Cool! We get to see Tom's car in person!

Better leave tonight to avoid the traffic.
Old 6/26/08, 03:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

GREAT! See you then!
Come on down, everyone is welcome !!

Directions:
Click Here

It's only roughly 2200 miles, a day or two tops, you should be able to pull it off right ??

Old 6/26/08, 03:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
Cool! We get to see Tom's car in person!

Better leave tonight to avoid the traffic.

Directions:
Click Here

It's only roughly 2200 miles, a day or two tops, you should be able to pull it off right ??

Hhahaha, I wish guys. Ironically enough, my inlaws (father, mother, and sister) are arriving today from the Temecula area and staying WITH US in OUR HOUSE until the July 5th.

Man, do I wish I could make your BBQ.
Old 6/26/08, 03:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Hhahaha, I wish guys. Ironically enough, my inlaws (father, mother, and sister) are arriving today from the Temecula area and staying WITH US in OUR HOUSE until the July 5th.
Sorry
Old 6/26/08, 04:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Directions:
Click Here

It's basically a straight shot, I40 for 1200 miles. Do it!!!

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)