General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 10/3/07, 01:27 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by philster2003
Get to work you two!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You first...
Besides, I'm leaving early to head over to Irving, TX in the morning.
Old 10/3/07, 02:14 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by pville piper
You first...
Besides, I'm leaving early to head over to Irving, TX in the morning.
Oh joy, lucky John gets to go to Dall-A$$, better you then me John
Old 10/3/07, 06:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Well...great news (sarcastically):

Drove the stang with the top down for a few hours this weekend, went to put the top up, and there were some "marks/indentations" in the top, which is nothing new. So, I figured that I would leave them and they would go away, which is also usual.

well, went to look at them today, and it left a small (~1/8") tear in the top. All this time, I've been reading about how the hinge mechanisms are causing tears in the top, but have always hoped that I would be lucky. Well, not so much.

My only luck is that the ford dealership here has been EXTREMELY nice to me regarding issues on my vehicles, so I don't expect to get any lip from them regarding this or that (let's hope).

My decision now: do I have them replace the top, which I don't really want done. and, if I do, do I get the cloth top if they allow it

I'm pretty ****ed about this. but oh well, it's not like I didn't know it was possible, and I knew that a top replacement would be needed eventually...I was just hoping it would be much later instead of sooner.
Old 10/3/07, 06:14 PM
Cobra R Member

also, I'm wondering if this will fix my squeaky top problem
Old 10/3/07, 06:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Mike, all very good questions for a vert owner, but I have no idea what to suggest for you.
Just seems that if it's defective (which it sounds like), get it replaced for free while it's still under warranty.
Old 10/3/07, 06:28 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Mike, all very good questions for a vert owner, but I have no idea what to suggest for you.
Just seems that if it's defective (which it sounds like), get it replaced for free while it's still under warranty.
It's been a known problem with members on this forum. I've known about it for quite awhile now, but have been hoping to press my luck and not have it happen to me.

With the dealer here, usually just showing them posts on this website is enough to get "common issues" fixed under warranty, whereas other dealers use the "it's not an issue" method.

also, this dealership, although small, seems to have heard of a lot more unusual problems as compared to some of the bigger dealers. So, the "I've never heard of that .. duh duh duh..." comments are avoided.

In terms of getting it replaced: I'm just going to get it done. I can't leave it the way it is. So, I'm probably going to just swing by the dealer tomorrow and let them look at it before I go in to work. I'm 99.8% sure it'll have to be ordered anyway.

Cloth vs. vinyl top: the cloth looks fancier, but also has other issues. Plus, technically, it's not correct for the year of the car. So, that will probably be a spur of the moment decision, if available
Old 10/3/07, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by mikes rx
In terms of getting it replaced: I'm just going to get it done. I can't leave it the way it is.

Cloth vs. vinyl top: the cloth looks fancier, but also has other issues. Plus, technically, it's not correct for the year of the car. So, that will probably be a spur of the moment decision, if available
I'd get it addressed asap too... good move.
Just hope that your new top won't have the same 'defect' as your current one.

As far as cloth vs vinyl, I'd probably choose what came stock on the car (vinyl). Not too sold on cloth, maybe I have to see (and feel) it in person.
Old 10/3/07, 06:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

IMO the cloth looks better. Might as well get it fixed now and get it over with.

New vid compliments of Bill.
http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e1...rrent=Leo2.flv
Old 10/3/07, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Nice Leo!

Here's my donut... gotta tighen it up a bit next time.

Old 10/3/07, 10:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO the cloth looks better. Might as well get it fixed now and get it over with.

we're gonna have to take lessons from him soon

Brilliant
Old 10/3/07, 10:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

In terms of getting it replaced: I'm just going to get it done. I can't leave it the way it is. So, I'm probably going to just swing by the dealer tomorrow and let them look at it before I go in to work. I'm 99.8% sure it'll have to be ordered anyway.
sorry to hear that it happened but it sounds like you've got a solid dealer so that is very good ! If you can get cloth then do it I guess. I haven't really seen too many with the tops up so it's hard to say which looks better.

Any way I hope the dealer treats you right. It's great when you can find a good dealer like that, they're few and far between.
Old 10/3/07, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by habu
we're gonna have to take lessons from him soon
Leo = Attachment 33902

Attached Images  
Old 10/3/07, 10:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice Leo!

Looks like another successful run at the secret proving ground!
Old 10/4/07, 05:55 AM
Cobra Member

Nice Leo!

Very nice Bill but Leo wins out with most tire smoke..........................

Leo looked like he was fogging for mosquitoes

We want more tire smoke Billster
Old 10/4/07, 07:31 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Those doughnuts were awesome. Big
Old 10/4/07, 05:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Well, some bad news regarding the top:

The dealership that I deal with here has not done a replacement top on a S197 stang before. And, the other dealership about 20 minutes in the other direction hasn't done one either.

So...now I have to call around to different service dept to see which ones have changed the top. I do NOT want to be their guinea pig.
Old 10/4/07, 07:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Good idea... don't be their R&D car.

Make sure you take detailed pix inside & out so that whenever it is installed and completed, if it's not how it was before you have proof. Trust me on this, I'm the original owner of a '92 GT vert that has a white top that after 12 years and 65k miles had a couple of stains.... no rips, just stains....so I thought I'd buy and have installed a new top. Well, for the most part it came out ok but the area near the top of the windshield is not the same as before and it bugs me to no end..... My options? Pay to have it redone again somewhere else.
Old 10/4/07, 08:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Good idea... don't be their R&D car.

Make sure you take detailed pix inside & out so that whenever it is installed and completed, if it's not how it was before you have proof. Trust me on this, I'm the original owner of a '92 GT vert that has a white top that after 12 years and 65k miles had a couple of stains.... no rips, just stains....so I thought I'd buy and have installed a new top. Well, for the most part it came out ok but the area near the top of the windshield is not the same as before and it bugs me to no end..... My options? Pay to have it redone again somewhere else.
Who on this forum doesn't have detailed pics of their car? Good point though, seriously.

Luckily, my car has warranty coverage past the new decade, so if something were to get installed wrong, back to be fixed it goes.

Right now, I'm actually just thinking of taking the car in, having them diagnose it as an "issue", and getting a small amount of sealer or something to temporarily fix the repair. That way, Ford has on record that I had a problem, and I can buy some time to get it fixed correctly. The last thing I need is an eternal leak.
Old 10/4/07, 09:21 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Bill, your car sounds AWESOME! The secret proving grounds have definately proved to make some good vid footage.
Old 10/4/07, 09:50 PM

Who on this forum doesn't have detailed pics of their car? Good point though, seriously.

Right now, I'm actually just thinking of taking the car in, having them diagnose it as an "issue", ...
Yeah, I've got a few pics of my car!

Good luck with the Dealer, hope they do what you want.

Originally Posted by StangMahn
Bill, your car sounds AWESOME! The secret proving grounds have definately proved to make some good vid footage.
Thanks David!

My proving ground allows our Mustangs to stretch their legs a little.
(Leo, Brian, and George can attest to that.)

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)