Hall Of Fame Homepage Journal Type & Other Threads of Merit By Admin Invitation Only
View Poll Results: Do you prefer us lobbing Potatoes or Grenades to take care of spammers?
Lob potatoes to just stun them
11.11%
Lob grenades and remove them from the TMS pool permanently
88.89%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Mustangs Coast to Coast

Search this Thread

Old 12/16/11, 01:29 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 588 Likes on 422 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

Also I don't think the Optima batteries are good for high heat and those LT headers were frying the gel inside them or whatever it is. You could hear the battery whistling out the top by the posts after extended use.
I don't think they are all they're cracked up to be anyway. Give me an old school Interstate and call it a day.
Old 12/16/11, 01:35 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
I don't think they are all they're cracked up to be anyway. Give me an old school Interstate and call it a day.
Yep
Old 12/16/11, 01:52 PM
Post *****

I think it was both.

The parasitic loss was at the fuse box I had created in the trunk for the backup cam, crossover, fuel pump. That had gotten wet with a leak through the third brake light and it was shorting but not causing fuses to fail.

Also I don't think the Optima batteries are good for high heat and those LT headers were frying the gel inside them or whatever it is. You could hear the battery whistling out the top by the posts after extended use.
I always watch for threads about the battery problems to see if they have ever figured out why some fail some don't. Mine's coming up on 4 yrs and so far so good. Just started the other day for the first time in 4 weeks storage and it fired right up. Last winter I waited for 6-7 weeks and it had died but took a charge fine. So 4 weeks seems to be the ticket.
Old 12/16/11, 02:09 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/15...insite#content

Old 12/16/11, 02:17 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Scothew
Oh i am far from being in the mood to deal with BS today but apparently im gonna have to.
Comforting thought for you man. I'm off all weekend and go on days Monday. So not much top notch contribution from me till probably next week. Enjoy it while it lasts sucka.
Old 12/16/11, 02:20 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Nah. They don't make em like they used to. Been running an optima in my Tahoe for 3 years now without a hitch. Cobra will get one eventually.
Old 12/16/11, 03:12 PM
Post *****

That was more than a new Mustang cost at the time, but can you imagine if a man would have had the foresight to have taken out a huge loan and bought as many as he could and put them in storage? What a treasure trove that would be today.

Hell of a timing chain..

Lee - The timing chain setup is unusual. It looks like the crank chain goes to a cam sprocket like in a pushrod. Then the smaller sprocket off that drives the overhead cams. Next to both cams is another sprocket which I assume are balance shafts - or could they both be tensioners?
So the question remains what is the first chain from the crank turning?

EDIT: Found it - accessory driveshaft - meaning oil pump I guess. Apparently no balance shafts.

To keep the valve train all in sync and running smoothly at 7500 rpm was the job of two timing chains. The small one ran between the crank and the accessory driveshaft, located where the original FE cam ran in the block. Now the second chain was just flat out long at six feet. It runs in a T-shape and is driven at half the crankshaft speed from the accessory driveshaft. It then runs through a fixed idler and camshaft on the driver's side, across a 20+" guide designed to control chain whip, over to the passenger's side camshaft and adjustable idler controlling chain tightness, then back to the accessory driveshaft chain sprocket. This camshaft drive system was deemed by the Ford engineers to be less complicated and easier to field service than any heavy, costly, noisy, and excessively complicated gear driven system. All the chains, guides and idlers are lubricated through splash and oil throw off from the front main, accessory driveshaft, and the outer cam journal supports. Keeping all this rotating mass covered was done using a two-piece cover system with a 0.090" thick steel plate gasketed to the block and heads, while a beautifully sand cast cover was attached to the front.
http://www.supermotors.net/articles/...sue01-a2-1.php

Last edited by cdynaco; 12/16/11 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12/16/11, 03:35 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
i think it runs a no lobe type cam in the stock spot .. to drive the distributor and oil pump ..
Old 12/16/11, 03:49 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I went with an Interstate from Sams and everything's been fine.

Starts like a champ after a month of sitting. Even when the car was stock with the Motorcraft battery it would be dead after a month.
Old 12/16/11, 03:51 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Also people had said that since Optima starting making these batteries in Mexico they've gone to ****.
Old 12/16/11, 03:53 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by HOSS429
i think it runs a no lobe type cam in the stock spot .. to drive the distributor and oil pump ..

The Cammer was based on the 427 side-oiler block with cross-bolted main bearing caps. This block was shared with the normal production 427 (if you can call any Ford 427 a "normal production" engine). It differs in two ways, however. A cast boss and drilled passage through the water jacket at the rear of the block drained oil from the cylinder heads. Since an accessory driveshaft is used in place of the normal camshaft, only bearing locations #1 and #2 are used. The remaining three locations are fitted with steel bushings to seal off the lubrication system and provide oil passages to the overhead valve train.

The normal timing chain ran to an idler shaft in place of the normal camshaft. This shaft continued to drive the distributor and oil pump. A sprocket on this shaft drove a second timing chain a whopping 6 feet long which snaked around the camshafts and various idler wheels. The accessory shaft is further supported by a ball bearing in the front cover. Due to oscillations in the long timing chain at speed, it proved difficult to time the camshafts. Operation in excess of 7000 rpm also taxed the oiling system, but clever engine builders found solutions to the problems.
More info...

http://phystutor.tripod.com/stang/engines/427sohc.html

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 12/16/11 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12/16/11, 03:56 PM
Post *****

Also people had said that since Optima starting making these batteries in Mexico they've gone to ****.

gone to beans?

Old 12/16/11, 05:36 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah my father had one in his corvette and it was junk after 18 months. The delco in it now is almost 6 years old and going strong.

Originally Posted by cdynaco

gone to beans?

Lol
Old 12/16/11, 05:38 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra

Comforting thought for you man. I'm off all weekend and go on days Monday. So not much top notch contribution from me till probably next week. Enjoy it while it lasts sucka.
Ty al u are the shining star in my hurricane today.
Old 12/16/11, 05:56 PM
legacy Tms Member

i know there is a " contributors " type secret forum on here but is there a " senior member " secret forum as well .. if not there needs to be .. a place where long time members or members with substantial post count can secretely meet and discuss other members or anything site related and not be subjected to normal site rules .. lets start a senior member ( secret ) thread / forum
Old 12/16/11, 05:58 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by HOSS429
i know there is a " contributors " type secret forum on here but is there a " senior member " secret forum as well .. if not there needs to be .. a place where long time members or members with substantial post count can secretely meet and discuss other members or anything site related and not be subjected to normal site rules .. lets start a senior member ( secret ) thread / forum
Ahh, the good ol' days.
Old 12/16/11, 06:06 PM
legacy Tms Member

Ahh, the good ol' days.
yes ... we`d still be there if they had`nt dumped on us .. loved streetfire
Old 12/16/11, 07:40 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

I don't know how much VW has spent on this ad campaign, but it has to be a metric **** ton because every time I flip the channel this commercial is on. No telling how many times I've seen it in the last 2 weeks.

Its alright right up until the end when that red headed **** opens her mouth, and then I have the sudden urge to smack the **** out of her.
Old 12/16/11, 10:29 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

I've had about enough of the self righteous, condescending d bags around here. I'm just going to start calling them on it, ****'em.
Old 12/16/11, 10:45 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Ooo ooo me me!

Quick Reply: Mustangs Coast to Coast