General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Paint for rubber

Search this Thread

Old 6/8/24, 11:40 AM
V6 Member

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
Paint for rubber

My car comes with beautifully matched carpeting in the front and trunk of the car. The Mustang with the three colored bars. But I live in the mountains and other than the trunk there is no way to keep that carpeting clean. A couple of years ago I bought some rubber mats, and they have the Mustang on them. I would like to paint the lower area around the Mustang, so it won't wear off. Is there a paint out there for this purpose.... Thanks
Old 6/8/24, 11:48 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,866 Likes on 2,112 Posts
I'm Thinking Tire Paint Pens!

Area Will Need To Be Scrubbed Very Well! Start With Sos Pad, Move on to Dawn Dishwasing Soap & Finally Take Cotton ***** With Denatured Alcohol to Remove Any Silicone Residue. After That it's A Learning Curve as To What Works. I Would Surmise a Initial Very Light Coat & Let Dry & Then Fill it In. I'm Shooting From The Hip on Similar But Not Exact Painting Projects & If Anybody Else Has Some Real World on This Please Chime in!

A Pic Would Be Great to See Exactly What We are Working On!

I Like The Second Link Pens The Best! Seems To Be More Rubber Specific!

Amazon Amazon

KC

Amazon Amazon
Old 6/8/24, 10:51 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Macgould
My car comes with beautifully matched carpeting in the front and trunk of the car. The Mustang with the three colored bars. But I live in the mountains and other than the trunk there is no way to keep that carpeting clean. A couple of years ago I bought some rubber mats, and they have the Mustang on them. I would like to paint the lower area around the Mustang, so it won't wear off. Is there a paint out there for this purpose.... Thanks
Bit off-topic to your actual question, but you *& others may find what I did helpful.
I purchased one of those clear approx 6 mm thick plastic carpet desk floor protectors & cut them to size. Works a treat, better than the rubber ones IMHO & they stay put, no slippage. So easy to clean & nothing seems to stick to them. Pics below; Note the word Mustang you can see through the clear is on some tailor made electric mats, that are over the actual factory carpet. Many layers of protection

Old 6/8/24, 10:56 PM

Very Cool!

Reminds Me of When I Was a Kid and Some of The Cars Would Get Clear Plastic Covers over the New Car Seats! Circa Early 60's!

The following users liked this post:
MustangOldYellow (6/9/24)
Old 6/8/24, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Very Cool!

Reminds Me of When I Was a Kid and Some of The Cars Would Get Clear Plastic Covers over the New Car Seats! Circa Early 60's!

Ha! I remember that well! In fact, when Chryslers were still manufacturing cars in Adelaide, Australia back in the early 1980s, I ordered a CM Valiant Regal SE & ticked every option box. I also asked the delivering dealer to not remove the plastic on all seats, which were plush leather.
He said he gets lots of requests for that & not a problem. On picking the said car up, I was dismayed to find all the protective plastic removed! On querying same, it was noted, that his written instructions had gone to another identical car that day, with the same surname as mine. What are the chances I thought, oh well

05stangkc (6/8/24)
Old 6/9/24, 01:24 PM
V6 Member

I am going to explore your idea. It would allow the carpet emblems to show through. Thinks for the idea. I know I have seen this clear plastic material somewhere, It has little points sticking out the bottom side and won't let shift around. Seems it came in a roll. Did you have to heat it in some way?
Old 6/9/24, 01:45 PM
V6 Member

The horse would remain black, and the lower portions painted. If I paint the horse it would quickly wear off. I clean all this once or twice a week.
MustangOldYellow (6/9/24)
Old 6/9/24, 02:17 PM
V6 Member

Can't find it but saw something that it's the floor protectors you're talking about. I knew I had seen them.
Old 6/9/24, 02:20 PM
V6 Member

Just dawned on me, what's wrong with your car, steering wheel missing.
Old 6/9/24, 04:38 PM

Just dawned on me, what's wrong with your car, steering wheel missing.

Old 6/9/24, 04:43 PM

Can't find it but saw something that it's the floor protectors you're talking about. I knew I had seen them.
Correct! And yes, they have small nodules on the back to stop them slipping. They are the ones that you use on carpet under a desk chair. Not the roll type that goes on hallways. Available from office supply shops, like Office Works.

Old 6/9/24, 05:00 PM

Wink

I am going to explore your idea. It would allow the carpet emblems to show through. Thinks for the idea. I know I have seen this clear plastic material somewhere, It has little points sticking out the bottom side and won't let shift around. Seems it came in a roll. Did you have to heat it in some way?
No, you do not need to heat it, it's reasonably pliable & with some stiffness, which is advantageous to fitting in the foot wells.
Old 6/9/24, 05:02 PM
V6 Member

Here we have Staples Office Supply. Not sure why, we're so small If it wasn't for Walmart we wouldn't be a town. Thanks, definitely going to look at those. I'm assuming they're too big for the foot well in the car. So. a box cutter should do the job.
Old 6/9/24, 05:13 PM

Here we have Staples Office Supply. Not sure why, we're so small If it wasn't for Walmart we wouldn't be a town. Thanks, definitely going to look at those. I'm assuming they're too big for the foot well in the car. So. a box cutter should do the job.
They're also available from *Amazon (Included a *screenshot previously), if you can't find them at your local Staples store. I'd use a pair of heavy-duty scissors, but up to you!
Macgould (6/9/24)
Old 6/10/24, 10:33 AM
V6 Member

Found a set on Amazon made of clear rubber. They have pre-marked area to cut to your needs,

This is what I'm trying to allow to show through from the floor well. Funny part is they (ones with Mustang) are the weather protection covers over the regular floor mats. They may be waterproof, but you can't keep them clean. The photo is from the trunk, but same emblem is on the floor.

Same emblem on floor. Hoping clear cover will allow the emblem to show through.
MustangOldYellow (6/10/24)
Old 6/10/24, 12:52 PM

Here is Some Backstory on FORDs S-197 Rubber Mats You Might Find Interesting!

Initial Mats Were a Real Head Scratcher With a Slit Where all the Dirt Went!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...2/#post4653584

KC
Old 6/10/24, 02:35 PM
V6 Member

Just replied on another site you are discussing this.
Old 6/10/24, 02:59 PM

Some of My Posts Have Held Up a Lot Better Than Me! I'm Wondering if Threads Are Like Cars! We Now Have Some CLASSIC Threads Here on TMS Since They are 20 Years Old!

KC
Old 6/13/24, 04:02 PM
V6 Member

My Amazon order arrived as seen in following photo's. Mustang Old Yellow, if you hadn't mentioned your solution, I likely would have gone forward with the paint pen idea.
As you can see the original owner had the emblems in the foot wells of the car, the trunk and the horses near the arm rest. I wouldn't say I have a 100 percent satisfaction on this, but you can at least see the floor emblems and it gives off an interesting blue light effect on the floor.
I don't know what the guy paid for on these emblems and little chrome pony's. But I paid $15.00 for the clear rubber mats, after some money off from points earned.

This is what I'm trying to protect and keep clean. It is the weather protection for the floor. Waterproof, I guess.

I didn't do any trimming

I've only seen these on a few car.
MustangOldYellow (6/13/24)