Hall Of Fame Homepage Journal Type & Other Threads of Merit By Admin Invitation Only
View Poll Results: Do you prefer us lobbing Potatoes or Grenades to take care of spammers?
Lob potatoes to just stun them
11.11%
Lob grenades and remove them from the TMS pool permanently
88.89%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Mustangs Coast to Coast

Search this Thread

Old 4/28/11, 08:23 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mustangGT90210
Did they ever extend those laws about you guys have to take the studs off your tires in I believe the start of April?
They make exceptions depending. Usually for a week or two, but this year was only a few days. Even though the passes continue to have snow and ice. The good part now at the end of April is the ground isn't so frozen so it doesn't stick long (except for shady corners up higher).
This year they should have at least gone to the 10th or the 15th. They're horse's *****.

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/28/11 at 08:24 PM.
Old 4/28/11, 08:38 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
My family and I are safe, just now getting in and settled down and getting power back. My hat is off to you Scott, you're a better man than me because I could never do what you do. It'll take a long time for me to get over what I've seen in the last 24hrs, if I ever do. In all my years of living in this region, I've never seen anything like this. No other way to describe it besides total destruction. I haven't slept, been going all day, exhausted, and I still don't think I'll be able to sleep with my mind packed full of the images it has taken in.
Good to know your safe Lee, how is your place?
Old 4/28/11, 08:51 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Notch
Really glad to hear you and your family are ok! It's been in the back of my mind all day, wondering if you and everyone else done there are ok.
Thanks. Trust me, this is one storm you wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere near.

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Good to hear from you friend! Does that mean you evac'd? Place OK?

Any news about Willie?
Haven't heard from him. My place is fine, I just wish I could say the same for others. I feel more fortunate than I ever have in my life, places I grew up and played as a kid will never be the same in my lifetime.

Literally hundreds of homes leveled to the foundation. We went out late last night to check on some folks and see if we could help, and the level of destruction was mind boggling, even with the little that could be seen by headlights. So many trees and large sections of houses (some that had been carried miles) blocking the roads, you had to cut a path through it. People, some alive some dead strewn about, some more than a mile away from the home they were in.

Weather service has already confirmed that it was a top of the scale EF4, 190+ mph. And that was at the tail end of it as it was breaking up. They haven't even been able to get into the worst hit area to survey, but there's little doubt that it was into the EF5 range at one point as it crossed a ridge and worked through a valley that was filled with very well built, expensive homes. They might as well have been single wide mobile homes because they were obliterated like you would expect to see in a trailer park. They're still in there searching through rubble looking for people, but the debris is just overwhelming.

It was over half a mile wide as it came over the mountain and ridge that used to be completely covered with 100-200 year old hardwood. Now all that's left of them are 15ft tall stumps. The tops are all gone, don't know where they all ended up, but it literally looks like a 1/2+ mile wide swath was clear cut and cleaned out.
Old 4/28/11, 09:19 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I remember seeing what an EF3 did a few years ago. There pieces of people's lives covering everything on either side of the road, and houses completely destroyed. I can't even imagine what an EF5 would do. You know how much I love storms, but I absolutely hate seeing stuff like this.
Old 4/28/11, 09:20 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Gary's fine, he'll be on later though.
Old 4/28/11, 09:23 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Notch
Only numbers I have are Gary and David's.
Can you PM me Gary's number please?

edit: you can disregard, i was gonna txt him to get Lee's number.

Last edited by Scothew; 4/28/11 at 09:32 PM.
Old 4/28/11, 09:29 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Oh glad to see your ok lee. Yeah its crappy. Its funny you mention it might have bene single wide trailers, I saw a crappy old single wide trailer from the mid 70's probably next to a nice well built brick home. not 30yds away in the middle of an area that was compeltely destroyed, the trailer not a scratch or dent, but the bring home, leveled.
Old 4/28/11, 09:32 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks. Trust me, this is one storm you wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere near.

Haven't heard from him. My place is fine, I just wish I could say the same for others. I feel more fortunate than I ever have in my life, places I grew up and played as a kid will never be the same in my lifetime.

Literally hundreds of homes leveled to the foundation. We went out late last night to check on some folks and see if we could help, and the level of destruction was mind boggling, even with the little that could be seen by headlights. So many trees and large sections of houses (some that had been carried miles) blocking the roads, you had to cut a path through it. People, some alive some dead strewn about, some more than a mile away from the home they were in.

Weather service has already confirmed that it was a top of the scale EF4, 190+ mph. And that was at the tail end of it as it was breaking up. They haven't even been able to get into the worst hit area to survey, but there's little doubt that it was into the EF5 range at one point as it crossed a ridge and worked through a valley that was filled with very well built, expensive homes. They might as well have been single wide mobile homes because they were obliterated like you would expect to see in a trailer park. They're still in there searching through rubble looking for people, but the debris is just overwhelming.

It was over half a mile wide as it came over the mountain and ridge that used to be completely covered with 100-200 year old hardwood. Now all that's left of them are 15ft tall stumps. The tops are all gone, don't know where they all ended up, but it literally looks like a 1/2+ mile wide swath was clear cut and cleaned out.

Wow Lee, that is devastating to hear.

I know it is nothing to compare but a few years back we had an EF2 go through NH about 1 mile up the road from my family lake home. It was on the ground for about 50 miles in a north east direction. It was maybe 600 yards wide and just how you described. It took the trees down and laid them in a criss cross pattern, leaving stumps about 6-10 feet high. If one did survive it was void of all bark and limbs.

After seeing that I can't even begin to imagine what you have seen.
Old 4/28/11, 09:44 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

My family and I are safe, just now getting in and settled down and getting power back. My hat is off to you Scott, you're a better man than me because I could never do what you do. It'll take a long time for me to get over what I've seen in the last 24hrs, if I ever do. In all my years of living in this region, I've never seen anything like this. No other way to describe it besides total destruction. I haven't slept, been going all day, exhausted, and I still don't think I'll be able to sleep with my mind packed full of the images it has taken in.
I was just talking to my wife about last night and today, adn she asked how I did it, how I could do it and think about what I was doing, mainly when it comes to critically injured and fatalities.

We train for it. we train hard for it and frankly you have to clear your mind, realize you have a job to do and dont think about it, just do it. Thats the best way I can describe it.

I feel for ya bro, I know what your going through, i was there in 98 with the F5. I was so overwhelmed, it had a certain impact on me mentally because i was young (17 at the time) that I think it honestly caused me to function in a "numb" capacity. This time around, its been much worse, ive been way more involved than i was in 98, but now its a job, more like a duty. So I dont let it in my head. Im sure at some point i'll have a moment where it hits me and I am a taken back by it all, but eventually it passes.

If you need to talk it out, lemme know, ill be glad to listen.
Old 4/28/11, 09:52 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by Scothew
Oh glad to see your ok lee. Yeah its crappy. Its funny you mention it might have bene single wide trailers, I saw a crappy old single wide trailer from the mid 70's probably next to a nice well built brick home. not 30yds away in the middle of an area that was compeltely destroyed, the trailer not a scratch or dent, but the bring home, leveled.
Yeah, I've seen some weird stuff. I heard from a guy that was working with fire & rescue that said they went to a house that had moderate damage, and in the front yard of the house was a single wide with all the windows and doors blown out, and crumpled pretty good. The odd part? The homeowners nor anyone around knows where it came from!

Originally Posted by 07S197
Wow Lee, that is devastating to hear.

I know it is nothing to compare but a few years back we had an EF2 go through NH about 1 mile up the road from my family lake home. It was on the ground for about 50 miles in a north east direction. It was maybe 600 yards wide and just how you described. It took the trees down and laid them in a criss cross pattern, leaving stumps about 6-10 feet high. If one did survive it was void of all bark and limbs.

After seeing that I can't even begin to imagine what you have seen.
What looks so strange here, is that the trees are not laid down where the stumps are, they're gone and the ground looks picked clean other than small limbs! No idea where they ended up, haven't seen enough aerial footage to tell and there aren't many roads in there. I wonder if its possible that with the force they were being blow around with that they could have just disintegrated into small pieces of mulch like material as they were carried.
Old 4/28/11, 09:59 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im glad you guys are safe. I really hope the worst is over. This has been one crazy April

Some good news. The focus has finally been fixed
Old 4/28/11, 10:02 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So glad to hear you are ok. I cant even begin to imagine what you and Scothew are going through in your areas. That is just completely devastating I cant even imagine.

Crazy how that happens. No matter who it hit though, its still horrible
Old 4/28/11, 10:09 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

I was just talking to my wife about last night and today, adn she asked how I did it, how I could do it and think about what I was doing, mainly when it comes to critically injured and fatalities.

We train for it. we train hard for it and frankly you have to clear your mind, realize you have a job to do and dont think about it, just do it. Thats the best way I can describe it.

I feel for ya bro, I know what your going through, i was there in 98 with the F5. I was so overwhelmed, it had a certain impact on me mentally because i was young (17 at the time) that I think it honestly caused me to function in a "numb" capacity. This time around, its been much worse, ive been way more involved than i was in 98, but now its a job, more like a duty. So I dont let it in my head. Im sure at some point i'll have a moment where it hits me and I am a taken back by it all, but eventually it passes.

If you need to talk it out, lemme know, ill be glad to listen.
You know, what bothers me the most is an overwhelming feeling of guilt. I've seen many groups of families standing in yards full of rubble either crying and hugging, on their knees praying, or just staring blankly into the distance. Everything they owned, every keepsake, every baby picture, their grandmother's bible, their shelter where they've lived for decades and raised families, just completely gone, literally in SECONDS. Nothing salvageable, just small scraps of a lifetime of memories.

And here I am not far away with absolutely no damage. Nothing, not even a broken limb in the yard. Whole family safe and sound. Went 15-20 hours without power, that's it.

And then I think how easily it could have shifted and I could be standing there in their shoes. And I'm pretty dammed sure that many if not all of those people have lived more righteous lives than I have. It makes me question a lot of things.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 4/28/11 at 10:10 PM.
Old 4/28/11, 10:15 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

My wife is feeling much the same way.
Old 4/28/11, 10:19 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

My wife is feeling much the same way.
So what are you saying? That I'm a woman?

First time I've actually laughed all day.
Old 4/28/11, 10:31 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the (closet of) shoe's fit...

not that there's anything wrong with that...

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/28/11 at 10:33 PM.
Old 4/28/11, 10:32 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Lee,

Thank goodness you and your family are safe.

Its sad what has happened to so many thousands of people all over the south. I hope Willie is ok and Dirk too.

I haven't been on much because the house is nearing completion. Weve been working on the yard and the details. Moved some of our furniture in today so it will show better during the home show. This has just consumed my life. Its been a long year from selling the old house and moving into this house and then building the new house. I don't ever want to do this again. I never see my family and i never see my wife. I worked 7am-11pm today and didn't eat anything till 8:00. I forgot to eat breakfast and didn't have time for lunch. Things are nuts here
Old 4/28/11, 10:34 PM
Post *****

But ive got my health and family and life is nothing compared to what some of you have seen others go through the past few days. So I am thankful for the gift of another day.
Old 4/28/11, 10:34 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

First time I've actually laughed all day.
Well i wasnt gonna come right out and say it

Btw check this out, satellite image of the path of tornados in alabama from 22,500miles up.

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/blog...2_TCL_anim.gif
Old 4/28/11, 10:35 PM
Post *****

I'm also sorry to report that Lee has never blessed me with his phone number.

I only have Mike, Nathan, and David on my phone.

I'd be happy to have anyone's number who wants to share numbers just in case stuff like this happens in the future we can keep a network of sorts between us.

Quick Reply: Mustangs Coast to Coast