General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

My 06 mustang GT got side swiped yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 12/8/19, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 06 mustang GT got side swiped yesterday.

The car got hit in the side,driver's door and rear quarter panel were crushed in,I was able to drive home.does not appear to have any frame damage.my question is that the car has 150,000 miles on it.super nice car,has cams,headers,flowmasters,a lot of bolt on parts not to mention exterior mods.the guy that hit me had full coverage.im worried that there going to try to total it and not pay me for what the car is really worth.i live in Florida.can someone share some input on this.im really worried,id rather have it fixed.
Old 12/8/19, 08:10 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,787 Posts
Sorry that your car got side swiped by the other driver. Knowing the other driver was clearly at fault, it's going to come down to the other driver's insurance company to agree upon a settlement with your insurance company. It's also going to depend on what your car's market value is going to be worth with having 150,000 miles on it. However, you're not going to really know for certain until you get an estimate for what it's going to cost for repairs and towards any replacement parts involved. That being said, I would get estimates from 3 different collision centers and provide each to your insurance company and then let them handle it from there with the other driver's insurance company. In the meantime, I hope everything works out for you and wish you the best of luck
Old 12/8/19, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Sorry that your car got side swiped by the other driver. Knowing the other driver was clearly at fault, it's going to come down to the other driver's insurance company to agree upon a settlement with your insurance company. It's also going to depend on what your car's market value is going to be worth with having 150,000 miles on it. However, you're not going to really know for certain until you get an estimate for what it's going to cost for repairs and towards any replacement parts involved. That being said, I would get estimates from 3 different collision centers and provide each to your insurance company and then let them handle it from there with the other driver's insurance company. In the meantime, I hope everything works out for you and wish you the best of luck
Thanks for the info I really appreciate it,tha tha good advice.
Old 12/8/19, 08:48 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,787 Posts
Anytime
Old 12/9/19, 12:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 1,082 Posts
"Totaled" means they are going to pay you the "fair market value" of the car because it would cost more to repair than it's worth, according to the "book value" which is probably blue book. My rough SWAG is that book value is probably around $5K and it is going to cost more than that to repair.

The "book" does not give any value for modifications. I sincerely doubt that you will be able to talk them into paying more than book value due to the modifications. Sorry but that's how it works, unless you buy a special "collector car" insurance policy.

If it is worth more than that to you, then I'm pretty sure you can take that money and have it fixed (you might have to also "buy" the car from them for scrap value, since they are basically buying if from you when they give you the check for the total value).

I don't think there is any way you will get either insurance company to give you more than it is worth according to their numbers, regardless of the repair estimates or modifications.
The following users liked this post:
BluedemonS197 (12/9/19)
Old 12/9/19, 11:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Itemize a list of modifications. You won't get full price, of course, but that's how it'd have to be. You can't salvage the parts, as the stock pieces have to be exchanged back. Otherwise they'll just reduce the amount of the check. That's the way that works.

The cost difference is the key here. If the headers cost 400, and new stock manifolds cost 400, there's 0 difference, and you get no additional... but no lesser... benefit from having them on the car. If the wheels are worth 1000 to replace, but stock replacements can be had for $400, you can rightly claim you're owed an additional $600. And on like that.

Now... if you had stock parts to stick on the car and get those parts yourself, well... there ya go. Go swappin'. They can't say their car isn't worth the same as they said it is, it's stock, just like they wrote the check for.

Maybe a trip to a pick a part is in order...

They're 'just a Mustang' in everyone's eyes except ours. It is unfortunate, but it's the truth. But having that list of mods, their cost and differences thereto might get you a few more dollars.

---

Thinkin' about this, Awesome has a couple of things you can't get anywhere anymore. The Shelby grille is no longer available, nor the GTA mufflers. I can't even come up with a number for those if replacement is required. Definitely more than her GT stock stuff was. Heck, her wheels cost less 'back then' than they do now, and those are all reconditions, not new! Pretty sure the suspension stuff is cheaper than stock though... Ford does like their pennies, after all...

I hope I don't get to find out any of that...

---

Also... you shouldn't be involving your insurance unless the other party is simply not going to work with you. They really don't have any stake in this otherwise, so involving them just muddles the waters. Deal with the other party's insurance directly.

Further... you ought to get a police report filed, just in case the other party suddenly remembers you were the one who hit them, magically enough. If you've not already gotten one, that is. It happens, unfortunately, people say "oh, no I'm at fault!", then later you hear they're going after your insurance. Gotta love people.

---

One final thing... and this is me thinkin' truly what I'd be doing hardcore. If I had been *wronged/property damaged* by another party... there's no way those parts aren't getting fully covered above the cost of the 'just a Mustang' settlement. Itemized list out, replacement values stated, and that's it. No, you're not getting the stock value out of the price. No, I don't care the car has to have wheels on it. I was just driving along, and your customer, the covered party in this, HIT ME. I HAVE BEEN WRONGED. You will properly compensate me to get that car *replaced exactly* except paint color, I'll grant. Fully. Or this never gets settled.

I am not one to just 'let it go.' Ask Pep Boys. That was a very pretty penny they paid to fix what they damaged that time...

---

Hope some of that helps, but that'd be about what I'm gonna dang sure try to get done. Good luck to ya, and sorry to hear about this.

Last edited by houtex; 12/10/19 at 12:03 AM.
BluedemonS197 (12/12/19)
Old 12/12/19, 12:50 PM

My 06 gt got side swiped

Thanks to everyone that gave me input.i really appreciate you guys taking the time to read my post.Houtex i appreciate your thoughts.i was kinda thinking about that to.in my eyes the car is priceless,of course the insurance companies don't care and I will not let my baby be pissed on.one way or the other.

Last edited by BluedemonS197; 12/12/19 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12/13/19, 09:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
Pics of the damage?
Old 12/13/19, 04:33 PM

Not sure how to, I'll try and figure it out real quick

Last edited by BluedemonS197; 12/13/19 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12/13/19, 10:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Oh, c'mon. That'll buff right out!

OW. What? Somebody had to do it!

---

Hm. Door is a given, but the innards (glass, motors, panel) aren't, they seem good. Mirror is needed. Doors can be had for 300-500 on ebay, LKQ wouldn't be far off, and they'd be doing that, insurance wouldn't bat an eye.

Lower 3/4 quarter panel would be a simple thing from LKQ as well. They deliver those all the time. I'd guess 500 for the 'side clip'.

Wheel can be reconditioned, tire acquired. Probably 300-500 total on that, but maybe ya get a good deal on this.

One can hope the axle is not damaged. If so... well, there's an answer for that too, but it's 300-500 as well.

Current worst case, we're lookin' at 1500-2000 in parts, and that's just the start. It's the labor that's going to hurt. That quarter especially. Lotta fitting and patching, and who knows what else underneath needs doin'. And the paint, that's not exactly free here either, and they're not cheap with that stuff these days...

Gonna be a close call... Car's probably worth $4500 to $5000 (round about) (a guess based on my car's worth, similar specs) on the face of it, mods notwithstanding, so the threshold is something like $3200 or so. Not much margin... but it might make it, as long as it stays fairly superficial as it looks to be. Top looks good, and I don't think the frame got any hit on it. Might just make it... this time.

Good luck.

Last edited by houtex; 12/13/19 at 10:28 PM.
BluedemonS197 (12/14/19)
Old 12/13/19, 10:34 PM
GT Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
I would think that as long as the sill plate and rocker are straight. And not much damage to the door jam it shouldn't be too bad. Could get a used door with the mirror already on it. A quarter panel is the only thing I would get new. A used door would most likely be a better piece than some replacement door skin from China and much less work. The door will need to come off weather you skin it or replace with a used piece. Good luck and hope that it all works out.
BluedemonS197 (12/14/19)
Old 12/14/19, 08:05 AM

Lol that's a lot of buffing,no really the door still opens and closes and the window still works,the door jam some how survived,mmainly just a new or used door ,rear quarter panel.i did hit a foot deep pot hole.i noticed some fluid leaking underneath the other day but I climed under the car and found no damage done to frame or under carriage,I actually drove it home that day and it drove fine.
Old 12/14/19, 08:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

That jamb is bent up. And as such, I'm betting that the entire quarter gets replaced. That's from the top of the windshield, over the window and to the rear glass. Top to bottom, and then to the tail. It'll require removing the interior for that side (not even difficult) and taking out the side and rear glass. Drill out the old spots, pull the panel. Place the new panel with the seam/glue, spot weld it as needed. Then body work, paint and put glass/interior back in. Hang door, adjust, boom. Just like factory. There's really no where to section it if the jamb is tweaked.

If the jamb is surviving/fixable, then yeah, they can probably section/skin it right behind that jamb's bend, and just below that 'hip' line under the quarter glass... Not sure you're saving any labor/work there, but it could be done...

I'd be curious what happens if you/they go forward with it. :hm:
Old 12/15/19, 08:39 PM

Yeah the door is ok,I was thinking a cut around the door jam and a cut along the body line under side window not sure if that's the way to go or if that whole section has to go.i looked one up online and it looks like it comes with the whole rear quarter from above the side window trunk and the whole door jam, around 600 bucks,but I think I could get away with just a section of quarter.