General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Let's talk about road trips.....

Search this Thread

Old 3/12/13, 02:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts
Smile Let's talk about road trips.....

Here's our plans for the Wifey's GT. Leave N.C. in September, and do a State fair tour. Tennessee, Kansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Texas. On the way pick up Rt. 66 in OK, travel it to Gallup, NM., then back to Texas. Take about three weeks.

Have you taken a road trip in your Stang? If so, let's hear where you went, and how the car did.

Jim
Old 3/12/13, 03:59 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Our first road trip in the new Mustang will be in May with my local Honda S2000 friends. They have no problem with the fact that we'll be in the Stang. We'll only be gone a week and will go down the Washington, Oregon, and California coasts and then back home inland. It'll probably be a while before I can plan another long trip. I just did that last year in my S2000 and was gone for a month and covered 8,000 miles.
Old 3/12/13, 04:07 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I do 800 mile round trip jaunts from southern oregon to the CA Bay Area in my mustang, going over two passes between home and CA. My trips are fun, seat is comfy, I drive 5 to 6 hours, sometimes take a very curvy road down in to the sonoma valley. I have no problems and look forward to my next trip.
Old 3/12/13, 04:19 PM
Cobra Member

Chris, If you want a REALLY curvy road go down 101 through the Eureka area and turn toward the coast on Hwy 1 near Leggett. Getting there from southern Oregon would mean a drive from Grants Pass down through the Smith River Canyon to Crescent City. The SRC is a beautiful drive, but I suspect you already knew that.
Old 3/12/13, 09:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I drove from Hoosierland to Houston,TX for Thanksgiving, then back home via another route. It was really a shakedown cruise, and it was great! Mileage was excellent, the car handled like a champ, and it ran like a pickle seeder. Back country roads or wide-open interstate, the Mustang eats up the miles and begs for more. It's a great road trip carriage.
Old 3/13/13, 08:28 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 947 Likes on 575 Posts
This Spring we are taking the GT/CS again and leaving from home here in NC to San Diego with stops in Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon, and then Santa Fe. Included in this trip will be a 'trek' on the extraterrestrial highway in Nevada and Area 51.

Last year we took the GT/CS to the Adirondacks (Lake Placid, etc...) and Long Island in NY state. The car performed wonderfully overall. Lots of 'thumbs up' along the route.

Here are a few NY vacation photos that include the Mustang:
Let's talk about road trips.....-new-york-vacation-2012-058.jpg

Let's talk about road trips.....-new-york-vacation-2012-049.jpg

Let's talk about road trips.....-new-york-vacation-2012-081.jpg

Last edited by NC14GT; 3/13/13 at 08:30 AM.
Old 3/13/13, 09:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
This Spring we are taking the GT/CS again and leaving from home here in NC to San Diego with stops in Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon, and then Santa Fe. Included in this trip will be a 'trek' on the extraterrestrial highway in Nevada and Area 51.

Last year we took the GT/CS to the Adirondacks (Lake Placid, etc...) and Long Island in NY state. The car performed wonderfully overall. Lots of 'thumbs up' along the route.

Where's the last picture in New York from.
Old 3/13/13, 10:27 AM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tukatz
Chris, If you want a REALLY curvy road go down 101 through the Eureka area and turn toward the coast on Hwy 1 near Leggett. Getting there from southern Oregon would mean a drive from Grants Pass down through the Smith River Canyon to Crescent City. The SRC is a beautiful drive, but I suspect you already knew that.
You know - I've done that drive a few times, but usually I don't have the extra time as I travel for work... maybe next time I'll leave myself some "fun" room and go that route

I really enjoy long drives in the mustang, it's a great traveling car. I've even brought a co-worker with me and we're both comfortable for long drives...
Old 3/13/13, 12:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Attachment 132592

Attachment 132593

Attachment 132594
That's a beauty brother, how did you keep it that clean? Are you leaving from somewhere around Ashville? On your trip if you enjoy the road less taken, Route 66 through Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Arizona has some of the best. We have ran it from Chicago to California in our plastic Chebby, and had a blast.

Last edited by wanted33; 3/13/13 at 12:58 PM.
Old 3/13/13, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by RedGT12
Where's the last picture in New York from.
That's the castle at the top of Whiteface Mountain. At the top you can look down over Lake Placid. It was quite bumpy on the road up (frost heaves??)and the fee wasn't cheap either. One of those 'once in a lifetime' things. Well worth it though.
Old 3/13/13, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by wanted33
That's a beauty brother, how did you keep it that clean? Are you leaving from somewhere around Ashville? On your trip if you enjoy the road less taken, Route 66 through Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Arizona has some of the best. We have ran it from Chicago to California in our plastic Chebby, and had a blast.
I bring all my detailing supplies and the motels usually have car towels to use. Just ask housekeeping or the front desk. I can't drive a dirty car. No way!!
Yes, we live in Franklin, about 1 hour further west of Asheville just north of the GA state line.
We will take part of Route 66 as well. We have done small bits of it in the past in AZ. New Mexico is our favorite state next to NC. We've been all over the state from Carlsbad Caverns in the south to Taos, north of Santa Fe (if I remember my directions right).

Last edited by NC14GT; 3/13/13 at 05:18 PM.
Old 3/13/13, 06:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My baby has been to New England, FL, PA, OH and all the states in between... Never a problem and 28 MPG on each trip... Always get the looks and thumbs up!!!
Old 3/13/13, 06:26 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's our plans for the Wifey's GT. Leave N.C. in September, and do a State fair tour. Tennessee, Kansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Texas. On the way pick up Rt. 66 in OK, travel it to Gallup, NM., then back to Texas. Take about three weeks.

Have you taken a road trip in your Stang? If so, let's hear where you went, and how the car did.

Jim
Took it to Louisiana from Texas. The roads basically turn to gravel once you cross the Louisiana line. Shoulda taken the wife's minivan. Make sure to get a Fletcher's hot dog and a turkey leg at the State Fair of Texas. And take a picture of Big Tex the first year after his flaming demise.
Old 3/13/13, 06:31 PM
Cobra Member

I bring all my detailing supplies and the motels usually have car towels to use. Just ask housekeeping or the front desk. I can't drive a dirty car. No way!!
Yes, we live in Franklin, about 1 hour further west of Asheville just north of the GA state line.
We will take part of Route 66 as well. We have done small bits of it in the past in AZ. New Mexico is our favorite state next to NC. We've been all over the state from Carlsbad Caverns in the south to Taos, north of Santa Fe (if I remember my directions right).
About half way across New Mexico east/west and just a little south of the Colorado border is a little town named Chama. At Chama you can take the Cumbres and Toltec Railroad for a ride up into Colorado. It's an old steam engined train that takes about three hours up, stops at the old station that is now where they serve you lunch, and then takes another three hours back. Great trip.
Old 3/14/13, 02:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by mikeship911
Took it to Louisiana from Texas. The roads basically turn to gravel once you cross the Louisiana line. Shoulda taken the wife's minivan. Make sure to get a Fletcher's hot dog and a turkey leg at the State Fair of Texas. And take a picture of Big Tex the first year after his flaming demise.

Hot dogs, and Turkey legs. My two favorite food groups. Thanks for the tip.

Looking forward to the trip. Now if Ford would just get on the ball and make a bra to fit my '13. I've looked at the aftermarkets one, and the fitment is a little iffy.

Last edited by wanted33; 3/14/13 at 02:09 PM.
Old 3/20/13, 08:15 AM

Hot dogs, and Turkey legs. My two favorite food groups. Thanks for the tip.

Looking forward to the trip. Now if Ford would just get on the ball and make a bra to fit my '13. I've looked at the aftermarkets one, and the fitment is a little iffy.
Be very careful with aftermarket bras. On long trips they are notorious for scratching up and marring the clear coat if not extremely tight fitting. The wind just gets these things at highway speeds. On a personal note I bought an aftermarket bra for a minivan back about 7 years ago. It was a decent one too and had no trouble around town. On a trip out west I could not stop the 'flapping' no matter how tight I made it. Just the slightest movement caused problems. At 70 mph you just can't avoid it. The clearcoat was definitely impacted by this. On a minivan, no big deal. On a sweet Mustang, I would have been real upset.
I didn't use anything on my Mustang trip to NY and I'm not going to again for San Diego. Bugs wash off and I avoid large trucks like the plague.
Old 3/20/13, 02:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Be very careful with aftermarket bras. On long trips they are notorious for scratching up and marring the clear coat if not extremely tight fitting. The wind just gets these things at highway speeds. On a personal note I bought an aftermarket bra for a minivan back about 7 years ago. It was a decent one too and had no trouble around town. On a trip out west I could not stop the 'flapping' no matter how tight I made it. Just the slightest movement caused problems. At 70 mph you just can't avoid it. The clearcoat was definitely impacted by this. On a minivan, no big deal. On a sweet Mustang, I would have been real upset.
I didn't use anything on my Mustang trip to NY and I'm not going to again for San Diego. Bugs wash off and I avoid large trucks like the plague.
Yep, the bra I've looked at are just not tight enough to stop the flapping, and movement. Like you I'm not to concerned about the bugs. But, I've had the big 18 wheeler throw two rocks at my Vette, and didn't miss. So I know of what you speak about avoiding them.
Old 3/20/13, 10:34 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

I'm headed back down to SF Saturday, wife and I are driving separately as she is the one going for work, I'm coming back home monday.

I told her I'm leaving earlier than her and taking the "long" route.... can't wait!
Old 3/20/13, 11:05 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Xar
I'm headed back down to SF Saturday, wife and I are driving separately as she is the one going for work, I'm coming back home monday.

I told her I'm leaving earlier than her and taking the "long" route.... can't wait!
Enjoy! I envy you.
Old 3/21/13, 08:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm heading out in the morning for a few days; will probably put on 7-800 miles round trip. Best part is, I will be missing another **** snowstorm this weekend. My condolences to Getportfolio, mcate, and the other Hoosiers in the group. Please have INDOT clear off all the roads before I get home, OK? TYVM!

Quick Reply: Let's talk about road trips.....