General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ok this could be interesting

Search this Thread

Old 1/18/11, 06:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok this could be interesting

I know its not mustang but its about another ford icon. According to motor trend, they recently held an interview with ford officials and apparently theres a new Ford GT in the works. No official word but when the question was brought up they didnt give a definite no, they tried avoiding the topic actually. Could a new GT be coming back to combat the 2013 viper and the next gen c7 vette??
Old 1/18/11, 07:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Would be really cool. Still way out of my price range.
Old 1/18/11, 07:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by rushc66
Yea, of its gonna be better than the previous model and especially with how expensive cars are startin to get, they should be priced similarly with the chevy z06 or even the zr1. Only time will tell i suppose
Old 1/18/11, 08:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I wish Ford would come back out with a Torino or Fairlane! With muscle not a family car.
Old 1/18/11, 08:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

I wish Ford would come back out with a Torino or Fairlane! With muscle not a family car.
Yea, a torino would be a nice addition to the line. Well ford is looking to hit the global market so some new sedans are definitley coming. Maybe antorino performance sedan. Because back in the day torinos were basically fatter mustangs so they would have the right size to be turned into a quick 4 door. Or they could just talk to ford australia andnp sign a deal with em to market it worldwide
Old 1/19/11, 12:01 AM
Bullitt Member

As long as it's faster, quicker, and better handling than the zr1. Do with this to the zr1, what the '11 mustang did to the camaro.

Btw I think the Australian falcon already filled the niche that a new Torino would occupy. Unless they decide to do to the Torino name like they planned on doing to the fairlane name.

Last edited by kjacobson351; 1/19/11 at 12:04 AM.
Old 1/19/11, 04:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by kjacobson351
As long as it's faster, quicker, and better handling than the zr1. Do with this to the zr1, what the '11 mustang did to the camaro.

Btw I think the Australian falcon already filled the niche that a new Torino would occupy. Unless they decide to do to the Torino name like they planned on doing to the fairlane name.
Yea the falcon pretty much has but thats one of the few things australia has that no one else does from Ford so im not sure if they would decide to join the global ford branch with it
Old 1/19/11, 04:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Are you saying the American Torino would be the Aussie Falcon? Or that the Falcon will probably end up staying in Australia?
Old 1/19/11, 05:37 PM
GT Member

tell me about it
Old 1/19/11, 05:46 PM
GT Member

Are you saying the American Torino would be the Aussie Falcon? Or that the Falcon will probably end up staying in Australia?
That would be nice. One of my favorite childhood memories is looking at the speedo going 140+mph standing up in the back seat (before people cared about seat belts) with my father and uncle up front in my uncle's yellow w black Torino Cobra Jet - going down some country highway outside of Austin. Not smart in retrospect but a fun memory. My dad had a falcon as well as a 66 Mustang 289. My aunt still has her 67 Cougar xr7 today and they think it is great I have my Mustangs. I keep telling them to get a new one. My dad was one of eight. We had lots of Ford's (and later Honda's (haha!)) in our family. Blame it on my late Grandfather for the Ford's. All the kids had Ford's, Mustangs, 2 Torinos, a Gran Torino station wagon and the one Cougar and still buying and driving them today. It is good to see Ford doing so well through this bad economy.

sorry - way off topic but fond memories - back to the Ford GT
Old 1/19/11, 05:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 08SGT1977

That would be nice. One of my favorite childhood memories is looking at the speedo going 140+mph standing up in the back seat (before people cared about seat belts) with my father and uncle up front in my uncle's yellow w black Torino Cobra Jet - going down some country highway outside of Austin. Not smart in retrospect but a fun memory. My dad had a falcon as well as a 66 Mustang 289. My aunt still has her 67 Cougar xr7 today and they think it is great I have my Mustangs. I keep telling them to get a new one. My dad was one of eight. We had lots of Ford's (and later Honda's (haha!)) in our family. Blame it on my late Grandfather for the Ford's. All the kids had Ford's, Mustangs, 2 Torinos, a Gran Torino station wagon and the one Cougar and still buying and driving them today. It is good to see Ford doing so well through this bad economy.

sorry - way off topic but fond memories - back to the Ford GT
Haha dont worry about it, im not one of the guys who really cares where people post. Ford really has shone through the years and ive had a cahnce to ride ina torino before. Felt like i was in an armored tank but in the sense that anything that got in my way would instantly be crushed! But yea those older cougars are beautiful and wouldve been a great thing to see it come back. Maybe a modernized cougar rebadged as a ford? Because chevy is getting the pontiac G8 rebadged as a chevy so ford is gonna need a performance sedan to compete
GM is even bringing back the Regal GS

Last edited by Hawaii 5.0; 1/19/11 at 05:53 PM.
Old 1/19/11, 06:05 PM
GT Member

Absolutely. I did not like the last generation Cougar (not true to name) but I did like the Cougar that had the turbo setup like the SVO Mustang. And I suppose the closest thing to the muscle car cougar (not the luxury sport cougar) was the Mercury Capri rebranded Mustang. That should have been a Cougar. Mercury went bye-bye like Plymouth, Pontiac, and the other brands due to American car co downsizing I heard. A Ford Cougar would still sound appropriate. "At the sign of the cat"!
Old 1/19/11, 06:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Dreaming may be a reality one day. We can all hope.
Old 1/19/11, 07:53 PM
Bullitt Member

They could make a Edsel again.
Old 1/19/11, 08:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

One day there are going to be modernized versions of childhood memories. Sadly i hvnt had the true experience of growing up around american muscle. Im 17 and i barely got into the american muscle scene last year. Ive always had an appreciation for em, specially vettes and mustangs! But i grew up in honolulu and japan due to military family and so i grew u around either high price exotic or "tricked out" ricers. Racing is in my blood though cuz both of my parents raced so naturally i love it now
But yea ive just had some lucky oppurtunities to experience classic cars like the cougar, gto, torino, and so many more icons. And theres one mantra that i could pretty much live by and yall should know this very well

"there no replacement for displacement!"
Old 1/19/11, 08:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Hawaii 5.0
One day there are going to be modernized versions of childhood memories. Sadly i hvnt had the true experience of growing up around american muscle. Im 17 and i barely got into the american muscle scene last year. Ive always had an appreciation for em, specially vettes and mustangs! But i grew up in honolulu and japan due to military family and so i grew u around either high price exotic or "tricked out" ricers. Racing is in my blood though cuz both of my parents raced so naturally i love it now
But yea ive just had some lucky oppurtunities to experience classic cars like the cougar, gto, torino, and so many more icons. And theres one mantra that i could pretty much live by and yall should know this very well

I have 2 sons and the 20 year old loves ricers, was sorry to hear that. The 14 year old likes Mustangs. Will see if he changes when he gets older.
Old 1/19/11, 08:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have 2 sons and the 20 year old loves ricers, was sorry to hear that. The 14 year old likes Mustangs. Will see if he changes when he gets older.
Well there are some imports that are nice when ya mod em. Like imprezas and supras, even the iconic r33 skyline! There are some imports that i have much repect for, but the cars with fart cans and an intake that weight less than 3000 pounds should just be banned from streets. Theyre bouncing the rev limiter and theyre goin bout 10-15 mph
Old 1/19/11, 09:26 PM
Bullitt Member

No love for a modern pinto? Lol

The GT is an animal but I wish ford would make a more affordable 2 seater to directly compete with the vette. Like a new T-bird but much more mean and performance oriented than the last iteration.
Old 1/19/11, 09:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

No love for a modern pinto? Lol

The GT is an animal but I wish ford would make a more affordable 2 seater to directly compete with the vette. Like a new T-bird but much more mean and performance oriented than the last iteration.
Well they are planning on bringing back the ford gt, or at least a newer version. Theyll prolly make several versions to directly compete with the vette. America needs more supercars
Old 1/19/11, 09:49 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Hawaii 5.0

This is a great time to be young. I would have never believed the 2005+ Mustangs, Shelby's, the new Boss, the competition from the Chevy and Chrysler..Enjoy it, time goes fast When I was growing up in the 80's, it was the all about pollution control. So, in many ways, it's like the muscle car wars from before even my time over again. And there is lot's of displacement out there for now at least.

Last edited by 08SGT1977; 1/19/11 at 09:54 PM. Reason: edit - lots of nice imports too - I love Mustangs but I like cars in general. Motor Trend liked the Hyundai V6 over Mustang!

Quick Reply: Ok this could be interesting