The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   General Mustang Chat (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f657/)
-   -   Not sure what to do! (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f657/not-sure-what-do-502924/)

unique95 12/10/11 11:22 AM

Not sure what to do!

Hey guys,
So pretty much i have been given and oportunity my mom ( btw im a 20 yr old girl so my mom and i are very very close).

Right now i have a 95 5.0 with a new paint job and all the boltons.
At this time in my life im looking to get my own place, so i havent been putting money into my stang much lately and i prob wont be able to for a while. My mom offered for my birthday to buy me a new mustang ( she feels the 95 is "unsafe" lol) Heres my problem...

I love my 5.0 its like my child. the sound of the v8 is just about amazing and will make me smile on a bad day ( im sure many can agree)

Yet here stands an offer for a 2011 mustang, only set back is she will only buy the v6 =[
iv done some reaserch and see that they are actually pretty darn fast with over 300 hp and the mpg is crazy for a stang.

so my problem as it stands. I would love to have a 2011 but is the v6 gonna make me happy? or should i stick it out with my 5.0 for a year or so till i have the money to add to that?

help! i need ideas! of v6 owners and anyone who knows about them!

THANKS

CCTking 12/10/11 11:35 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I had the same dilemma but i was forced to make a decision. I had an 02 4.6gt, full bolt-ons and i loved it! May not have been able to keep with vettes and the like but dammit it was my car, i did the work myself, and it sounded like an animal!!
Sadly i was hit by a drunk driver and my old car was totaled.
I had to get another car and my parents got me a 2012v6. I love it, it feels faster, handles like a dream and rides like one too. As much as i like this car, i miss that old v8 rumble and the kind of looks and respect i got.

If it were me i would be trying to find a place instead of gettin a new car. Ut thats just me

AlsCobra 12/10/11 12:28 PM

If you go from V8 to V6 you will regret it. Even though the 2011 V6 is a better car. If its a money thing I would probably try a slightly used GT. 2010 maybe. If its insurance or just what mom says, go for the free sixer just because it will be worth more if you decide to upgrade later.

unique95 12/10/11 02:37 PM

Thats true im really scared to get it then regret it. Esp since im so used to doing the mods my self ( well with my bf) that i feel if i get the v6 im not going to do much to it, I hear the parts cost more and are more complex. On the other hand i really would enjoy the better gas milege.. Plus my bf has 2 fox bodys that I could always drive if i feel the need for a v8.

Im just not sure whats the better idea.
I guess it comes to
1. free 2011 v6 with good gas ( but its a v6)
2. my 5.0 just bad on gas...

whats your opinion on the 2011 or newer bolt ons and all?

( its just hard to turn down a free car-but hard to give up my 5.0)

SilverSkoundrel 12/10/11 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by unique95
Thats true im really scared to get it then regret it. Esp since im so used to doing the mods my self ( well with my bf) that i feel if i get the v6 im not going to do much to it, I hear the parts cost more and are more complex. On the other hand i really would enjoy the better gas milege.. Plus my bf has 2 fox bodys that I could always drive if i feel the need for a v8.

Im just not sure whats the better idea.
I guess it comes to
1. free 2011 v6 with good gas ( but its a v6)
2. my 5.0 just bad on gas...

whats your opinion on the 2011 or newer bolt ons and all?

( its just hard to turn down a free car-but hard to give up my 5.0)

So if u get the sixer u don't get to keep the v8 right?

unique95 12/10/11 03:07 PM

Nope =[

but my boyfriend (who i live with so I see the car everyday) has two 5.0s both foxbodys so i would have a v8 to drive if i needed the feeling lol but its not the same as mine. im really torn on what to do....

SilverSkoundrel 12/10/11 05:22 PM

Nope =[

but my boyfriend (who i live with so I see the car everyday) has two 5.0s both foxbodys so i would have a v8 to drive if i needed the feeling lol but its not the same as mine. im really torn on what to do....

Get ur bf to pick one of his get rid of one n get urs

unique95 12/10/11 06:13 PM

Thats a good idea... I'm not so sure he's gonna think so lol

Shelby08 12/10/11 06:44 PM

I'm with Al on this one....would your mom go with a 2010 GT? it's not the 5.0 but it's better than a V6.....but if it comes down to it it sounds like you're going to have to settle on the V6 if you get it...don't settle it's not worth it...instant gratification only lasts so long..

CCTking 12/10/11 07:42 PM

The v6 is fun but i regret not waiting till next August to get a 5.0. Patience is a virtue

SilverSkoundrel 12/10/11 08:46 PM

Your all v8 whores lol no offense

CCTking 12/10/11 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by SilverSkoundrel10
Your all v8 whores lol no offense

Anything v8 >:]
Naturally aspirated, turbo, supercharged, bored and stroked, ported, 3.2L- 7.0L, but most of all......

The Juice :D

cpotts13 12/10/11 10:41 PM

Get the v6, get your own place, then trade up to a 5.0

BUT I would only get the v6 if it was the "premium", with a 6 speed.

Go test drive one, see how it compares to your car now..

Twin Turbo 12/11/11 06:33 AM

Me? I'd go for a 2010 V8

Take a test drive and see what you think. The 2010+ cars drive sooooooooooooooooo much nicer than the older cars, even the early S197s like mine.

Nice to be in a position where mum's gonna buy you a new car though :)

VTXFrank 12/11/11 07:05 AM

I have a 2011 GT. It's in my sig.

Here's the thing. A free 300+HP car? I'd be all over it. Stock, that Mustang is probably making more power than your car. However, it is a bit heavier. Still though, with an intake, tune and exhaust, those V6's sound awesome, more like an exotic car than a V6 Mustang, and they haul a$$ while still getting great gas mileage. And it IS a much safer car.

Here's the rub though. A base model 5.0 cost just a tad bit more than the 3.7L sixxer Premium. If your mom is also paying your insurance, I wouldn't be disrespectful by trying to force a V8.

The 3.7L Mustang is no friggin joke. First thing you would want to do is get a set of 3.55 gears put in the rear to get her moving better. Then an intake and tune. The stock gears on the V6, which allows it to get that 30mpg rating, really holds that car back from what it's capable of. If you get a desire for more power, there are 3.7L super charger options out there that put the car at 400+ HP and into the 11's in the 1/4.

The V6 Mustang is no longer a car to sniff at. It out handles the 5.0L due to it's lighter weight in the nose. So if corner carving is something you like to do while driving, the V6 is an even better option.

Not to mention the fact that going from your present Stang to a 2010+ S197 is going to be like going from a Chevette to a Corvette handling and material wise. I'd be willing to bet that unless you've done some engine upgrades beyond what you've stated here, the sixxer would smoke your current GT.

Personally, I'd get the V6. A superior vehicle in every single way compared to your current ride. Look past the sound of your V8 and look at the whole picture here. Cheaper insurance than an '11 GT, cheaper fuel costs than either your current ride or an '11 GT and, with the money you'll be saving in fuel, you can get out on your own quicker and have a more dependable car for work/school.

Good luck!

daddyfixer 12/11/11 09:37 AM

You owe it to yourself to GO TEST DRIVE THE SIX and satisfy any doubts that you may have about it. You said that you and your mom are (CLOSE ), well then make her happy and let her buy you the six, but do not sell or try to trade the 5. in. Just store the 5. and do not let your boy friend rob parts . Boy friends come and go , but a 5.0 mustang is in your heart forever. LOL Besides after you get your place and you get better off financialy you can Supercharge the six, and that you won't regret. Your still young and you could wind up owning many a mustang later on.

unique95 12/11/11 02:01 PM

All of your points have really helped. My first form of action before I decide yes or no... I'm gonna test drive the sixer. And I'll go from there as far as the storing my 5.0 or seeing if my mom would go for the new 5.0. Thanks for the help I'm gonna test drive one this week!

CCTking 12/11/11 04:24 PM

All of your points have really helped. My first form of action before I decide yes or no... I'm gonna test drive the sixer. And I'll go from there as far as the storing my 5.0 or seeing if my mom would go for the new 5.0. Thanks for the help I'm gonna test drive one this week!

Good luck!! Keep us updated (:

ford20 12/12/11 08:31 PM

I has 2 V8s prior to my Mustang (351 and a 4.6 2V) and to be honest what I miss the most is the sound. That being said I would go for the V6, first off it is free, it gets close to 30 MPG and it has more power than your GT. If you throw a set of gears in the rear like Frank said it will turn the V6 into a different animal. As far as the sound goes look into mufflers for your car, I got a set of FR500S Mufflers on my car now and it sounds like a V8 (almost) with a slight grunt and a deep roar to it so look at some videos. I know it seems hard to go from a V8 to a V6 but these aren't the V6s like I have, out of the box it is most likely faster than your GT is. To me it is a no brainer get the V6 and in 5 or so years trade it in on a new V8, you will not regret it, you and your BF can do a bunch of mods to the V6 and they are in some cases easier to work on than your 5.0

Check out American Muscle and take a look at their V6 they just ran 11s with their car. Imagine the look on your Bfs face when you two went to the drag strip and he lost to you in your V6 lol

IMO the choice is easy a Free Brand New Mustang done deal :metal:

TheDarkSide 12/12/11 10:03 PM

Smartest move is to test drive it. I have driven not only Stangs, but many other cars, with varying engine sizes. I will agree there is NO sound like that of a V8 rumble. But the new V6s aren't any different really when it comes to simple bolt on mods, the power and mpg are there. Plus, if you slap on the right pipes and mufflers, you might get near the rumble.

Also, the whole smokign the older GTs with a new six is a pretty sweet treat. Kinda like salt in the wound type of thing.