General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Mustang #1 again. A bit surprising

Search this Thread

Old 4/7/23, 08:30 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,063 Likes on 666 Posts
Mustang #1 again. A bit surprising

I figured with this being the last year and chance to get a Challenger that Dodge would be first again. Obviously I'm wrong. Mustang #1.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/ford-mu...orite-pony-car
Old 4/7/23, 03:41 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,194 Likes on 1,763 Posts
I don't find it as a bit surprising at all... My reasons are the Challenger hasn't had a major platform change since it's reintroduction back in 2008, whereas the Mustang has gone through 1 re-fresh of the S197 platform in 2010 followed by the all new S550 platform in 2015... As for the Crapmaro is concerned, despite the Alpha platform change in 2016, it still hasn't changed very much from a visual point of view when compared to the previous platform from 2010-2015...

In my honest opinion, when compared to the current S550 and upcoming S650 Mustang platform, both the Challenger and Crapmaro have both become way too long in the tooth for way too long and just don't have the appeal they previously had over the Mustang...

In the meantime, very nice find and thanks for sharing

The following users liked this post:
NC14GT (4/8/23)
Old 4/8/23, 06:55 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,063 Likes on 666 Posts
^^^ Good points about the Challenger but that retro look was always the key in selling them. Any change from that would be a negative and low sales. I sure would NOT have bought one.
The Mustang will always have it's fan base no matter what. Even the Mustangs of the middle and late 70's were bought by thousands and thousands of folks. Hell, I even would have bought one if I had the $$$ way back then. I had to wait until 1982 to get my first 'new' GT off the showroom floor. Loved it!!
Once again, long live the Mustang as the Dodge and Chevy will be gone once again, perhaps forever. I just hope my R/T does as well as my Mustangs have always done.

Last edited by NC14GT; 4/8/23 at 06:56 AM.
m05fastbackGT (4/8/23)
Old 4/8/23, 03:41 PM

I totally agree, as the reason I purchased my previous 2005 and current 2006 Mustang GT was because of the retro styling taken from the 1st generation 65-70 models... However, when it comes to hard core enthusiasts like you and I, unfortunately we are only considered as a small minority when compared to the average consumer... Therefore, it would appear that Ford's main objective is turning a profit in the sales category by targeting the majority of its consumer base knowing its able to make the most profit from in sales...

I suppose Ford was concerned that if they hadn't made any changes from the retro styling of the S197 platform to the S550 and now upcoming S650 platform, that it would result in decreasing sales numbers due to losing appeal from becoming too long in the tooth and boring to the average consumer... Perhaps in the end, this is exactly the reason the Challenger and Camaro have once again fallen behind in sales when compared to the Mustang.

Personally, if it had been up to me, Ford would have continued on with the retro styling of the S197 platform while continuing to make subtle refreshes/improvements, similar to what Dodge has been doing with the Challenger.

The following 2 users liked this post by m05fastbackGT:
NC14GT (4/9/23), Viking99 (4/25/23)
Old 4/8/23, 03:56 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
I totally agree, as the reason I purchased my previous 2005 and current 2006 Mustang GT was because of the retro styling taken from the 1st generation 65-70 models... However, when it comes to hard core enthusiasts like you and I, unfortunately we are only considered as a small minority when compared to the average consumer... Therefore, it would appear that Ford's main objective is turning a profit in the sales category by targeting the majority of its consumer base knowing its able to make the most profit from in sales...

I suppose Ford was concerned that if they hadn't made any changes from the retro styling of the S197 platform to the S550 and now upcoming S650 platform, that it would result in decreasing sales numbers due to losing appeal from becoming too long in the tooth and boring to the average consumer... Perhaps in the end, this is exactly the reason the Challenger and Camaro have once again fallen behind in sales when compared to the Mustang.

Personally, if it had been up to me, Ford would have continued on with the retro styling of the S197 platform while continuing to make subtle refreshes/improvements, similar to what Dodge has been doing with the Challenger.
I agree with all of that, pretty much the way I see what has happened. I'm like you, I loved the 197, heck I bought 3 new ones and I was really turned off and skeptical of the 550 for a long while, but I started to like them more and more as they updated and put out different models to the point that I started to pay attention and notice them like I did the 197 when I saw one that really stood out.

I like all of the advancements in different things over my 197s , didn't realize how much of a difference it would be until I experienced it first hand. Main thing I don't like is so far it seems more confining, smaller and tighter inside than the 197s, but that could just be because I went 7 years without one driving SUVs and forgot what it was like in a 2 door car. Especially the headroom in it, I have to lower the seat a lot to feel comfortable with head room.
Stage_3 (4/15/23)
Old 4/8/23, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
I agree with all of that, pretty much the way I see what has happened. I'm like you, I loved the 197, heck I bought 3 new ones and I was really turned off and skeptical of the 550 for a long while, but I started to like them more and more as they updated and put out different models to the point that I started to pay attention and notice them like I did the 197 when I saw one that really stood out.

I like all of the advancements in different things over my 197s , didn't realize how much of a difference it would be until I experienced it first hand. Main thing I don't like is so far it seems more confining, smaller and tighter inside than the 197s, but that could just be because I went 7 years without one driving SUVs and forgot what it was like in a 2 door car. Especially the headroom in it, I have to lower the seat a lot to feel comfortable with head room.
Also agree with everything you brought up as well... Prior to purchasing my first S197 GT in February of 2005, I had previously owned 3 Fox body Mustangs... My last Fox body was a Black "93" SVT Cobra that I really loved, but once I saw images of the S197 Mustang first introduced as a concept at the 2003 International Auto Show, I was so instantly blown away by the retro styling taken from the 1st generation 65-70 models I admired as a youth since the mid 1960's, I knew from that moment if the production version was going to carry over the retro styling cues from the concept car that I would do whatever it took to purchase one... At any rate, when the time finally came to fruition, it took having to trade-in my "93" SVT Cobra in order to make it become a reality...

As much as I really loved my previous "93" Cobra, it just didn't come anywhere close in comparison with the modern technology and retro styling of the S197 and although I still reminisce from time to time the memories, I enjoyed during my time with the "93" Cobra, I don't regret for one moment my decision for trading it in for the 2005 S197 GT... Like yourself, when the S550's first came out, it also took quite a while before finally warming up to them, but despite the advancements in technology over the S197 models, I honestly cannot say they had nearly the same impact upon me as the retro styling of the S197 has which is the main reason I cannot bring myself to parting with my S197 GT just in order to own a current S550 GT...

If only I had the garage space and ability to keep both my current S197 GT and afford financing a late model S550 GT, I would do so in a heartbeat.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 4/8/23 at 05:15 PM.
Viking99 (4/25/23)
Old 4/8/23, 07:56 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Also agree with everything you brought up as well... Prior to purchasing my first S197 GT in February of 2005, I had previously owned 3 Fox body Mustangs... My last Fox body was a Black "93" SVT Cobra that I really loved, but once I saw images of the S197 Mustang first introduced as a concept at the 2003 International Auto Show, I was so instantly blown away by the retro styling taken from the 1st generation 65-70 models I admired as a youth since the mid 1960's, I knew from that moment if the production version was going to carry over the retro styling cues from the concept car that I would do whatever it took to purchase one... At any rate, when the time finally came to fruition, it took having to trade-in my "93" SVT Cobra in order to make it become a reality...

As much as I really loved my previous "93" Cobra, it just didn't come anywhere close in comparison with the modern technology and retro styling of the S197 and although I still reminisce from time to time the memories, I enjoyed during my time with the "93" Cobra, I don't regret for one moment my decision for trading it in for the 2005 S197 GT... Like yourself, when the S550's first came out, it also took quite a while before finally warming up to them, but despite the advancements in technology over the S197 models, I honestly cannot say they had nearly the same impact upon me as the retro styling of the S197 has which is the main reason I cannot bring myself to parting with my S197 GT just in order to own a current S550 GT...

If only I had the garage space and ability to keep both my current S197 GT and afford financing a late model S550 GT, I would do so in a heartbeat.
Pretty much the same trajectory here. Grew up around them, rode to school as a little kid in a 70 fastback that's been in the family since new (still have it) had multiple fox bodies, 85 gt, 87 Saleen , 89 built and blown LX, 91 LX bought new, etc, as well as built and blown sn95 4 valves, then the 197s I had when I got on here.

Regret getting rid of the 11 Shelby, should have kept it and the 08 Shelby GT.

But I can't see any way possible for them to make a another mustang (and it still have the essence of what a mustang is) that could top what my new one is. In any category, power, speed, acceleration, handling, braking, comfort, etc. This thing is like a sledgehammer in a beautiful velvet glove, 😂
Viking99 (4/25/23)
Old 4/8/23, 09:30 PM

Pretty much the same trajectory here. Grew up around them, rode to school as a little kid in a 70 fastback that's been in the family since new (still have it) had multiple fox bodies, 85 gt, 87 Saleen , 89 built and blown LX, 91 LX bought new, etc, as well as built and blown sn95 4 valves, then the 197s I had when I got on here.

But I can't see any way possible for them to make a another mustang (and it still have the essence of what a mustang is) that could top what my new one is. In any category, power, speed, acceleration, handling, braking, comfort, etc. This thing is like a sledgehammer in a beautiful velvet glove, 😂
Seems as though we're both around the same age timeline lol. Meanwhile, also good to know the 70 fastback is still in the family and have had it ever since it was new... Perhaps you could post an image, as I don't recall ever seeing it on here before
Old 4/8/23, 09:37 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Seems as though we're both around the same age timeline lol. Meanwhile, also good to know the 70 fastback is still in the family and have had it ever since it was new... Perhaps you could post an image, as I don't recall ever seeing it on here before
I've posted a bunch before of it, and with the gt/cs, the sgt and the 11 500, even with the 85 gt back in the day. But, they were all hosted on Photobucket and I lost all of them on there, but I'm trying to get them off a hard drive and old laptop they were on.
I'll get some when I can.
Old 4/8/23, 09:53 PM

I've posted a bunch before of it, and with the gt/cs, the sgt and the 11 500, even with the 85 gt back in the day. But, they were all hosted on Photobucket and I lost all of them on there, but I'm trying to get them off a hard drive and old laptop they were on.
I'll get some when I can.
Photobucket is more than likely the reason I forgot about them being on here, thanks to them doing away with free access hosting many years ago... Many of my old images that were on here thru Photobucket were also lost as well... In the meantime, hopefully you'll be able to retrieve them off one of your old hard drives/laptops
Old 4/8/23, 10:26 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Photobucket is more than likely the reason I forgot about them being on here, thanks to them doing away with free access hosting many years ago... Many of my old images that were on here thru Photobucket were also lost as well... In the meantime, hopefully you'll be able to retrieve them off one of your old hard drives/laptops
Only ones I can get to right now, stupid computers. My Shelby GT and the 70.

The following 5 users liked this post by Rather B.Blown:
m05fastbackGT (4/9/23), NC14GT (4/9/23), Stage_3 (4/15/23), Viking99 (4/25/23), wanted33 (4/16/23)
Old 4/8/23, 10:52 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Couple more I found.

The following 6 users liked this post by Rather B.Blown:
m05fastbackGT (4/9/23), NC14GT (4/9/23), shaneyusa (4/11/23), Stage_3 (4/15/23), Viking99 (4/25/23), wanted33 (4/16/23) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 4/9/23, 03:07 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,714 Posts
Beautiful Lee!
Old 4/9/23, 01:32 PM

Only ones I can get to right now, stupid computers. My Shelby GT and the 70.

Couple more I found.

I remember seeing them now, especially the Shelby GT and 70 Fastback, as I also recall posting on the threads you originally submitted the pics on back then... In the meantime, thanks for refreshing my memory lol.
Old 4/9/23, 02:43 PM

Unfortunately, it's really difficult to keep them all when there isn't enough garage space or have enough disposable income to maintain them all... I also understand where you're coming from about not making another Mustang that could top what your new one is while still having the essence of what a Mustang is... However, in my honest opinion, Ford could had continued updating the S197 Mustang, while also advancing its technology, similar to what Dodge has been doing with the Challenger while keeping its retro design styling fully intact and unchanged since being reintroduced back in 2008.
NC14GT (4/10/23)
Old 4/9/23, 10:11 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Beautiful Lee!
. Thanks Gary.

I remember seeing them now, especially the Shelby GT and 70 Fastback, as I also recall posting on the threads you originally submitted the pics on back then... In the meantime, thanks for refreshing my memory lol.
I figured you would. I've seen your screen name on here forever but while I was gone for a while I got it mixed up in my mind with a young guy that was on here named Sean and now I can't remember your name. Stupid old age.

Unfortunately, it's really difficult to keep them all when there isn't enough garage space or have enough disposable income to maintain them all... I also understand where you're coming from about not making another Mustang that could top what your new one is while still having the essence of what a Mustang is... However, in my honest opinion, Ford could had continued updating the S197 Mustang, while also advancing its technology, similar to what Dodge has been doing with the Challenger while keeping its retro design styling fully intact and unchanged since being reintroduced back in 2008.
I'm not sure they could have done enough with that chassis to bring it where it is now, like the IRS that the Challenger and Camaro already had back then when they came out. I never really cared about that, I'm a drag racing guy at heart, no problem with the solid axle, but after driving the new one I was impressed. I'm sure advanced electronic capabilities play into it but the feeling of control is so different in this one.

Don't get me wrong, I've had some bad nasty cars in my day, but this one is different. I can drive the heck out of a nasty solid axle car and I'm used to it. But this one just squats and goes, little wiggle you feel and reels it's self back in. Even with over 200 less hp that black one above was violent when it came loose, a real handful for someone not used to cars like that. This one is just keeps pulling like a freight train and never seems to let up.
Old 4/9/23, 10:50 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Don't take it the wrong way about the black one (I'm not a racist ) I loved it and I could handle it when it snapped loose unexpectedly, always to the right and the **** was trying to meet the front, lol, but I had enough experience (and younger reflexes) to feel it in the seat of the pants, hear the engine and could put enough opposite lock and throttle in it to reel it in. This new one may be the same way when I finally turn all the nannies off, but it feels more planted and hooked up.

I remember merging on the interstate in the 11 from an on ramp hammering on it one time in cold weather and I banged it into 3rd full throttle about 80 and it just came around on me to the left because of the way I was merging, got about 45 degrees sideways and middle lane traffic was jumping on the binders. I just cranked some opposite lock into the wheel and stood on it. Tires smoking and screaming and it straightened right up and kept hammering.
Viking99 (4/25/23)
Old 4/10/23, 10:35 PM

. Thanks Gary.

I figured you would. I've seen your screen name on here forever but while I was gone for a while I got it mixed up in my mind with a young guy that was on here named Sean and now I can't remember your name. Stupid old age.

I'm not sure they could have done enough with that chassis to bring it where it is now, like the IRS that the Challenger and Camaro already had back then when they came out. I never really cared about that, I'm a drag racing guy at heart, no problem with the solid axle, but after driving the new one I was impressed. I'm sure advanced electronic capabilities play into it but the feeling of control is so different in this one.

Don't get me wrong, I've had some bad nasty cars in my day, but this one is different. I can drive the heck out of a nasty solid axle car and I'm used to it. But this one just squats and goes, little wiggle you feel and reels it's self back in. Even with over 200 less hp that black one above was violent when it came loose, a real handful for someone not used to cars like that. This one is just keeps pulling like a freight train and never seems to let up.
Hello Lee!

My apologies for not revealing my actual name much sooner, but anyhow my real name is Rocky... Therefore, I wouldn't expect you to remember after so many years have since passed, so it's all good lol.

Anyway, IIRC the S197 Mustang was originally designed for the IRS, but the bean counters over at Ford decided against it at the last minute as they used the excuse for being too expensive and going above the proposed budget... So, in the end, it got scrapped in favor of the SRA in order to cut production costs, but if the bean counters had given the go ahead to proceed with the IRS, it would have indeed been compatible with the S197 chassis...

Don't take it the wrong way about the black one (I'm not a racist ) I loved it and I could handle it when it snapped loose unexpectedly, always to the right and the **** was trying to meet the front, lol, but I had enough experience (and younger reflexes) to feel it in the seat of the pants, hear the engine and could put enough opposite lock and throttle in it to reel it in. This new one may be the same way when I finally turn all the nannies off, but it feels more planted and hooked up.

I remember merging on the interstate in the 11 from an on ramp hammering on it one time in cold weather and I banged it into 3rd full throttle about 80 and it just came around on me to the left because of the way I was merging, got about 45 degrees sideways and middle lane traffic was jumping on the binders. I just cranked some opposite lock into the wheel and stood on it. Tires smoking and screaming and it straightened right up and kept hammering.
Lee! I'm still laughing my butt off over not being a racist about the black one, as my last 2 Fox body Mustangs were also black ones

-Rocky
Old 4/10/23, 10:38 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Hello Lee!

My apologies for not revealing my actual name much sooner, but anyhow my real name is Rocky... Therefore, I wouldn't expect you to remember after so many years have since passed, so it's all good lol.

Anyway, IIRC the S197 Mustang was originally designed for the IRS, but the bean counters over at Ford decided against it at the last minute as they used the excuse for being too expensive and going above the proposed budget... So, in the end, it got scrapped in favor of the SRA in order to cut production costs, but if the bean counters had given the go ahead to proceed with the IRS, it would have indeed been compatible with the S197 chassis...

Lee! I'm still laughing my butt off over not being a racist about the black one, as my last 2 Fox body Mustangs were also black ones

-Rocky
Soon as I read Rocky I immediately remembered you. Thanks for the refresher.
Old 4/10/23, 10:41 PM

Your very welcome Lee!

Quick Reply: Mustang #1 again. A bit surprising