General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 11/19/08, 05:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Wow at that price I might need some billet LCA's.

Yup.
+1. I['m really tempted. I wonder how long that will be priced like that.
Old 11/19/08, 05:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Oh c'mon Bill just get into it...... gas prices are down, go for a long spirited drive and hammer it when you're almost home.
Old 11/19/08, 05:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Seriously isn't it better to open it up hard to help seat the rings. Just not to a high RPM. That’s what I thought. Ya nead to get that new tune and start throttling it a bit.
That’s what I did on break in and had good results. WOT up to about 3 to 4 grand on occasions.
Old 11/19/08, 06:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Bill Don't be a hero with your new toy lean on caution and keep the ears clean for the next while . You'll know when the time is right .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX-JeV37Uqw
Old 11/19/08, 06:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Who's this mystery man in the grey shirt carring a shopping bag ?
Old 11/19/08, 07:48 PM
Cobra R Member

IT'S MIKE!!!!!!!-- long post

Hey guys.....how are things going???? I just wanted to stop by and say hello, as it's been THREE MONTHS!!! since I last logged in , and that was just for a quick browse.

First, let me say that I'm sorry for what appeared to be dropping y'all (and TMS) like a bad habit. Y'all were like friends to me, and it wasn't my intent to just bail on y'all.

Next, I want to give my condolences to anyone that was affected by the passing of at least one member (I only read about Kyle) that frequented POTR . I don't mean to bring up the past, but I haven't had the chance to say it previously.

Now, let me tell y'all what's been going on with me (and what led me to stop frequenting the site): I finally graduated from grad school and am working full-time. So, now that I'm working full-time and can't surf the internet at work, I have less free time than I did as a full time student (go-figure, right---> who needs studying, I still graduated right ) So, I haven't been able to keep up with all the stuff happening in the mustang world / TMS anymore. Also, I bought a new(er) car that became my new research for mods / information / etc (just like mustangs), and that took a little bit of a priority over the stang (before you ask, it's a sport sedan, so no comparison to the stang ---> so, technically, I'm not cheating on the stang ).

Now, let me tell y'all what's been going on with the car: For those of you that didn't know, the mustang is technically shared between my dad and I. We bought the vert as a "joint venture" after selling our previous weekend drivers, and we each enjoy it in our own way. His is through just cruising around in the car, and mine is through modifying it and the mustang culture and such. I was (and still am) the one that actually has the mustang fever, if you will, and he likes it because of the thrill of driving it and how it's just a nice cruising vehicle.

Well, we've still got it, and we still enjoy driving it. The only mod we've done in over a year now is put on an aftermarket GT500 spoiler. Honestly, there's just nothing else we want to do with the car. We like it exactly as it is, and haven't seen much new in the aftermarket that's interesting (in our opinion). We're still on the fence about putting some dark charcoal racing stripes on the car (we'll probably sell the car before we come to an agreement on whether or not to do it), and we're probably going to purchase some Mid-west auto gear radiator cover extenders shortly (maybe I'll buy it for the holidays)

Also, I finally got my top COMPLETELY fixed. If you don't remember, my car was out for about SIX weeks to get the top replaced last november (1 yr ago). Long story about that, if you remember. Well, after I had gotten it back in December, I put the car up for a few months (we actually have a little bit of a winter here in VA). So, in April, I took it out of the garage to clean, and lowe and behold, there's water in the trunk So, I took it in to my local dealer at home (not the one that originally fixed the top), and it was determined that the drain plugs were blocked by the top fabric . Also, my driver's window was hitting the top and then bouncing back down. After some quick phone calls back and forth between the two dealerships, the car was fixed, and I haven't had any problems since (knock-wood).

Well, that's about it. I just wanted to check in with all my old POTR buddies, and apologize for just falling off the face of the earth. But, I will try to check in more when possible.

Take care,

-Mike

Last edited by mikes rx; 11/19/08 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11/19/08, 07:57 PM
Cobra R Member

And here's one:

POST 26268 . I know it's not a nice, even number (figuratively speaking), but I'm just amazed that POTR is still running with many of it's original members for so long.
Old 11/19/08, 08:41 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
hey mike!
Old 11/19/08, 08:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Welcome back stranger. Stop holding out on us and tell us what "sport sedan" you got yourself.
Old 11/19/08, 10:01 PM
NTTAWWT

G8 perhaps?
Old 11/19/08, 10:03 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
WRX or Lancer EVO?
Old 11/20/08, 12:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by officespace56
Do you have your dyno tuning session set up yet?
Not yet. I'm thinking sometime towards the end of December. With X-mas and everything, not sure how springing an extra $400 or so will go over.

Originally Posted by tom281
Oh c'mon Bill just get into it...... gas prices are down, go for a long spirited drive and hammer it when you're almost home.
I think I did a pretty good job breaking in this motor this time around. Like I mentioned, after changing oil, I do intend to push it a little harder.. maybe up to 4-5 psi, but not at WOT.

It's first WOT run will be on the dyno and I will video tape that event.

Hi Mike!
Old 11/20/08, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by GrnT
Seriously isn't it better to open it up hard to help seat the rings. Just not to a high RPM. That’s what I thought. Ya nead to get that new tune and start throttling it a bit.
That’s what I did on break in and had good results. WOT up to about 3 to 4 grand on occasions.
On a new motor, was told by several to keep the rpm's varying, but no full throttle.

On a new car, the motors are already 'broken' in at the engine factory before they even get dropped into the car. So, the break-in methods between me and a new car a little different.

But yeah, I agree, need to get the tune and open her up to see if she'll hold together.
Old 11/20/08, 01:29 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by NYNY53
Nice pics Jed and good snag on getting Jack to sign your car, kind of icing on the cake for you!

You da man
As the night progressed and even though the 2010 reveal was exciting. My mission changed to try to get Jack to sign my car. At one point when all the guest were signing autographs...John & Ashley Force, Carroll Shelby, etc. I approached Jack Roush from the back of the table when he had a little break. I asked him...Jack will you be sign cars this evening? He turned to his aid and said how may Roush's are out there? He said I think 9, then Jack said to his aid you organize it and I'll sign them. Then I turned to his aid, I think his name was Terry? And he said I don't know if Jack will have time to sign he has a flight out LAX. So I suggested how about if I move the car and park by the guest exit? He said ya that might work try to park by a bunch of Navigators. So off I went moved the ROUSH and waited out by the parking lost. About 25 minutes later I spotted Jack and I ran up to him and said hi Jack can you sign my ROUSH it's parked right over there. I could tell them was in a hurry, and his aid wasn't sure if it was going to happen. But Jack as I've heard from so many people, puts down him bags and followed me to the car. As we walked over to the ROUSH Jack mentioned to his aid "get a car", making me think he maybe Jack needs a lift to LAX. So being me I said Jack if you need a ride I take you, I'll get you there in 3 minutes! I was joking but serious too, no response from Jack. Next thing you know he's signing my car and then I had him sign a poster I made about a year ago for him to autograph last year. My car doesn't look like that anymore but what the heck! I thanked him for signing my car then Charlie got a hold of him, I looked back at Charlie and he had his wallet open showing Jack something in his wallet. Charlie was saying Jack I'm an REOA Memba! Jack... that’s great, then he signed his dash. Fantastic evening with funny stuff going on MEMBA! OMG!

Jed

The poster!

Charile's car getting sighned...MEMBA!

Old 11/20/08, 04:50 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Welcome back stranger. Stop holding out on us and tell us what "sport sedan" you got yourself.
Originally Posted by StangMahn
G8 perhaps?
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
WRX or Lancer EVO?
Hey y'all. Actually, I ended up buying a Lexus IS350. (but please don't consider me snooty now---> I bought it, as I call, "brand used" stock with low miles and about 1 yr old). And, it's actually a more "base" verison, with no HIDs and no nav. Basically, it just has the bigger engine. But, I do wish it had a Toyota emblem instead of their L-badge, because of the "looks" that some people give the L-badge company, but Toyota doesn't market a front engine, RWD sport sedan. Shoot, I wouldn't care what badge it has, I just like the car.

Originally Posted by TacoBill
I think I did a pretty good job breaking in this motor this time around. Like I mentioned, after changing oil, I do intend to push it a little harder.. maybe up to 4-5 psi, but not at WOT.

Hi Mike!
Hey Bill. Please don't tell me that you fried your engine AGAIN

Originally Posted by JedCranium

jed

Hey Jed, thanks for your help in choosing the correct Adobe Creative Suite product for me a few months ago. I've started reading some photography books and tried learning some Photoshop tricks. But, I figured I'd learn how to take better pictures first, so minimal editing would be required

Last edited by mikes rx; 11/20/08 at 04:52 AM.
Old 11/20/08, 05:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

On a new motor, was told by several to keep the rpm's varying, but no full throttle.

On a new car, the motors are already 'broken' in at the engine factory before they even get dropped into the car. So, the break-in methods between me and a new car a little different.

But yeah, I agree, need to get the tune and open her up to see if she'll hold together.

They tell you to take it easy just like the clutch manufacturers tell you to take it easy....... that way once you baby it for 500 miles, if it breaks the first time you get on it you get told "it's got 500 miles on it, it's used and not new anymore, so we can't warranty it"........ just go get on it, techno-man.
Old 11/20/08, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Hey Bill. Please don't tell me that you fried your engine AGAIN
LOOOONG story Mike. Let's just say that you didn't miss anything. Important part is all is on the up and up for me now, so I'm happy.

Originally Posted by tom281
They tell you to take it easy just like the clutch manufacturers tell you to take it easy....... that way once you baby it for 500 miles, if it breaks the first time you get on it you get told "it's got 500 miles on it, it's used and not new anymore, so we can't warranty it"........ just go get on it, techno-man.
Completely agree Indiana Jones-man.
Also a liability thing so you get used to the car before getting it sideways and wrapping it around a pole on the first test drive.

As George can back me up on this (Engines-A ), piston rings get broken in and seated within the first 5 minutes of it's life.

But, I feel better in my head taking it easy a tad longer than 5 minutes.
Old 11/20/08, 08:50 AM
NTTAWWT

IS350's are good cars
Old 11/20/08, 08:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Completely agree Indiana Jones-man.
Also a liability thing so you get used to the car before getting it sideways and wrapping it around a pole on the first test drive.

As George can back me up on this (Engines-A ), piston rings get broken in and seated within the first 5 minutes of it's life.

But, I feel better in my head taking it easy a tad longer than 5 minutes.
Yeah I know........ I talk tough but will do the same thing.

notice I said will, not would......

Originally Posted by StangMahn
IS350's are good cars
Heck yes they are, been looking at them lately.......
Old 11/20/08, 10:38 AM
Cobra Member

Hey guys need a favor from you all:

Long story short I've decided to keep the Mustang which is a good thing for me. I thought the medical issues would keep me from driving the clutch but my Dr tells me its good exercise and just keep on driving so I'm down with that.

The favor, when I thought I was going to dump the stang I got rid of all the mods I did so I want to get back a few of my mods and thus I'm on the lookout for a used set of FRPP Stingers (M-5230-5GT) Can you guys be on the lookout for me and let me know if you see any I could grab?

Thanks guys for any help you can provide

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)