Hall Of Fame Homepage Journal Type & Other Threads of Merit By Admin Invitation Only
View Poll Results: Do you prefer us lobbing Potatoes or Grenades to take care of spammers?
Lob potatoes to just stun them
11.11%
Lob grenades and remove them from the TMS pool permanently
88.89%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Mustangs Coast to Coast

Search this Thread

Old 9/10/08, 10:31 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
You haven't posted a picture of her on quite a while.
Sorry, she doesn't usually like having her picture taken. You should have seen her chasing the moth around my room though last night. It was better than cable!
Old 9/10/08, 10:34 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Arin,

Remember that episode of Seinfeld where Jerry, Elaine, and George go to India for Sue Ellen Mishke's wedding to Pintar, an Indian guy. Well during the episode, the backwards episode I guess its called because the story was told in reverese chronologically, anyway during the episode Jerry and Elaine visit Pintars parents in New York to tell them they are going to India, and Pintars parents who are from India say that they aren't going to India because its such a dreadful dirty country. Then Pintars father says if I went to India I would never go to the bathroom the entire time I was there. Never. And then he says "Do you know its the only country on earth to still have the plague! The plague."

Anyway. I just remembered that. Most of my sociological studies are directly related to Seinfeld episodes anyway.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 9/10/08 at 10:59 PM.
Old 9/10/08, 10:56 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
HAHAHAHAHA I don't remember that episode but I have been known to use the plague line in the past!

I really never want to go back there.
Old 9/10/08, 11:07 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Hey guys, I bust my rear for a day getting ready for a hurricane and ya'll hit 2000 posts.

Woot Woot Ed!

Hey David you still out there. David I once had to write a two page paper on why 1+1=2. Then the professor told us that Some people have taken an entire book to prove it.
that has to be the lamest paper topic ever,

Originally Posted by cheekie
Being so close to the storms every year would drive me crazy, it is such a worry
we get "lots" here, but nearly always they fade out before they reach us, and people go crazy for nothing

Originally Posted by future9er24
hahahahahaha Man.. I knew school would take away a fair bit of my TMS time, but this is pretty ridiculous. I just spent an hour drafting a freaking pyramid. not a fancy Egyptian one, a boring plain one. like literally, the shape. also, drafting without a drafting table is a B**** and an half!

I miss my mechanical drawing class, I'll have to post pics of my houses, if I can remember it
gary, I want one of those!!!

Originally Posted by future9er24
Thatch kinda like the ones at school. We only have the one bar on ours. Essentially the same as the vertical one on yours, but oriented horizontally.

I like yours better. Still, as my teacher said to us the first day "this class is ****. this class is boring. You will hate it, but you will do it"

despite the **** ness of the class, i still feel more motivated to do well in it than most of the classes ive taken in my life. I love this new school, I love my new major, and I love where things are going career/schoolwise right now
good for you, I would have like to do the architecture thing, but the field is so restricted, it's near impossible to get in anymore. to many artistic types designing impractical stuff taking the spots of guys like me who wanted to draw real houses. to get in, you had to submit an art portfolio, and I found out that they wanted many different types of art, painting, charcoal, sculpture, etc, why do I need that for architecture?
Old 9/10/08, 11:09 PM
NTTAWWT

my new favorite of metallica's:
The Day That Never Comes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mYDyJcLwMU
Old 9/10/08, 11:16 PM
Post *****

I've seen the work of these new architects. With homes costing over $200 a foot in $100 a foot markets, their sculptural visions will become increasingly less prevelant. Most homes built are done so from stock drawings that architecture firms sell in bulk. For a redraw fee you can get it customized. Most custom drawings with average architecture firms run about $1.50 to $2.00 /sq.ft. and thats not counting site consultation. I can draw useable, beautiful custom homes with my ancient pencil and drafting arm for $0.75/sq.ft. all day long and feel like I'm stealing from them it's so easy. I have very serioulsy considered getting my AIBD (American Institute of Building Design) stamp so I can charge more. I've got 11 years on the job and have designed over 150 homes, all of which were actually built.

My long term goal is to become versed in autocad, convert my best plans to computer files, get my AIBD stamp, and sell these plans online. I know I could do it. These plans are really good. So many people come to me with plans that some idiot drew up or they got off the internet and I have to fix the plan or scrap it and work from one of my own.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 9/10/08 at 11:19 PM.
Old 9/10/08, 11:19 PM
Post *****

WOW!!!

150/150, thats pretty impressive Gary I can't imagine the satisfaction of looking at a drawing you did of a house and knowing "someone lives there now"

Old 9/10/08, 11:25 PM
Post *****

I'm probably a little cocky about home design. I'll tell people I know what there house looks like before its built, or before I even finish the drawings. I tease my dad, who I work with, about it. He says where's the plan for the Smith's, you've got to finish it, and I'll say I already have, it's here, in my noodle.

Obviously an Amadeus movie reference, but true none the less. If there is one thing I do really well fellas, other than...you know...it's designing homes. I can put people in their price range, with what they want, at the square footage that they need. It's bad to be this cocky. But I've got over 65 Parade of Homes awards to back me up. Including 4 Best of Show awards in those past 10 years.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 9/10/08 at 11:31 PM.
Old 9/10/08, 11:28 PM
Post *****

lol, tell folks not to hate you for being so good

Thats what I do when it comes to everything in life
Old 9/10/08, 11:28 PM
NTTAWWT

here's the best out of the 3 that I've done. the class's professor said he wouldnt let anyone else do one this complex, because he didnt think they could handle it. in order to do the elevations, I had to make a roof plan, apparently the first one that was done in the class. I really enjoyed making this.
sorry the pics came out light
front elevation, rear elevation, 1st floor, 2nd floor
I had to post the actual blueprints, I can't seem to find the tube with my originals in it
Attached Thumbnails Mustangs Coast to Coast-s5032127.jpg   Mustangs Coast to Coast-s5032128.jpg   Mustangs Coast to Coast-s5032131.jpg   Mustangs Coast to Coast-s5032130.jpg  

Last edited by StangMahn; 9/10/08 at 11:31 PM.
Old 9/10/08, 11:30 PM
NTTAWWT

that's impressive gary, sounds like I need to come to texas, check out your work! and a ride in the stang
Old 9/10/08, 11:30 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
That's awesome Gary!
Old 9/10/08, 11:31 PM
Post *****

Wow thats awesome...

I remember having to make blueprints for a house in the 4th grade, not as intricate as yours there, but I did have a Helicopter/Harrier pad in the front yard
Old 9/10/08, 11:34 PM
NTTAWWT

haha! i really like this one, i kept thinking about the perfect location for it the whole time, near my godparents place on lake gaston, the home office in on the back of the house, second floor, right in the middle, with a view that would make you think you're the king! panoramic view around, and skylights on top
Old 9/10/08, 11:37 PM
Post *****

That is huge David. What is that about 6,000 sq.ft.? Have you had a lot pf experience in it? Because that's pretty **** good if you haven't. And the hardest thing is the roof plan. I usually find it easiest as I am a 3D spacial thinker, to lay the first floor down, then the second floor on velum over that, and then draw the roof plan on top of that. If you have all the same pitches its quite easy. There is only on e way for the roof to layout if you're using say all 8 on 12 pitch. The valleys and such are always at 45 degree angles from above. But when you vary pitches, that becomes the trick. Many a good draftsman I know, has to draw all four side views first to draw the roof. I will usually draw floor plan, roof plan, and the elevations last.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 9/10/08 at 11:39 PM.
Old 9/10/08, 11:42 PM
NTTAWWT

That's what I did, all the pitches are the same. I made a sketch of the bottom plan, sized it up, and went to work on paper. I had to make some changes, but it stayed true to the sketch for the most part. Then the second floor, roof plan, landscaping (which included the multi-tier deck off the back, it wouldnt fit on the paper, lol), and finally the elevations. I dont remember the exact sq. ft, but it is enourmous. It's kinda the dream house type of place, open spaces, lot's of creature comforts. Upstairs has a nice library, and a large den for a pool table and bar, couches, etc

eventually, I'll get back to Lake Gaston, and I'll take some pictures to show you guys my ideal place. I can't wait to get back there.
Old 9/10/08, 11:49 PM
Post *****

David I drew a very serious large house like that when I was about 18 right before I left for college. I can't find it though, I think my Mom might have it. It was seriously big, but it encompassed so many things that I thought were cool at the time. Like a two story library with those cool ladders that roll around the perimeter to get the books up high. A master bedroom with an elevated bed in the center that you would have to step up hal a dozen steps to get to, and it had columns going up at each corner and curtains that could be drawn on all 4 sides and a fireplace at one end of the room accessible from the same raise platform. A large gothic style entry with double stair that goes up from each side of the entry only to meet again at the top. You know, Hollywood knid of stuff probably. Anyway. Its very fun stuff. Its also very cool to be able to do it every day. Unfortunately you don't get to draw 6,000 foot dream homes all the time, but you do get to make people happy. I would be so happy to draw it for them and then move along, but unfortunately we build them too, and thats where the headaches come from.
Old 9/10/08, 11:58 PM
Post *****

Well that's enough of my bloviating. I've had enough of my pompous vomitting of ideas and thoughts.

It won't happen again gentlemen, I'm just an average guy trying to make a living in this topsy turvy world.

I think it's time for nighty-night.
Old 9/11/08, 12:26 AM
NTTAWWT

it's definately time for sleep, gotta get up and take an accounting test tomorrow, im super nervous, this is the subject i'll be worried about this semester
later fellas
Old 9/11/08, 12:38 AM
Post *****

Good luck tomorrow Mahn

Quick Reply: Mustangs Coast to Coast