General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

EEk

Search this Thread

Old 7/31/05, 10:26 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dropped the kids off at my mothers and it started raining a little.

I took off to make a right, and hit the gas a little hard........I turned her around!! An involuntary donut.

Els not hurt, and I didn't pee myself too bad... But dang. Driving a car with no ABS or TC can be an adventure sometimes..

Anyone else have amusing stories like this?
Old 7/31/05, 10:48 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh April, I hope your not setting yourself up for some flaming w/ this one...

I've got the TC, and all my donuts are voluntary!

Glad you and Eleanor are safe.
Old 7/31/05, 10:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

No not really...glad to hear your okay though. Before I leave my house I usually check if the road is dry first, if it is then I'll turn off the TC other than that it stays on most of the time. ( D@mn rainy season!! :bang: )
Old 7/31/05, 10:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some advice slow down at least 10 - 20 mph when it starts raining. Or you'll end up losing your baby.. Trust me Dont' go the speed limit
Old 7/31/05, 11:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Watch out...it takes very little for you to get hurt...Take it easy if the roads are even a tiny bit slippery (it doesn't take a lot of rain to make a road really dangerous...)...You were lucky this time...learn from it...
Old 7/31/05, 11:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Donuts are fun! Especially the smokey parking lot kind

The involuntary ones aren't good though... RWD + slick pavement = be careful
Old 7/31/05, 11:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

The slickest times are when it just starts sprinkling !!! and when it cleared up and starts to dry the roads.
Old 8/1/05, 05:17 AM
Team Mustang Source

The only time it happened to me was the day I picked my car up. Since I did not know the power of the beast I was a little heavy on the gas turning left at a light. It was raining lightly and the road was slick. The rear end spun around the tires squealed and then grabbed at the right time so I was now facing in the direction I wanted to go and the beast just took off. It freaked me out for a second but then I was thinking everyone that was sitting at the intersection thought I did it intentionally. So I looked cool even though I could have lost it. btw, the tc was on.
Old 8/1/05, 07:09 AM
Bullitt Member

I haven't done it in either of our 05's, but I did it in my first mustang, a 91 GT. It was misting all night, and I went to make a left too hard and too fast, and ended up spinning in two donuts resulting in facing the opposite direction I had intended.
Old 8/1/05, 07:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

I have fishtailed in the rain a little when I first got my 05 but never spun around. You must have really got on it to turn it all the way around.
Old 8/1/05, 07:39 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

All the way around as in facing where I was........

It had JUST started raining. When it is full on raining, I drive her like Grandma.
Old 8/1/05, 08:00 AM
Cobra Member

It was a sunday morning, round 6am when I get off work. No traffic and it had been sprinkling here. I go to turn left, but before I do I turn TC off because I know I can get a little fish tail on the 4 lane street I'm turning onto. I give it just a little gas as the turn is almost complete, just to break it loose a little. The car did a complete 360. Had anyone seen me they would have probably thought I did it on purpose, it was that controlled looking. As it slung the rear to the front I was just hoping I wouldnt hit a curb. I looked around to ensure no one saw my stupidity and kept on truckin like it was intentional. Was pretty neat, kinda wanted to go back and try again :P
Old 8/1/05, 08:01 AM
Cobra Member

Did this on a New Jersey Turnpike onramp, middle of the afternoon. Just started to rain, merging into the road, gunned it, car 180'ed.

For some reason at that time for about 1/3 mile of road behind me - now in front of me - was clear. Mid afternoon and there were no cars around.

But I could see them coming up the road. Gunned it again, 180'ed intentionally and got the heck outta there.

This was all in my 1970 Mustang, 351W, fat tires on the back, and I was younger and more foolish then.

Well, younger anyway.
Old 8/1/05, 08:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts
Did one of those on an off-ramp in my 69 Mustang 20 years ago. Took the off-ramp and the next thing I knew the car was swapping ends. When it was over I was slowly rolling backwards towards the inside guard rail. Didn't hit anything, just tapped on the brakes, sat there for a moment (no traffic, 12:30am) caught my breath and moved on.

Much more slowly.
Old 8/1/05, 08:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by EleanorsMine@August 1, 2005, 7:42 AM
All the way around as in facing where I was........

It had JUST started raining. When it is full on raining, I drive her like Grandma.
Most people figure that since the road isn't very wet that it must not be very slick, but this is actually untrue. Most of the time it is more dangerous when it has just started raining or is only sprinkling than you think. At times like this, the water is mixing with the oil on the road. Since oil and water don't mix, this creates a very slick surface. Since it isn't raining very hard, the oil doesn't get washed off the road and just sits there.
Old 8/1/05, 10:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

When I first bought my stang I was in a residential neighborhood and as I was taking a right turn from a stop sign I did a 180 also. I had the music loud and couldn't hear how loud and far the RPMs were up and peeled out and ended up facing the opposite way I was originally trying to turn. I almost pooed my pants as there were cars on one side of the street parked.
Old 8/1/05, 05:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, I haven't spun fully, but, one rainy morning I took the turn into my work parking garage a little fast. It's almost a complete U-turn, as you come up to the enterance, turn right into it and keep turning right to start going up the ramp.

I had TC off (usually do), and I do have ABS, so I only fishtailed further to the right a little and spun the wheels until they grabbed and popped me back forward. It was kinda cool actually.
Old 8/1/05, 07:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Fishtailed mine once. Like all the others, just lightly sprinkling, got on it too heavy turning left at a light, broke the rear end loose, put the nose pointing into the opposite lane :shock: , overcorrected right, heading for the curb :shock: , and then got her back going the right way! Kind of fun in retrospect, but terrifying at the time!

This was with TCS on, BTW. Where were you when I needed you, TCS?!?!
Old 8/1/05, 10:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Take it from me slow down or you'll be beggin insurance to pay off and get you another one.
Old 8/2/05, 10:15 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Every day is an adventure in Eleanor.

The day after I got her I did the same thing. I tend to like to get on the fun pedal a little bit when I take off.

Quick Reply: EEk