General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Old 4/13/06, 03:17 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't wait to get my windows tinted now, Bill!!!

For those who missed it, I'm thinking about putting Black Bullets on my car. I'm borrowing my buddy Mike's 20 inchers to see how it looks. His car and my car can be found in the following link with the 20's on them (and I added "Top Down" pics, too). I'll most likely get the same rim but in the 18" version (so the calipers and rotors don't look so small).

20" Black Bullet Rims

I can't believe how good these rims look! I used to hate bullets and I used to hate black rims, but for some reason I think they really look good! And it's hard to explain why, but I question them more in the pictures, but when I go outside and look at them, there's no question about it. I don't know why they look better in person. Susan... when I get stripes or graphics or whatever, they will be in black. Also, I'm thinking about keeping the chin spoiler black now to match the rims. Plus there is the black Silverhorse Racing panel in the back between the taillights (that's why I took the rear corner shots).

For those who are interested:

Mike's are 20x8.5" rims with a 24mm offset. Stock is 17X8" with a 45mm offset. The lower offset on the 20's brings the tire out under the fenderwell more. The higher the offset number, the more the tire goes in toward the center of the car.

The 18" rims are 18x9" with a 36mm offset to correct for the wider rim and I'm actually considering putting 18x10" (45mm offset) on the back.

So I would have 255/45-18 on the front and 285/40-18 on the back... Front and back would both be the exact same height as stock (27.0") and both would be under the fenderwell with no tire sticking out past the edge.

Still looking for any and all comments/opinions/suggestions.

BTW, total cost for any combination I go with will be $1350 out the door. New car "take-offs" are selling individually from $150-200 because people want/need to replace bent rims. If I get $600 to $800 for my 4 stock wheels, this whole deal will only cost me $550 to $750!! Not bad for 4 tires and 4 rims!
Old 4/13/06, 03:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(89Trooper @ April 13, 2006, 4:20 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

For those who missed it, I'm thinking about putting Black Bullets on my car. I'm borrowing my buddy Mike's 20 inchers to see how it looks. His car and my car can be found in the following link with the 20's on them (and I added "Top Down" pics, too). I'll most likely get the same rim but in the 18" version (so the calipers and rotors don't look so small).

20" Black Bullet Rims

I can't believe how good these rims look! I used to hate bullets and I used to hate black rims, but for some reason I think they really look good! And it's hard to explain why, but I question them more in the pictures, but when I go outside and look at them, there's no question about it. I don't know why they look better in person. Susan... when I get stripes or graphics or whatever, they will be in black. Also, I'm thinking about keeping the chin spoiler black now to match the rims. Plus there is the black Silverhorse Racing panel in the back between the taillights (that's why I took the rear corner shots).

For those who are interested:

Mike's are 20x8.5" rims with a 24mm offset. Stock is 17X8" with a 45mm offset. The lower offset on the 20's brings the tire out under the fenderwell more. The higher the offset number, the more the tire goes in toward the center of the car.

The 18" rims are 18x9" with a 36mm offset to correct for the wider rim and I'm actually considering putting 18x10" (45mm offset) on the back.

So I would have 255/45-18 on the front and 285/40-18 on the back... Front and back would both be the exact same height as stock (27.0") and both would be under the fenderwell with no tire sticking out past the edge.

Still looking for any and all comments/opinions/suggestions.
[/b][/quote]
I like the tires with the top up and with it down. Don't know just something about it looks good. Red Calipers shining through later on ? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 4/13/06, 04:02 PM
GTR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OKCMustangGT @ April 13, 2006, 5:53 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>Red Calipers shining through later on ? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img][/b][/quote]No... if I do use the G2 paint, I will probably paint the calipers black to hide them. It depends how "small" they look with the 18's.

Now I have to decide... white C/S hood scoop... or black C/S hood scoop??

Nah... looking at the pics again, I think they'll look fine on 18's and I'll just leave them silver.

For now!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OKCMustangGT @ April 13, 2006, 5:53 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>Don't know just something about it looks good. [/b][/quote]You should see it in person!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]
Old 4/13/06, 10:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(89Trooper @ April 13, 2006, 2:20 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]
Didn't like the Bullits before? Hey.. I have Bullits! (I know you fell in love with them after seein' mines, huh?) Just joking... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

Man, 255's up front and 285's in the rear [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] ... that is the way to do it! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Forget about the rotation stuff and go for that combo.

Now that you know how the felt works on the tint, what are you waiting for? Do it!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(89Trooper @ April 13, 2006, 3:05 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Now I have to decide... white C/S hood scoop... or black C/S hood scoop??
[/b][/quote]
That's an easy one.

Black 10" racing stripes on a Performance White C/S hood scoop! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]

And I would try to see how the CDC chin spoiler would look in matte black. If it doesn't flow with the stripes, paint it PW and have the stripes run all the way down.
Old 4/14/06, 07:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Hey Tom,

Check this out.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....opic=46717&hl=

Shows you what that GT?CS hood scoop looks like on a PW Vert

Not to mention some other great pics. How about that Roadster Style GT/CS ? That looks awsome. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img]
Old 4/14/06, 08:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

I like the black rims. I also like the tire combo your thinking of. The 02-03 cobra has 275's on a 9 inch rim so I think that a 10 inch is the way to go with 285's. I'm thinking of putting 255's on the stock rims. I have 255's on my 95 cobra. Ya can't go any bigger on the stock rim size.
Old 4/14/06, 08:11 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2005muzzy @ April 14, 2006, 7:08 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I like the black rims. I also like the tire combo your thinking of. The 02-03 cobra has 275's on a 9 inch rim so I think that a 10 inch is the way to go with 285's. I'm thinking of putting 255's on the stock rims. I have 255's on my 95 cobra. Ya can't go any bigger on the stock rim size.
[/b][/quote]
I agree 100%... 285's! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img]

Tony, I think your sig is a wee bit old, needs updating. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 4/14/06, 10:34 AM
GTR Member

Still beating myself up about the rims... still leaning toward the 18", but don't know if it will look as good (or as retro) as the 20's. I'm also going to keep the 18x9" rims all the way around because the Nitto 555's get pretty pricy in the 285 size!

See my new link here... we'll see if anybody has any pictures or other opinions:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=46863
Old 4/14/06, 10:46 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(89Trooper @ April 14, 2006, 9:37 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Still beating myself up about the rims... still leaning toward the 18", but don't know if it will look as good (or as retro) as the 20's. I'm also going to keep the 18x9" rims all the way around because the Nitto 555's get pretty pricy in the 285 size!
[/b][/quote]
Pricey? Come on Tom, if you cut loose of $60+ on Stealth bulbs (which btw look awsome!), what's another few bucks for the 285's?

(I love spending other people's money!) [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

Seriously, I hope you get addt'l input from the other members here about your rim/tire selection. Just about every mod I've done (or planning) is because of the experience and feedback of the folks here in TMS.
Old 4/14/06, 02:33 PM

Well, since it's pretty quiet here, I'll post some pics of stuff that I've been foolishly buying lately. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

Starting with a MGW 12V plug ('GT' in triple chrome) and the A/C control ***** (also in triple chrome). My cupholder bezel and door pins will be arriving soon (I hope).

Here's my Midwest intake plenum cover with my $13 emblem. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif[/img]

I'll be installing some other stuff by the weekend and Ill post back with some pics.
Old 4/14/06, 04:38 PM
GTR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TacoBill @ April 14, 2006, 4:36 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>that I've been foolishly buying lately.[/b][/quote]None of that stuff is foolish, Bill... it all looks great! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

I think all that stuff would look good in my car, too! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 4/14/06, 05:07 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(89Trooper @ April 14, 2006, 3:41 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
None of that stuff is foolish, Bill... it all looks great! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

I think all that stuff would look good in my car, too! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
Thanks Tom!

But, I can't take all the credit. I stole a couple of ideas from you. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 4/14/06, 05:42 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OKCMustangGT @ April 12, 2006, 12:05 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Congrats Karman [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]
Two rules for this thread:
1) We need a name [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
2) WE NEED PICS OF THAT BEAUTY !! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Here's a start of pictures:
The first picture and the first mod.

[attachmentid=46969][attachmentid=46970]

It's name is coming later on the license plate
Old 4/14/06, 05:46 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(karman @ April 14, 2006, 4:45 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Here's a start of pictures:
The first picture and the first mod.

[attachmentid=46969][attachmentid=46970]

It's name is coming later on the license plate
[/b][/quote]
Very nice! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Now lets see a side shot of those 64W's on the VB!
Old 4/14/06, 06:02 PM

Yeah, I do have a couple pictures of the wheels.
[attachmentid=46973][attachmentid=46974]
That's about it for right now.
Old 4/14/06, 06:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(karman @ April 14, 2006, 7:05 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[attachmentid=46973][attachmentid=46974]
That's about it for right now.
[/b][/quote]
Ahh she is a beaut, I just love that color. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img] Little biased here though.
By name I meant yours, and you can give your car name as well.
I'm still trying to think of what to call her. My friend keeps calling her Blue Steel. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 4/14/06, 07:28 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OKCMustangGT @ April 14, 2006, 8:21 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Ahh she is a beaut, I just love that color. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img] Little biased here though.
By name I meant yours, and you can give your car name as well.
I'm still trying to think of what to call her. My friend keeps calling her Blue Steel. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Well...
As to MY name
If you went to where I work and asked around for a mechanical technician with KARMAN on his work clothes, somebody would take you to me. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
I did, however, drop one letter off my birth name. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 4/14/06, 10:32 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(karman @ April 14, 2006, 5:05 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[attachmentid=46973]
[/b][/quote]
I like the way you don't put your hand on the paint. Now here's a man who's thinking! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

btw- Awesome wheels! (also biased here [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img] )
Old 4/15/06, 01:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Well I got my DRL Module installed and it works like it is supposed to [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]
I will post my write-up, pics, etc later this evening, but as of now I hear the Golf Course calling my name.

Here is a teaster pic.
All Installed
and the
Comparison Shot
You tell me which is the lights using the DRL Module and which is using the factory switch.
Pretty easy to tell is it not?

A big THANKS goes out to TOM as well. Couldn't have done it without his assistance. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 4/15/06, 02:41 PM
GTR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OKCMustangGT @ April 15, 2006, 3:39 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>You tell me which is the lights using the DRL Module and which is using the factory switch.[/b][/quote]Big difference, but you'll be surprised how many people think twice before pulling out in front of you now! I think the module turns the lights on at 9 to 10 Volts (hence the dimmer look). Glad it all went ok... I now it's scary screwing around with the wiring on a new car!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)