General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/07, 09:20 AM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's some pics of Chuck's car:

Attachment 16692 Attachment 16693
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-100_0340.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-cimg0872.jpg  
Old 1/3/07, 09:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks Tom. Now I'm sure I stand by my decision of Black or Red. Polished would add to much bling since he already has chrome rims.
Old 1/3/07, 09:28 AM
GTR Member

If anything, I would think black... I think red would stick out too much.
Old 1/3/07, 10:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
If anything, I would think black... I think red would stick out too much.
OK That is exactly why I would pick RED, so they WOULD stick out.
I personally don't see the point of painting the calipers if you want them to hide

I could see black on your car, because it's completely black & white.
Old 1/3/07, 10:49 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
OK That is exactly why I would pick RED, so they WOULD stick out.
I personally don't see the point of painting the calipers if you want them to hide

I could see black on your car, because it's completely black & white.
Then I guess it matters on whether you would want them to stick out or not - just like the fuel door.

I like my calipers the way they are. Red would stick out too much, black would blend in with the rims too much.
Old 1/3/07, 12:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
No, it's not. It's there so they can slap the bolts in at the factory.

... For adjustability (once lowered), you are supposed to elongate the upper holes in the strut so you can pull the top of the rotor out more.

... I did this for piece of mind - now I know each side is identical, within the camber window, and will never move.

Are the proper amount of threads showing, inspector?
True, the clearance fit between the strut and spindle were not engineered that way for dialing in camber. Like you said, it's for ease of installation. However, minute adjustments can be made if you wish to even out both the left and right sides (though not necessary). In my case (as well as all Ultralite spring owners), equal in-tolerance camber can be achieved utilizing the factory bolts providing all of what you mentioned; piece of mind - knowing each side is identical, within the camber window, and will never move.

btw- per the Work Instructions, you're supposed to elongate the lower mounting holes in the strut, not the top.

Those are some of the purdiest cad plated Grade 8 bolts I've seen!

And yes, they pass the thread protrusion inspection.

Then I guess it matters on whether you would want them to stick out or not - just like the fuel door.

I like my calipers the way they are. Red would stick out too much, black would blend in with the rims too much.
I don't think Daryl is concerned about 'sticking out' if he goes with red calipers... he already has plenty sticking out; Shaker, big stripes, and scoops!
If the car were all stock, having red calipers would stand out a little too much.

You think my fuel door sticks out?

The silver finish on the factory calipers look good as long as they look new. Once they get stained with grime, oil, or grease... paint them.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
front camber adjustment_2006.pdf (144.0 KB, 284 views)
Old 1/3/07, 01:12 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tom,thanks for posting pics.you are too fast for me!
leo, I think you're right about too much bling with the polished look.Iwas thinking red at first, but my wife doesn't like that look(Not that she has a say in the matter )
Bill,I do like the idea of original but why cant a cleaner be used to keep them looking new
also ,I have not seen enough cars with black to really get a good feel for it.
I'm so **** confused
I really like the smooth look of aftermarket calipers. If someone made a replacement for the stock ones,I would probably go with that(hint hint,someone please get on this)
Old 1/3/07, 02:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
Tom,thanks for posting pics.you are too fast for me!
leo, I think you're right about too much bling with the polished look.Iwas thinking red at first, but my wife doesn't like that look(Not that she has a say in the matter )
Bill,I do like the idea of original but why cant a cleaner be used to keep them looking new
also ,I have not seen enough cars with black to really get a good feel for it.
I'm so **** confused
I really like the smooth look of aftermarket calipers. If someone made a replacement for the stock ones,I would probably go with that(hint hint,someone please get on this)
Just a quick crappy chop but I think you get the idea.
Attachment 16710That might be a bit bright too, but it matches the color from the previous post that showed the G2 Red painted calipers.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-boltzman.jpg  
Old 1/3/07, 02:46 PM

... If someone made a replacement for the stock ones,I would probably go with that.
I don't think a cleaner would work. Maybe only if you stay on top of it by cleaning/wiping them down on a regular basis.

When Leo was over for the rotor swap, I tried spiffing up his calipers to no avail. I tried everything from brake cleaners to MEK and none would bring back that bright silver finish of a new looking caliper.

And me too, if someone made smooth surfaced replacement calipers, I'd get them.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-leos-caliper.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-bills-caliper.jpg  
Old 1/3/07, 02:48 PM

Just a quick crappy chop but I think you get the idea.
That might be a bit bright too, but it matches the color from the previous post that showed the G2 Red painted calipers.
(for me)
Stands out way too much.
Old 1/3/07, 02:50 PM
GTR Member

equal in-tolerance camber can be achieved utilizing the factory bolts providing all of what you mentioned; piece of mind - knowing each side is identical, within the camber window, and will never move.
But now they do all that automatically!

btw- per the Work Instructions, you're supposed to elongate the lower mounting holes in the strut, not the top.
Well, that's just dumb - it makes much more sense to make the adjustment at the top bolt.

You think my fuel door sticks out?
Sure - it isn't Torch Red, but it doesn't stick out like black on white would.

The silver finish on the factory calipers look good as long as they look new. Once they get stained with grime, oil, or grease... paint them.
Or clean them. Brake cleaner works great.
Old 1/3/07, 02:57 PM

Bill-Need to pick your brain. I see I haven't been on this forum since I got my GT back last April. For Christmas I got a set of Borla's-not the stingers, the rectangular ones #11752. As I checked some of the forum's, the few folks that I see that have these say they're not much different than stock. So, I was sorta bummed & thought I'd send 'em back and replace them with stinger's. Then, after looking (& listening) at yours, I'm wondering if maybe I should keep these Borla's, but go with some off-road H-Pypes? They would not be as loud as yours, but that's OK w/me, 'cause we don't have any parking garages here in Eastern Oregon to go set off alarms, anyway. So, my question for you, do you think that would be an OK solution? I didn't get the cat-back Borla's, only the axle-back. Can I go with the Pypes off road H-pipe to the stock cat-back pipe, then to the axle-back Borla's? Does this change require a re-flash? If it does, I'm probably screwed, 'cause to my knowledge we don't have any shops in this country to do a re-flash. Thanks for your help! Jim
Old 1/3/07, 03:23 PM

For Christmas I got a set of Borla's-not the stingers, the rectangular ones #11752. As I checked some of the forum's, the few folks that I see that have these say they're not much different than stock. So, I was sorta bummed & thought I'd send 'em back and replace them with stinger's. Then, after looking (& listening) at yours, I'm wondering if maybe I should keep these Borla's, but go with some off-road H-Pypes?
I believe those are the equivalent of Ford Racing's GTA or GTQ muffers.
I'd say that they're pretty close to the Flowmaster American Thunders.
Leo has some vids of the Flows with the Pypes O/R H-Pipe.

So, my question for you, do you think that would be an OK solution? I didn't get the cat-back Borla's, only the axle-back.
That will all depend on you on how loud you want your exhaust. Keep in mind, the Stingers will produce a lot of interior drone noise at certain rpm's which some find undesirable.

Can I go with the Pypes off road H-pipe to the stock cat-back pipe, then to the axle-back Borla's?
Sure! That's my set-up.

Does this change require a re-flash? If it does, I'm probably screwed, 'cause to my knowledge we don't have any shops in this country to do a re-flash.
Changing exhausts won't require a re-flash. However, you'll either need some MIL Eliminators or a custom tune to disable the rear O2 sensors.

No need for a shop, Doug at BamaChips can set you up with a kick in the pants Race Tune!

Tom, Leo, & others: Sounds about right?
Old 1/3/07, 03:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
I have been demoted to "OTHERS" status.
But I would agree with you anyway Bill.
Old 1/3/07, 04:00 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Sounds right.

But be aware the videos aren't an exact representation of what it will sound like in person. Check out mine (Flowmasters with Pypes H-Pipe):

At least the stock H-Pipe is as easy to put back on as it is to take off!
Old 1/3/07, 04:07 PM

I have demoted to "OTHERS" status.
But I would agree with you anyway Bill.
Worry not, Mr. Daryl! You're top 3, it's just that Jim's questions were pertaining mostly to the Pypes O/R H. But, I knew you're one of 3 running the A/T's.

Now, quit crying you little baby.

Old 1/3/07, 06:40 PM

Thanks Guys

Appreciate your response(s). Think I'll keep the Borla's & try the H-pipe route.
Old 1/3/07, 08:28 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the chop Daryl. Can you try black? I definitely can say that I am NOT painting them red
Old 1/4/07, 07:30 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks for the chop Daryl. Can you try black? I definitely can say that I am NOT painting them red
I'll try to do it today, but work looks busy so far
I think they will be very stealth black, but we will see.

SCT2 should be here this morning.

EDIT: Receiving Clerk just handed it to me
Old 1/4/07, 11:52 AM

Leo's painting his calipers as I type this.

Hope all is going well...

Just waiting for the pics.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)