General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Old 5/12/07, 03:51 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by habu
it sounds like you're getting into the area where you might start chasing the drivetrain's weak link. After enough power there is always one somewhere. How are the u-joints & driveshaft ?? It's a bummer when you start busting those with frequency.
Brand new (relatively) aluminum driveshaft with HD U-joints. Rear-end is brand new, axles are HD and brand new. Transmission will be the next to go. But on a dyno, it's 1:1 and a straight shot through the transmission. I think it will handle the dyno a few times and after that it will be back to driving it around to car shows. As long as I don't put on slicks I think I'll be ok.

Thinking back, after I started finding more power, I no longer could floor it in 2nd gear at 45 MPH and break the tires loose. The clutch would slip enough until the power would start getting to the tires. So the clutch was "peeling out" and not the tires.
Old 5/12/07, 04:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Brand new (relatively) aluminum driveshaft with HD U-joints. Rear-end is brand new, axles are HD and brand new. Transmission will be the next to go. But on a dyno, it's 1:1 and a straight shot through the transmission. I think it will handle the dyno a few times and after that it will be back to driving it around to car shows. As long as I don't put on slicks I think I'll be ok.

Thinking back, after I started finding more power, I no longer could floor it in 2nd gear at 45 MPH and break the tires loose. The clutch would slip enough until the power would start getting to the tires. So the clutch was "peeling out" and not the tires.
Gee whiz, Tom, put the slicks on and a parts catcher underneath the car. That way you'll know for sure.
Old 5/12/07, 05:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installed my exhaust cutouts today. Being outside all day I got a few comments on the car. One dude said nice wheels, he thought the old bullits were too plain for the car. Another asked what year it was, a 67 or so, and was stunned when I told him it was an 05.

And a jerky cop pulled up and said "you should put a nice chevy engine in there" I told him no way, ford only. He drove off in his ford-powered crown vic

Got the pics up here: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?p=915264
Old 5/12/07, 07:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Glad you like the gears, Bill!

I broke down and bought that hoist. Only $149 for a 2 ton.

The clutch definitely was slipping, with no signs of oil:
Gears are awesome, Tom!
Because of the new ratio, I'm out of the drone rpm on the highway and I'm actually shifting into 4th in the city. Before, I rarely shifted above 3rd.

Leo couldn't make it down today, so his 4.10 demo will have to wait til a week or two. I think he's avoiding the test ride, because once he get's a taste of it, I can see at least 3.73's in his near future!

On your 89, man!, you sure didn't waste any time pulling the engine out.

That's a cool looking hoist too. Hopefully this new clutch that you're installing will put an end to this slipping issue. Then we can really see what kind of numbers she'll put down.

what does being subscribed to a thread do ?? I know I've subsribed to a couple but it really hasn't benefitted me in any way that I can tell.

Welp, I'm off to work on my pony. Magnaflows are coming off and the Stingers are going back on. Dad gives me a hard time about it all. It's only the fourth time I've messed with the exhaust. Good thing is someone local is buying the Magnaflows so I can get my SSE Ducktail !!
I subscribe to this thread. I get an e-mail anytime a new post has been added. Luckily, when it's a posting frenzy, it only sends me one notification.

Glad to hear you found a buyer for the Magnaflows. Did you already swap back in the Stingers? Hope the Magnaflow mid-pipes terminated (at least close to) where the OEM ones ended.

Originally Posted by Agent MOO
Installed my exhaust cutouts today.
Dang Ben! Did the whole mod out in the street, huh?

Now go shoot a video of what it sounds like running through the cutoffs.
Old 5/12/07, 07:16 PM

Chris and I shot some 'in-car' videos today.

The hammer has officially dropped.

Will post the vids soon.
Old 5/12/07, 09:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Because of the new ratio, I'm out of the drone rpm on the highway.

Bill, what is your RPM now at 60mph in 5th?
Old 5/12/07, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by matko
Because of the new ratio, I'm out of the drone rpm on the highway.

Bill, what is your RPM now at 60mph in 5th?
2000 rpm's.
Old 5/12/07, 11:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

W.T.F. ?? I had a pretty good post that I swear I submitted a couple of hours ago. I have no idea what happened. *good cough medicine* Vicadin is your(or my) pal...

Anywho.

Tom, glad to see that the clutch should solve your issue. With a clutch like that it should be putting serious power down. Dyno numbers should come way up.

Sold the Magnaflows and will most likely deliver them tomorrow. Which is good 'cause my baby's back. That sweet rumble of the stingers, did I ever miss that.

Bill, you are such a tease. I cannot wait to see the vid of you shredding the tires. Very glad to hear that you are happy with them.
Old 5/12/07, 11:37 PM

Bill, you are such a tease. I cannot wait to see the vid of you shredding the tires. Very glad to hear that you are happy with them.
For public release... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-aOhtdONHI

Sorry for the shakey capture, Chris had a heck of a time holding the camera steady during the acceleration takes.

At 3:05, the 1st gear roll from 20mph is unreal!

Note: I purposely didn't smoke the rears at launch, otherwise they would've spun well into 3rd.
Old 5/13/07, 09:00 AM
Cobra Member

Sold the Magnaflows and will most likely deliver them tomorrow. Which is good 'cause my baby's back. That sweet rumble of the stingers, did I ever miss that.
One good thing about my shifter install is the extra sound of the exhaust... I really love the sound... Now if I could just keep that and bet rid of the tranny and road noise!
Old 5/13/07, 11:38 AM
GTR Member

I took this piece of crap out this morning:

Attachment 25972

Look how small it is! It's leaking everywhere and the synchros are shot. I don't want to spend the money, but with the engine out it makes sense to replace it now.

I'm going to get a Ford Racing HD World Class T5. Everything, including the transmission, clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, tranny fluid, and a few other things will be right around $1800. Really not too bad. Can you imagine the cost if I had a shop do it??

I will get some of that back, because I'll put the used T5 on eBay. Somebody will buy it for a rebuild. Or, I could also spend the money for a rebuild kit... rebuild it... then sell it. Then I can learn how it all works inside.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn5621.jpg  
Old 5/13/07, 12:47 PM
GTR Member

Would you guys even consider this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MUSTA...16394946QQrdZ1

Ford Racing offers no warranty, and this place has a 12-month unlimited warranty. Also, all transmission are dyno-tested.

Is that $300 back from the $775?? That's only $475... $900 less than one from Summit!
Old 5/13/07, 01:05 PM
Bullitt Member

How many miles did it take you to kill that tranny?
Old 5/13/07, 01:15 PM
GTR Member

How many miles did it take you to kill that tranny?
That tranny has 120,000 miles on it, with probably a lot of abuse from the police.
Old 5/13/07, 01:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Bill-Awesome vid looks like I missed out on some fun

Tom-Your crazy I'd never be able to do something like that.

Brian-Glad to hear your feeling better.
Old 5/13/07, 02:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Bill, good job on that vid, the shaky cam is a good metric for measuring torque

I suck at video, check out my clips of the cutouts http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...3B18FCAC3EF481 I think it's time for a new setup, my digital camera is 2 megapixel for photo, and video is 12 seconds at 320x res, or 30 sec at 160x res... and if I want to go for the gold I can expect about 3 seconds in 640x480
Old 5/13/07, 09:54 PM

I took this piece of crap out this morning:
Dang, it sure was dirty.

Would you guys even consider this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MUSTA...16394946QQrdZ1

Ford Racing offers no warranty, and this place has a 12-month unlimited warranty. Also, all transmission are dyno-tested.

Is that $300 back from the $775?? That's only $475... $900 less than one from Summit!
Pass. I wouldn't even consider buying a refurb'd printer or iPod, let alone a complete transmission.
All of Ford Racing stuff doesn't have a warranty, not just the tranny's.

Since the 89 is your new money pit, may as well pull the trigger on a new one.

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Bill-Awesome vid looks like I missed out on some fun
Yeah, you missed out! When you come up in the next week or two, stop by for a ride. I gotta warn you though, the 3.73's or 4.10's will get bumped up on your future mods list.

Bill, good job on that vid, the shaky cam is a good metric for measuring torque

I suck at video, check out my clips of the cutouts
Thanks Ben.

I saw the vids. I expected the cutouts to be alot louder, must be the cats. Still, not too bad of a mod for the price. Just have to watch those bumps in the road.
Old 5/13/07, 10:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
I saw the vids. I expected the cutouts to be alot louder, must be the cats. Still, not too bad of a mod for the price. Just have to watch those bumps in the road.
The mic on my camera really didn't pick up the sound volume. The exhaust is really loud, more so than the stingers were.

I'm going to put in some heat shielding and point them further upward. I just hope those stupid U-clamps didn't pinch the pipes too much to rotate them. I'm looking at this stuff to put around the surrounding areas http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...429+115+310691
Old 5/13/07, 11:04 PM

Almost forgot to mention, I layed down 2 coats of Z-2 Pro w/ZFX this afternoon. It was alot of work out in the sun, but I got it done!

Now I'm good to go for the rest of the year. I'll only need to spritz it with some Z-6 Detail Spray before the upcoming shows.
Old 5/13/07, 11:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ok Bill, the cat is out of the bag. My so called "best" friend JedCranium (CPK Bill) showed me his new Roush yesterday at the Meet & Greet. He waited four months to tell me .

I should of seen the signs. This is for you .

I just couldn't figure out why a guy that didn't own a Mustang was so much more involved with them than I was .

Yesterday was a great get-together but I locked my keys in my trunk and was so distracted that I wasn't picking up on the clues he was giving me that it was his car (this is for me ). What a weird day.

We did our own cruise through Long Beach and Palos Verdes. Here's some photos:
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-1.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-2.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-3.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-4.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-5.jpg  

Ponies on The Run (Again)-6.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-7.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-8.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-9.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-10.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)