General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Mustang Clubs WHY?

Search this Thread

Old 7/25/05, 06:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

He guys and gals I pose a question to all of you. Why be a member of a car club? I used to be a local attender to a local MCA club here in Charleston, SC when I had my 66 Mustang. I went to shows and cruise ins all the time. I had fun most of the time and sometimes you come across people that make you sick. Glory seeking guys and gals saying look at me I'm Special.

One of things that turned me off with the whole thing was a gaped formed between New Mustang and old mustang owners. New Mustang owners were upset they were not winning awards at shows. In my opion at the time was if I wanted to see a new mustang I would go to a dealership. Why should you get a award for making payments when I busted my butt with blood, sweat, and tears just to get the old classic on the road. After the the dust settled our club split saddley. With I beleve to be a childish thing to happen.

The new Mustang owners formed a Mustang and Ford club. The MCA club stayed intact with alot less members. I stayed with the MCA club due to the fact it was a now mostly old Stangs.

After a few months and some finanical issues I was forced to sell my old and one to pay some bills off. After getting to a better financial situation. I bought a new 2005 Mustang V6 and I love it and thinking of going back into the club scene to find more like minded people (Mustang nuts) like the people on this site that are not judgemental and have a true passion for the Automobile.

So here is my question why go back? Why do you guys love the clubs your in? Give me the reasons you partipate in them?
Old 7/25/05, 07:13 PM
Bullitt Member

I have a hard time at clubs and shows anymore - even with my classic. These events have their purposes, but those purposes don't seem to serve me anymore.

It's not about the tech. Clubs don't have the special inside scoop anymore. They don't know the tricks like they used to. Why wait for a monthly meeting rehersing my questions over and over again in my head when I can hop onto an online comunity and get an almost INSTANT answer to just about any question? The knowledge is at your fingertips. You can even connect with people selling parts - and a whole lot more of them!

It's not about the comrodery. Most car clubs now (from my experience) are all about patting people on the back. Most of the folks there are looking to feel good about themselves - not enjoy the cars. If you REALLY enjoyed the cars, you would be out cruising... not sitting in a lot talking about how many shows you've won. What's more - I find most of the folks are so consumed with themselves that they can only think to draw attention in any way possible. Me? I'd rather be out cruisin'. Heck... even in a big lineup of cars, I'd have more fun than some bug-infested parking lot. Cars were built for one thing - to drive. If you want to chit-chat, hop on here. This is the BEST mustang hangout I can find.

Shows are still perfect for one thing - the chance of coming across a concourse or perfect replica car. These beauties let you see how the car was in its factory state, and the only place to see many of these are at car shows. I'd love to return to a few some day, but after about an hour (depends on the size of the show), I'm done. The best shows are the international concept shows. Those biggies like detroit/chicago/new york. Heck... even the concourse shows like pebble beach. Places you can go to see cars that only exist in fantasy and dreams. Cars that are priceless or worth more than my entire family's mortgages.

I don't like taking my old car to shows anymore because I don't want to get a bunch of criticism and folks turning their noses up. The car isn't stock. DUH! I don't want to take my new one because it's nothing special. It's a V6. I didn't even have to do anything to it to get it there. All I would do would be to drive it in. There isn't any blood sweat and tears. No Glory. I'm making payments just like everyone else. All that entitles me to is the open road. The room to drive it. Not some fancy ribbon.

To me... My car driving is at its best when I'm rolling. I need tunes. I need fumes. I need the sensation of the road. I find that I enjoy it even more when I can roll with my friends. When that happens... NOTHING can bring me out of my high. I'm not thinking about what other people DON'T like about my car or what they do. None of that matters. All I care about is enjoying the car in its essence - doing what it was built to do. It's sweet mechanical music, and the only person that can love and respect that is the one driving it.... Me.

So... I doubt I'll be returning any time soon. If you want to see me... find a back road or an open highway. That's where I'll be. To those willing to brave the shows and clubs... Hats off. You're braver than I. I count the seconds on the clock until I get off of work. I'm like a kid waiting for summer to start... every day. Then I rocket out of my chair and run to my car where I get an hour of pure driving bliss. I'm in the seat and I'm rolling. that's where I'm at home.
Old 7/25/05, 07:32 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
There are two clubs here in Cincinnati. Tri-State Mustang Club, and Stangbangerz. TSMC is mostly classics and they meet once a month, and have shows every so often. I have gone to a few shows and met some people and have seen some fantastic classic Mustangs. There is also a few asscociated with membership. They had an 'At the Track' day in the spring and many of them got their classics on the 1/4 mile strip and had a blast.

The other club, Stangbangerz, is mostly late model and has quite a few racers in the bunch. It is an online community as well as a club, but no dues are required. We do have shows, many associated with charities and helping troops overseas get some care packages, but we also just have 'hang out' gatherings. Guys meet at Hooter's for wings/beer/pop, or go to local cruises (as do some from TSMC), or meet up at the drag strip, autox events, etc. We are currently trying to find a track to rent this fall for an all day event.

From what I hear there has been a riff between the two in the past. The older guys in TSMC not especially into h*llraising and the like. But each has there purpose and people seem to be getting along pretty well nowadays.

I'm not that into parking my car and sitting around for 4-6 hours at shows. I'd rather be driving, but sometimes it's nice to sit and enjoy car shows.

And I don't think there is anything especially wrong with late models winning in car shows. While I understand the difference between working on ones car vs. going out and purchasing a "newer" ride. That same person who buys a newer Mustang may work just as hard in their everyday job to afford those payments.

I say to each his/her own. I like the people in clubs as much if not moreso than the cars. To me it's about finding the right crowd to hang out with, and enjoy their company as much as their rides.
Old 7/25/05, 07:33 PM
Bullitt Member

I hate to say this again and answer my own question but I met my best friend at a car show (you) Stanger X. It's the only thing that keeps me wanting to come back to the whole thing. Maybe JUST maybe there are more people like us out there or is it to hard to wade through the other crap to find more people like us. :scratch: In that case I would say yes it is woth it!

Don't get me wrong but it's awsome to be by yourself with your car. Doesn't that get lonely after a while if you didn't have me to talk to on a daily basis? Would it be as FUN?

I think you can have more fun hanging out with real people then just sitting in front of the computer all day writting posts. Telling storys and crusing the cars. Yeah you might run into some bad apples but some times you may come across a diamond in the rough.

What do you guys think?
Old 7/26/05, 03:06 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The main reason I am in my club is because of the 15% discount on insurance, it more than pays the yearly subs, also, we have a decent magazine bi-monthly which is nice to look through
Old 7/26/05, 06:28 AM
Bullitt Member

I joined a somewhat local club in 1995 at age 24. I am still a member of that same club today. The core group of people say around 25 members are still very active. There are some members(about 25-30) that never make the meetings and only show up at the shows we put on.
We have a wide range of owners and most have everything from the early models to the very recent. Noone is ever looked down on for what they have. We even have a resident Mustang II owner, who owns two very nice versions. Even the older guys are into the late models. SVOs/Cobras/Limited Ed./Machs/Bullitts/.
I guess the main reason I like being in this club is because we have really great members and probably the best collection of Mustangs in the southeast.
Btw, I am not a member of MCA, as I have never seen any real benefit of it.
Old 7/26/05, 06:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by VintagMustang302@July 25, 2005, 9:36 PM
I hate to say this again and answer my own question but I met my best friend at a car show (you) Stanger X. It's the only thing that keeps me wanting to come back to the whole thing. Maybe JUST maybe there are more people like us out there or is it to hard to wade through the other crap to find more people like us. :scratch: In that case I would say yes it is woth it!

Don't get me wrong but it's awsome to be by yourself with your car. Doesn't that get lonely after a while if you didn't have me to talk to on a daily basis? Would it be as FUN?

I think you can have more fun hanging out with real people then just sitting in front of the computer all day writting posts. Telling storys and crusing the cars. Yeah you might run into some bad apples but some times you may come across a diamond in the rough.

What do you guys think?
I see it this way. I found my best friend at a car show. Yes. How much better can you get than best? I've taken away the best parts of the car shows and club meetings. All that's left for me now is to wade through the endless sea of people that I don't see eye to eye with in hopes of coming across the one-in-a-million that I do.

The folks on these forums... albeit through an abstract friendship, are better friends than just about anyone I could now find at a car show or club meet. Do I discount the need for those events and groups? No. There are lots of folks out there that need them.

If I were to want to seek out some new folks, I would talk with the people on this forum and perhaps meet up at some local mustang event - like Mustang Week in Myrtle Beach, SC. For the folks that are nearby or that were planning to be there... I would take the time to cruise up that way and hang out. I would rather chat with people that I know are cool.... not wade through endless boring conversations with people who don't care thing 1.

The internet is revolutionizing clubs. It's making them more abstract. These forums are the best example of it. Folks come here and find what they are searching for. We are a diverse group, but most importantly, we are layed back. There are so many other web forums out there that can't provide the atmosphere this place has. If I wanted to hang out with some folks... the folks on these boards would be my best bet. Other than that... I don't have the patience to sit and listen to billy-bo-bob tell me all about his car that he paid someone to build for him and trailered into a show.

To each his own. The beauty of the system is that folks can do what they want out there in automotive land. The core enthusiasts have found a home. The people that know and love Mustangs... have the best home. It's here. Where else do you need to go?

Hopefully some events like Mustang Week will bring me closer to a few of the members. I would definately enjoy that. Yet, I'm not avid about seeking out shows and clubs to go to. I don't NEED to fit in and feel like part of a crowd. I just want to share information and talk about the stuff that makes these cars great. Where else could I go to do that? The Mustang Source is all the club I need. It's online. It's Live. It's 24/7, and it's bigger than any club meeting I've been to.

Aside from that, what is there? Get out there and drive your car! It belongs to the road!
Old 7/26/05, 01:57 PM
V6 Member

I once belonged to a classic car club but kinda quit because I sold my '67.. I am rejoining now that I have a new one, thankfully it doesn't required to have a classic to be in it..
Old 7/26/05, 03:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

There certainly are "downs" to a club. At my age, I have had my fill of political BS, egos, etc. Fortunately, belong to one which is really for cruising. A couple started it, no officers, etc. We meet once a month and cruise somewhere. All ages of members and Mustangs, and one group does not put down another regarding their year car.
Old 7/27/05, 08:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Ranger@July 26, 2005, 5:45 PM
There certainly are "downs" to a club. At my age, I have had my fill of political BS, egos, etc. Fortunately, belong to one which is really for cruising. A couple started it, no officers, etc. We meet once a month and cruise somewhere. All ages of members and Mustangs, and one group does not put down another regarding their year car.
now that sounds like a great way to run a club. It's a seudo-club. I can't stand the political BS either. Vintage returned to the club in which both of us were members. I'll let him tell the story.

Suffice to say that if they want to draw intrest back, they need to come up with some better ideas. Your "club" seems to have the right idea. I would suggest a club that does that and offers a once a month friday or saturday night cruise-in. It would be a casual meeting that takes place between a certain time range.

Basically you just cruise in... chat and get the latest news, then cruise out. What else do you need? You pick a central location that most everyone in the area can agree is a good place to hang out.

During the winter, either cancel the cruise-in, or move it to a restraunt where folks could sit down inside. Personally, I would just cancel it during the off months in favor of the cruise or perhaps a second cruise. You could set up message forums on the club's website to organize the cruise details and then publish the meet-n'-greet location and destination of the cruise on the main site once agreed upon.

Of course... This club is MCA, so I don't know if they have to follow certain formats in order to retain the MCA charter. If so... you could still round out the "Official" business at the end of each monthly cruise, or you could opt to have all officers present between the agreed upon time ranges of the cruise-in. That way, folks could record votes on key issues if they wish... before cruising out.

It just seems to me that this day and age, clubs are changing. Many clubs are using their money to attract people by offering free hotel rooms, dyno runs, and such. They find ways of making owners feel special by drawing attention to their cars. I would rather be part of a club that makes owners feel special by giving them a reason to enjoy their car for what it is in an informal setting. I'd also like a time and place to sit and chat about cars in general with people of a like mind.

It's getting harder and harder to do in today's social climate where sex and attention sell. People want flash and pazazz, not a club that just wants to cruise and sit around and talk cars.

Who knows... perhaps Vintage and I could help pioneer a new age of the tired local mustang club. With a little TLC, perhaps she could return to her former glory. Who knows?
Old 7/30/05, 10:09 PM
Cobra Member

Our Club is small simple and we try to do things together and help each other. We have from 65 to O5 and like them all and welcome all. Most people are just looking for a click. We are looking for somewhere to go and enjoy our Mustangs.

Sure there will be differences between old and new members, you've got to put some time in first, get to know people, just like anything else. Once they see your going to stick around, they will come around, just takes time. And if not then move on.

A show and judging is about a clean detailed car. Whatever the year. You can't drive a car daily and expect to win or place at any honest show if your not going to detail everything. I see people come to a show with a dirty body or engine bay and :scratch: as to why their old car did not win a trophy. :bang: Try cleaning it eh?

All vehicles were new at one time. Everyone cannot own the same thing. So there are antique, classic or newer vehicle. Owners still like to show what they have come up with. With that being said, at a big show there are classes for all kinds of vehicles. Honesty and favorites, if we don't think the show was honest, we don't go back.

My 98 is newer, but still a classic and it is Judged as a "Street Machine" because of the Mods. The 2001 year I won first place 74/present at the Woodward Dream Cruise, Mustang Alley, Ferndale Judged Show. Just goes to show ya. And the Car is way better today. And I have friends today with even better Mustangs than mine. Let the best man win. Someday if I live long enough it will be an antique.

There are good and bad Clubs and the same for some local Shows.

My $.02 worth.
Old 7/31/05, 02:06 AM

at least you guys have local clubs , I'm in anchorage alaska and have no club at all ... and there are alot more stangs here than you think ... but those pansy vette owners have there meetings and club runs
Old 8/1/05, 09:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

I joined the local Mustang club with my 89 LX 5.0 (now sold... I want it back!!!) and my 05 GT and got a somewhat warm reception from them but the core group is really tight knit and that makes newcomers liek myself feel like an outsider. The worst part is that same cars win at their shows over and over regardless of the quality of the other entrants so you know that there's some serious favoritism among the core. Here's an example of a car that wins 99-04 Modified at every show:

The last show, it won first again even though the second place car was a beautifully modifed '03 Mach 1 which was also super clean in the detailing. The green monster, as it is well known, is unbeatable... maybe there's something about the V6 cars after all!

Anyway, a second club started up here on the internet by a bunch of late-model enthusiasts and racers and now this is the group that I pal around with because they are truly Mustang lovers and enjoy driving the cars and not standing around in fields polishing their trophies. I won't be renewing my membership in the original club...
Old 8/2/05, 08:43 PM

well there seams to be alot of things concering clubs both good and bad. well that happens when you put 2 or more people in the same place,( hint a differents of opionions). well i've been in a mustang club, was a member of MCA for 5 years, heck i even was pres. of a local club thru MCA. I was a member of a truck club, a member of a online club( rangerpowersports) i even belong to several online groups of mustang sites.
So how do you class a club? by friends? by old or new? its purpose?
let me share my thoughts:
i love cars (mustangs) old and new, haveing owned several, 12 to be exact from 66 coupe, 70 mach, 69 fb, 69 428 fb, 69 coupe, 84 gt.02gt now. I've showed the 69 fb in a MCA show as orginal got 2 place and it was no where near orginal.
anyway the thing is that i like about clubs was that there was someone that shares the same intrest that i did. ( not always the the same thoughts), remember were all different! are we'd be like that darn wal-greens comercial were everything is perfect## ha, ha.
I like showing my cars and i like driving them, its mine, i pay the notes on it. or I payed the sweat, blood, busted knuckles.
i dont care if its as nice as the ones that are trailered
or as old as the 64-70 stangs.
sure it may not get as much attention as the old stangs or as much as the cobra's or Bullit's or saleens, roush's i dont really care.

let me see if i can explain it: when was the last time you saw a groupe of old cars, street rods, trucks, harley's, bikers, vett's, camaro's are whatever going down the road?
did you think damm wish i had one of those, and was with them!
or I wish we had someone to to that with! or wish we could do that!
when was the last time any of you had someone come up to you and ask ... how can i get with yall to do things?
thing is for the last 4 years or so i've been going to truck shows by myself, rolling into the show bymyself, showing by myself, placeing and not placeing by myself.
Now i'm back into MUSTANG again and i find myself doing the same thing , going to show's, showing, rolling all by myself.
thinking damm i wish there was someone that had the same intrest i did!!!

well i've come to find out there still is!!!!! THERE IS NUTHIN LIKE THE FEELING OF A BUNCH OF MUSTANG'S PULLING INTO A LOCAL WAL-MART LOT AND PARKING TO TALK, ohh the looks you get. both old and new cars
TRY IT and see!!!!
what about a cruise around your local town , going from the oldest stang to the newest to show the production of the way the stang has come?

well its my thoughts on a club, its a starting place for people with the same interest.

sorry if it offends anyone but some one has to do something to keep it interesting hobby.
by the way i'm in mid mississippi, and i'm am in the process of starting a MCA chapter here
why?
1. there must be like 300 stangs ,here old and new
2. I dont think i'm the only one that loves there stang
3. to overule the vetts, imports, nopi's.( mind you there's nothing wrong with them, since they seam to know how to come together, everwhere)
4. just because its a stang thing.
Old 8/4/05, 07:25 PM

I am a member of a club. joined with my 85 exp turbo coupe. most of the people are about my age (49). they mostly have muscle or classic cars. I have the fwd escort so they aren't excited about my car. but I have been to a few shows last year and I have had a lot of people interested in my car. anyway some of the people are nice and some dont give you the time of day. just have to take the good with the bad. our club just split up and are forming a new (old) club. these two clubs joined a while back.
www.rioking.50megs.com
Old 8/4/05, 07:55 PM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Clubs are fine for some. I tried my hand at them. I was founding member of a local club back in the early 90s. It went great at first but like most clubs 10% of the people end up doing 90% of the work, and I eventually dropped out. I came back into the fold about 2 years ago and was quickly put back into my old position of club secretary (the one position that requires the most work). After about a year of doing a small site with some forums (that no one went on) and getting calls about how I have to do this and that, I once again dropped out. I'm convinced that a more informal group is the way to go.
Old 8/4/05, 08:07 PM
Bullitt Member

My uncle who restores Street Rods only attend cruise ins and maybe the ocasional show. I think that might be my flavor. Not a formal meet or show just bunch of cars chillin at a Sonics or somehting.

Might try to get a few cars together and see if can get something like that to take off around here.
Old 8/4/05, 08:35 PM
V6 Member

I joined the club i'm in (MACA) almost a year ago, I did this because 1. it was free no dues or any obligations 2. i wanted too meet people in my area that have the the same car as me so i could gain more knowledge on what works best on it. this club in its year and a half of exsistence has close to 150 members and it's more than just a monthly meeting and an occasional show. other members of this club get together and go out and have a good time it's more than just about the cars. we have had mod days, dyno days, cruises, cookouts at members houses, track days where 10-20 cars go to the local track and try to better there last E.T.s I have learned more about this car and how too properly modify it from other club members than i could by just reading posts on a forum (although they have been extremely helpful). I believe it's the kind of people that are in the club that determines if it fails or not. I will never join a club that charges me an annual fee to be a part of, it defeats the purpose of haveing a club, if i pay for membership i'm going too feel like i have too participate since i've paid for it allready not I want to do participate. If there is an event that requires money we bring it and only pre pay if there is a discount for groups. All in all though i believe clubs are a great way to meet people with the same love and passion for a car as you have, so far my experience had been good.
Old 8/4/05, 08:39 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

I started a club here in SoCal. I am bound and determined to keep it informal. No membership requirements, fees, etc. There are some loose titles, but its really mostly about getting together and hanging out with people that are just as insane about thier car as I am.
Old 8/4/05, 08:44 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by JessicaRabbitt@August 4, 2005, 10:42 PM
I started a club here in SoCal. I am bound and determined to keep it informal. No membership requirements, fees, etc. There are some loose titles, but its really mostly about getting together and hanging out with people that are just as insane about thier car as I am.

right on