General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 5/10/07, 03:12 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bill, I looked at the pics you took and I swear I got as good of coverage as you did... I will get me some more sheets and add it in later I guess.
Old 5/10/07, 03:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pville piper
Bill, I looked at the pics you took and I swear I got as good of coverage as you did... I will get me some more sheets and add it in later I guess.
You're the second guy that's experiencing alot of 'outside' noise entering the cabin. He also said that he covered all the open areas. I think George sent him an extra sheet or two of the Dynamat. Theoretically, if the underside and topside are both sufficiently covered, you should have little noise entering the cabin. Maybe ensure that when Dynomatting the top, you tuck it under the shifter base/dust boot real good.

You also mentioned the tough centering springs. Do you know if your unit has the progressive springs? I have them in and moving the shifter side to side is fairly easy.
Old 5/10/07, 06:53 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Looks like they're offering a two-tone deal now.
http://www.mrt-direct.com/
Originally Posted by Boltzman
I wonder if Aeroform is gonna offer that? Mike,where are you?
Sorry guys, it's been a very hectic week for me things and I've been just too exhausted to post on the forums (except for a couple quick posts). I've been keeping up reading on this thread (more or less), but haven't really looked at any others.

Anyway, I believe that MRT ALWAYS had that available. It's through TMI (mustang upholstery.com)...it's the same people that did MRT's full interior, and it's the same company that did my headrests.

EDIT: I thought that TMI had those available before, but looking at TMI's website, they make no mention of it, so maybe not
Old 5/10/07, 07:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Boooooooooooooo!!!!!

Well looks like I'll be taking my stang to the dealership tomorrow for service. While I was under the car today i noticed that I've got the 06 Auto Tranny leak TSB. Here's some pics. Notice in the bottom two pics it looks like there's a small hole. Not sure if it's supposed to be that way.

-------------------
Also found out I'm going to have to trim my bumpstops. Here's some pics where you can see they're bottoming out.

Old 5/10/07, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Well looks like I'll be taking my stang to the dealership tomorrow for service. While I was under the car today i noticed that I've got the 06 Auto Tranny leak TSB. Here's some pics. Notice in the bottom two pics it looks like there's a small hole. Not sure if it's supposed to be that way.

-------------------
Also found out I'm going to have to trim my bumpstops. Here's some pics where you can see they're bottoming out.
Good luck at the Dealer, Leo. I dred the day I have to take mine in for something I can't handle. Everytime I think about those service techs, I keep thinking about those old Midas commercials where the monkeys are banging the tranny with baseball bats.

And Leo, you got some waterspots on the Ultralite springs.
Old 5/11/07, 05:16 AM
GTR Member

Notice in the bottom two pics it looks like there's a small hole. Not sure if it's supposed to be that way.
Yes, that hole is supposed to be there. There is even a gap like that on my '89's bellhousing. Not sure exactly why it's there, though.

Maybe you should cut that top section off like somebody told you to do before?
Old 5/11/07, 06:12 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Everytime I think about those service techs, I keep thinking about those old Midas commercials where the monkeys are banging the tranny with baseball bats.
Ah alwaze wunted ta fix a transmissyun.

Actually, I was quite surprised with my dealership when I took the car in for the rear axle groan, they fixed it in record time.
The one thing that kinda dissed me was the fact that I told them what it likely was and wanted to know if they had the part in stock. They didn't even bother to check and they acted like "Yeah, whatever buddy" on the phone. Yet when I dropped the car off they were well aware of the issue and knew what it needed.
Old 5/11/07, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
I haven't trimmed by b-stops yet. I can see that it has made contact with the frame, but I can't really feel with distinction when it does hit while driving.

Originally Posted by pville piper
... They didn't even bother to check and they acted like "Yeah, whatever buddy" on the phone. Yet when I dropped the car off they were well aware of the issue and knew what it needed.
Probably because 95% of the customer's who bring their cars in always give them their 'expert' opinion on what needs to be fixed.
Old 5/11/07, 08:00 AM
GTR Member

I haven't trimmed by b-stops yet. I can see that it has made contact with the frame, but I can't really feel with distinction when it does hit while driving.
You would if you drove it more. I'm not bringing that old thing up about you not driving your car... but if you drove it day in and day out, you would notice the times it hit more often.

After I cut the top third of mine off, I could really tell the difference with it not hitting any more over certain bumps.

With those cut down and the swaybar removed, it has really improved the overall driving quality with the lowered springs.
Old 5/11/07, 08:00 AM

Pics from C-17 carshow

From yesterday...

Hope this guys wasn't an Emission Compliance Inspector!

... just another fan.

Old 5/11/07, 09:50 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ahh a nice healthy lunch! Nice pics Bill.
Old 5/11/07, 10:15 AM
Cobra Member

Probably because 95% of the customer's who bring their cars in always give them their 'expert' opinion on what needs to be fixed.
Yeah, I know... I used to be an auto mechanic.

Still, it would have saved a trip if they didn't have it.
Old 5/11/07, 11:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Dammit Bill, now you've got me hungry for a vette. Did you hear, they raised horsepower to 430 for the base model for 2008? What d'ya say Tom, with our supplier discount, we could get one for around the price of a Shelby GT?
Old 5/11/07, 11:34 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by matko
Dammit Bill, now you've got me hungry for a vette. Did you hear, they raised horsepower to 430 for the base model for 2008? What d'ya say Tom, with our supplier discount, we could get one for around the price of a Shelby GT?
I'm more hungry for a hot dog, for some reason.

But, I'll check with some of my sources... maybe I can have one delivered right to the Tree of Life. I ordered $143,000 worth of parts today alone (for 1 attraction), so what's another $50,000 or $60,000?

What color?

Actually, I would rather procure two Challengers.

Hey, Mike, did we miss the auto show at EPCOT this year? If not, are we going to go again and try to get kicked out? We can peel out in some SSRs again, and spin out some Solstices...

EDIT: Post 3000!
Old 5/11/07, 12:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Super Long Post Alert!!!!!

Notice in the bottom two pics it looks like there's a small hole. Not sure if it's supposed to be that way.
Yes, that hole is supposed to be there. There is even a gap like that on my '89's bellhousing. Not sure exactly why it's there, though.

Thanks Tom. I didn't cut them before because I thought it was only a vert problem because of the added weight in the rear. Now that you mention it though I have noticed that over certain bumps it's bone jarring when the bumpstops touch.

Bill-Nice pics. Looks like you were in Chevy country. Why was that guy looking up your rear? Who's the chick??
-----------------------------------------
Well my car's back from the dealer. I took it in at 7 and they were done by 11. The problem according to the mech was that two of the tranny bolts were loose. He said he replaced the bolts and put a "special" sealant on them. He also topped of the tranny fluid to specs. He told me he's done a couple of these jobs and he hasn't had anyone come back with a leak. So hopefully I'll be one of those people.

BTW-The mech removed and reinstalled my O/R H without any complaints. I'll get under the car monday and make sure everything's tight. Although I don't expect any problems since the car sounded fine on the way home.
Old 5/11/07, 01:01 PM

Thanks Tom. I didn't cut them before because I thought it was only a vert problem because of the added weight in the rear.
Are you implying that Tom has a big.. nevermind.

Now that you mention it though I have noticed that over certain bumps it's bone jarring when the bumpstops touch.
What exactly is the purpose of these bumpstops? Are they there to protect certain parts of the suspension? Or perhaps to keep the tire from rubbing parts of the fender well?
By cutting the top 1/3 of the stop off, are other areas now being subjected to potential damage?

Why was that guy looking up your rear? Who's the chick??
Probably to check out my shiny new girdle!

She was just ooh & ahh'ing over the car, I just asked if she wanted to pose against it.

-----------------------------------------
He said he replaced the bolts and put a "special" sealant on them.
Probably used some good ol' boy spit mixed with chew on them threads.
Old 5/11/07, 01:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm fairly new to this thread... is there any actual topic here?
Old 5/11/07, 01:40 PM
GTR Member

Now that you mention it though I have noticed that over certain bumps it's bone jarring when the bumpstops touch.
What exactly is the purpose of these bumpstops? Are they there to protect certain parts of the suspension? Or perhaps to keep the tire from rubbing parts of the fender well?
By cutting the top 1/3 of the stop off, are other areas now being subjected to potential damage?
I measured the distance from where it would hit down to the bump stop (after I cut it)... and it's still the first thing that it hits. It was common practice in the older Mustangs that you would replace the bump stop with a shorter one so it wouldn't hit as much. Some kits even came with shorter bump stops.

Originally Posted by Agent MOO
I'm fairly new to this thread... is there any actual topic here?
Mustangs... usually!
Old 5/11/07, 01:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Mustangs... usually!

Well, now that that's settled..

I just got exhaust cutouts today; I'll be installing them tomorrow, weather permitting. I'll have much better quality pictures of the install, I took this one on my phone at work.

I've got Flowmasters on the way as daily drivers, and I'll uncork these when I want the pipes to scream! Planning on putting them right after the H so that the pressure difference isn't too drastic for the computer to handle.
Old 5/11/07, 01:55 PM

I measured the distance from where it would hit down to the bump stop (after I cut it)... and it's still the first thing that it hits. It was common practice in the older Mustangs that you would replace the bump stop with a shorter one so it wouldn't hit as much. Some kits even came with shorter bump stops.
Although it may be true, are you a 100 percent positive that nothing else rides, binds, preloads, over/hyper extends, etc. when the 2nd tier of the bumpstop contacts the frame?

Seems that the only way to tell is load the rear until the bumpstop makes contact, then have a look around.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)