General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 4/6/07, 02:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TacoBill
I currently have my throw setting at 6 turns out, which is approx. 32% reduction in throw (from stock). Going by feel, it's just a tad longer throw compared to the Saleen adapter. I'd guess that at maybe 7 to 8 turns, it'll be like the Saleen throw distance.

As far as a performance comparison, gear engagement is a 100% better. When I had the Saleen in, shifting into 4th was always a PITA. Even had to the the 4 to R jump to get it into reverse most of the time. But now, every gear engages with authority.

The center return springs are pretty strong. George designed them this way on purpose. There's one post on the MGW thread where a woman doesn't like how strong the springs are. That's about the only complaint on the springs that I've rad so far. I for one, don't mind it at all.

Notchyness. Yes, it's present, but it's more of a positive lock, mechanical feel. Hard to describe, only that the notchyness is a good thing in this case. (Tom, you wouldn't like it)

My test drive was rather limited to a couple miles last night. I'm planning on taking it out this afternoon to take some vids of the shifting action. Stay tuned for it.

My write-up can be found here.

You're nutz!

It looks awesome to me. It's one of those things that you have to see in person (like my DG louvers).
I'd really like to see what it's like compared to the Hurst. It may not be as short but if it's smoother that'd be key, IMO.

The hurst ball looks great Don't mind tha hataz
Old 4/6/07, 02:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happy B day Tom!!!! let the beatings commence!!
Old 4/6/07, 02:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I currently have my throw setting at 6 turns out, which is approx. 32% reduction in throw (from stock). Going by feel, it's just a tad longer throw compared to the Saleen adapter. I'd guess that at maybe 7 to 8 turns, it'll be like the Saleen throw distance.

As far as a performance comparison, gear engagement is a 100% better. When I had the Saleen in, shifting into 4th was always a PITA. Even had to the the 4 to R jump to get it into reverse most of the time. But now, every gear engages with authority.

The center return springs are pretty strong. George designed them this way on purpose. There's one post on the MGW thread where a woman doesn't like how strong the springs are. That's about the only complaint on the springs that I've rad so far. I for one, don't mind it at all.

Notchyness. Yes, it's present, but it's more of a positive lock, mechanical feel. Hard to describe, only that the notchyness is a good thing in this case. (Tom, you wouldn't like it)

My test drive was rather limited to a couple miles last night. I'm planning on taking it out this afternoon to take some vids of the shifting action. Stay tuned for it.

Well like I said in the other thread....I'm sold on it. Now I have to go beg for money
Old 4/6/07, 02:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by habu
The hurst ball looks great Don't mind tha hataz
That's right! The Que Ball Brothers have got to stick together!

Originally Posted by fxdwg2002
Now I have to go beg for money
That's always the hardest part... getting a loan approved from the Bank of Wife.
Old 4/6/07, 03:00 PM
Bullitt Member

That's always the hardest part... getting a loan approved from the Bank of Wife.
The Funny thing is, that she thought I already bought one. I was telling her about the group buy and she said that it was fine then ....sooooooo. I noticed they don't have it for sale on the MGW site I wonder if the group buy price is still in effect? Guess I need to make some phone calls.
Old 4/6/07, 04:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
Oh Dear God, I am leaving that one alone.

Susan, remove the space between the last R in cheerleader and the :
Dirty minds -

I can't get to the code to remove the space. On my screen when I edit (even when I "go advanced" [no pun intended - hahaha] I see little peppy cheerleaders) I guess since we're on to the next page now, it doesn't matter so much anymore.
Old 4/6/07, 04:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
Mike-looks very nice,are you doing brake handle or did I miss that?(I know Leo will say"Remember sometimes less is more")
No. If you look at my e-brake handle, you will see that I placed a piece of sheet aluminum in the little groove. That's all I plan on doing to that piece.

I've never had a problem finding 4th .

But, let's get straight to the point: in your opinion, is it worth $300, or should I just keep the Saleen. (I think I'm going to keep the Saleen, but would like to hear what you think anyway)

And, Tom, happy birthday
Old 4/6/07, 06:34 PM
GTR Member

Thanks to the rest for the Birthday wishes!

When I had the Saleen in, shifting into 4th was always a PITA. Even had to the the 4 to R jump to get it into reverse most of the time.

Did the Saleen adapter make it hard to go into 4th and R because of that nut being too tight? You didn't have trouble finding 4th or R before the adapter, did you? Just asking because I don't have any trouble finding either.

I don't dislike notchyness. One last year-to-year comparison to show you my feelings. (Read this paragraph carefully and try to tell me it doesn't make 100% sense.) My '89's shifter is notchy and I love it - because it replaced an extremely crappy shifter. The '06's shifter, although I've never said it was perfect, is not extremely crappy - that's why I wouldn't enjoy the notchyness. I just don't feel I have to fix something that isn't broken.

Excellent write-up... as always!

Originally Posted by mikes rx
But, let's get straight to the point: in your opinion, is it worth $300, or should I just keep the Saleen. (I think I'm going to keep the Saleen, but would like to hear what you think anyway)
But, Bill... answer that in several ways. Is it worth $300 if...

a) you want to drag race and know you will be slamming gears.

b) the car is a daily driver and you aren't having any problems shifting with the stock shifter.

c) the car is a daily driver and you are having trouble shifting/finding gears with the stock shifter.

d) the car is a daily driver, you aren't having any problems, but would like the ability to adjust the throw.

Don't forget to add the notchyness into the equation:

a) in this case you wouldn't care at all about the notchyness and may like it to get more positive shifts.

b) this would be where the notchyness would be the least desired.

c) this person may also like the notchyness if it improved their shifting/finding gears problem.

d) this person may or may not like the notchyness, depending on how bad they wanted the adustability of the throw.

Taking these 4 scenarios (combining the two a's, b's, c's, and d's) should give a good perspective on whether it is worth the $300 or not. I'm sure there are other scenarios, but this gives a good range.

Old 4/6/07, 09:14 PM
Cobra Member

So Bill, you like the shifter? Mine should be here next week... can't wait!
Old 4/6/07, 09:49 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Do your wives make fun of you for spending time on the forum?? Just wondering cause my wife says "It's dorky but cute". She compares it to people who play Worlds of Warcraft or Dungeons and Dragons.
My wife made fun of me for the last time.
She got so fed up with me being on the computer SHE MOVED OUT!!!
Oh well, her old office space now is filling up with all the non-car stuff from the garage.
Old 4/6/07, 10:07 PM
Cobra Member

You know Tom, for guy who has spent as much money on his car as you have to draw the line at a shifter because you think that the $300 or so won't be a big enough bang for the buck seems funny. Now, I’m not trying to put you down or anything, or start an argument and you certainly are entitled to your opinions but lets face it, quite a few of your “performance†enhancements are of “dubious†nature. The shaker cost quite a bit more and while it looks great, how much horsepower did it really add? And what was so bad about your original battery that you had to buy an Optima battery? Did you get a big performance boost from it? I mean, using your argument that the stock shifter is better quality than the SN95 shifter (and it is) you have to ask why did you replace the stock rotors for the Rotorpros? The S197 has larger brakes standard than the SN95 and just how much better of a brake do you need for a daily driver? Speaking of a daily driver… Why do you need a race tune that requires 93 octane… The speed limit is what it is so why speed the extra money to get to 70 mph 2-3 tenths of a second faster. I mean let’s face it… S197 has 300 HP stock! That is over 40 HP more than the previously run in the GT. Isn’t the stock good enough? It is faster and more powerful that the previous generation and it handles better so why the springs? The why is easy of coarse, you, like me, Bill, Leo and just about everybody else that joins this forum are looking to improve his/her ride in one way or another and this shifter will be a significant improvement (my opinion). Like I said, I’m not trying to pick a fight with you but your arguments seem a little hollow to me.
It looks like I might be heading down that way in the next month or so and if I do maybe we can get together and you can test the shifter first hand.
BTW - HAPPY BIRTHDAY and have a great weekend Tom!
Old 4/6/07, 10:16 PM
GTR Member

I agree about the $300. thats not much considering the money we spend anyways.
Old 4/6/07, 10:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper

Taking these 4 scenarios (combining the two a's, b's, c's, and d's) should give a good perspective on whether it is worth the $300 or not. I'm sure there are other scenarios, but this gives a good range.
Or,...............instead of wasting all that brain power on various scenarios, drive a car that has a MGW shifter, then drive one that doesn't, then ask yourself.."Which would I rather drive?" If it's the one with the MGW shifter, it's worth the $300.
Old 4/6/07, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Did the Saleen adapter make it hard to go into 4th and R because of that nut being too tight? You didn't have trouble finding 4th or R before the adapter, did you? Just asking because I don't have any trouble finding either.

Excellent write-up... as always!
Yes, in my case, getting into 4th and R (we're talking with the Saleen adapter) was a bit difficult. And yes, it could have been from the link nut being on too tight. But, I was hesitant in loosening it any further. I probably had only 1 thread protruding past the plane of the nut, and for a link that's constantly moving everytime I shift, I was always a bit nervous that the nut might fall off. I think it's on the mind of everyone with the Saleen adapter.

Originally Posted by pville piper
So Bill, you like the shifter? Mine should be here next week... can't wait!
Yes, I think it's a great short throw shifter.

There's only a few components in a car where the driver really connects with the machine. The steering wheel and pedals are a couple examples, but I think the shifter offers one of the greatest connections (right up there with the Go pedal) you can have with the car. With that said, this MGW shifter makes it a drivers car!

... I’m not trying to pick a fight with you but your arguments seem a little hollow to me.
Old 4/7/07, 12:19 AM
Team Mustang Source

. Now, I’m not trying to put you down or anything, or start an argument and you certainly are entitled to your opinions but lets face it, quite a few of your “performance†enhancements are of “dubious†nature.
Man... you really need to go back a coupla pages and read some of the Tom & Bill exchanges. That's some fine reading material.
Old 4/7/07, 03:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

You know Tom, for guy who has spent as much money on his car as you have to draw the line at a shifter because you think that the $300 or so won't be a big enough bang for the buck seems funny. Now, I’m not trying to put you down or anything, or start an argument and you certainly are entitled to your opinions but lets face it, quite a few of your “performance†enhancements are of “dubious†nature. The shaker cost quite a bit more and while it looks great, how much horsepower did it really add? And what was so bad about your original battery that you had to buy an Optima battery? Did you get a big performance boost from it? I mean, using your argument that the stock shifter is better quality than the SN95 shifter (and it is) you have to ask why did you replace the stock rotors for the Rotorpros? The S197 has larger brakes standard than the SN95 and just how much better of a brake do you need for a daily driver? Speaking of a daily driver… Why do you need a race tune that requires 93 octane… The speed limit is what it is so why speed the extra money to get to 70 mph 2-3 tenths of a second faster. I mean let’s face it… S197 has 300 HP stock! That is over 40 HP more than the previously run in the GT. Isn’t the stock good enough? It is faster and more powerful that the previous generation and it handles better so why the springs? The why is easy of coarse, you, like me, Bill, Leo and just about everybody else that joins this forum are looking to improve his/her ride in one way or another and this shifter will be a significant improvement (my opinion). Like I said, I’m not trying to pick a fight with you but your arguments seem a little hollow to me.
It looks like I might be heading down that way in the next month or so and if I do maybe we can get together and you can test the shifter first hand.
OH SNAP!!!!

Well put. Better than Bill's or my rebuttles IMO.
Old 4/7/07, 06:55 AM

Another great find by Leo! I'm telling you, he must scour the internet looking for the latest new parts and accessories for our car. Thanks man!

I may have to pick up this black shifter ball. Attachment 23507

Depending on my mood, I'll have a choice on which ball to play with.
Attached Images  
Old 4/7/07, 07:05 AM
GTR Member

Not fighting back, but these are the why's.

The shaker cost quite a bit more and while it looks great, how much horsepower did it really add?
Worth it just for the looks and attention at car shows, whether it sucks cold air in or not.

And what was so bad about your original battery that you had to buy an Optima battery? Did you get a big performance boost from it?
The stock battery would die if the car sat for a week. The Optima battery was just laying in the garage from when I bought it a long time ago and just happened to fit.

I mean, using your argument that the stock shifter is better quality than the SN95 shifter (and it is) you have to ask why did you replace the stock rotors for the Rotorpros? The S197 has larger brakes standard than the SN95 and just how much better of a brake do you need for a daily driver?
Again... looks. At least you can see the rotors at a car show, and people do point them out.

Speaking of a daily driver… Why do you need a race tune that requires 93 octane… The speed limit is what it is so why speed the extra money to get to 70 mph 2-3 tenths of a second faster. I mean let’s face it… S197 has 300 HP stock! That is over 40 HP more than the previously run in the GT. Isn’t the stock good enough?
No, stock isn't good enough with the drive-by-wire lag. As far as using the 93 Octane Race Tune... Doug sent it for free, so why not use it? The throttle response is awesome. I drove Mike's car the other day with the stock tune and it wouldn't get out of it's own way (or at least felt that way after driving mine).

It is faster and more powerful that the previous generation and it handles better so why the springs?
Looks... I didn't change the springs to make the car handle better, I changed the springs to get rid of the 4x4 look.

I wasn't happy with the plain hood. I was going to get a scoop, but then the shaker club got started. I wasn't happy with how well you could see the plain rotors through the openings in the rims. I wan't happy with the battery being dead all the time. I wasn't happy with the lag in the tune. So I fixed all of the above. I'm not happy with the shifter - oh wait, I AM happy with the shifter... so why fix it?

Would definitely like to get together!

Thank you.

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Better than Bill's or my rebuttles IMO.
Not really. (Sorry, John.)

Going to honestly answer whether or not it is worth $300 for my 4 scenarios?

Originally Posted by matko
Or,...............instead of wasting all that brain power on various scenarios, drive a car that has a MGW shifter, then drive one that doesn't, then ask yourself.."Which would I rather drive?" If it's the one with the MGW shifter, it's worth the $300.
That's what happens when you have too much brain power - I have to use it somehow.

Buy it and install it... I'll be happy to drive it. If I can get your car to move.

I may have to pick up this black shifter ball.
Will look better and will go better with your interior - still a pain in the butt to drive with.
Old 4/7/07, 07:30 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by habu
Man... you really need to go back a coupla pages and read some of the Tom & Bill exchanges. That's some fine reading material.
I did... It was like a novel... That was my master’s thesis on their debate!

Tom, I get it now... If looks good, stick it on the car so people can point at it in a car show! I'll talk to George next week about upping the WOW factor just for you!

BTW... Is it still Tom against the world? I didn't get the memo!
Old 4/7/07, 07:32 AM
Cobra Member

Depending on my mood, I'll have a choice on which ball to play with.
Careful now Bill... :gay:

MGW shifter makes it a drivers car!
You realize you are leaving the barn door wiiiiiiiiiiddddddddddddeeeeeeeeeee open with ths comment...
I mean, like, how many miles do you have on the odometer?

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)