The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   General Mustang Chat (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f657/)
-   -   My son learns to drive my Mustang! (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f657/my-son-learns-drive-my-mustang-523458/)

slowjoe24 7/15/13 09:20 PM

My son learns to drive my Mustang!

http://carsandcoffeetalk.blogspot.co...ys-to-men.html

I had to share the story of his first lesson at driving a 5 speed......please share your story if you have a good one!!

Joe

Krohn 7/17/13 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by slowjoe24 (Post 6657526)
http://carsandcoffeetalk.blogspot.co...ys-to-men.html

I had to share the story of his first lesson at driving a 5 speed......please share your story if you have a good one!!

Joe

Man that is exciting! I hope he continues in his car passion. It definitely seems to be a dying breed nowadays.

slowjoe24 7/17/13 08:16 AM

You know I hear that alot these days.......seriously, are kids these days realy not into to driving??

CCTking 7/17/13 08:47 AM

Im not a kid anymore but i remember since the first time i got behind the wheel that i loved driving. Alot of my friends however hate it. I think i should start a taxi service :jester:

tukatz 7/17/13 09:07 AM

We have a friend who has two teenage sons. One is car crazy and the other couldn't care less.

Krohn 7/17/13 12:18 PM

Out of all my friends and even those I barely knew back in High School... One, yes One!, was into cars. The others either went as far a sound system or big chrome wheels! And I went to a country club high school... kids had money!
Now I do think I remember one kid having an old beat up 240sx with a giant can on the back...
... but that's about it!
Sad really..
Ref: '08 graduating class of 480 ppl, 5A school.

Stevedotmil 7/17/13 12:47 PM

My oldest son is almost 18 and he still doesn't have his regular license. He just isn't into it. I told him it will not be a big deal until a girl asks him if he has a car and if he can take her somewhere. His younger brother is all about cars. I have taught them both to drive my 5.0 just in case they had to in an emergency. That was pretty frightening. I yelled a lot.....after I was nice.

SilverSkoundrel 7/17/13 01:24 PM

dad tried to teach me stick in a 95 f150 straight 6, 7-8 years ago now haha every car ive had/owned since then has been standard except for one Honda accord I had for like a month.

shurtual86 7/17/13 01:28 PM

My dad taught me to drive a stick shift when I was 10years old, but since I couldn't drive for 6 years, I forgot and when I got a valet job had to re learn it

SilverSkoundrel 7/17/13 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by shurtual86 (Post 6658283)
My dad taught me to drive a stick shift when I was 10years old, but since I couldn't drive for 6 years, I forgot and when I got a valet job had to re learn it

is a valet job as cool as it sounds?

shurtual86 7/17/13 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by SilverSkoundrel (Post 6658293)

is a valet job as cool as it sounds?

Lol yesh!

SilverSkoundrel 7/17/13 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by shurtual86 (Post 6658296)
Lol yesh!

:drool::metal:

slowjoe24 7/17/13 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by shurtual86 (Post 6658283)

Yikes.............bet that was scary!!

pebkac 7/18/13 08:06 AM

Taught my then 15 year old how to drive my 06. He was so scared he would scratch it or wreck it that he would only do it in the neighborhood... He bought his Fox last year and now drives it and mine like a champ... As far as teaching them. Staying calm is the key or you will only frustrate them and cause them to 1 give up or 2 go to someone else to teach them...

slowjoe24 7/18/13 08:48 AM

Amen on the staying calm...............maybe I will do okay on our 2nd adventure! :) Fun times though!

Scuba-Matt 7/18/13 12:33 PM

Out of my 5 boys, Two are car crazy. The other 3 could care less. And out of the 2 girls one is car crazy and the other isn't.
They all learned to drive a car or truck at 15 years old. Not on the public roads but on the dirt trails of our acreage.

pebkac 7/18/13 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba-Matt (Post 6658777)
Out of my 5 boys, Two are car crazy. The other 3 could care less. And out of the 2 girls one is car crazy and the other isn't.
They all learned to drive a car or truck at 15 years old. Not on the public roads but on the dirt trails of our acreage.

I guess I should clarify....15 years old with permit on public roads...

Scuba-Matt 7/19/13 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by pebkac (Post 6659016)
I guess I should clarify....15 years old with permit on public roads...

Thats good,
My wife wouldn't let them get permits until they were 16 and had a B or above average in school.

pebkac 7/19/13 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba-Matt (Post 6659341)
Thats good,
My wife wouldn't let them get permits until they were 16 and had a B or above average in school.

Good mom and dad! We got lucky and didn't have to hold him hostage. A's/B's are the only acceptable grades.... Made him buy his first also at 15. He saved and saved and then sold his 4 wheeler he bought himself also by saving......

wanted33 7/21/13 12:43 PM

Great story Joe. I can't pin point the time when I became a car guy or gearhead as some call us. Being an older guy, seeing the old 409's, Hemi's, and 396's on the streets had a lot to do with it though.

We lived on a farm when I was a kid, and Dad would let me change the gears in the old farm trucks from the time I could stand next to the column. Then around the time I could actually reach the pedals, and see over the hood I was running water, food, etc. to the fields. Man, those were fun times.