General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Hydrophobic Windshield Treatment

Search this Thread

Old 4/5/12, 06:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hydrophobic Windshield Treatment

Does anyone know what water/rain repellent product Ford uses on their windshields installed at the factory?

I got my windshield replaced this past week and the new glass doesn't repel water the way the OEM glass did. I know that I could use Rain-X but the OEM windshield was still repelling water even after a year of owning the car and if I could get my hands on some of Fords stuff that would be awesome. Also if there are any better products on the market I would love to hear about them as well.

Here is one I found.

Aquapel.

http://www.aquapel.com/Aquapel-Autom...plications.php
Old 4/5/12, 10:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Why didn't you get an OEM replacement?
Old 4/5/12, 11:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't comment I what ford uses, but I can give a thumbs up for aquapel. It's like rainx but lasts way longer.
Old 4/5/12, 11:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Kinyodas
Why didn't you get an OEM replacement?
That is an excellent question. And the answer is very simple but also compound. First I got a new windshield from Safelite because a windshield from Ford would be $338 plus I would have to take it to an installer and pay to have it installed. I got the new windshield from Safelite for $258 out the door. Plus the windshields hydrophobic properties never entered my mind till I hit some rain the day after I had it replaced! LOL I mean, its just regular ole safety glass just like every other windshield (except the special pony logo of course). So now I'm exploring using an aftermarket treatment to get the same effect.
Old 4/5/12, 01:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After the fact, but glass coverage for < $5/month FTW!
Old 4/5/12, 01:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by wheelman
Which insurance company or is it with all of them?
Old 4/5/12, 01:07 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelman

And they'll put an aftermarket windshield in it. There have been discussions on here in the past where people had to replace their windshield and the insurance company wouldn't replace it with the Ford windshield with the pony on it.
Old 4/5/12, 02:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
And they'll put an aftermarket windshield in it. There have been discussions on here in the past where people had to replace their windshield and the insurance company wouldn't replace it with the Ford windshield with the pony on it.
I opted for the windshield without the pony anyway. I saw no need to pay extra for something you can barely see. And if I put brow tint to shade the sun it will hide the pony anyway. I talked with a parts guy and service guy with Ford and neither were aware that Ford does anything special to the windshields of their cars or trucks. So with that being said I think I will just buy one of the aftermarket kits which equates to waxing the windshield basically. Should last longer than Rain-X and do the job.
Old 4/5/12, 02:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Then get better insurance.
Old 4/5/12, 03:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts

and or
http://www.autogeek.net/waterspots.h...FeUEQAodaFw1cg
If you glass is very clean it will do a good job of repelling the rain.
Old 4/8/12, 05:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RobDis
I opted for the windshield without the pony anyway. I saw no need to pay extra for something you can barely see. And if I put brow tint to shade the sun it will hide the pony anyway. I talked with a parts guy and service guy with Ford and neither were aware that Ford does anything special to the windshields of their cars or trucks. So with that being said I think I will just buy one of the aftermarket kits which equates to waxing the windshield basically. Should last longer than Rain-X and do the job.
Just a thought..if you take your car to a drive through, touch less car wash on a regular basis, it may have had the Rain-X treatment as part of the wash process. The one I use, when the weather is bad, has an underbody scrub, and rain-X treatment as part of the final rinse process.
Old 4/8/12, 05:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
Just a thought..if you take your car to a drive through, touch less car wash on a regular basis, it may have had the Rain-X treatment as part of the wash process. The one I use, when the weather is bad, has an underbody scrub, and rain-X treatment as part of the final rinse process.
The only car wash I have used has been the manual kind. I go blow all the big dust and particles off before I wash since my house water pressure won't go that high. That is a good possibility though. There is no telling what they put in those car wash's.
Old 4/8/12, 05:50 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

I had mine done by AAA glass replacement. I was lucky, I have Amica and they asked if mine had a pony and I said yes. They then asked if I wanted the replacement to have one, I said yes again and they replaced it with an OEM Ford windshield.