General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 10/20/06, 01:23 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geez I leave the thread for a few days wrapped up with work and come back to Tom talking about the '****-master'......
You never know what you'll find in here!

Hey Tom that Mach 1 emblem looks great!!
Thanks! I like it a lot better this way.

You guys mentioned the hood pins - I HAD to get them on my 05 after I got the RK Sport hood because of the bad shake on windy days over 75/80mph. I wanted a clean look but functionality and necessity took over. My bro and I did them ourselves and I actually ended up gorwing to like them more than I thought - they definitely became part of the car's personality/look. The little thing I did different was paint the scuff plates BLACK so they blended with the hood more.
Did you see the ones at MOSI that I pointed out a few posts back? How did you like them? I would paint the scuff plates gloss white, I think, too. I also might leave off the cables... I don't know. This is IF I even get them.
Old 10/20/06, 01:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
I might be going to the local track tonight! I just need to convince the wife since I'd like her to film. I have a dvd camcorder and have now idea if and how I will be able to upload footage. Worst comes to worst I'll post timeslips.
If your DVD camcorder records and stores each video clip as an MPEG file, you can upload it into your PhotoBucket (remember to select Video as it defaults to Image in the upload box). Keep in mind, PhotoBucket has a file size limit, so you don't want to shoot a several minute long shot.

I think with your Handycam, all you have to do is finalize the DVD, then plop it into your PC to transfer the video files.
Old 10/20/06, 01:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Tks Bill. Well I called the wife at work at it turns out she doesn't want to go so I'm riding solo. I guess I'll take the camera anyways as I'm sure I can get a fellow stanger to shoot for me.

I'm so excited. I can't wait to finally see what she can do.
Old 10/20/06, 01:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Burke0011
'****-master'......
Yea I actually left that one alone, after Bill's :gay: comment now Tom's I am worried
Hard to see those pins in the 1st picture, painting the plates black really makes them less noticeable.
Old 10/20/06, 01:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Keep in mind, PhotoBucket has a file size limit, so you don't want to shoot a several minute long shot.
If his 1/4 run takes that long, he will have done something terribly wrong.
Old 10/20/06, 01:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I have a couple of q's though.Since my car's automatic.

Should I do a burnout even though I don't have drag slicks?

Should I rev up to 1g-2g rpms before launch?

Should I try the stock tune first? Or should I just go ahead with the 91R?

O/D on or off?
Old 10/20/06, 01:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
If his 1/4 run takes that long, he will have done something terribly wrong.
It's only an 1/8 mile track so each clip shouldn't be longer than a minute even if I start filming from the burnout box.
Old 10/20/06, 01:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

From memory on posts from this forum;

Since my car's automatic.
No, won't help on stock tires.

Yes, you will have to play with it to get the right RPMs

Should I try the stock tune first? Or should I just go ahead with the 91R?
I would try all the tunes in the same Octane rating just to see the difference.

O/D on or off?
Off

One other thing, do not forget to turn your TRACTION CONTROL OFF
Old 10/20/06, 01:46 PM

Yes and no. Only for a second to clear off any debris off the tires.
Reference:

Drag Racing 101: Destroying the Myth: Tires, Water Box, VHT. There are three main tires used on the track; street, drag radials, and slicks. Street tires are not designed for burnouts because it superheats them thereby providing poor traction. Skip Barber racing school consistently has students darting back and forth on the track upon getting into the Neon’s, Viper’s, or Ram’s in an attempt to heat up the tires, only to be told to stop by the instructors because these vehicles run on street tires. The recommendation for a street tire is to go AROUND the water box and accelerate hard to the starting line to remove any debris off the tires. Street tires also remove the traction compound, VHT, unlike slicks and a few drag radials that put down rubber. The inherit conflict/problems is people do not remove the debris off their tires by accelerating hard to the starting line and then rip up the VHT creating poor track conditions. On the opposite side of the spectrum are slicks which are designed to be heated them up. Do to the amazing traction these tires support, water is usually required to get them to spin without doing damage to the drive train. Like previously noted, slicks leave compound unlike street tires who remove it, hence why conditions can improve over a professional racing period (assuming the track temperature doesn’t increase).

I'd put my left foot heavy on the brake and bring the R's up to around 2000 rpm's. Then when the x-mas tree hits green, let off the brake and watch out for excessive wheel spin. Secret is to 'Grab N' Go', not go up in smoke.

Should I try the stock tune first?
I wouldn't. Especially if you have to wait in line between runs or only get a limited number of passes.

Or should I just go ahead with the 91R?
Yes! maybe experiment with the 91P if you get the chance.

O/D on or off?
Off!

I'd consider airing down too, maybe to 30psi?

Better check if you need a helmet.

And like Daryl mentioned, T/C Off!
Old 10/20/06, 01:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Tks Daryl. I didn't mention the TCS since I figured that was obivous.
Old 10/20/06, 01:58 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Tks Daryl. I didn't mention the TCS since I figured that was obivous.
But OH so easy to forget since it is ON by default.
Old 10/20/06, 02:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

4 1/2 hrs till race time.
Old 10/20/06, 03:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Daryl
Welcome to our thread. I forsee alot of greenbacks leaving your wallet in the next month. Do you have any previous experience with "brsparts"? Just asking as I've never heard of them. What's your plan for the chin spoiler (keeping it matte black or getting it color matched with the car)? Those are all awesome mods that will really make your stang stand out.

Everyone else excluding Bill- I'm disappointed in your lack of commenting on my new mods.
Leo thanks, I spoke to the guy at Brsparts for the first time last night when I ordered them......... He seems pretty cool. I am going to have the chin spoiler painted to match.
Old 10/20/06, 03:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I need to learn to use more than one quote.

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Welcome! Do you mean rear floor mats? Didn't the Crimson upgrade package come with front red floor mats? Mine did, but I'm not sure if they changed it for '07.

No hood scoop? Planning on becoming a member of the "Shaker Club"?

Did you get auto or manual? I'm guessing manual, but can't tell from you just saying "5 speed".

Have a link with more pics, like a Photobucket? We need to see more pics... but be careful, if you come here too often, we'll talk you into lowering it and an exhaust change! We love to spend other people's money!
Tom 07s did not have red mats as option 5 speed manual I am spending Shaker money now, I am going to wait til the spring to get one I just can t cut a hole in my "perfectly good hood" right now
Will do a photobucket soon. Exhaust...I am leaning toward Corsas. 07s stock are alil louder than 05s and 06s
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-picture-car-002.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-picture-car-010.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-picture-car-011.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-picture-car-005.jpg  
Old 10/20/06, 03:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Rapture
I need to learn to use more than one quote.

Tom 07s did not have red mats as option 5 speed manual I am spending Shaker money now, I am going to wait til the spring to get one I just can t cut a hole in my "perfectly good hood" right now
Will do a photobucket soon. Exhaust...I am leaning toward Corsas. 07s stock are alil louder than 05s and 06s
Man I really like that Alloy Grey color. It is close to the color of my last car, but a bit brighter.
Old 10/20/06, 04:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
Man I really like that Alloy Grey color. It is close to the color of my last car, but a bit brighter.
+1. Great color. Although I thought your car was blue up untill those pics.

Bill- Tks for all the info. I don't think I'll be lowering the psi I want to try be as close to daily driver specs as possible. Which is why I'm not taking out my spare,jack, or Shaker 1000 sub. They rent helmets at the track. It's first come first serve which is why I'll be leaving at 5 even though it doesn't kick off till 6. The only thing I'm worried about is that they have a tech inspect the car before you race and according to the tracks website you must have a street legal exhuast.
Old 10/20/06, 05:25 PM
GTR Member

Just got back from a parent-teacher conference, and then dinner... wow I missed a lot.

Talk about not commenting on everything, Leo... Did anybody see my MRI update? Anybody at all?

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...postcount=3799

I understand that it was way back on the bottom of page 190, and nobody goes back a page to look. Nobody cares about me... just drag racing...

Rapture - to do multiple quotes, click on the "+ button to the right of the Quote button on all the posts you want to quote (even if they are on different pages). Then, click Post Reply and it will bring up a new post with all the quotes for you. Nice looking car... I do love that color, too! Once you drill the pilot hole to start the jigsaw, the rest is a breeze. Get the right tpi blade (it's not as high for aluminum as you may think) and it will cut like butter. Why are the '07s louder? I wasn't aware of any intake or exhaust change.

Bill - air down to 30psi? What do you keep your tires at normally? Mine are always at 30psi. That's the recommended psi for my BFGs. A little less psi REALLY helps with ride comfort. The tires act like shocks. Anything higher than 32 psi makes for a pretty stiff sidewall.

Daryl - no comment.

Leo - Good luck tonight and have fun. There is a calculator/converter that I'll look for, that will give you your estimated 1/4 mile times from your 1/8 mile time slip. Unless the time slip already has the estimated 1/4 mile time and speed on it. BTW, when power-braking, don't let off the brake when the green light turns on -- let off the brake when the yellow light turns off. By the time you get over the sensor, it'll be green.

Guess I was too late.
Old 10/20/06, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rapture
I just can't cut a hole in my "perfectly good hood" right now...
Nice color combo, Rusty!

Keep the mods tasteful and it'll remain lookin' sharp!

btw- Daryl, Leo, Tom, and myself ALL had perfectly good hoods!

J/K Tom! Glad you got the green light to return to work.
All that pain you have may be from old age. It happens to all of us, buddy.

Bill - air down to 30psi? What do you keep your tires at normally? Mine are always at 30psi. That's the recommended psi for my BFGs. A little less psi REALLY helps with ride comfort. The tires act like shocks. Anything higher than 32 psi makes for a pretty stiff sidewall.
I'm running 36 on all 4 corners on recommendation from my alignment guy.
Manual says 32 for my tires.
I don't know what pressure I'm at now being it was set back in June.

Guess I was too late.
Strange... that's the story of my life.
Old 10/20/06, 10:43 PM
GTR Member

I seriously doubt it... you're older than me and do you feel like you have 480 Volts shooting down your left leg when you move wrong?? It's internal swelling that I wish would unswell!

I would try it at 32... you are still in the factory camber tolerance. That 4 lbs will make a huge difference in ride comfort. If Mike put 36 in his 20's the ride would be terrible...

Well, you do have to drive it to feel ride quality.
Old 10/20/06, 11:07 PM

I seriously doubt it... you're older than me and do you feel like you have 480 Volts shooting down your left leg when you move wrong?? It's internal swelling that I wish would unswell!
Actually I do, but it's not in my left or right leg! It's through the.... never mind!

I would try it at 32... you are still in the factory camber tolerance. That 4 lbs will make a huge difference in ride comfort. If Mike put 36 in his 20's the ride would be terrible...
I'll have to check what pressure I'm at tomorrow. After sitting for a few months, it may have lost a pound or two.

Well, you do have to drive it to feel ride quality.
I may just take it out for a cruise tomorrow just for that! I'll show you!

btw- Our Club's Edelbrock tour got cancelled last minute!!
Club has alternate plans, so I may go check out what happening in the morning.

Leo- I dropped your name here, hope you don't mind the reference.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)