General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

I must be on the wrong forum

Search this Thread

Old 12/10/07, 04:57 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I must be on the wrong forum

I've been hangin' around for a little over a month now. Contributed a few posts here and there but I think I joined the wrong Mustang forum.

Oh yes, there's plenty of folks professing their undying love for their chosen 'Stang. There's even some decent technical information.

What's strange is the almost apologetic tone when it comes to imports and Hi-end European makes.

I don't come to a Mustang Forum to hear about how great a BMW M3 is. I don't care how peppy the new Volkswagen is or how stylish the latest Lexus is. Yet say so and you're attacked by the very same Mustang faithful.

Which I'm sure will be the case immediately after this post....

I know the arguments, heard them again and again. I just wonder if this is unique to Mustang Forums. I like Mustangs and Camaros and Corvettes and Vipers. I don't like BMW's, Mercedes, AUDI etc. Some Ferrari's and Porsche's are ok but I'm not on a those forums.

I appreciate how competition drives innovation but I'd expect more support for the brand sitting on top of this Forum.

Maybe I was expecting a "Rah Rah" experience to make me feel even more pride in my chosen ride but never was I expecting anyone to treat a Mustang as a second fiddle also-ran to an import.

Old 12/10/07, 05:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm confused by what you're saying...... no disrespect meant.
Old 12/10/07, 05:13 PM
GT Member

I usually try to keep my opinions about the rice burners to myself, I will only buy american cars, so I hear ya

Originally Posted by elcaminoguy
I've been hangin' around for a little over a month now. Contributed a few posts here and there but I think I joined the wrong Mustang forum.

Oh yes, there's plenty of folks professing their undying love for their chosen 'Stang. There's even some decent technical information.

What's strange is the almost apologetic tone when it comes to imports and Hi-end European makes.

I don't come to a Mustang Forum to hear about how great a BMW M3 is. I don't care how peppy the new Volkswagen is or how stylish the latest Lexus is. Yet say so and you're attacked by the very same Mustang faithful.

Which I'm sure will be the case immediately after this post....

I know the arguments, heard them again and again. I just wonder if this is unique to Mustang Forums. I like Mustangs and Camaros and Corvettes and Vipers. I don't like BMW's, Mercedes, AUDI etc. Some Ferrari's and Porsche's are ok but I'm not on a those forums.

I appreciate how competition drives innovation but I'd expect more support for the brand sitting on top of this Forum.

Maybe I was expecting a "Rah Rah" experience to make me feel even more pride in my chosen ride but never was I expecting anyone to treat a Mustang as a second fiddle also-ran to an import.

Old 12/10/07, 06:10 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tom281
I'm confused by what you're saying...... no disrespect meant.
Short version,

I've seen lots of posts on this forum praising foreign makes that have nothing to do with Mustangs. I actually believe there are those on this forum that think a foreign car is better than whatever Mustang they own.

That's fine and to each his own but this is a Mustang forum after all and it's kind of strange to see so many posts about everything but Mustangs.

If you say anything against such a viewpoint you get a bunch of smart-a$$ remarks.

To me it's like going to a Mustang car show and finding a bunch of Volkswagens.

Old 12/10/07, 07:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Short version,

I've seen lots of posts on this forum praising foreign makes that have nothing to do with Mustangs. I actually believe there are those on this forum that think a foreign car is better than whatever Mustang they own.

That's fine and to each his own but this is a Mustang forum after all and it's kind of strange to see so many posts about everything but Mustangs.

If you say anything against such a viewpoint you get a bunch of smart-a$$ remarks.

I can see your thought process, but I can try to explain why this kind of thing happens. See, many Mustang owners love thier car. They like cars in general, working on them, driving them, talking about them, etc. That makes them car enthusiasts. That means that they can respect foreign marques when they create beautiful and powerful automobiles. A sane person can't run around wrapped in an egocentric, single minded bublble screaming "OMG MUSTANGS ARE THE BEST EVER LET ME RACE AH AH AH." If you wish to browse in such an enviroment, there are many other forums online that I am sure can fulfill your needs. If you want to be in a community of Mustang owners who have respect for their cars as well as other fine automobiles, I hope you hang around here.

PS: Noted you own a Bowtie and Pontiac. LOL makes me sound kind of dumb. But anyways, yeah at least I try not to be single-minded in anything I do, hence my personal attitude towards imports. Maybe not others, but w/e.
Old 12/10/07, 07:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

PS noted you own a Bowtie and a Pontiac. Makes me sound kind of dumb LOL. But anyways, at least I try to stay open minded with regards to nice cars. Maybe you don't see the same way, but each to their own.
Old 12/11/07, 08:04 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Short version,

Not to be rude, but there is always the option of staying out of the 'General Vehicle Discussion' section and not opening 'Which is Better' threads. 99% of this site is Mustang specific, as it should be, but there are other cars in the marketplace and from the past that people like to speak on. If you don’t want to read certain threads, don’t open them, and if you like, you can be proactive and start a Mustang thread.

I’ll continue to post, and speak on other makes/models because I like talking about other cars with people from TMS. There is a nice community of persons on TMS that enjoy other makes/models. Some compare to Mustangs, some don’t.

Old 12/11/07, 08:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Short version,

OK, I gotcha now..... I see what you're saying.

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
Not to be rude, but there is always the option of staying out of the 'General Vehicle Discussion' section and not opening 'Which is Better' threads. 99% of this site is Mustang specific, as it should be, but there are other cars in the marketplace and from the past that people like to speak on. If you don’t want to read certain threads, don’t open them, and if you like, you can be proactive and start a Mustang thread.

I’ll continue to post, and speak on other makes/models because I like talking about other cars with people from TMS. There is a nice community of persons on TMS that enjoy other makes/models. Some compare to Mustangs, some don’t.

+1 to this idea..... it's pretty much exactly what I do.
Old 12/11/07, 01:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Freedom of speach & to each theier very own ! Hoo Rah ! me I Love my Mustang !
Old 12/11/07, 03:03 PM
GT Member

I guess I'm just disillusioned...

See I realize that there are other cars and other tastes that go along with them. Again, as we all seem to be so fond of saying, to each his own.

I'm just surprised that so much effort gets put into topics about other makes on a site that is specific to a certain marque. I don't usually see that in forums that are specific to a marque or vehicle. The most I usually see is some foreign division of the marque that has a vehicle that may come over to the U.S.
Or maybe the occasional user boast of how they spanked a Z3 or something.

As suggested to me earlier, the fans of other makes can also feel free to frequent other sites more in tune with their more "sophisticated" tastes. I'm just not the Motor Trend or Automobile magazine type so I get a little sick of hearing the rehash of the marketing I get bombarded with every day.

If I see another Lexus commercial with some overpriced Japanese Taurus clone with a bow on top or some egomaniacal BMW commercial I'm gonna toss my cookies.

This is why it sticks in my craw.

Yeah, I'll be avoiding the General section. Not my kind of topics I guess...
God forbid someone sticks up for the domestics on a Mustang forum...
Old 12/11/07, 03:25 PM
Cobra Member

If I see another Lexus commercial with some overpriced Japanese Taurus clone with a bow on top or some egomaniacal BMW commercial I'm gonna toss my cookies.

This is why it sticks in my craw.

Yeah, I'll be avoiding the General section. Not my kind of topics I guess...
God forbid someone sticks up for the domestics on a Mustang forum...
Why? Lexus and BMW are great cars.....FOR ME TO POOP ON!
Old 12/11/07, 03:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Old 12/11/07, 03:50 PM
Cobra Member

well sometimes the domestics arent the best.
sadly its true, sometimes they blow away the competition and other times they just suck.

someone wanted this forum to be biased.
Old 12/11/07, 03:52 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I like a lot of different cars.
I have owned many different makes.
I am keeping my S197 Mustang probably for the rest of my life.
There are a lot of cars I like, but this is the one I had to have.
Old 12/11/07, 04:12 PM
Cobra Member

This is my mustang. There are many others like it but this one is mine...
Old 12/11/07, 04:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts

Nice ride lol
Old 12/11/07, 04:40 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Glenn

Nice ride lol
for me to POOP ON!
Old 12/11/07, 04:40 PM
Cobra Member

oooo la la!!!
Old 12/12/07, 06:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn

Nice ride lol
bmw 550i v8 4.8l 360hp 360tq at 3400rpm 17 to 25mpg
did you toss your cookies yet?
Old 12/12/07, 06:40 AM
Cobra Member

I agree with you. I don't think the site should be used for non-mustang news. There have been several posts on this site on this subject. There are folks posting about different barbecues,disasters, house prices plus foreign cars. Freedom of speech being what it is in the USA and Canada people can say what they want. But the mustang site should be strictly mustang related. Lately I have become a select forum reader...if the post suggest anything other than mustang related news, I simply ignore the post. I hear ya........"Me likey my stang! I only opened this post to see why you were on the wrong forum.

Quick Reply: I must be on the wrong forum