General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Old 4/5/07, 10:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
FYI-Bill should be done or close to done with his MGW shifter install. He called me a few hours ago to tell me he was halfway through.
Sneak peak..

Too late to shoot vids (got dark), but I'll plan on doing that tomorrow right after work. I'll have the write-up done sometime in the morning, but the vids I'll add in the evening.

Oh yeah, took it for a test drive right after the install. It feels... (you'll have to wait til tomorrow! )

Old 4/5/07, 10:44 PM

Do your wives make fun of you for spending time on the forum?? Just wondering cause my wife says "It's dorky but cute". She compares it to people who play Worlds of Warcraft or Dungeons and Dragons.
Nope, she just ignores me.

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Would any of you buy a used camshaft?
Not me, but should be okay. However minimal, the roller tappets do mate to the cam lobes. But, here's the rule of thumb..

Used cam with same used tappets mated to each lobe for re-use:

Used cam with same used tappets not matched:

Used cam with new tappets:

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Here are pics.
Looks great, Mike!
Old 4/5/07, 10:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TacoBill
Not me, but should be okay. However minimal, the roller tappets do mate to the cam lobes. But, here's the rule of thumb..

Maybe it's just me, but I could never put any used engine internal part into an engine that I cared about. You should be able to put a used cam into an engine but you really should use new lifters.
But I wouldn't put a used piece into my engine.
Old 4/5/07, 11:25 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All true for solid, non-roller lifters, but none of that is really true with a camshaft designed to be used with hydraulic roller lifters - there really isn't any mating going on between the rollers and the lobes as there is practically no friction. You don't even have to use break in lube when you install the cam (just a light coat of oil) and you don't have to break in the cam for 20 minutes at 2000 RPM, either! When I installed this cam I used the stock roller lifters and don't even know which positions they came out of. For solid, non-hydraulic lifters there is definitely mating going on.

Originally Posted by habu
Maybe it's just me, but I could never put any used engine internal part into an engine that I cared about. You should be able to put a used cam into an engine but you really should use new lifters.
But I wouldn't put a used piece into my engine.
The reason I was asking is because I bet we'll all be amazed at how high the bidding goes on that. I paid $189 for that cam new and I wouldn't be surprised if the bidding goes to $140. Personally, I wouldn't buy a used one because who knows how many miles are really on it. Or was it dropped? Too many unknowns. Would I use that particular cam that I'm selling in a brand new engine? Yes, but I know it's history. After I cleaned it there was no indication that it was ever in an engine! People just get crazy on eBay in the bidding wars.

How about a used distributor? That'll go over $200, easy.
Old 4/6/07, 12:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Gotcha!
------------------
FYI-Bill should be done or close to done with his MGW shifter install. He called me a few hours ago to tell me he was halfway through. So Tom make sure you have your CC near buy.
After reading hundreds of posts on different sites on the MGW shifter, I think I'm gonna have to give it a shot. That's of course after reviewing Bill's write-ups. The only thing that concerns me, is the multitude of adjustments. I'm used to just slappin something in there and going with it.

Seriously Tom, if you haven't been there already, go to the MGW site and view the demonstration. If that doesn't do it, test mine.
Old 4/6/07, 05:16 AM
Cobra R Member

OK, but I'm glad your leather seats are "cracking" just like mine!
Those aren't cracks...that's just the grain.

These seats seem to hold up much better than the SN95 seats. Even my bullitt seats were looking pretty well "worn" after about 50K miles.

That's why I only use it at car shows. Nobody sees it any other time, anyway.

I don't go to too many car shows with this car. I'd rather sit in the car baking in the sun while driving it vs. sitting next to the car baking in a chair.
Old 4/6/07, 05:17 AM
Cobra R Member

Sneak peak..

Too late to shoot vids (got dark), but I'll plan on doing that tomorrow right after work. I'll have the write-up done sometime in the morning, but the vids I'll add in the evening.

Oh yeah, took it for a test drive right after the install. It feels... (you'll have to wait til tomorrow! )

Bill, I'm impatiently waiting for your comparo between Saleen adapter and MGW shifter.
Old 4/6/07, 05:29 AM
Cobra R Member

Well, I think I've seen it all.

Check out this ebay auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...QQcmdZViewItem

It's for a set of Saleen HID headlights. Read the description. Someone that was smart enough to know that those were HID's should have been smart enough to know how they come out.

BTW, thank you everyone for your comments about the cupholder bezel. I will try taking a pic without the coin tray tonight after work.
Old 4/6/07, 06:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOM !!!
(Old Man)

Mike the Cup Holder looks great with the black stripes, nice idea
Old 4/6/07, 07:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Happy birthday Tom! I was hoping I'd be the first!

:cheerleader :
(why won't that 3rd cheerleader work?)
Old 4/6/07, 07:40 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by swwake
I was hoping I'd be the first!
Oh Dear God, I am leaving that one alone.

Susan, remove the space between the last R in cheerleader and the :
Old 4/6/07, 07:53 AM

First thing in order...

Happy Birthday Tom!!

Old 4/6/07, 07:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT

Susan, remove the space between the last R in cheerleader and the :
I'm surprised that Bill hasn't already commented.

Either way...

Happy Birthday Tom !

Old 4/6/07, 08:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

All true for solid, non-roller lifters, but none of that is really true with a camshaft designed to be used with hydraulic roller lifters - there really isn't any mating going on between the rollers and the lobes as there is practically no friction. You don't even have to use break in lube when you install the cam (just a light coat of oil) and you don't have to break in the cam for 20 minutes at 2000 RPM, either! When I installed this cam I used the stock roller lifters and don't even know which positions they came out of. For solid, non-hydrualic lifters there is definitely mating going on.
well I learn something new everyday.
Old 4/6/07, 08:57 AM
GTR Member

Leo-Wife says we're a bunch of DORKS> Of course she's kidding..
Tom-Happy Bday you old bastard How the hell you take that bezel out all the time? Do you not tape IT?
Bill-Let us know about shifter..still not crazy about white ****..it looks out of place IMO
Mike-looks very nice,are you doing brake handle or did I miss that?(I know Leo will say"Remember sometimes less is more")
Old 4/6/07, 09:45 AM
GTR Member

Thanks everybody!

Those aren't cracks...that's just the grain.
Attachment 23458 I guess I meant "creased", cause that's not the grain. Only my driver seat is getting like that, my passenger seat looks perfect since it isn't used. You must have someone in the passenger seat quite a bit.

I'd rather sit in the car baking in the sun while driving it vs. sitting next to the car baking in a chair.
I don't even take a chair to car shows any more. Too much to walk around and look at. Even though I spend most of my time by the cop car answering questions.

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
I'd like to pursue that further!

Originally Posted by Boltzman
How the hell you take that bezel out all the time? Do you not tape IT?
Bill-Let us know about shifter..still not crazy about white ****..it looks out of place IMO
Not taped in. It's just layed in place. Normally I take it out, like I said, but even if I leave it in it doesn't vibrate at all.
Are you going to install the shifter in your car? If so, that's an install I'd love to see! I don't like the white ****, either. And if Bill drove it every day, I think he'd get tired of shifting with it, too.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-cupholder-003.jpg  
Old 4/6/07, 10:51 AM

... I don't like the white ****, either. And if Bill drove it every day, I think he'd get tired of shifting with it, too.
Well, thank God I don't!
Old 4/6/07, 12:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Tom.

Bill-Not feeling the white shifter ball either. Kind of looks like a lollipop because of how thin the MGW shaft is.
Old 4/6/07, 01:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Happy Birthday Tom!
Old 4/6/07, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Bill, I'm impatiently waiting for your comparo between Saleen adapter and MGW shifter.
I currently have my throw setting at 6 turns out, which is approx. 32% reduction in throw (from stock). Going by feel, it's just a tad longer throw compared to the Saleen adapter. I'd guess that at maybe 7 to 8 turns, it'll be like the Saleen throw distance.

As far as a performance comparison, gear engagement is a 100% better. When I had the Saleen in, shifting into 4th was always a PITA. Even had to the the 4 to R jump to get it into reverse most of the time. But now, every gear engages with authority.

The center return springs are pretty strong. George designed them this way on purpose. There's one post on the MGW thread where a woman doesn't like how strong the springs are. That's about the only complaint on the springs that I've rad so far. I for one, don't mind it at all.

Notchyness. Yes, it's present, but it's more of a positive lock, mechanical feel. Hard to describe, only that the notchyness is a good thing in this case. (Tom, you wouldn't like it)

My test drive was rather limited to a couple miles last night. I'm planning on taking it out this afternoon to take some vids of the shifting action. Stay tuned for it.

My write-up can be found here.

Bill-Not feeling the white shifter ball either. Kind of looks like a lollipop because of how thin the MGW shaft is.
You're nutz!

It looks awesome to me. It's one of those things that you have to see in person (like my DG louvers).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)