General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 4/21/07, 08:30 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Tom, I am not gonna have time to swing by and meet you this trip... I am running late as it is. Unless tomorrow ends up being a short day, but I just don't see it happening. The Orlando job looks like it won't be happening till July sometime. Of coarse, I should have the shifter in by then.
BTW... Great price on the shotgun!
Old 4/21/07, 01:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Old 4/21/07, 02:35 PM
Cobra R Member

I ran the 6x8s in the rear when I still had the Shaker 500, prior to installing the head unit and amps. They did have some bass but not as much as they do now with the aftermarket amps. They highs were very nice almost too loud at times.

(Sorry Bill..gotta steal your color for this one)
That's what I remember from my kappa's. The highs were INCREDIBLE, but there was pretty much no bass.

The door subs are OK, but not enough for me. I would crank the Shaker up at times and the door subs would distort and not sound good. hat is another reason I went with an aftermarket sub.

I'm not big on bass...I don't like LOUD bass, nor do I like to FEEL the bass. I just like to hear it enough such that it complements the highs. With the kappa's, it seemed too low for even my liking.

In fact, the factory door subs on the shaker have a little too much "feel" to them for my liking. If I turn up the radio a little high (especially with the top down), there's too much bass and not enough highs. That's why I hoping that the Infinity's will be a good match...they will allow the highs to be clearer without requiring more volume, which will result in less bass from the door subs.

I know what y'all are thinking: just turn down the bass on the radio. I've done this, but I listen to a variety of music, so some songs have more bass than others, and I don't want to have to play with the radio all the time.

Can't confirm this, but it seemed there was bass coming from them just not a tremendous amount.

Technically, I mis-quoted the sales rep. He said that there was appeared to be a filter, and that only a minimal amount of bass went to the speakers.
Old 4/21/07, 02:36 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Alpine here. Never was a fan of Kenwood.
Alpine is OK now, but in the late 80's they were butt ugly! Huge buttons! I think that's what moved me over to Kenwood. Kenwood made some awesome stuff back then and it didn't look gaudy.

Now I wouldn't even care. If I wanted a new HU and it came down to a Kenwood or an Alpine I would get the one with the most features for the best price, but it wouldn't come down to brand name.
Old 4/21/07, 02:53 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Alpine is OK now, but in the late 80's they were butt ugly! Huge buttons! I think that's what moved me over to Kenwood. Kenwood made some awesome stuff back then and it didn't look gaudy.

Now I wouldn't even care. If I wanted a new HU and it came down to a Kenwood or an Alpine I would get the one with the most features for the best price, but it wouldn't come down to brand name.
I had an alpine in my 2000 stang. The main reason that I purchased it was that it had XM built in (didn't require a separate box). It was that, combined with the name recognition. I knew that Alpine was good quality and not low-end.

But, I will say that I did have a few problems with it. The first one that I had would occasionally reset for no reason, just while changing stations. Crutchfield happily sent me a new one, instead of requiring me to deal with a local Alpine-licensed repair shop (which is what Alpine wanted me to do).

The second one that Crutchfield sent me didn't have that issue, but would sometimes revert to channel 1 on XM when I switched from another source to XM. At first, I thought it was the same problem as my original one. But, I was happy to see that my presets and all were still set. So, I just lived with the problem. I figured just pressing my preset button would be easier than replacing the whole thing again.

Another thing was that the left buttons (the ones that are for power/source/channel seek) wore off kind of quickly (not completely, but close). Although, I am a constant channel changer, so that may have been more the result of my actions and less alpine's fault.

So, moral of story: To me, alpine h/u's are nice, but I probably wouldn't just buy one based off personal experience unless they have another unique feature. There are a few brands that i've had luck with or heard good things about (ie-kenwood and pioneer), and only a few that I wouldn't suggest.

For speakers: I've been told to STAY AWAY FROM SONY. Which is surprising, because they are one of the best for home electronics.

Either way: buy from Crutchfield. They provide great customer service, they try their best to make the customer happy, and provide a lot of free stuff
Old 4/21/07, 08:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 89Trooper
I don't care as much anymore either. Heck, I was tossing the idea around on getting the Pioneer or Eclipse. But, after seeing this new Alpine, this is the ONE baby!
Old 4/21/07, 09:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well the car's washed,polished,waxed and ready to roll. I spent a good 5 hours cleaning her she was in bad shape. Trunk's loaded, camera's charged now it's just a waiting game till morning.

Bill,Brian and anyone else from TMS I'll see you tomorrow.
Old 4/21/07, 11:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yep see you tomorrow. When you get your goodie bag or whatever it is, there is a Magnaflow pamplet and sticker, that was part of what I did today. Just out of curiosity let me know if there is a rubber band in there.

I have the Stingers in the truck as well. Hopefully the rain will stay away !!
Old 4/21/07, 11:34 PM

Just like Leo, I too was detailing today!

Difference was, he's getting ready for a show and I was just bored. So, I went off the deep end and decided to detail the undercarriage.

(For you, Daryl )

Old 4/21/07, 11:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Bill-Your crazy.

What do you guys think of this Shaker setup?? He cut the shroud off then placed weathstripping around the edge. Look very clean IMO. Only thing I might consider doing differently is leaving the "Mustang" sills. That way the fugly fuel rails would still be covered.

Old 4/22/07, 06:22 AM
Cobra R Member

Difference was, he's getting ready for a show and I was just bored. So, I went off the deep end and decided to detail the undercarriage.

(For you, Daryl )
Looks good bill, but you forgot to clean the wheels
Old 4/22/07, 07:03 AM
GTR Member

Hi, my name is Bill and I'm an addict.................
Old 4/22/07, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
What do you guys think of this Shaker setup??
When I first saw the top pic, I thought, "This can't be good! ".

But, it doesn't look bad at all. I'd like to see some daylight shots as well as how he mated the ends of the weatherstripping.

Going this route, you'll need some dressed up camcovers for sure.

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Looks good bill, but you forgot to clean the wheels
I did wipe down the inner rim, that was one of my primary objectives.

The only thing I thought about doing (but didn't), was to Z-16 the tire sidewalls. Like, who's gonna see that anyway, right?

Originally Posted by Boltzman
Hi, my name is Bill and I'm an addict.................

More like a nut.

I must say, it was quite facinating just laying under the car and looking at all the various components, many of which I had no clue what it was or does.
Old 4/22/07, 09:37 AM
GTR Member

That shaker does look good! Don't think I would do it to my car, but it looks more like the 03 and 04 Mach 1's.
Old 4/22/07, 12:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Looks great Bill. Please do mine!
Old 4/22/07, 03:24 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by pville piper
Hey Tom, I am not gonna have time to swing by and meet you this trip... I am running late as it is. Unless tomorrow ends up being a short day, but I just don't see it happening. The Orlando job looks like it won't be happening till July sometime. Of coarse, I should have the shifter in by then.
BTW... Great price on the shotgun!
Anytime!
Old 4/22/07, 03:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Bill,

Now you have to buy mirrors to put under your car for the next show.
Old 4/22/07, 05:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

With the advice of Bill and a couple others, I managed to install my racing stripes.

I tried my best. Boy was it tedious!
Whatcha think?
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-mustang-2007-079.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-mustang-2007-077.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-mustang-2007-074.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-mustang-2007-069.jpg  
Old 4/22/07, 06:05 PM
KdF
Bullitt Member

Looks Outstanding to me!

Old 4/22/07, 06:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by matko
Bill,

Now you have to buy mirrors to put under your car for the next show.
Yea Bill ..you need to drive your alil more Mine is a garage queen also , but I bet iIhave more miles than you

Btw It been the rain three times

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)