General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Old 4/17/08, 08:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mikes rx
Out of curiosity, can a dealer tap into the ECU and find out what happened in the last minutes (ie- low oil pressure or something).

Kind of like a black box for airplanes.

edit: Reason for asking is that I still wonder if it was a complete fluke that it happened at the same time as the supercharger was installed.
I don't believe so. I think that when you upload a tune all it will show is that the battery was recently disconnected. I recall seeing that about tunes from Doug some time ago.

Driniking a couple for the Taco...

Last edited by habu; 4/17/08 at 08:26 PM.
Old 4/17/08, 08:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I don't know what to say either. Lots of ideas ran thru my mind on how all this happened. Too lean? But does that cause and engine to go poof?

I sent Brent (over at Brenspeed) an e-mail explaining the whole thing up to today's finding and he replied saying to get that BAP on asap, because of the power levels of this kit/tune, it needs it.
Obviously too late, but I thought if the car were to run lean, it would result in detonation and if sustained, can burn holes in pistons... not explode the rods and such.

Could be that things were ready to 'go' from all the rev limiter bounces and flogging I've done to it? Then, once a little boost was introduced, that was the straw that broke it?

This whole thing is full of question marks.

In the coming days, I'll be checking on prices for FRPP crate engines, rebuilds, Livernois short rolling block ($$$), etc.

It all boils down to money for me; economical (aka. cast) or forged. This is what I have to decide on first, then explore my options.
Old 4/17/08, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by habu
Driniking a couple for the Taco...

Thanks Brian!!

Going to have a drink or two (maybe 3) with Jed tonight!
Old 4/17/08, 08:38 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy S _ _ T!

OMG Bill sorry to hear the news from your latest update. I was thnking it would have been a clutch issue, I guess the better of two evil's but turns out this is not the case. I know this is a major set back; I know right now you need to think about your next step. Let's us know how we can help get TR terror back on the streets of Torrance!

Jed
Old 4/17/08, 08:59 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
Could be that things were ready to 'go' from all the rev limiter bounces and flogging I've done to it? Then, once a little boost was introduced, that was the straw that broke it?

In the coming days, I'll be checking on prices for FRPP crate engines, rebuilds, Livernois short rolling block ($$$), etc.
It all boils down to money for me; economical (aka. cast) or forged. This is what I have to decide on first, then explore my options.
Rev limiter bouncing and flogging we would all be in trouble.
They say every engine is a little different.
I guess it is true.
My heart and beers go out to you.
Old 4/17/08, 09:14 PM
GTR Member

I sent Brent (over at Brenspeed) an e-mail explaining the whole thing up to today's finding and he replied saying to get that BAP on asap, because of the power levels of this kit/tune, it needs it.
Obviously too late, but I thought if the car were to run lean, it would result in detonation and if sustained, can burn holes in pistons... not explode the rods and such.
Not having a BAP didn't do it. I'm sure the tune keeps the A/F ratio in check, and if I'm at 560/595 at the crank with the fuel pump at only 25% duty cycle, there is no way you were short on fuel. I don't mean to keep bringing up my numbers, but I'm just trying to prove a point. With these tunes, you can look at fuel levels across the RPM range... and they can add or subtract fuel by 5% or 10% just at a certain RPM, or for an RPM window.

If anybody should have broken the stock internals, it should have been me. I was playing with the boost controller and wound up at 13psi the other day at WOT in 3rd.

Something else happened, Bill... you may never find out exactly what. But, now you'll end up with a freakin' strong engine, I'm sure of that!

Last edited by 89Trooper; 4/17/08 at 09:21 PM.
Old 4/17/08, 09:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Doesn't the brenspeed tune take into consideration the BAP? Would not having mean your running into a shortage the tune's not taking into consideration? I dunno.

Man, I'm just really bummed for you Bill. I keep thinking about it all. man...
Old 4/17/08, 09:41 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by JonCo
Doesn't the brenspeed tune take into consideration the BAP? Would not having mean your running into a shortage the tune's not taking into consideration? I dunno.

Man, I'm just really bummed for you Bill. I keep thinking about it all. man...
I could see it if he left in the stock injectors. But the 39# injectors were installed. As the injectors are pulsed, the fuel pressure regulator will provide the needed fuel and the stock pump can handle up to 525 crank HP and beyond. The fuel is there, waiting to go into the fuel rail as needed by the tune.

If we tried 700 HP at the crank without a fuel pump upgrade of some sort, I could see it going lean from lack of fuel.
Old 4/17/08, 09:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry about your incident, Bill. My suggestion:
Old 4/17/08, 10:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

here's a few more options

New take out 4.6 3valve Pony GT Engine

2005/06 version 440 miles

$3195.00 * does not include EFI harness

ON SALE!!! $2695.00!
http://www.karkraft.com/new_&_used_engines.htm
Old 4/17/08, 10:15 PM
Bullitt Member

No kiddin' Bill, http://www.karkraft.com/new_&_used_engines.htm has quite a variety. Check it out.
Old 4/17/08, 11:56 PM
Cobra R Member

I was afraid of that Bill. You aren't alone. If you need any pointers, there's quite a few guys over on the Collective that have blown their engines as well. Many of them have decided to go the 5.4 route. Sorry about what happened but I hope you get her back up and running as soon as possible.
Old 4/18/08, 12:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Dang it Bill, that royaly sucks! I'm not really as much of an engine techie compared to you guys but what would make an engine with only 2000 miles fail?! It doesn't make sense to me.

My best wishes are with you. I know you will be back bigger and better though. Have strength my friend!
Old 4/18/08, 05:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
I would still lean towards the combination of missed shift under load and not having the BAP installed. After thinking about it, seems to me that the tune would certainly take into account that the BAP is in-line (which it wasn't) and this would cause it to go lean and possibly detonate. Long term lean issues will melt/burn holes; instant detonation will make parts fail instantly. That's my guess but either way, it sucks.

Bill you can always get a cheap take-out shortblock but really, if your block, heads, etc. aren't damaged, just swap in some forged pistons and rods (reuse your crank if not damaged) and you'll be good to go.
Old 4/18/08, 07:38 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
a GT500 engine (those are 5.4, right) would be awesome
Old 4/18/08, 07:46 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by StangMahn
a GT500 engine (those are 5.4, right) would be awesome
and they retail for about 15,000 bucks !

Last edited by blkstang06; 4/18/08 at 07:55 AM.
Old 4/18/08, 08:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks for everyone's support that you guys have given me, I really do appreciate it.

Engine oil shows catastrophic events took place within the engine. Shavings, pieces of what looks like piston rings, bolts, and pieces of debris have been recovered in the oil as well as fished out of the drain hole.

What can I say? This sux. I never got to drive the F'in thing to full boost.

So what's next for the Taco? I have no flippin idea at the moment. I put the starter back on (minus the negative cable), disconnected the negative battery lead, and covered her up. Now I need a drink to contemplate things.

I never thought this would happen especially during the dam test drive. That blows. Like everyone has said though the car will only be more badass when your done.

I'll buy a few beers on Sunday.

Last edited by LEO_06GT; 4/18/08 at 08:36 AM.
Old 4/18/08, 09:56 AM

Best quote I came across today while researching new short block options..

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...9&postcount=82

Ain't this the truth!
Old 4/18/08, 10:55 AM
GTR Member

Best quote I came across today while researching new short block options..

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...9&postcount=82

Ain't this the truth!
I'm happy with what I got... don't need more! That definitely applies to drag racers, though... always looking for more and more... or less and less (times).
Old 4/18/08, 11:09 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
I'm happy with what I got... don't need more! That definitely applies to drag racers, though... always looking for more and more... or less and less (times).
I'm talking power-wise. I'm always looking for that "different thing" when it comes to car shows.

Not much left to do, though...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)